Dante's Inferno Demo!

hey guys, its a TOTAL clone of Devil may cry/bayonetta/GOW/any other hack n slash in existence!

Just like MW2 is a TOTAL clone of halo because it has shooting it it!

Its a genre.

I don't think you understand what "clone" means.

Did you play that demo? I mean the fucking presentation style (boat crashing into harbor as an example) is straight from God of War. Straight. MW2 is not a clone of Halo because when you are playing MW2, you know it's not Halo, and when you play Halo, you know it's not MW2. Why is this? Graphics, style, gameplay, sound, and various other factors.

Dante's rips so much from God of War, if you are just watching at first glance you couldn't tell the difference. That's more clone-like than your piss-poof examples.

We're not talking about genre, we're talking about shameless imitation. If you can't comprehend the difference, I suggest not discussing it.

Did you play that demo? I mean the fucking presentation style (boat crashing into harbor as an example) is straight from God of War. Straight. MW2 is not a clone of Halo because when you are playing MW2, you know it's not Halo, and when you play Halo, you know it's not MW2. Why is this? Graphics, style, gameplay, sound, and various other factors.

Dante's rips so much from God of War, if you are just watching at first glance you couldn't tell the difference. That's more clone-like than your piss-poof examples.

We're not talking about genre, we're talking about shameless imitation. If you can't comprehend the difference, I suggest not discussing it.

Just watched a video of it, still haven't tried the demo. All in all it looks decent enough. It definitely is a very direct descendant of God of War, but you'd never mistake the two just looking at it.

I'm actually surprised that more games *haven't* taken up the locked camera, third person brawler type of gameplay offered in God of War. The big benefit of that method is that, with a locked camera that the game is always in control of, the developer has a VERY controlled environment that can be highly optimized to deliver better visuals than what the system would normally be capable of delivering. Look no further than PS2 for an example; not one game on that system looks better than God of War 2, a fact which is *clearly* not because the system is some kind of powerhouse (because it isn't).

Torchlight copies Diablo II pretty handily, and it's $20 on a bad day. This game looks literally like a re-skinned GoW 2.5, and it's $60.

It's the little things - the HUD is the same, you get white orbs instead of red ones, fountains instead of chests (but still green for health!) a scythe which is admittedly sick looking instead of the Blades, but the moves are all there, the different levels of spawning enemies...even the barrier that prevents you from moving on until they're all dead. And the context button timing. If you told me 2 completely different groups of developers worked on these games I'd call you a dirty liar.

I'll get it used for $20, which should happen right around the time GoW 3 drops.

I haven't seen anyone mention this but Michael Cheng, the lead level designer for God of War 2 is the lead level designer for Dante's Inferno.

that was one of the most enjoyable demos ive ever played on xb live and I quit single player games like 5 years ago

Played the demo, finally, and it's actually a lot of fun! Played both the PS3 and 360 versions (identical), and although I don't think it reaches quite to god of war 3 heights it's pretty damn good. They get a lot of mileage out of that locked camera perspective; I'm convinced they could have gotten more.

Torchlight copies Diablo II pretty handily, and it's $20 on a bad day. This game looks literally like a re-skinned GoW 2.5, and it's $60.

It's the little things - the HUD is the same, you get white orbs instead of red ones, fountains instead of chests (but still green for health!) a scythe which is admittedly sick looking instead of the Blades, but the moves are all there, the different levels of spawning enemies...even the barrier that prevents you from moving on until they're all dead. And the context button timing.

aside from the quicktime events, you also described devil may cry and ninja gaiden.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

aside from the quicktime events, you also described devil may cry and ninja gaiden.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

There are definitely a lot of games in this category, but everything about the demo just felt like God of War. The way the camera moved felt just like GoW, and not just the fact that it was locked. The way it would swing to the ship crashing at the beginning it felt like I was playing GoW.

And I don't think that's a bad thing. I love the GoW games, I enjoyed the demo a lot, and will end up getting it at some point.

I'm really surprised at the amount of nudity in this game, never thought i'd see the day I see a shaved woo hoo in a game.

very enjoyable, but the washed out textures and low poly count kinda gets in the way of what could have been great eye candy.

Been playing this demo, and I loved it. There are so many moves, specials, and combos! Can't wait for this to come out.

I'm really surprised at the amount of nudity in this game, never thought i'd see the day I see a shaved woo hoo in a game.

haha didn't notice the lack of pubes, but now that you mention it, yeah.

i won't be buying this game. demo glitched on me while i was fighting Death. I ended up floating well above the ground, unable to move until it finally killed me for no reason.

i might gamefly it

Guy get over it. GoW was influenced by Devil May Cry anyways.

.....Other then the fact the PS3 version is running at 720p opposed to the 360 running at 1080p. Gameplay on the 360 is equally poor and uninspiring as it is on the PS3

The PS3 and 360 version are both 720p.

This is going to be one of those games like prototype. It doesn't sell on the PS3 because there is a better, similar game available that is system exclusive (infamous and GoW). It'll sell OK on the 360 because there's no alternative.

There's absolutely no reason to buy this over God of War 3. It's literally a clone, nothing was changed. Saying "oh GoW was influence by DMC anyway!" isn't a valid defense, because borrowing ideas != copying.

Give this game to a random person, tell him he's playing GoW3 and he'll probably believe it (and ask you what the hell went wrong).

A lot of the mechanics may seem the same as GoW, but I like Dantes style much more. This is based off very old and well written books. The whole abominations and demonic fighting in hell is awesome. The demo hardly showed us anything other then combat mechanics. Scythe > Chains.

Why do people piss and moan about GoW being the poor game being ripped off when GoW is itself a ripoff of another game? It's like GoW fanboys really try to forget Devil May Cry was around beforehand.

"Oh but Kratos can do finishing moves! That's original!"

So can Mortal Kombat (1992) characters.

There's another God of War clone I played tonight: Heavenly Sword. Good game, though.

Let's face it, guys: 95% of the games out today on ANY console are clones of games that came before them.

So true. I liked it, I may purchase it, deciding factor will probably be longevity. I'm intrigued by the setting, playing all the circles of hell could be fun. Rip off or not, if it's fun what's the problem?

There's another God of War clone I played tonight: Heavenly Sword. Good game, though.

Let's face it, guys: 95% of the games out today on ANY console are clones of games that came before them.

heavenly sword was great especially the moves at the end of the game where you take on the whole army at once!!

HS is definitely on my buy list :). It seems like God of War with hot chick, which to me sounds BETTER than God of War :D

with bayonetta getting such rave reviews im not sure I'll actually buy this one anymore.

Bayonetta, now there's a game that's well worth the money. It's what Devil May Cry 4 should have been.

Haven't read alot of this thread yet, but after playing this demo I am just not interested at all. The combat felt very weak compared to all of it's rivals, Bayonetta/Darksiders/GoW/Heavenly Sword. The art style in it too isn't my favorite although it does look to be very well done.

HS is definitely on my buy list :). It seems like God of War with hot chick, which to me sounds BETTER than God of War :D

Heavenly Sword is fantastic! I have always liked it far better than GoW on PS2 and PSP and there's more than the hot chick to explain it.

- The combat felt just as fluid except there was more depth to it.
- EXCELLENT voice acting from Anna Torv (Olivia Dunham from Fringe) and the rest of the cast
- The story was compelling and well paced

I haven't spent much time playing any other games in this genre (GOW, etc). That said, I thought the demo was entertaining, may pick up the game when it comes out if I'm done with what I'm playing now ;)

At the end of the day, I'm looking for fun. So far, I like it.

The beast riding part was bad arse. Apparently there's an anime coming out soon with backstories and such.

I played the demo, and it glitched while I was fighting Death after getting stabbed in the back. The boss grabbed me to do a move, and everything kept moving around, my guy was kinda floating back and forth and there was animation and sound, but it never stopped.

Glitchy demo = Glitchy game. I definitely didn't expect that on a console.

I played the demo, and it glitched while I was fighting Death after getting stabbed in the back. The boss grabbed me to do a move, and everything kept moving around, my guy was kinda floating back and forth and there was animation and sound, but it never stopped.

Glitchy demo = Glitchy game. I definitely didn't expect that on a console.

strange, I played the demo on both 360 and ps3 and had no problems on either one.

Agreed. Especially after seeing GiantBomb's quick look at the game, I'm super pumped! Hell looks great.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I put my pre-order in almost 3 months ago.

Gamestop had their automated system call me to tell me about the midnight release for this game. The thing is, they used the most annoying, high-pitched, please stab-me-in-the-ear-and-make-the-evil-stop teeny-bopper screechy voice I have ever heard in my entire 35 years on this earth to inform me of this news. The girl responsible for this voice might even be found in one of the 9 circles of hell in this game. I'll find out when I pick it up during my lunch break tomorrow.

I was amazed by how awesome the graphics looked. I enjoyed GoW a lot and will probably enjoy this just as much. Why does it have to release the same time as BioShock 2.....

Dante's Inferno is a great God of War mod. That's basically the only positive thing I can say about the game.

"Visceral" Games have no originality whatsoever. Dead Space apes Resident Evil 4, Dante's Inferno plagiarises God of War (which people seem to forget dumbs down the fighting system Devil May Cry made famous)...even the company's logo is too similar to that of Volition (Red Faction, Saints Row).

The unoriginality is far too pronounced to be ignored, let alone excused with lame "it doesn't need to reinvent the wheel" cop-outs.

Back