Dark Rock Pro 3 users: is the top cover secured with rivets or hex screws?

null

Limp Gawd
I'm considering this cooler for my next project. I may want to paint the top cover a difference color, and that'd be easiest if I could remove it entirely from the cooler. That raised a couple questions:
  1. I noticed the cover is secured at its corners. Can someone confirm those are hex screws and not rivets?
  2. Are the black heat pipe caps part of the top cover, or separate parts? I'm hoping that removing the top cover either leaves the heat pipe caps in place, or that they can otherwise be separated from the top cover so I wouldn't have to worry about taping them off.
Any feedback appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
I'm considering this cooler for my next project. I may want to paint the top cover a difference color, and that'd be easiest if I could remove it entirely from the cooler. That raised a couple questions:
  1. I noticed the cover is secured at its corners. Can someone confirm those are hex screws and not rivets?
  2. Are the black heat pipe caps part of the top cover, or separate parts? I'm hoping that removing the top cover either leaves the heat pipe caps in place, or that they can otherwise be separated from the top cover so I wouldn't have to worry about taping them off.
Any feedback appreciated, thanks.
The 4 corners have hex-heads so I assume they are screws, but I have not actually tried removing the top.

Edit: I just got done digging out my small allen wrenches and the corners are held on by hex-head screws.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to take the top off?

Last edited:
Thanks doyll.

I'd want to remove the top cover to paint it a different color. I'd likely keep the rest of the heatsink and the heat pipe caps as they are, so being able to remove it to paint it separately would make that easier.

Thanks doyll.

I'd want to remove the top cover to paint it a different color. I'd likely keep the rest of the heatsink and the heat pipe caps as they are, so being able to remove it to paint it separately would make that easier.

I do not know if the heatpipe caps on top of top plate can be removed. I didn't actually take the top off, just loosened one screw enough to lift top up a little. I didn't what to take any more risk of damaging the stock finish. ;)

Back