Dark Souls 2 PC - April 25, 2014

I thought it was obvious saves wouldn't carry over to the DX11 version...it's a new version of the game...I just don't understand why they are releasing a DX9 version of SOTFS...the whole point of it was the graphics upgrade

They misspelled functionalities, so hopefully it's not real.

no they didn't...that's the correct spelling

no they didn't...that's the correct spelling

They spell it 2 different ways on the same chart. At the top it's spelled correctly but on the left it has two N's.

Also, while different, there have been games that have different versions (including DX9 vs. 10 and 10 vs. 11) that can still use the same saves. The fact that it can't shows that there's something majorly different under the hood.

Me no care if saves don't come over to DX11, because the graphics overhaul will be the perfect excuse to start over and see the game from a fresh start anyway.

I played this game a lot on the ps3 and always found lots of summon signs and could be summoned very quickly.

I re bought this game for the pc recently. One thing I am noticing is that I have never once been summoned, and it's pretty rare that I see summon signs. Granted, I am only SL 27 right now and about 8 hours into the game.

Is the pc version that dead as far as online play?

I played this game a lot on the ps3 and always found lots of summon signs and could be summoned very quickly.

I re bought this game for the pc recently. One thing I am noticing is that I have never once been summoned, and it's pretty rare that I see summon signs. Granted, I am only SL 27 right now and about 8 hours into the game.

I'd equate this to two things. 1 the game is older now and less people are playing it and 2 From what I have seen PC players typically play with their friends and already maxed out their summoned count. I know when I invade its almost always into a 3 man team.

I get summoned pretty constantly even when starting from scratch. I also summon regularly. Was there a network setting in DS2 or am I thinking of DS1?

I should ad that when I first started playing I would seem more summon signs but every time I tried to summon it failed. I am now using DSCfix and I rarely see a summon sign, but once I was able to summon another player (not an NPC).

I should ad that when I first started playing I would seem more summon signs but every time I tried to summon it failed. I am now using DSCfix and I rarely see a summon sign, but once I was able to summon another player (not an NPC).

are you talking about Dark Souls 1 or Dark Souls 2. dark souls 1 should be mostly dead.

He is talking about DS1

DSCfix is obsolete, it worked off of gfwl favorite list, currently you should only have dsfix, don't believe dsmfix works any more...

My apologies, I meant to post in the Dark Souls thread and after reading the posts realized I posted in DS2 thread.

the new Scholar of the First Sin patch is due out this Thursday...looking forward to replaying the game and seeing all the new changes

the new Scholar of the First Sin patch is due out this Thursday...looking forward to replaying the game and seeing all the new changes

February is the free patch. April is the visual upgrade (which remains to really be shown) DX11 version and PS4/Xbone verisons.

February is the free patch. April is the visual upgrade (which remains to really be shown) DX11 version and PS4/Xbone verisons.

yes, that's what I said...the free patch is coming out this Thursday which adds the extra gameplay, NPC's etc

Any idea how much new content this adds? Is is a full-on new DLC section (like the others) or is it mainly adding additional content to the existing areas?

you can see some of the 'new enemy placement' that was hyped for SOTFS in that trailer...

-in the starting 'Things Betwixt' area you now get a Pursuer along with the cave trolls

-Flexile Sentry in Sinner's Rise?

-Vengarl's body in Shaded Woods

I'll wait for a Steam sale...the DX11 graphics don't look at that different from the current PC version...I guess hope of them incorporating the original E3 graphics are now dead...

Does the patch affect current playthroughs? I'm about halfway through a game right now, that I started a few weeks ago, and I'd rather not have to restart the game.

Does the patch affect current playthroughs? I'm about halfway through a game right now, that I started a few weeks ago, and I'd rather not have to restart the game.

the patch won't effect much...you'll just miss some possible NPC's and or enhanced item descriptions...the DX11 upgrade in April requires a new playthrough

people are reporting that the patch is now available on Steam (1 day early)...anyone playing?...I won't be able to until Friday...I'm hearing good things about the new Scholar NPC

The new NPC is pretty much end game content. I grabbed this of the steam forums and have confirmed the new npc 1 and 2:
1) New ring from Straid.
2) New NPC in:

1.Place after Rotten fight.
2.Undead Crypt 1st bonfire
3.Dragon Shrine 1st bonfire
4.Thrown of Want (Nashandra fight is a must thing to see this guy here)

3) New 'dark' game ending ('light' ending is the same)

Thats all.

PS: Somebody says:
1) Vendrick must be defeated to see him after Nash - in my world he was defeated)
2) To see him at the first time - all other 3 great bonfires must be lighted
A second ending to the game was added. So here it is.

With these new characters - are there additional areas and or battles?

My only savegames have the whole world pretty much dead. All of the bosses, all of the DLC, all of the optional stuff, etc.

the changes seem pretty cool...

the Scholar of the First Sin NPC is now the final boss in the game...he also turns out to be Aldia...some are saying you need all 3 DLC crowns plus Vendrick's blessing to get to the Scholar boss fight but others are saying all you need is Vendrick's crown

I hear the updated lore is well done with the new patch...much better then before...we now get more details on King Vendrick, The Giants etc

I just started my first ng+ the night before the new patch dropped, so I'm not sure if some of the new enemy placements I'm seeing are just ng+ or if they're part of the patch. Sure are a shitload of red phantoms now, but maybe that's how it was before?? Looking forward to reading some of the new lore, the existing lore was really, really vague. I don't mind leaving some things to the imagination, but I had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on by the end of the game. I had to read a lot of speculation on the fan forums to piece much of anything together. I know a lot of pc gamers are pissed about From releasing a new version of the game, but I think its pretty cool of them to give us anything at all for a year old game.

The red phantoms are a NG+ thing, although the new patch might have added even more. I found that they decreased in number toward the end sections of the game, so maybe they evened that out. Early on they were everywhere. Once you get out of Drangleic, there are only a few that show up in very specific places. There are a bunch in the DLC areas, though. There's one in particular (Maldron the Assassin) that might be the single funniest moment in the entire game.

Publisher Bandai Namco has confirmed that Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin edition will run at 60fps/1080p on next-gen consoles...this enhanced edition will also host upgraded lighting effects and cinematic filters...IGN has a comparison video detailing how the PS4 build stacks up to its last-gen and PC brethren...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIamYTb3AcU

I think they over-did the lighting on the PS4...everything looks too bright and washed out...the PC version looks better...hopefully thy won't screw up the lighting on the DX11 version

Wow yeah that looks bad, i though ign screwed up the their capture method but no it looks like everything has a bright white light being cast on it.

Last edited:
That PS4 footage shows different lighting, but no real difference/upgrade anywhere.
Are they holding the DX11 footage? Cause up till now, I haven't seen one shot that shows any upgrade.

Pretty sure that is still current PC footage.

PS4 looks like complete shit, hopefully the April PC version will look significantly better and have higher textures as well.

Publisher Bandai Namco has confirmed that Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin edition will run at 60fps/1080p on next-gen consoles...this enhanced edition will also host upgraded lighting effects and cinematic filters...IGN has a comparison video detailing how the PS4 build stacks up to its last-gen and PC brethren...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIamYTb3AcU

I think they over-did the lighting on the PS4...everything looks too bright and washed out...the PC version looks better...hopefully thy won't screw up the lighting on the DX11 version

reminiscent of the mod preset I made shortly after release and still use to this day: SweetGeDo64

there's no way I'm paying for that

That PS4 footage shows different lighting, but no real difference/upgrade anywhere.
Are they holding the DX11 footage? Cause up till now, I haven't seen one shot that shows any upgrade.

PS4 is definitely running at a higher resolution and framerate compared to PS3. The lighting, however, is nonsensical. Way too bright and the colors are wrong. It should not look like it's noon in Majula where the sun is always setting (rising?).

finished a new playthrough with the 1.10 patch...improved the game in many ways...the best change is that the game now gives you a choice of ending similar to Dark Souls 1...I also love some of the smaller changes such as more Human Effigy drops (before you could run out of Effigy's which was ridiculous because you need them for the Dark Chasm of Old area), the Cale the Cartographer map story now makes more sense as they changed one of the flames from Nashandra to Throne Watcher/Defender, and the orange highlight around active bonfires is very nice as well...as far as the Scholar of the First Sin boss, he's kinda disappointing...easy to kill...but his presence throughout the game as an NPC was interesting

in my opinion I think the upcoming DX11 update is really meant to increase the difficulty of the overall game...new enemy placement etc will make things harder...I think this gives From Software a chance to appease critics who thought the base game was a bit too easy (compared to the first game)...the DLC was fantastic due to the crazy difficulty of some of the challenge bosses and this update will (hopefully) make more of the base game as difficult

Dark souls 2 has a product placement in jupiter ascending. Just a few seconds of a kid playing where he is fighting some stone knights. pretty cool. the music was not from the game, to be expected since they would have to pay royalties

It's down to Fume Knight and Kalameet, and I spent a few days on Kalameet.
Now this Fume Knight fellow... we've been fighting for weeks...

I hate the fume knight. I finally did it with the two npc summons. But it took me two weeks

I haven't had the time to play this yet, but want to soon. Is there anything I've missed out on by waiting? Seems like the patches are changing quite a bit.

Back