“Dark Day” In Russia After President Introduces New Surveillance Laws

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Russian President has signed new legislation that forces telephone carriers and internet providers to store the private communications of their customers and turn them over to the government on request. Communication providers may have to spend more than $30 billion to implement the new laws.

The communication companies will have to keep a record of their users’ calls, text messages, photos, and internet activity for six months, and store ‘metadata’ for three years, according to the International Business Times. And messaging services that use digital encryption, such as WhatsApp, Viber and Telegram, could face fines of thousands of pounds if they continue to operate in Russia without handing over their encryption key to the government. “Even the Soviet Union did not have such an overwhelmingly repressive legislation,” Russian politician and businessman Gennady Gudkov told the Los Angeles Times.

He's a right-wing strong man dictator with right-wing strong man support. Many Russians will be cheering and the rest will be expected to cheer. Putin's supporters are also more than willing to fill in the oppression gaps that he misses. Violently.

We've been doing this since the invention of the Telephone. Nothing new, move along.

Not suprised. Mr. Putin will lead the charge onto foreign soil and die in combat. Some things are truly set in stone.

He's a right-wing strong man dictator with right-wing strong man support. Many Russians will be cheering and the rest will be expected to cheer. Putin's supporters are also more than willing to fill in the oppression gaps that he misses. Violently

As opposed to the American support for the NSA that let them use surveillance laws to do as they please for so long right?

This is news how exactly.
AT&T has been doing it in the States for years.
In a 2006 lawsuit, Mark Klein, a retired AT&T technician, claimed that as early as 2003, he had discovered a secret room at an AT&T building in California where the company was providing the NSA with access to data it was transferring for other companies. How AT&T Helped the NSA Spy on Millions
I seriously doubt the ruskies are just now catching up.

You guys that drink the cool aid thinking USA is pure freedom is hilarious. You either live under a rock or listen to CNN too much. These systems have been in place in the good ol US of A for a long time now. The double standard with Russia is hilarious.

Nothing new except they're coming out and saying they are doing it. Every country does it. How else can they keep the peace? Lots of things happens that will never see the light of day. Like Area 51, McDonalds secret sauce, Jimmy Hoffa, Elvis, all of my left socks. Wait, I can use half of the left socks for my right foot! Genius!!

When it comes to lawless spying on their own people I think top 3 would be North Korea, Russia and USA easily.

Ok. So who here is a US citizen and has had their live detrimentally impacted as a result of government spying? I'm not saying it's not a problem, I'm asking who has problems because of it. Honestly, given recent events, I'd be more worried about getting pulled over. At some point, for a problem to be addressed, it has to have real impact, to lots of ordinary people in their day to day lives. Government spying for me and those I know simply does not register at this time. Sorta like climate change I guess.

Ok. So who here is a US citizen and has had their live detrimentally impacted as a result of government spying? I'm not saying it's not a problem, I'm asking who has problems because of it. Honestly, given recent events, I'd be more worried about getting pulled over. At some point, for a problem to be addressed, it has to have real impact, to lots of ordinary people in their day to day lives. Government spying for me and those I know simply does not register at this time. Sorta like climate change I guess.

I bet Edward Snowden has had his life detrimentally affected as a result of illegal government spying.

Wow just noticed you have over 38K posts, maybe you should team up with the guy that has the highest Steam level.

I wish they had cameras in every room of every house in the world. Then we could make half the population watch the other half for 6 months then swap out. Might learn some new sexual positions!! We can all be STARS!!!!

I bet Edward Snowden has had his life detrimentally affected as a result of illegal government spying.

First of all, I don't know Edward Snowden and I guess you don't either. Secondly, he was a willing member of the spy apparatus and decided to do what he did. He wasn't victimized by random action that he no control over.
Wow just noticed you have over 38K posts, maybe you should team up with the guy that has the highest Steam level.

LOL! Didn't that cost the guy like $13k?

I assume the dark days paragraph was satire about he US.

You know, given the fact we're way ahead of the Russians on this particular thing.

Russia - "We have new laws to spy on our citizens".
USA - "Been there done that. Got the Mug & the T Shrit".

The real question is how many large countries are left. Basically all of Europe, China, USA, and Russia (C.C.C.P) are on the GriD of spydom.

Someone fire up a graph for us!!!

As opposed to the American support for the NSA that let them use surveillance laws to do as they please for so long right?

When was the last time Americans were mobbed in public and murdered for criticising the NSA? How many pro-Bush/Cheney or pro-Obama militias have there been?

For a governments like the Russian, American, or Chinese governments to be sleazy is almost expected. You aren't truly in the big leagues as a strong man until you have militias attacking and killing your critics.

The greatest tool of oppression is populism. Always has been, always will be.

This is actually good news, since Russia has a strong supply of software developers plenty of whom will be pissed at this to help create some new system/protocol for mobile communication to circumvent all of this. Creating such draconian rules is always counter productive. Eventually there will be a call/sms app that operates like bittorrent or something, completely decentralized, encrypted and p2p.

You guys that drink the cool aid thinking USA is pure freedom is hilarious. You either live under a rock or listen to CNN too much. These systems have been in place in the good ol US of A for a long time now. The double standard with Russia is hilarious.

What reply before this even had a hint of anybody here in the USA thinking that it is a good idea?

Pure freedom. BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

We are ruled by a few lawless idiots and the other people that are elected are either too afraid to stand up to these idiots OR they are just there for show and actually agree with the freaks that pull the strings.

If it doesn't change drastically very soon, I am pretty sure that there is going to be stuff that happens that will get these idiots out of their places of power one way or another.

Back