Dark Messiah of Might & Magic REAL Open Beta

The18thLetter

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes, this time without the Gamespot "Total Access" crap.

I got an email yesterday (but in my junk folder, just saw it not 5 minutes ago) from Gamespot announcing the OPEN Beta will start tomorrow, Sept. 5th @ 9am PT.

So... yeah. Be sure to hit up Gamespot tomorrow and sign up. I wish I could (work tomorrow :()...

Er it wasn't very hard to get a spot. I just clicked that link, got my key, and activated. i then proceded to download. Apparently this is multiplayer only, dunno.

weird. everytime i go to the page, with ANY browser (even when I don't use the link posted above) it gives me the same damn key, which is already in use according to steam. I see no way to even apply for a new key, even going to gamespot's home page or anything. oh well.

Its one key per gamespot account. Create a new account and you'll get a different key.

I just played it for a bit, didn't get the true experience since I was playing on a server with one other guy but I was getting a feel for it. The Assassin seems like a lot of fun, unfortunately the bugginess of the Beta was bringing me down, but it is a Beta so I guess all is forgiven.

It kind of sucks though, it takes about 6 minutes to load the map for some reason. It goes along real fast at first, then it hangs at one spot and barely moves from there on out. Then it takes 2 minutes to get to my desktop after exiting the game. The singleplayer demo didn't suffer from either of these problems.

Also, it didn't seem like the skills I was selecting with my experience points were sticking. It looked like I gained one ability but I don't know if that was from levelling up or from selecting things in the skill upgrade menu because there was no real feedback as to whether or not the skills I selected were actually being put into effect.

i think either the net code is jacked or they need to only allow people from one region to participate in the beta. aside from that the game is really unbalanced... and this is open beta, not alpha or closed beta. the warrior and mage classes are either overpowered or the others need to be beefed up (minus priestess). could be good if they address this stuff. woulda been nice for them to include maybe another map as well.

Yeah, after getting an actual game in I do not see myself playing this. It's pretty terrible.

Unbalanced and uninspired gameplay. The combat is boring and the class I want to play as, the Assassin, is useless. The horrendous load times in the beta don't help much either.

Is it just me or does the game load very slowly? For me it loads to 3/4s of the bar and then lags for a good 3 - 5 minutes before I get in the actual game. I've tweaked with the settings to no avail. I have a 10Mbit down DSL line so it's not my internet connection.

Just wanted some thoughts on this, 'cause I like the game, but if it lags this much, I don't think I'll buy it.

Edit: Just read ManCannon's response above.

well release is late october i think from what ive read so they have plenty of time to balance the classes, address load times and add more shit

I'm liking the multiplayer. Being an Assassin requires being a clever bastard, more or less.. and yeah, it's completely hopeless against a warrior head on. I suck as an archer or whatever, and I'm okay with warrior, but it's just pretty mindless tactically compared to the others. I haven't tried mage, but they seem kinda nuts at higher level. More gametypes and maps would add a lot to this, yeah... it reminds me a tiny bit of a medieval RtCW ET + Battlefield overall.

The load times seem directly related to graphics settings.. after dropping mine to medium, it went down to 30 seconds or so (speaking rectally - I didn't time it, it's just firmly in the 'reasonable' subjective zone).

Guessing from how polished the SP demo was in comparison to this as far as load times and graphics go, I'm not TOO worried yet...

xsoulbrothax said:
I'm liking the multiplayer. Being an Assassin requires being a clever bastard, more or less.. and yeah, it's completely hopeless against a warrior head on. I suck as an archer or whatever, and I'm okay with warrior, but it's just pretty mindless tactically compared to the others. I haven't tried mage, but they seem kinda nuts at higher level. More gametypes and maps would add a lot to this, yeah... it reminds me a tiny bit of a medieval RtCW ET + Battlefield overall.

The load times seem directly related to graphics settings.. after dropping mine to medium, it went down to 30 seconds or so (speaking rectally - I didn't time it, it's just firmly in the 'reasonable' subjective zone).

Guessing from how polished the SP demo was in comparison to this as far as load times and graphics go, I'm not TOO worried yet...

The thing is, the load times are bad even for high end machines. Dumbing down graphics to save load times is dumb if you can handle them.

wow been tryin for a while and i cant get the damn key XD i click on the "get the key" buttot or w/e and it just refreshes the page, might they be out of beta keys or soemthihgn?

miskari said:
wow been tryin for a while and i cant get the damn key XD i click on the "get the key" buttot or w/e and it just refreshes the page, might they be out of beta keys or soemthihgn?

Weird. All I did was sign in the gamespot site and then clicked the link in this thread. It generates a unique key. Have you tried that?

Overall I spent about 30 minutes playing the game and about 1.5 hours loading the game.

EDIT: I timed the time it took to load a game once...was well over 20 minutes on a 10 Mbit DSL line. That was after I dumbed down graphics.

I dumbed them down even further. I finally said f it and alt f4ed. I render this game unplayable on my machine. 3200 + 2 gigs ddr. 7800 gtx. 80 gig raptor.

single player seems nice, multiplayer is un-inspired, unbalanced, and borring... and I'm rightfully neglecting to mention the bugs cuz its beta... but it seems my archer doesnt get abilities like normal classes... his arrows just 'decide' on their own which random arrow will be flaming, or spontaniously light on fire for no reason

Harkamus said:
The thing is, the load times are bad even for high end machines. Dumbing down graphics to save load times is dumb if you can handle them.
yeah, i know. what i meant was that it seems like high settings = long load times regardless of the machine being used... which is a problem the SP demo didn't have, hence why i'm not too worried about it yet. unless a completely different company is doing the MP, which i think is happening. :p

And Kuju (the company responsible for the MP) isn't exactly known for awesome games (Warhammer 40K: Fire Warrior, anyone?), except for Battalion Wars and BWii (which I'm assuming will be as good as the original).

I thought the single player demo was just OK (nice graphics, underwhelming gameplay), but the multiplayer is really quite bad IMO. I know it's a beta, but... well.. it's just extremely boring, slow, and clunky.

Back