Dark Matter Blob Confounds Experts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Science as we know it today is still relatively young (less than 400 years). It will take a while to shake superstition, logical fallacy, and pseudoscience. The Bible is still a best seller. Ancient Aliens still gets great ratings. Credulity is a big business, because research and skepticism don't provide the same instant gratification.

Truth and knowledge will hopefully win in the end...but with the two most violent religions on earth (Islam and Christianity) considering the pursuit of evidence to be blasphemy, there's always that chance they could snuff out the pursuit of knowledge like they have in the past.

But religion has conceded evidence before (like when the Pope pardoned Galileo a few years back, thus finally admitting that the universe does not revolve around the earth); if we're lucky, it will happen again more often!

Saying that Christianity is one of the two most violent religions on earth is not only an outright lie, it is one of the most ignorant comments I have ever heard.

When is the last time you heard of a Christian suicide bomber? You haven't, because they don't exist.

When is the last time you heard of a Christian kidnapping a muslem, torturing them, and cutting off their head? You haven't, because it doesn't happen.

When is the last time you heard of a Christian parking a car bomb in a crowded civilian area and exploding it , killing innocent men, women , and children? Guess what, you haven't.

If anybody who does such things calls themselves a Christian, they are lying. Read the teachings of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount, Matthew chapters 5,6,and 7, and tell me a Christian does those things.

Take your head out of the sand and look around at the world situation as it really is. Check out the number of countries,(Africa being the worst) where they kill each other by the thousands because of religious differences, and then tell me that Christianity is one of the two most violent religions on earth.

Christianity does not consider the pursuit of knowledge as blasphemy, rather, Christianity tells us to know what the truth is, and then we will be set free. John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." Seek peace and pursue it is another scripture maybe you should explore. 1st Peter 3:11 "He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it.

Educate yourself before you open your mouth and prove just how ignorant your comments may be.

If anybody who does such things calls themselves a Christian, they are lying.

Anybody can say if person X does this then they are not a part of our group. Muslims in fact do say that suicide bombers are not in fact part of the religion.

While in recent years Christianity has been quite calm is has an extremely violent past.

The main reason Muslims are violent has nothing to do with the fact that they are Muslim but rather the fact that they live in poor conditions where suicide attacks are the only method of attack left against their oppressors.

He is technically correct more people have died in the name of Christianity than most other religions crusades and witch burning while in the past still did in fact happen. Also some crazy correlate George Bushes attack on Iraq as a holy war in the name of Christianity ....I however do not subscribe to this, but have herd the argument for it.

Saying that Christianity is one of the two most violent religions on earth is not only an outright lie, it is one of the most ignorant comments I have ever heard.
+1 to that. :cool:

If anybody who does such things calls themselves a Christian, they are lying. Read the teachings of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount, Matthew chapters 5,6,and 7, and tell me a Christian does those things.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Anybody can say if person X does this then they are not a part of our group. Muslims in fact do say that suicide bombers are not in fact part of the religion.

While in recent years Christianity has been quite calm is has an extremely violent past.
Exactly this. Christianity may not be violent in the last 100 years or so ([URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/10_october/06/bush.shtml"]unless you count George Bush's declaration that the war was a mission from God)[/URL], but it was most certainly built on a foundation of extreme violence that continued into the early 20th century. Christianity, like Islam, wouldn't be where it is today without its history of conquest.

I do applaud and appreciate the efforts of a majority today who condemn the violent acts of the minority, but the fact remains that they didn't get where they are today without the resources they plundered from their dead enemies. Vae victis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Exactly this. Christianity may not be violent in the last 100 years or so (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_executed_for_witchcraftunless you count George Bush's declaration that the war was a mission from God), but it was most certainly built on a foundation of extreme violence that continued into the early 20th century. Christianity, like Islam, wouldn't be where it is today without its history of conquest.

I do applaud and appreciate the efforts of a majority today who condemn the violent acts of the minority, but the fact remains that they didn't get where they are today without the resources they plundered from their dead enemies. Vae victis.

No "religion" started any wars. It was the people that used religion as a way to start a war but in reality wanted personal gain out of it. By saying its a war for god they are just trying to win the minds of people over so they can start the war yet it wasn't intentionally with god in mind at all. We are in iraq because of imperialism and the resources the elite want to control. If you control the resources your pretty much control the world. Most religions don't even talk about killing anyone and prohibit it from happening in the first place.

Democide is the highest mass deaths.

I give credit to the people here who stand by their beliefs by Faith alone. It's very rare these days.

There is one glaring fact that no one, and I mean no one can prove scientifically and that is how the universe was created. In essense, the pro-Big Bang Theory people are basing their belief on faith, no? There isn't any factual evidence to prove otherwise, just like there isn't any factual evidence for Creationism, it's belief is based on faith as well. I find it funny that the relationship between the two is so far apart, yet so close in the way people put faith on both ideas yet the pro-big bangers can't believe that the religous put faith in something, the same way they do their theories.

And BTW, if you take the Book of Revelation literal, then you really don't know the bible at all.

Wait, what? The big bang theory is a theory based on evidence.That is the whole entire reason the scientific community accepts it.

When is the last time you heard of a Christian suicide bomber? You haven't, because they don't exist.

When is the last time you heard of a Christian kidnapping a muslem, torturing them, and cutting off their head? You haven't, because it doesn't happen.

When is the last time you heard of a Christian parking a car bomb in a crowded civilian area and exploding it , killing innocent men, women , and children? Guess what, you haven't.

Take your head out of the sand and look around at the world situation as it really is. Check out the number of countries,(Africa being the worst) where they kill each other by the thousands because of religious differences, and then tell me that Christianity is one of the two most violent religions on earth.

Christianity does not consider the pursuit of knowledge as blasphemy, rather, Christianity tells us to know what the truth is, and then we will be set free. John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." Seek peace and pursue it is another scripture maybe you should explore. 1st Peter 3:11 "He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it.

Educate yourself before you open your mouth and prove just how ignorant your comments may be.

Ahh yes.. the "they aren't a true christian" if they do things like bomb abortion clinics. But if they do that in other religions, it is the religion that is the problem! Meanwhile many muslims are saying muslim terrorists "aren't true muslims".

Who is to even say what a "true christian" or "true muslim" is, almost no one can agree on it. Which is the reason there are so many denominations.

Pelo, do you lump all non Chrisitians into the same category in that they all believe in exactly the same things? So why do you think that all Christians agree on all matters pertaining to science?

Science only explains what you can see, Christianity explains all things pertaining to God that are supernatural and cannot be seen or quantified by man or science. Of course the Bible can't be wrong, if it is then there would be no Christianity. Do you expect believers to doubt what is their doctrinal foundation? You so readily dismiss Christianity as some kook religion that can't possibly be true, but you cannot offer any evidence to support your claim. There is ample evidence that Jesus Christ lived and walked on the earth, and that the things said of Him in the Bible are true. Stop being affraid of your beliefs being challenged, it just shows your insecurity in those beliefs.

Science can explain what you can't see all the time. In fact, now a days that seems to be the majority of the things science is working to explain.

Christianity can't explain anything. It is a non-explanation. It is a giant argument from ignorance. For instance, back in the day people would say, "what is lightning", and then irrational folks like you would say, "it's Zeus, you can't prove it's not Zeus, this is a logically consistent argument, so he must exist." Now, we know how lightning works, and it's...what started the Universe, "it's God, you can't prove it's not God"... or, "it's Allah, you can't prove it's not Allah". We now know that at some point the Universe was compressed into a much smaller area, and can use the same science/math we use to create EVERY SINGLE tech device you use in your life. You turn your phone on every day, and expect it to work.. but for this ONE thing, those calculations are all made up and can't be accurate! You get sick? You'll be in the hospital, using branches of science to try to diagnose and repair you.

No "religion" started any wars. It was the people that used religion as a way to start a war but in reality wanted personal gain out of it. By saying its a war for god they are just trying to win the minds of people over so they can start the war yet it wasn't intentionally with god in mind at all. We are in iraq because of imperialism and the resources the elite want to control. If you control the resources your pretty much control the world. Most religions don't even talk about killing anyone and prohibit it from happening in the first place.

Democide is the highest mass deaths.

So you are saying that people used religion to start wars, but religion didn't start wars. It is the faith based position of believing in God that made these people susceptible to believing that it's okay for them to kill for God. It is the reason that religions, which are false, can be so dangerous to begin with.

No one is saying "religion" killed anyone. Religion isn't a being. It is the effects of religion that have killed people.

Josh

Input is in

This might not count but Oklahoma city bombing.

Anders Behring Breivik

lol wut?? so, you're basically saying that you never took any kind of history classes also didn't read any books besides the bible in your entire life? really? omg man, home schooled much? man, this isn't your 10 people reunion to debate some primitive crap and... oh hell... since you're apparently able to use the internet, search for it, there's a clusterfuck of two thousand years of fucking random people up in the name of that corpse fucking thing for you to enjoy, i don't even know where to start but basically you will see that just because some of those monkeys choose to forget it all (everything documented, by the way) it doesn't mean that these fuckers are now good people lol, not even close ^^, besides, stop quoting that "curiosity" stuff like is some sort of "magic wisdom" that came out of the nowhere because no one here is going to be impressed, it doesn't mean anything, in those days those primitive screwheads didn't even understand the concept of simple things like "toilet paper" for example...

From Carl Sagan's "The Demon Haunted World":
Carl Sagan said:
Have I ever heard a skeptic wax superior and contemptuous?
Certainly. I've even sometimes heard, to my retrospective dismay,
that unpleasant tone in my own voice. There are human imperfections
on both sides of this issue. Even when it's applied sensitively,
scientific skepticism may come across as arrogant, dogmatic,
heartless and dismissive of the feelings and deeply held beliefs of
others. And, it must be said, some scientists and dedicated
skeptics apply this tool as a blunt instrument, with little finesse.
Sometimes it looks as if the skeptical conclusion came first, that
contentions were dismissed before, not after, the evidence was
examined. All of us cherish our beliefs. They are, to a degree,
self-defining. When someone comes along who challenges our
belief system as insufficiently well based - or who, like Socrates,
merely asks embarrassing questions that we haven't thought of, or
demonstrates that we've swept key underlying assumptions under
the rug - it becomes much more than a search for knowledge. It
feels like a personal assault.

@dadman
Ever heard of Magellan? He's usually the guy that shown as someone that's circumnavigated the globe and died in the Philippines.

Ever heard of what REALLY happened when the Spaniards came? They introduced Christianity, converted some of the natives. And then afterwards they pointed at our fellow Filipinos, and said "KILL THE HERETICS!!!". North and South Philippines have been killing each other since, and we spent the next 300 years under the thumb of the Catholic church. We have very little knowledge of events before Spain because all native relics, including our written language and recorded history, were marked as satanic and burned.

There are quite a few more instances of this in history, they just keep getting downplayed. These are the true foundations of Christianity.

@Conker
One of the things that i noticed early on that i questioned was the story of Jericho. Especially the fact that it was after the ten commandments. One of the ways it's been interpreted is that people that are not Christians are not considered 'fellow men' and are not subject to the laws of god. Killing heretics is perfectly acceptable.

Crap, all this talk reminded me of the new testament song we were taught in third grade. I won't be able to get the bible out of my head for the rest of the day now. Thank you *so* much :mad:

well if any... sorry for the amount of curse words, i guess there wasn't a necessity for that :D
It's cool man. There's always that temptation to be condescending for everyone on any subject. Not everyone is at the same level of learning and rational, skeptical thought (with a dash of wonder and credulity to nourish the love of knowledge).

It has taken humanity thousands of years to reach this point, and many people will never get there--dogma and indoctrination are deeply entrenched in people's minds. Some may never seek facts for themselves, but many will; the mark of Homo Sapiens is our vigorous pursuit of knowledge.

I myself was raised and very involved in a church and went to a Christian college. It wasn't until long after I was done with college that I started studying and learning without the guiding hand of the Church on me. I'd say it was a good 5-7 years to get me to appreciate the pursuit of evidence and truth that I do today.

The greatest influences on the way I thought were strangers on the internet--the ones who were calm and patient with me, and got me to grow up without laughing at my lack of understanding. There were people who were jerks to me, and though I see their point of view now, I will never forget the way they treated me. Those people hardened my mind against reason and logic, although they intended to do the opposite. Fortunately, I'm a forgiver and a forgetter. I don't hold anything against anyone for long.

This is an examples of one of those people who use the big bang to say that creationism is false. Apparently, and i just learned this in this thread, the big bang theory claims no such thing about what created the big bang, so they could quite easily go hand-in-hand.

Creationism is generally young-earth. "Creationists" who try to co-opt the big bang theory don't believe a literal bible, and are generally intellectually contemptible anyway. If the Bible isn't literal then original sin doesn't exist, Jesus isn't needed, and the entire issue of salvation is simultaneously irrelevant and impossible to believe literally.

I don't know my bible that well, so I'm curious to see where it says the universe is only thousands of years old

The bible says the world was created with adam and eve in the first week, then proceeds to name ALL their offspring and their ages for many generations. It eventually gets to people who we know lived at a certain time by other records. It works out to roughly six thousand years.

IMO, you have to try really hard to interpret the bible... between the vast cultural difference between now and then, and the fact that man has tweaked the living hell out of it, I can't understand why anyone can take it for a literal, word-for-word meaning.

Biblical interpretation is relatively straight forward. You learn Hebrew and ancient Greek and basic principles of historical interpretation and go for it.

The reason why a literal interpretation is important is that if the bible is not literally true, it's also unimportant. No Garden, no original sin, no salvation needed. A bible that's not literally true leaves you guessing whether Jesus was the son of god or just a guy or a mythical figure. Christianity without literal interpretation is no more worthy of worship than the Iliad or the Odyssey.

Indeed the God portrayed in the Old Testament was a vicious one. Thankfully for us he took an about-face... I still am uncertain why such an about-face was taken if God is omniscient, you would have thought he'd have started on the good foot... but maybe humanity wasn't ready for it.

More likely is that Jesus' disciples were relatively mellow people and wrote a nicer book. The idea that the eternal god changed his attitude is pretty retarded. Not to mention, he seems to have got bored the last two thousand years.

Saying that Christianity is one of the two most violent religions on earth is not only an outright lie, it is one of the most ignorant comments I have ever heard. It started with fire and murders and caused the crusades. More since then but too much to count. It's not innocent

When is the last time you heard of a Christian suicide bomber? You haven't, because they don't exist. Suicide bomber? No, suicide is a sin so most Christian bombers leave them in mailboxes or outside abortion clinics

When is the last time you heard of a Christian kidnapping a muslem, torturing them, and cutting off their head? You haven't, because it doesn't happen. The crusades, but if you take out cutting off their head.. the US tortures and kidnaps muslims

When is the last time you heard of a Christian parking a car bomb in a crowded civilian area and exploding it , killing innocent men, women , and children? Guess what, you haven't. Timothy McVeigh. Nuff said

If anybody who does such things calls themselves a Christian, they are lying. Read the teachings of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount, Matthew chapters 5,6,and 7, and tell me a Christian does those things. cop out

Take your head out of the sand and look around at the world situation as it really is. Check out the number of countries,(Africa being the worst) where they kill each other by the thousands because of religious differences, and then tell me that Christianity is one of the two most violent religions on earth. You realize that in some of those countries, Christianity is involved in the violence. Technically, Hitler was a bible loving Christian too.. if insane

Christianity does not consider the pursuit of knowledge as blasphemy, rather, Christianity tells us to know what the truth is, and then we will be set free. John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." Seek peace and pursue it is another scripture maybe you should explore. 1st Peter 3:11 "He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it. Don't even bring bible quotes into this. You know better. Do you give your daughter out to be raped like Lott? How about stoning women? Ever had God tell you to kill your son? I don't think so.

Answers in bold. Btw, dark matter is awesome and I have no idea how the hell this got on theology.

Just to elaborate the last part of what satsunada said. Genesis 22. Is the example on how much faith is expected out of a god fearing Catholic. If you believe in killing your son, because you heard a voice in your head. Please stay away from me.

@setsunada
Actually, the most common cop out, is tearing the bible in half, and pretending that the first half doesn't exist. How's that for pick and choosing?

Yay, we're talking about religion. I finally have an excuse to post this. :D :p :cool:

christianity.jpg

Let me clear something up. In my original post, all I'm trying to say is, as smart as these guys are, and yes they are very intelligent, they don't really know whats going on out there in the universe, but they try and make us believe that they do.

Magnets... How do THEY work?

People keep feeding the troll.

Good point. Sorry... kinda. I promise I tried to ignore it. Really I did.

To be honest, I think we should launch a real honest to god hubble type satellite and try to get it to where Voyager 1 is gonna be by 2015 and just set it up as a permanent observatory. No interference at all out that far.

The complexity and vastness of space and the universe is pretty amazing.

Heck, go watch Star Wars and put it on mute when they're fighting in space because that's how it'd be.

I can see stars billions of years old? Mind... blown.

Earth being formed by other exploding "planets" which is why we have these elements is astounding.

Is there really a "last planet" near the end of the universe? It's ever expanding so how is it expanding? Is there something beyond the edge?

If I had a time machine and could suspend disbelief for a minute, I'd go back prior to this all happening.

I'm more interested in what we'll know 100 years from now.

How many of you in this thread really believe you have the answer to where your eternal soul will end up upon your death? Science won't save you, and doesn't have the answer. Mock me all you want, doesn't change the fact that we will all stand before Christ on Judgement Day. I am done with this thread as it's just going in circles, and I have said my piece. Peace to all, and may God richly bless each and every one of you.

How many of you in this thread really believe you have the answer to where your eternal soul will end up upon your death? Science won't save you, and doesn't have the answer. Mock me all you want, doesn't change the fact that we will all stand before Christ on Judgement Day. I am done with this thread as it's just going in circles, and I have said my piece. Peace to all, and may God richly bless each and every one of you.

So, Pascal's Wager basically?

A lot of people seem to under estimate it, but 'Fact' is a very strong word. I don't use that lightly myself.

Just because you believe it, doesn't make it true. I was raised in evangelical christianity all my life. There is a reason I walked away, hopefully one day you will be enlightened. If you understood your bible as well as you claim you do, you wouldn't be on here spouting this nonsense.

Science and spiritual beliefs do not need to be at odds with one another. The sooner more people realize this and shed the oppressive trappings of religion the better we will all be.

Yea, a bit.

http://news.discovery.com/space/dark-matter-found-colliding-galaxies.html

Basically, this recent discovery goes against the one above, which seemed to show the dark matter passing through the collision without interacting with the other dark matter in the colliding galaxy and dragging along the hot gases which lagged behind. This recent info of the Abell 520 cluster shows the dark matter and gases piling up in the middle post-collision, implying an attractive force which wasn't observed before.

Just because you believe it, doesn't make it true. I was raised in evangelical christianity all my life. There is a reason I walked away, hopefully one day you will be enlightened. If you understood your bible as well as you claim you do, you wouldn't be on here spouting this nonsense.

Science and spiritual beliefs do not need to be at odds with one another. The sooner more people realize this and shed the oppressive trappings of religion the better we will all be.

You are absolutely correct. The fact that I believe it does not make it true. However, the fact that it is true is why I believe it.

Funny aint it? The thing about living within an evangelical society, is that you have people around you quoting the bible continiously. I have a couple of friends regularly sending me bible phrases, and it isn't unusual to see a verse from the bible posted on a street corner, even a casual conversation is a chance to drop some nuggets of gods wisdom. And if you're the kind of guy that cross references everything, you end up reading the bible a lot.

Do you talk about the bible outside your church? Do you praise god while talking to your neighbor about the weather? On your daily bus commute, how many people have their rosaries out and praying while in traffic?... and yes, up until i started college, i was one of those guys... with the rosary... praying on the bus.

Hey it's a habit. For as long as i can remember, we kneel at our home altar everyday at 6pm for the daily rosary. I only stopped joining in during college because i was always getting home late from the long commute, but as mentioned above, i was still reciting my hail mary's on the bus. It wasn't as embarasing as you think, since i'm not the only one doing it.

You are absolutely correct. The fact that I believe it does not make it true. However, the fact that it is true is why I believe it.

But there are no facts that make it true. So you're better off just saying, "I have faith that it is true." I could at least say, "Well, I can't argue with you there." if you said that.

Creationism is generally young-earth. "Creationists" who try to co-opt the big bang theory don't believe a literal bible, and are generally intellectually contemptible anyway. If the Bible isn't literal then original sin doesn't exist, Jesus isn't needed, and the entire issue of salvation is simultaneously irrelevant and impossible to believe literally.

I've stated why i don't believe in a literal bible. What once was perfect has been marred by man. And i don't need the bible to tell me that i'm a sinner, i KNOW i'm a sinner because of the fuckin voices in my head rofl

The bible says the world was created with adam and eve in the first week, then proceeds to name ALL their offspring and their ages for many generations. It eventually gets to people who we know lived at a certain time by other records. It works out to roughly six thousand years.

Biblical interpretation is relatively straight forward. You learn Hebrew and ancient Greek and basic principles of historical interpretation and go for it.

The reason why a literal interpretation is important is that if the bible is not literally true, it's also unimportant. No Garden, no original sin, no salvation needed. A bible that's not literally true leaves you guessing whether Jesus was the son of god or just a guy or a mythical figure. Christianity without literal interpretation is no more worthy of worship than the Iliad or the Odyssey.

I disagree. Where did morality come from?

More likely is that Jesus' disciples were relatively mellow people and wrote a nicer book. The idea that the eternal god changed his attitude is pretty retarded. Not to mention, he seems to have got bored the last two thousand years.

To you maybe, perhaps even to me. It'd be rather foolish to expect to understand the workings of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back