Dang you vista!

Nephelim

n00b
Apparently at some point, my vista box (my main rig) decided that it would be a good idea to put the nic to sleep when idle to save power. Obviously, this didn't end well for F@H when tied in with the fact that I have been too busy recently to check on it.

7 days. 7 days of sitting there not working. Vista causes cancer, film at 11.

I've since turned off the powersave stuff for my NIC. This is odd since it was not happening before. Perhaps an SP1 artifact, who knows?

So vista users, make sure the powersave stuff is off for nics on your folding boxes.

Device manager -> Network Adapters -> your nic -> Power Management tab.
uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Man, that's messed up. I'm seriously thinking about taking Vista Ultimate 64 off my main boxen and selling it. Kinda getting tired of fighting it all the time. :rolleyes:

Damn you vista!

Please do not use words like "damn" in thread titles.

Thanks for the post. My main rig was configured just like yours. I have since fixed that. ggrrr

Man, that's messed up. I'm seriously thinking about taking Vista Ultimate 64 off my main boxen and selling it. Kinda getting tired of fighting it all the time. :rolleyes:

If you sell it for a good price I might buy.

It's like smoking, buying Vista cause cancer :(

Well, damn that Vista, same feature as XP,, win2k and I believe win98.

Wasn't beauty killed the Vista, it was the bull.......er......Pussy users;):p

A lot when you add up all the computers in the world...its amazing how even minor power savings add up quick!

You are probably right but if you look at that power loss against having the whole machine run for hours or a full day doing nothing………………….

Not even a grain of sand on the beach;)

Wow thanks, I never thought of it. I always set things like HDD/monitor power down times and what not to different than standard, but never thought about looking @ the power management states within the NIC tab.

While I have Vista X86, have not installed SP1 yet, I *did* find however that the "shut down" option was *checked*. Hasn't caused as issue yet, that I know of, but CYA, one less thing to worry about checking - thanks again.

And yes, re: the power saving issues, I ordinarily want to deal with that in some way, and maximize the savings (while keeping the PC as "speedy" as it always is in use)... But when a program such as this relies so heavily on networking issues for itself to communicate, and a simple checkbox can f*ck it up, it's gone. Nor is this a Vista only thing as noted, I know it was there in XP as well, as to whether or not the option is on by default as well, I don't recall - don't have a bootable XP install @ the moment.

[edit] Come to think of it, I don't have any worry I believe. I usually have some sort of network activity, irrespective of the F@H SMP issue, so the chance of the NIC getting turned off is likely none as such. Need m0ar caffeine.

Thats one of the main reasons I've running to dual VM's and not just plain dual SMP clients.
The client inside the VM is independent of the outside network.
So if the network goes down, the client still runs.

Luck ............ :D

And in a perfect world, I'd be there with you guys (and gals? - yeah right ;)). But I don't have the spare RAM needed to devote to dual VMs, although that's what a trivial $60-90ish at most right now for a good 2x2GB(?) set - but I digress. And the biggest concern to me, as my quad rig, as sig'd - gaming is a big issue for me. Whether I play at most a couple hours a week, or even as much as multiple hours per day (the more likely/common scenario :p), Linux just can't hack it as 95%+ of any popular games that I'm likely to try or have tried just are not playable on it. Nor do I really consider Wine (or whatever it's called now) a viable option, at least for me. Maybe in the future, but not now.

And in a perfect world, I'd be there with you guys (and gals? - yeah right ;)). But I don't have the spare RAM needed to devote to dual VMs, although that's what a trivial $60-90ish at most right now for a good 2x2GB(?) set - but I digress. And the biggest concern to me, as my quad rig, as sig'd - gaming is a big issue for me. Whether I play at most a couple hours a week, or even as much as multiple hours per day (the more likely/common scenario :p), Linux just can't hack it as 95%+ of any popular games that I'm likely to try or have tried just are not playable on it. Nor do I really consider Wine (or whatever it's called now) a viable option, at least for me. Maybe in the future, but not now.

Once you have enough memory, there are three options that work when gaming with VM's.

First:- Game with the VM's running normally, work ok with with low power games.
Second:- Just set the affinity so the two VM's share three cores and the game uses the other.
Third:- Switch one VM off. Use Affinity to lock the game on the empty cores.

As Windoze is your main OS, games play ok.
The only time I find the VM clients affects my gaming is when playing online games and the client uploads work, then the game lags .... :mad:

Ps. I found that if you're gaming and running the Windoze SMP client, your best setting affinity so that the game is on one core and the SMP client has the other three.
The SMP client will slow down less doing that than if it trys to run on all four cores.
But I don't know how Affinity Changer will work if you try to lock FAH to three cores.
I think if you use Affinity Changer then just leave it on all 4 cores.

Luck ........... :D

Back