Dapper Drake is out!!!

Talonz said:
Not the kubuntu version.... yet :(

Yes it is.

Maybe if I get brave/board today I'll try to upgrade my laptop to 6.06. Hopefully I won't have as much trouble as I did when going from 5.04 to 5.10.

What's on the DVD version? It's 3.2GB and there's a lack of a useful readme on the disc.

pxc said:
What's on the DVD version? It's 3.2GB and there's a lack of a useful readme on the disc.
More packages. But, if you are like me, I set up apt to get packages from the internet. No need to keep a disk around after initial install.

pxc said:

I just downloaded the dvd version and from what i can understand, it acts as both a live CD and an install CD. There are also several open source windows offerings that can be used to help convert others so to speak, easing the transition from windows i would guess. In the process of baking up my software to give this puppy a try :)

Oh, does anyone know if torrents i have downloading in azureus via windows can be resumed by azureus in kubuntu once i load the download folder and the torrent file?

6.06 makes me sad, I can't use Opera with it. Something about xlibs :(

Talonz said:
6.06 makes me sad, I can't use Opera with it. Something about xlibs :(

what is the exact error

run it from a terminal and print the EXACT lines that come back

I scheduled Sunday to put the kubuntu of it on a spare notebook.

Wish me luck, last time I hated Ubuntu.

But now I hate Fedora so there :)

Sexecutioner said:
I just downloaded the dvd version and from what i can understand, it acts as both a live CD and an install CD.

the cd version can also be installed, when X comes up there is an install icon on the desktop :)
the dvd version only makes sense for people that are on dial up (somewhat of an oxymoron) or have no net connection. apt-get makes installing stuff so easy

I love this release.

I too tried Ubuntu/Kubuntu a while ago (Breezy?) and I was meet with all kinds of performance and other software issues.

I installed the new one (Version 6) and I must say that it whips the pants off my Arch install. Its amazing the amount of broken packages in Arch and the denial/unwillingness of the maintainers to fix them.

I was also disgusted with all the changes that the Arch maintainers would make on a whim, breaking all kinds of packages and then expecting the user to just "Deal with it because that is where Arch is heading..."

Anyway, Dapper installed without issue, all the software works out of the box and I didn't have to hack anything to get hardware/software to work. And even thought its a i386 based distro (Using the i686 SMP kernel though), it is MUCH snappier than the i686 optimized distro.

I was amazed at how smooth games performed in contract to the CK/Nitro based kernel. Doom 3 and Quake 4 are so much smoother (And I thought it was before).

The Mplayer PlugIns for Firefox and Konqi have more visible features than the Arch version did; CD/DVD, USB, Camera, and printer devices worked without hacking udev rules, and for some strange reason, the new nvidia driver works much better and without issue now...

I don't mean to bash Arch... It was a great distro for me for 3 years, but going to Kubuntu was like installing a totally different operating system.

You have to at least try this version out...

My thoughts so far, is that it's a pretty sparse OS from initial install, much like windows in a way, except you get a full office suite.

I have yet to try it on my laptop as i've read of more than one deal-breaker issues on mobile's (something about losing an hour of battery or more vs windows)

Linux on a laptop will only sell me if i can undervolt the cpu and have as much control over power usage as i do with XP currently, THEN throw in good wireless support (out of the box wifi profile roaming with WPA2-AES support that doesnt need a degree to figure out)

Tried putting it on my laptop, but it seems to have a few glitches (some odd ATA command unknown bugs croping up causing it to lock for short periods).

EmbraceThePenguin said:
I love this release.

I too tried Ubuntu/Kubuntu a while ago (Breezy?) and I was meet with all kinds of performance and other software issues.

I installed the new one (Version 6) and I must say that it whips the pants off my Arch install. Its amazing the amount of broken packages in Arch and the denial/unwillingness of the maintainers to fix them.

I was also disgusted with all the changes that the Arch maintainers would make on a whim, breaking all kinds of packages and then expecting the user to just "Deal with it because that is where Arch is heading..."

Anyway, Dapper installed without issue, all the software works out of the box and I didn't have to hack anything to get hardware/software to work. And even thought its a i386 based distro (Using the i686 SMP kernel though), it is MUCH snappier than the i686 optimized distro.

For what it's worth, that is my impression, too. The earlier Ubuntu I tried was so broken that I didn't even make a list of what's broken.

Yesterday I put 6.06 on a spare notebook and it look very slick and fine.

Back