Dark Souls 2 PC - April 25, 2014

even though the lighting effects were downgraded from the early footage there are still some places that require you to use a torch where the developers intended for you to make a choice between a shield versus torch...I just entered the Gutters and it's definitely dark...not as dark as Tomb of the Giants but good enough

even though the lighting effects were downgraded from the early footage there are still some places that require you to use a torch where the developers intended for you to make a choice between a shield versus torch...I just entered the Gutters and it's definitely dark...not as dark as Tomb of the Giants but good enough

Invading / getting invaded there sucks.

use the torch to light the pillars in that area...invasions shouldn't be too much of an issue once you can see

I actually purposely don't light the pillars so that it makes it harder for invaders to find me. When I ran through there yesterday, an invader committed suicide after not being able to find me for 3 minutes. :)

I actually purposely don't light the pillars so that it makes it harder for invaders to find me. When I ran through there yesterday, an invader committed suicide after not being able to find me for 3 minutes. :)

I guess that invader didn't know about the Black Separation Crystal :eek:

I guess that invader didn't know about the Black Separation Crystal :eek:

There is some speculation as to the repercussions of using the crystal too many times. I personally suicide over using the crystal if possible. The item description alludes to the possibility of consequences.

There is some speculation as to the repercussions of using the crystal too many times. I personally suicide over using the crystal if possible. The item description alludes to the possibility of consequences.

the consequences must be a new thing for DS2...in DS1 I would use it with no ill effects (if the person I invaded was hiding and I didn't feel like searching for him)

the consequences must be a new thing for DS2...in DS1 I would use it with no ill effects

Yeah... it's just speculation based on the item description. I wouldn't want to overuse it and end up not being able to summon people for help when I need it down the line.

What sword is best for a Knight ? Still rocking Heide Sword

Did you try the Drangleic sword? I am loving it, though it scales higher with Dex. It requires 25str/20 dex to use and has C scaling for STR and B scaling for Dex. It uses twinkling tinante to upgrade though.

I've heard bastard swords are great to use as well, with great sweeping attacks.

The Drangleic sword I like to use because it has a great thrust attack with a good long range.

I came across Richard's Rapier last night, and I have seen many people mention this for Dex builds/pvp, but holy crap is this thing easy to break, used it for a couple of enemies and had to put it away because the durability is so damn low.

So back to the Drangleic sword for my main.

Can enemies still hit through walls in DS2?

Yes, this is one of the main pet peeves I have with this game.

For everyone that says that the series is hard "but fair" this is the aspect that doesn't seem fair to me.

Mainly because when you hit a wall, your attacks bounce off it and won't go through/hit, yet the enemies can go right through and hit you.

IMO enemies should not be able to hit through walls and also there should be friendly fire, so if an enemy does an attack and he hits another enemy, that enemy takes damage (and might get pissed and attack the other npc).

That to me would be a "fair" game in that regard.

ever since that last patch I'm not able to get summoned as easily using the White Sign Soapstone...before it used to take a few seconds to a few minutes max...now I can go 15 minutes with nothing

Summoning working fine for me since the patch, usually in seconds I'm summoned depending on the area and time of day.

+1 for the Drangleic sword, the thrust/spin combo is pretty useful. The downside is definitely the twinkling titanite needed for upgrading, I only have the one and I'm scared to use it quite yet.

Anyone beat this game in the Company of Champions? Debating whether to do it in a fresh game or ng+

Anyone beat this game in the Company of Champions? Debating whether to do it in a fresh game or ng+

If you want to join this covenant to hit simply to have rank 3, there are various ways of farming the awestones.

I tried CoC in NG++ and gave up after the lost Sinner fight. She having extra health, extra damage, not to mention 2 npc adds made it seem entirely unfair that I could not summon anyone to help me.

But hey, if you are a masochist that enjoys dying repeatedly, this covenant is certainly for you.

I would think CoC is easiest on NG.

For everyone that says that the series is hard "but fair" this is the aspect that doesn't seem fair to me.

Mainly because when you hit a wall, your attacks bounce off it and won't go through/hit, yet the enemies can go right through and hit you.

IMO enemies should not be able to hit through walls and also there should be friendly fire, so if an enemy does an attack and he hits another enemy, that enemy takes damage (and might get pissed and attack the other npc).

Yeah I think this is more or less my only "goddamit" complaint about this game. Everytime I get crushed because my fucking sword bounced off a doorway and the enemy stabbed me right through the molding like hes fucking tim the tool man I immediately shut off the game and go do something else.

I tried CoC in NG++ and gave up after the lost Sinner fight. She having extra health, extra damage, not to mention 2 npc adds made it seem entirely unfair that I could not summon anyone to help me.

Ah that does sound pretty rough. I always play a 'basic' melee guy in the Souls games (no spells, no unique/boss weapons or armors, and no ranged weapons) so that Lost Sinner fight doesn't sound fun. Guess I'll try out CoC in ng+ even though a bug basically wiped out all my titanite.

Yeah I think this is more or less my only "goddamit" complaint about this game. Everytime I get crushed because my fucking sword bounced off a doorway and the enemy stabbed me right through the molding like hes fucking tim the tool man I immediately shut off the game and go do something else.

That's too bad. I was getting frustrated with this last night with the Titanite Demon in Anor Londo. Pretty bullshit that he can hit through an entire wall.

Ah well, the game had to have SOME fault right?

That's too bad. I was getting frustrated with this last night with the Titanite Demon in Anor Londo. Pretty bullshit that he can hit through an entire wall.

Ah well, the game had to have SOME fault right?

This is a complaint thats true in all games and will be resolved in 2054 when we live in the matrix it just happens to be especially punishing in Dark souls where one missed hit can mean you're dead.

Did you try the Drangleic sword? I am loving it, though it scales higher with Dex. It requires 25str/20 dex to use and has C scaling for STR and B scaling for Dex. It uses twinkling tinante to upgrade though.

Funny I was just going to respond to that poster's question to say the same thing about the Drangleic Sword -- I'm SL108 and its still my main - I have it upgraded. I love the moveset. Thrust, spin, thrust. Its the same moveset of the first Black Knight in DS1 Undead Burg that kicked my ass relentlessly, which is what it always makes me think of when I'm doing then (yes, its bad ass). I was an Ultra Greatsword guy through DS1 (+15 Zweihander), but UGS's just feel like you're particularly slow (and therefore exposed) in DS2 just to land that big hit.

Even after I got the Black Knight Halberd that everyone raves about (granted, I haven't upgraded it yet), the Drangleic Sword is still outgunning it. I'm sure there are better swords, but I haven't found one yet, though all I probably need to do is unload a few of these boss souls I'm hording, and get myself one from Straid or whatever.

Last edited:
I saved all my boss souls in DS1 to get the all rare weapons achievement.

Soooooooo glad that DS2 doesn't have this.

I've heard bastard swords are great to use as well, with great sweeping attacks.

The Drangleic sword I like to use because it has a great thrust attack with a good long range.

I came across Richard's Rapier last night, and I have seen many people mention this for Dex builds/pvp, but holy crap is this thing easy to break, used it for a couple of enemies and had to put it away because the durability is so damn low.

So back to the Drangleic sword for my main.

The claymore is an excellent weapon as well (with higher damage then the bastard sword) although it's purchased in the shaded woods so not available super early in the game. If your lucky you can get a Varangian sword (can be farmed in dead-mans warf) although I personally have 2 of them on my character due to them having low durability but the strongest attack of all the straight swords. I also got lucky enough to get the demons hammer when trading with silky and that thing does a ton of damage although I only have enough strength to two-hand it.

One thing is for sure, do not use your special colored souls until ng+ due to the fact that beating the last boss is almost impossible if you consume all the souls. I restarted my game due to the fact that it would have been almost impossible for me to beat the last boss unless I used bonfire ascetics but then it would have made ng+ almost impossible to beat. However I'm breezing through the game much faster the second time and barley dying compared to the first time.

One thing is for sure, do not use your special colored souls until ng+ due to the fact that beating the last boss is almost impossible if you consume all the souls. I restarted my game due to the fact that it would have been almost impossible for me to beat the last boss unless I used bonfire ascetics but then it would have made ng+ almost impossible to beat. However I'm breezing through the game much faster the second time and barley dying compared to the first time.

I didn't realize consuming all your boss souls affected the difficulty of the final boss. Are you talking about Vendrix and the Giant souls?

Can enemies still hit through walls in DS2?

No Man's Wharf.
The black things with the long arms that make you bleed.
Stand OUTSIDE the building they hide in, and their ENTIRE arm goes through the wall to the outside. The clipping is awful with these enemies. The arm goes so far out of the wall that it reminds you of those bodies smashed into walls in the forest of giants...

The claymore is an excellent weapon as well (with higher damage then the bastard sword) although it's purchased in the shaded woods so not available super early in the game. If your lucky you can get a Varangian sword (can be farmed in dead-mans warf) although I personally have 2 of them on my character due to them having low durability but the strongest attack of all the straight swords. I also got lucky enough to get the demons hammer when trading with silky and that thing does a ton of damage although I only have enough strength to two-hand it.

Do you mean consuming the boss souls? I never consume them, save them for the special boss weapons/items.

Does consuming them do something to the end boss?

It hit me again last night how genius the co-op is implemented in this game, to the extent I now regularly find myself sidetracked for stretches of time to help people with difficult bosses. Last night I was grinding Executioner's Chariot boss summons for over an hour since I had that fight down to a science and could pull most of the weight for the group of 2-3. And it made me think back to reading the early reviews, and how I needlessly worried about things like the "losing HP when you die" thing, like when this guy at IGN guy said:

From Software went a little too far with a penalty that decreases your max HP every time you die. This can be counteracted by using a Human Effigy, but those items are few and far between in the early half of the campaign. While undoubtedly a hardcore feature, I found it frustrating because it slightly stifled my urge to explore the world with a fear of being too harshly penalized for failure. True, this system is similar to how it was in Demon's Souls, but I'm a much bigger fan of how the original Dark implemented it.

Just goes to show that so-called reviewers can be total idiots in reviews. You spend 2-3 minutes assisting someone else and you've got your humanity back (back to human form), your HP back, all your weapons restored and Estus refilled just like resting at a Bonfire, as well as HP rewards, and if you use the small soapstone, a shiny stone to trade for a rare item. The "losing HP after you die" system they've put in place is to encourage co-op. And its great. It works. I love it. And the gestures everyone does after you help someone defeat a boss they've been struggling with are great moments.

Last edited:
I didn't realize consuming all your boss souls affected the difficulty of the final boss. Are you talking about Vendrix and the Giant souls?

Yea I suppose it's only the giant souls you need but either way be sure not to use them or it makes the last boss too difficult.

Just goes to show reviewers can be total idiots because I couldn't disagree more -- you spend 2-3 minutes assisting someone else and you've got your humanity back, your HP back, all your weapons restored and Estus refilled just like resting at a Bonfire, as well as HP rewards and a shiny stone to trade for a rare item. The "losing HP after you die" system they've put in place is to encourage co-op. And its great. It works. I love it. And the gestures everyone does after you help someone defeat a boss they've been struggling with are great moments.

Eh, the hp loss on death has never been a big deal even in Demon's Souls. With the Ring of Binding you still retain 80% of your hp max which is more than enough to beat anything. I don't think I've ever died and thought to myself "If I had 20% more hp, I would've won". Usually if I die it's because I made a huge tactical error or read and I'm dead meat anyways.

Yea I suppose it's only the giant souls you need but either way be sure not to use them or it makes the last boss too difficult.

I've never read that before. I thought it only applied to Vendrix. Then again, I've never tried the final boss with less than 5 Giant souls...

Eh, the hp loss on death has never been a big deal even in Demon's Souls. With the Ring of Binding you still retain 80% of your hp max which is more than enough to beat anything. I don't think I've ever died and thought to myself "If I had 20% more hp, I would've won". Usually if I die it's because I made a huge tactical error or read and I'm dead meat anyways.

That ring, and the Small White Soapstone make the hp loss nothing to worry about.
Pop down a sign and get summoned for a short time, just to come back to your world, Human, Full life, and some extra souls....My God, it benefits you to do this. They just added to the game. The hp loss is hardly a negative here, its a benefit...

Those reviewers are playing it wrong.

I'm a little confused regarding the boss souls. What affect does either consuming or using the them for weapons/armour have?

I'm a little confused regarding the boss souls. What affect does either consuming or using the them for weapons/armour have?

Well the normal boss souls give you a small amount of souls but the giant souls aka old ones look bright orange and bigger in the menu and for each one up to 5 they will double your attack against the end boss. So basically it's recommended to hold on to at least 5 giant souls for the end boss.

the lack of available inventory at vendors is annoying...once they run out you're pretty much screwed out of that item...the game is easier in some ways but it's also harder in others

Ok, this skeleton chariot boss is super annoying as hell.

By far the most frustrating boss I've gotten to.

Tried so many times, once I got both necro's down and pulled the lever, then the damn horse does an AOE magic that takes 80% of my health off and a kick that does 70% health from me (I have 11 in the health skill, is that not enough atm?).

Finally got tired of trying so many times I used a human effigy thinking it'd make it easier, got inside, hide in the very first alcove and then got about FIVE SKELETONS up my arse NONE of which died to the passing chariot and I died in about 3 seconds even though I was pushing the block button.

After thought I got so mad I turned off the game, think I will cool off a bit before even trying that area and just go to another part of the world.

Ok, this skeleton chariot boss is super annoying as hell

he was by far the most difficult boss up to this point for me...took many tries...even with 2 phantoms helping me it was still brutal (most of the time they would die before getting to the horse part)...tight space, undead skeletons, necromancers and finally a horse which is a lot tougher then he looks...nowhere is safe from his moveset- back kick, front charge, magic breath...was a relief when I finally defeated him...I equate him with Capra Demon from the first Dark Souls game

It hit me again last night how genius the co-op is implemented in this game, to the extent I now regularly find myself sidetracked for stretches of time to help people with difficult bosses. Last night I was grinding Executioner's Chariot boss summons for over an hour since I had that fight down to a science and could pull most of the weight for the group of 2-3. And it made me think back to reading the early reviews, and how I needlessly worried about things like the "losing HP when you die" thing, like when this guy at IGN guy said:

Just goes to show that so-called reviewers can be total idiots in reviews. You spend 2-3 minutes assisting someone else and you've got your humanity back (back to human form), your HP back, all your weapons restored and Estus refilled just like resting at a Bonfire, as well as HP rewards, and if you use the small soapstone, a shiny stone to trade for a rare item. The "losing HP after you die" system they've put in place is to encourage co-op. And its great. It works. I love it. And the gestures everyone does after you help someone defeat a boss they've been struggling with are great moments.

Ok but think from the perspective, what about if no coop (as not all of us are into online play).

Seems now days multiplayer is an addiction every game seems to have it shoe horned in.

Back