DaRK SoULS 2 two more weeks!!

I'm enjoying the game, but I made a really stupid mistake, because I didn't bother to read any spoilers about the game. Due to the non-respawning nature of the game, I screwed up badly as I was farming souls for gear rather than leveling up.
Just drop a white soapstone sign, when you kill a boss that way you'll get an easy 15-20k souls. It surely beats farming random enemies.

Is this game better than the first?

You might get some varying answers depending on who you ask, but generally I think most fans would say it is. It's definitely larger and it makes for a longer game. I also found it to be a bit less frustrating.
Gameplay is mostly the same.
The item modification process has been streamlined and you can even re-spec your character several times per pass if you want/need.
If you liked the first one, there's about a 90% chance you'll like this one. The opposite is also true.

As player killer game? No. Its not as hard as the first and it has many features that were requested by the more general audience. Its also not quite as dark (no pun intended) in terms of story and atmosphere. The bosses are also not quite as hard.

Its still a Dark Souls game yes but its not quite as punishing as the first. Right now there is a Steam sale on it so I would grab it. It'll give you lots of gameplay for the money and the PVP can be pretty fun if you are creative.

they did some good things with DS2, but IMO the lore, environment & integration of the first is better. DS2 weapons also have become a mess. Str gives more scaling but you would expect dex to use less stamina and be faster to compensate. That is not the case. So the easy choice is just to use a claymore.

Souls veterans will nitpick every little detail in the 2nd game they don't like, but in the end we will all agree that DS1 is a 9/10 game, and DS2 is a 9/10 game. They are just.... different.

However I will say, if you are looking very much for the online aspect of the series, 2 will be the better game by far. There are more areas for summoning, you have the ability much sooner in the game, there are LOTS of people at all times.... Now SP? What day is it today? DS2 is better. And I will say the opposite tomorrow.

It doesn't matter which you get. You will love it regardless, but both games are so different, there is a huge difference in the experience and you will want to experience both if possible. (Not talking about technical limitations/fixes either)

There's a lot of little refinements and added bits of depth which improve the gameplay and mechanics.

leveal/area design is more multi-tiered and generally better, from a gameplay standpoint.

Along with that, enemy placement flat out better and generally makes for much better PVE encounters. This and the previous point, reminds me of Demon's Souls.

The online systems also work better and the the netcode is much better, which should not be understated. These games have always had unique, innovative online systems which had been greatly hindered by sub-par netcode. DS2 has noticeably improved things.

DS2 is a better game in most facets. DS1 does get a clear win in overall lore and the visuals are more cohesive*. But, that has become less important to me, the more I have played DS2.

*What I mean is this: Much like Demon's and Dark Souls before it, Dark Souls 2 does not lack interesting places to look at. But, it doesn't always look completely like the same game.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the game, but there were some parts where they try to overwhelm you with numbers. I also wasn't really digging the whole weapon durability thing, but it wasn't a huge deal and forced me to play with many different types of weapons. Although, enemies were weak to various types of melee damage as it is, so that alone forced me to carry both slash and strike type equipment.

the other nitpick, more about the story. the characters don't really have any conclusion. everyone moves to majula or gets more inventory and that is it. In DS1 most of the characters have a tragic ending, and if you kill the wrong ones you are boned.

could never get past the way player movement felt in ds2 compared to DeS/DS1. you can tell this was made by a different team. IMO this was essentially a Dark Souls simulator. did refine a lot of things but it also fucked a lot of things up that it didnt need to

enjoying bloodborne way more than ds2. night and day in quality

Back