Dante's Inferno ? Is it a [H]ell of a game?

Blakestr

[H]ard|Gawd
First off, let me say I am a huge fan of Dante's Inferno as a literary work. (not so much the political aspect of it, just the journey through Hell aspect). I've actually considered paying hundreds of dollars for a rare copy of the 1860's version. (If I were rich I would find one of the originals)

Second, I love the God of War games.

The consensus I seem to get from the gaming community is that Dante's Inferno is a short, mediocre clone of the God of War/DMC style of gaming. (Oddly enough, I have never liked Devil May Cry...too japanmationist to me).

Should I get this game? I don't want to rent it because I hate blockbuster. I may just wait a year for it to be reduced.

Well you can always possibly catch it at Gamestop. If you use your EDGE card and buy it used, you have up to 7 days to return it. I have used this quite a bit to figure out if I like a game or not.

Well you can always possibly catch it at Gamestop. If you use your EDGE card and buy it used, you have up to 7 days to return it. I have used this quite a bit to figure out if I like a game or not.

Really? That seems too good to be true considering Gamestop. What's the catch? What's to stop people from effectively 'renting' games this way?

Really? That seems too good to be true considering Gamestop. What's the catch? What's to stop people from effectively 'renting' games this way?

You pretty much can rent a game that way if you keep your receipt and get it back in time. You will have to put up $50 for it though ($54.xx used, - $5 for EDGE card).

I've been playing this for about a week now, and let me say this: This is a rental.

You can max out this game in about a play through and a half, including the Gates of Hell Arena mode. If you're thorough, you'll find all the relics in one playthrough, and be totally maxed out on the ones you want to use 1/4 of the way through your second playthrough.

Depending on how good you are at games like this, you may beat the game on normal, anywhere between 7 and 11 hours. One friend did 7, I did 9, another buddy who's never played a game like this ever before, did a little over 11.

I'm going to talk about the second to last, and last level, and it's what really knocked the game from being an upper tier, to a 6 or 7 on the 'out of 10' scale for me...

SPOILER WARNING! SPOILER WARNING... Seriously

The developers ran out of game, time, money, or something. The second to last level takes you through the lower 10 rings by making you do challenges. You walk across a rock bridge to a cave, a voiceover tells you where you are, and then you jump to a pillar in the middle where you go through a bunch of crap like "stay in the air for 8 seconds" or "kill all enemies without blocking", then go through a jumping puzzle or falling elevator to the next section.

it's a total what the fuck, feels like it should be a training level or part of the Gates of Hell challenges, and takes you 100% out of the creepy, unsettling art driven feel of the game from the previous levels.

It's a BFL, big fucking letdown.

The last level is of course an ice level, and includes a huge pain in the ass "wind will blow you off the side while you're fighting" section with two of the hardest non-boss enemies in the game.

Then there's a perilous tip-toe across the falling ice bridge part that is basically stupid.

If you've played a god of war game and beat it on normal, you will breeze through this game like butter

You might even just consider hitting up Blockbuster and renting it for a week.
Everyone has said that the game is short, not too hard, and uneven in parts.
I personally want the game, too, but I have a feeling we'll see it in the clearance bin before summer. Especially with God of War 3 coming so soon.

gamefly it, I bought it, but I sorta wish I rented it...

don't get me wrong its really fun, but I just played it till I got both unholy/holy sides maxed then quit.

Good story too.

Everyone seems to be bashing this game for being a GoW clone. I want to play game for the theme, and I would like to own it as there is a DLC in the works which introduces a new female character and coop mode. But $56+ atm isn't something I would pay for this product - going to wait till it's under $35 and then snag it.

I bought it, it's fun. I haven't completed it yet though. I play games sporadically unless they're incredibly good like GoW.

I work at gamestop, and yea you can do the buy/return within 7 days thing with used games. just pick the ones you want to "rent" carefully, they wont let you do it too often.

My friend bought it for me for my B-Day. I have to say playing the game through on hard took me about 3-4 days to beat. I didn't bother going through and looking at the trophies, I just assumed like every other game out there, there was some sort of trophy that required me to beat the game on Hard, to unlock the harder mode to then beat that for some gold trophies.

After spending 3-4 days playing it and finally beating it on Hard, I went through the trophy list and was disappointed in seeing there was no trophy for beating it on Hard. If you go to start a new game after beating it, you can play in "resurrection mode", where it loads all your skills and relics from your last game. I played through it on very easy, beat it in 1 sitting (although I knew what I was doing which helps). If you play this game on anything other than Hard, you will breeze through it.

Hard is really hard, where guys rape you in 1-4 hits, which really makes for much more interesting gameplay. You actually have to dodge attacks (some are unblockable) and think about when you’re attacking. Overall I agree with most of the reviews out there and give the game about 7 out of 10. I would rank it higher had they included the DLC with the game (where you can play co-op, or have the map editor to make your own "rings of hell")

I think once I get the DLC, this game will have much more replay value, as for now, I have 3 trophies left before I Platinum it, which then I'll let a friend borrow it.

I liked the game a lot because of the setting it is based off of. Ill agree the final two levels are trash. The main reason it is worth buying is for upcoming dlc and support. Coop multiplayer fighting custom levels, etc, in march.

SPOILER WARNING! SPOILER WARNING... Seriously

The developers ran out of game, time, money, or something. The second to last level takes you through the lower 10 rings by making you do challenges. You walk across a rock bridge to a cave, a voiceover tells you where you are, and then you jump to a pillar in the middle where you go through a bunch of crap like "stay in the air for 8 seconds" or "kill all enemies without blocking", then go through a jumping puzzle or falling elevator to the next section.

it's a total what the fuck, feels like it should be a training level or part of the Gates of Hell challenges, and takes you 100% out of the creepy, unsettling art driven feel of the game from the previous levels.

It's a BFL, big fucking letdown.

The last level is of course an ice level, and includes a huge pain in the ass "wind will blow you off the side while you're fighting" section with two of the hardest non-boss enemies in the game.

Then there's a perilous tip-toe across the falling ice bridge part that is basically stupid.

SPOILERS!!!!!!

That's exactly how I felt. I have a PS3 controller that's broken in half because of the fuckn ice level with the wind blowing you off the cliff. Not only is it ridiculously hard there are a few glitches that make you fall off the edge for no reason. Like if you rip the wings off the demon as the wind blows it would push me off.

Also the fact that if you find a relic and die you have to get the relic again.

I would have rated this game 8/10 if it weren't for the last 2 levels and the relice thing I mentioned.

Are you kidding me, the ice level was easy! I played this whole game through Hard and there are many other parts that are way more challenging than that ice part. All you have to do is jump, spam O, jump, spam O, rinse and repeat until they die, then jump to the swing rope and your good.

I guess since I was playing on hard and since every little bit of life counts, I tend to abuse cross beams when I can. Only the raging clit whores, the guys who are anti-magic and the spinning dudes did I not use cross beams on. Almost everything else got a whole lot of crosses in their face.

I played through the god of war collection on ps3 and this game all in the same month, all for the first time, and I think dantes inferno holds up against GOW 1 / 2. They are pretty much the exact same type of game, and about the same quality. If you like gow then you will like dante's inferno, i'd give all three games an 8-9 out of 10 score, all the same, all very good.

Are you kidding me, the ice level was easy! I played this whole game through Hard and there are many other parts that are way more challenging than that ice part. All you have to do is jump, spam O, jump, spam O, rinse and repeat until they die, then jump to the swing rope and your good.

I guess since I was playing on hard and since every little bit of life counts, I tend to abuse cross beams when I can. Only the raging clit whores, the guys who are anti-magic and the spinning dudes did I not use cross beams on. Almost everything else got a whole lot of crosses in their face.

You got lucky, if you didn't die once on the cliff where the mountain-head can blow you off.

If you get knocked down at all, or the game goes into any sort of animation where you are not directly controlling the player you begin to slide with the wind. That includes landing from an air combo, absolve/punish animations, or knock downs.

I would disagree that this game is as good as a God of War game. While I enjoyed it, the game absolutely loses steam towards the end, and for such a short game, that's a huge knock. I still maintain that making the player jump through shitty challenge room hoops at the end of the game is a piss poor, momentum breaking let down from a game that mostly kept the action flowing up until that point.

And yes, the way to beat that is to just cross-whore the entire time, which makes it easy. Easy doesn't mean it cant still be annoying.

You got lucky, if you didn't die once on the cliff where the mountain-head can blow you off.

If you get knocked down at all, or the game goes into any sort of animation where you are not directly controlling the player you begin to slide with the wind. That includes landing from an air combo, absolve/punish animations, or knock downs.

I would disagree that this game is as good as a God of War game. While I enjoyed it, the game absolutely loses steam towards the end, and for such a short game, that's a huge knock. I still maintain that making the player jump through shitty challenge room hoops at the end of the game is a piss poor, momentum breaking let down from a game that mostly kept the action flowing up until that point.

And yes, the way to beat that is to just cross-whore the entire time, which makes it easy. Easy doesn't mean it cant still be annoying.

I agree, I'm about 3/4 through it now and it's not as good as GoW 1/2.

Not by a long shot, and you can tell about halfway through the devs just hit a wall and couldn't come up with shit.

And I was expecting alot more from the story and so far it's just blah.

I agree, I'm about 3/4 through it now and it's not as good as GoW 1/2.

Not by a long shot, and you can tell about halfway through the devs just hit a wall and couldn't come up with shit.

And I was expecting alot more from the story and so far it's just blah.

I'm hoping that sometime in the future they'll do one of those developer interviews they talk about issues they had, and that explains why they went with the 10 challenge room cave thing right before the end of the game.

As you said it was like they hit a wall. I'm curious if they had time constraints placed on them by the publisher, because literally the art just stops. You go from a very strong stylized art direction to literally the same room 10 times over with no variation except the statues, the jumping mechanic to get to the platform and the jumping mechanic separating the sections. And instead of virgil interactions, judas coins and relics, you get (I think) 2 shades.

The pacing gets thrown off by that whole challenge room motif and I just have to wonder what the reason behind it was given how strong the game was up to that point. It's weird to see something go from arguably triple A design to that especially so far into the trek.

Something about it intrigues me, and I think really did the game a disservice, yet I never saw anything mentioned about in reviews anywhere, which also seems odd.

On a side note, playing that game on Infernal makes it one of the hardest games I've played, even compared to GoW. The enemies can one shot you when you least expect it, and most boss encounters require you to dodge at least one instant death move.

It's crazy.

Of those of you who played it, I'm wondering what your least favorite level was. Mine was Heresy, I f'ing hated that area.

I will agree that the final sequence before the final boss fight is Terrible and stupid. But god of war had those spinning blades of death that you had to climb up from hell, and the final quick time battle in god of war 2 were both just as annoying and stupid imo.

I give you one of the more honest reviews I've seen (thanks GB):

http://www.giantbomb.com/ryans-inferno/17-2074/

I hate to be a hater, but that guy should really hang up his reviewer hat.

Equip the plus-three seconds relic, use your divine shield magic, stand in a corner and spam the cross.

done.

I really feel bad that I don't get paid to be bad at games like that guy does.

I wanted to listen to the review but I couldn't stand 30 minutes of that, and then at the end he says it took him two weeks to beat that part. I'm thinking maybe those types of games aren't his thing.

I haven't played the game myself, but since he was all Unholy, is what you suggest (and basically what everyone on that thread said) viable? Is it even available if Dante is specced almost entirely on the other chain?

I haven't played the game myself, but since he was all Unholy, is what you suggest (and basically what everyone on that thread said) viable? Is it even available if Dante is specced almost entirely on the other chain?

No probably not, thanks for catching that for me, because I didn't sift through the whole thing. I went holy my first time through, and that had to have attributed to the ease I burned through the game. I also recommended it to everybody who played it after me. It's not as much fun spamming the cross, but it's almost a must on the harder settings, or with those flying enemies.

The scythe does get more powerful, but it's sooooooo sloooooow, especially on the heavy attacks.

I don't remember if that relic was unholy/holy/neutral but I could have sworn I heard him say he had three seconds to join combos. He probably could have used the sins of the father thing towards the end to help out, but I would probably have used the spinning attack LT+X and the Hammer attack LT+Y instead of jumping around which opens you up to all sorts of abuse. He could have held Y to juggle more, maybe. I don't know.

I think I played waaaaaay too much of that game in the 5 days I had it, sheesh.

I actually kind of balanced mine about half and half, but I pulled the trigger and traded it for Heavy Rain yesterday.

I did half and half and got to like tier 5 on each. Holy is definitely the way to go though. You get that divine protection spell thats really overpowered and your crosses are just insane.

Quick question for those who got far in this game...where are the save points??? i played for over an hour and could not find one

Quick question for those who got far in this game...where are the save points??? i played for over an hour and could not find one

They're statues of Beatrice. You usually find them by Virgil. you walk up, "use" the statue and it pulls up the save menu.

Last edited:
Bought this game for $24+ tax shipped off the EA store

For that price, this game is probably worth the buy

It's a GoW clone, but so wasn't Darksiders?

Why are both of those games bashed for being GoW clones? If it's well done, it's well done, what does it matter if it copies aspects of GoW?

Kind of reminds me of the retarded logic of bashing certain genre's that have new games released as "adding nothing new".

That's basically true of all but a few games . . . .

retarded logic

Why are both of those games bashed for being GoW clones? If it's well done, it's well done, what does it matter if it copies aspects of GoW?

Kind of reminds me of the retarded logic of bashing certain genre's that have new games released as "adding nothing new".

retarded logic
I bought it, it was one of the first I bought for the ps3 (i just got mine basically) and I played it all of 5 days off/on. the story did not keep me wanting more. :(
I want to trade it in

I bought it, it was one of the first I bought for the ps3 (i just got mine basically) and I played it all of 5 days off/on. the story did not keep me wanting more. :(
I want to trade it in

well if you're looking for more games

they just have a bunch of deals now on PS3 games

i suggest looking at amazon.com and SlickDeals to find some good deals

you could pick up MGS4, AC2, Infamous, and Dead Space for $100 shipped

retarded logic

Darksiders is not a GoW clone. And anyone who says that hasn't played it.. clearly..

I played a little bit of Darksiders, it reminds me a bit of GoW, but I haven't played it EXTENSIVELY

Darksiders isn't GoW or DI. I actually enjoyed Darksiders way more than GoW3 or DI :p

Well I have Darksiders sitting in my entertainment center, i borrowed it from a friend

probably gonna play through Dante's Inferno first

my backlog is huge

must retire!! i'm 27 :(

well if you're looking for more games

they just have a bunch of deals now on PS3 games

i suggest looking at amazon.com and SlickDeals to find some good deals

you could pick up MGS4, AC2, Infamous, and Dead Space for $100 shipped

I have MGS4, and Infamous already.
I have DeadSpace on the PC, and I will eventually get AC2 on the pc as well.

I am waiting to beat through god of war 3, and bc2 sp (mp is keeping me semi busy) before I get on mgs4.

Back