Dark Souls 2 PC - April 25, 2014

I just picked up a controller for some of the indie games I have, and $37 is only $4 more than I paid for Titanfail, decisions.....

Just activated my code from Amazon; good to know I'll be getting the pre-order bonuses as well.
Is there a way to pre-load to a secondary drive?

Is there a way to pre-load to a secondary drive?

Heh, I ran into this same issue. My Steam games are all on a secondary SSD now. What you can do is use primary Steam path temporarily for the preloaded (encrypted) game files, then after game unlocks, use normal process of moving a Steam game to another drive:

1) Preload to default Steam path and then wait until game unlocks and game files are decrypted by Steam
2) Move game folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\SteamApps\common\Dark Souls II) to secondary Steam path (i.e. D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dark Souls II)
3) In Steam library, right click Dark Souls II -> Delete Local Content
4) Double click Dark Souls II to install game, then select your secondary Steam path from the dropdown (D:\Steam, or whatever) and it will verify game files and be done.

Last edited:
Called the gamestop here, there was still time, even though they will be getting them tomorrow morning. I wasn't going to do this, but..... Placed my CE order. Picking it up after work at 3pm

nice!...I think this is one of the rare Collector's editions that's actually worth it...my local GameStop store told me that they won't be stocking any PC Collector's versions unless it is ordered by the customer beforehand

less then 24 hours!...I haven't been this hyped for a game since the release of Half Life 2!

it's now official...Dark Souls 2 PC to unlock early

Namco Bandai has bumped up the time Dark Souls 2 will unlock on Steam...Previously, the release and unlock date was April 25th but the publisher has confirmed that you’ll now be able to play From Software’s sequel on the glorious PC platform a little earlier

According to a post on Namco’s tumblr page, the new date and time for Dark Souls 2 to unlock on Steam is April 24th at 3pm Pacific time (6pm Eastern.)...It’s a worldwide release, so that’ll translate to 11pm in the UK and equivalent times all around the globe

:)

Graphics don't look that advanced.... hoping it'll be good still.

holy shit! :eek:

man, and i didnt even started the first one.. without reading the 25 pages of this thread, this one is related? like a continuation from the first one? DO i have to play the first one? or can i just jump on this one and i wont miss anything because its a new story?

Just jump in on this one. It's a pretty unique experience to be playing it for the first time with everyone else. You don't need to know the story from the first game. But you really do owe to yourself to eventually go back and play Dark Souls.

Im waiting for graphics comparisons on this one. If it has the same downgrades the console version did for the reveal i wont be buying it. Also depends on whether or not the port is any good. I always read the port of Dark Souls 1 was garbage

Im waiting for graphics comparisons on this one. If it has the same downgrades the console version did for the reveal i wont be buying it. Also depends on whether or not the port is any good. I always read the port of Dark Souls 1 was garbage

It does have the same "downgrade" as the console version, if that's what you insist on calling it. On the other hand, it seems to perform very efficiently, has up to 60fps, HD+ resolutions, higher res textures, and ability to tweak other settings as well. There is no technical reason why you shouldn't play this game. The only thing stopping you is your pride.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/17/dark-souls-2-pc-port-mod-god-durantes-verdict/
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/dark-souls-2-pc-tweaking-guide/

It does have the same "downgrade" as the console version, if that's what you insist on calling it. On the other hand, it seems to perform very efficiently, has up to 60fps, HD+ resolutions, higher res textures, and ability to tweak other settings as well. There is no technical reason why you shouldn't play this game. The only thing stopping you is your pride.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/17/dark-souls-2-pc-port-mod-god-durantes-verdict/
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/dark-souls-2-pc-tweaking-guide/

Or the fact that i dislike mis-advertisement that takes place in reveals? The lighting affects in the console version were/are absolute garbage compared to the reveal videos. False Advertising at its best.
Nor do I appreciate obvious money grabs such as a shitty port that was extremely lazy/quickly done in an attempt for more sales as opposed to a quality port.

Are the minimum and recommended system specs messed up for AMD Cards?

The Minimum is a 5870 and the Recommended is a 6870..

But the 5870 is actually a faster card t han the 6870 unless a lot of Tesselation is used.

does DS2 use Tesselation at all?

Or the fact that i dislike mis-advertisement that takes place in reveals? The lighting affects in the console version were/are absolute garbage compared to the reveal videos. False Advertising at its best.
Nor do I appreciate obvious money grabs such as a shitty port that was extremely lazy/quickly done in an attempt for more sales as opposed to a quality port.

The DS2 PC port is quality.

They ported DS1 because the demand from the fans was so high. They straight up said "we don't know pc programming so we simply ported it over without improvements". They were honest about it. It wasn't cash grab motivated, they aren't EA.

Regarding the lighting changes and so forth. That happens in products all the time (not just games). Hence disclaimers "This may not represent the final product". That just how life is now. I commend you for standing up for your principles though.

They ported DS1 because the demand from the fans was so high. They straight up said "we don't know pc programming so we simply ported it over without improvements". They were honest about it. It wasn't cash grab motivated, they aren't EA.

Regarding the lighting changes and so forth. That happens in products all the time (not just games). Hence disclaimers "This may not represent the final product". That just how life is now. I commend you for standing up for your principles though.

It helps that i don't find the Dark Souls games to be must play game :p

I enjoy them sure, but not to the point that It will make me pick it up and play it over Diablo III or FFXIV currently. That being said if this is truely a quality port, supports Mouse and Keyboard input better than the previous I may pick it up. Single player gaming is something I've somewhat lost sight of after spending years/thousands of hours in WOW, and shooters online then Diablo III. Maybe this will get me back into that single player groove

That's fantastic they pushed the date. Though, I haven't finished the first Dark Souls, I'm still going to download this to my SSD asap.

Looking forward to playing this over the weekend. I actually thought it unlocked last night since there was an additional pre-load that came though. The little "Pre-Load" icon in Steam turned to "Play" for a second...but then it reverted.

Same here I shelved DS1 for a long time and started playing it again recently but never finished it. I definitely won't be able to finish it before I tonight. I just got to the Crystal Cave too (what a pain in the rear this place is lol). Looks like I'll be shelving DS1 again for a while again, tonight I'll be playing DS2. :)

I'm excited for you all here that will be seeing the game for the first time today.

After 200 hours played from the console release of DS2, which included four playthroughs and maxing out 7 of the 9 covenants, I was actually ready to double dip with the pc version today. Good thing I have laid off the game these last four days and so the need to play is not that strong in my system right now.

Be prepared to not have enough sleep this next month. :)

I gave up the first one since I didn't have a pad.
Would I need one on this?

IMO and yours Dark Souls needed a game pad. Dark Souls 2 controls virtually the same so I'd guess yes a gamepad will serve you best.

I know I'll be using either my USB ps3 or Xbox360 controller as the controls in this game a re spot on that way.

I gave up the first one since I didn't have a pad.
Would I need one on this?
If you want to have the best possible experience, I'd say treat yourself to a gamepad. When I first started playing Dark Souls 1, I was using the Xbox 360 controller and have recently switched to using my DualShock 4.

I'm sure there are other gamepads that'll work fine but those are the two I have used and fully suggest. Though, for the DualShock 4, you'll need DS4 To XInput Wrapper.

picked up my Collector's Edition from GameStop a few minutes ago...looks even better up close...no regrets that I spent the extra $$ on the CE...I think I'm going to keep the Knight figurine in its plastic enclosure for the time being until I find a suitable spot for it...the art book and map are high quality

is it 6:00 PM EST yet? :p

If you want to have the best possible experience, I'd say treat yourself to a gamepad.

This. DS1 is what made me a believer in some games simply being better with a controller, even on PC. Plus the wireless receiver for my xbox360 controller only cost about $8 on Amazon, so it was very inexpensive to implement.

This. DS1 is what made me a believer in some games simply being better with a controller, even on PC. Plus the wireless receiver for my xbox360 controller only cost about $8 on Amazon, so it was very inexpensive to implement.

wait a second... you can get just a wireless receiver?

link?

If thats the case i see no reason to buy it on the PC. If the upgrades are minor and still no where near the reveal videos why buy it on the more capable platform only to play it with a gamepad anyways? My monitor is only 1080 anyways. Is it frame locked?

wait a second... you can get just a wireless receiver?

link?

If you already have a wireless Xbox360 controller? Yes. Here's the one I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261240382210

They have them on Amazon as well for 3 bucks more if you have Prime and want it faster.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Pc-Gaming-Receiver-Xbox-xbox360/dp/B0076HD2W8/
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Wireless-Receiver-compatible-Xbox-controller/dp/B0096PLB9O/

NOTE: These are all the same.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If thats the case i see no reason to buy it on the PC. If the upgrades are minor and still no where near the reveal videos why buy it on the more capable platform only to play it with a gamepad anyways? My monitor is only 1080 anyways. Is it frame locked?

The benefits of playing DS2 on PC instead of a console goes far beyond mere input device. You should probably go read Durante's DS2 articles on PCGamer to get up to speed. This will get you started: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/17/dark-souls-2-pc-port-mod-god-durantes-verdict/

Better textures, instantaneous load times instead of "glacial" on console, 60FPS+, playing with ultra-sharp downsampled 4K or 8K, the list goes on, its already been covered in this thread. The console version is also only 720 native, so there's that.

Last edited:

A page or two back in this thread there's some articles by Durante which go into all the extra stuff they've added for the PC release.

The bottom line is that it will look better on PC in a number of ways.

If you already have a wireless Xbox360 controller? Yes. Here's the one I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261240382210

They have them on Amazon as well for 3 bucks more if you have Prime and want it faster.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Pc-Gaming-Receiver-Xbox-xbox360/dp/B0076HD2W8/
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Wireless-Receiver-compatible-Xbox-controller/dp/B0096PLB9O/

NOTE: These are all the same.

Wow thanks guys. I had no idea this kinda thing existed. That's a shame too. I made my buddy go buy a wired 360 remote to play DS1, whereas i could have just had him get one of these ><

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

A. I'm not sure what you are implying here about controller usage? That somehow it is inferior or something? Every input device has merit and is as valid as any user that may use it. Dark Souls plays amazing with a controller.

B. You still get resolution options and the rather easily attainable possibility of much higher and/or more consistent framerate.

It's capped at 60fps.

A page or two back in this thread there's some articles by Durante which go into all the extra stuff they've added for the PC release.

The bottom line is that it will look better on PC in a number of ways.

snip

I cant view those sites at work but i will look when i get home

A. I'm not sure what you are implying here about controller usage? That somehow it is inferior or something? Every input device has merit and is as valid as any user that may use it. Dark Souls plays amazing with a controller.

B. You still get resolution options and the rather easily attainable possibility of much higher and/or more consistent framerate.

It's capped at 60fps.

It being capped at 60 FPS makes me not want to buy it period. I dont understand why devs ever ever ever cap framerate

Regarding the lighting changes and so forth. That happens in products all the time (not just games). Hence disclaimers "This may not represent the final product".

Man I thought people were done with this revisionist history.

The amount of misdirection/misrepresentation/lying by omission/etc here is nearly unprecedented. This was not business as usual or really even business as occasional. and is incredibly surprising, from a developer whom is historically fairly humble and honest. Particularly with the Souls games.

The only confirmed disclaimer I have ever found on Dark Souls 2 material (and believe me, I saw most of the preview material as it debuted and recently dug hard to look back through nearly all of it) they only disclaimer I could find is in the "making of" videos posted by IGN. They disclaimered footage that looks similar to the ACTUAL game. and proceeded to edit in much better looking early demo footage, without a disclaimer, in such a way that a person could easily assume the final game is meant to look like that. Especially since the less good looking footage has a disclaimer on it.

* I did also see one single piece of a screenshots with a disclaimer, that was cropped to only show the disclaimer text. I assume it was from the network beta, which I was not able to play myself. It may also have been from a static image/advertisement. It was not from any of the trailers.

It helps that i don't find the Dark Souls games to be must play game :p

I enjoy them sure, but not to the point that It will make me pick it up and play it over Diablo III or FFXIV currently. That being said if this is truely a quality port, supports Mouse and Keyboard input better than the previous I may pick it up. Single player gaming is something I've somewhat lost sight of after spending years/thousands of hours in WOW, and shooters online then Diablo III. Maybe this will get me back into that single player groove

The souls games contain some of the most innovative multiplayer and online features, of the entire last generation.

Ah, yes, the dark souls demographic would be those that didn't like D3.

While I would personally agree that any Souls game is better than Diablo 3, I think the main/loudest people that didn't like D3 are the people who supported D2 for years and years (I wasn't one of those long term players). I don't think Dark Souls really has a place in that fight. It could certainly be a nice way to forget about D3, though! ; )

Last edited:
It being capped at 60 FPS makes me not want to buy it period. I dont understand why devs ever ever ever cap framerate

Nor I. I wish i understood why framerates can mess with things like physics engines and the like. Or like in Skyrim where you'd change the Timescale and plates would fly off shelves.

Shouldn't these things be completely independant form each other?

Nor I. I wish i understood why framerates can mess with things like physics engines and the like. Or like in Skyrim where you'd change the Timescale and plates would fly off shelves.

Shouldn't these things be completely independant form each other?

They absolutely should be isolated but depending on development time i can see how they would simplify things with dependencies like that. Rushed cycles will lead to that.

Unfortunately (for me) I code for certified avionics systems which means systems that dont share a real dependency for a specific reason have to be completely isolated and proven to be so, regardless of time. You dont see that with video games though, different industries can "get away" with lower quality design in certain areas when others cant

Back