Dang Wireless

xTABx7

Gawd
So i just set up my router(linksys wireless B) and i set my local IP as the DMZ HOST so i can get onto my freinds ftp. But i cant resolve it at all. Windows firewall is off, its set up correctly on his side, we thought it may have somthing to do with our school blocking the port, but i switched my instant messanger to that same port and we were able to transfer files. Is there anything off the bat anyone can think of?

xTABx7 said:
So i just set up my router(linksys wireless B) and i set my local IP as the DMZ HOST so i can get onto my freinds ftp.

DMZ to access a FTP site?
Did I read that correctly?

That kinda threw me too....you don't need to put yer box on a DMZ to access someone ELSE's ftp site. If you are hosting an FTP site yourself, you just need to forward the port to your local IP (assuming your Router has a built in Firewall that is)

i read that your pc needs to be the DMZ host to be outside the routers firewall.. maybe i'm way off but i remember thats what i used to have to do to use remote administration. Does anyone know another way?

As I said, if your router has a built in Firewall (or your friends for that matter) you need to enable port 22 (i think that's the FTP port) and forward it to your box's IP. There is no need to be in a DMZ. I suggest using Secure FTP instead but...your call.

its my router... my freinds ftp. I tried port range fowarding and it didnt work last night, i'll try it again when i get home from work i suppose.

nova_rock said:
then You shouldnt have to mess around with this

Nothing at all? there is definatly somthing i have to change, i'm just not sure what it is

nothing at all. As an FTP client there is nothing to do. You only need to forward ports or setup a virtual server if you are hosting the FTP site. Since he is there is nothing to do on your client of the router, including setting your machine in your DMZ, which was fruitless from the beginning anyway. Now there may be some kind of firewall that is blocking outbound traffic on certain ports. FTP port are 20 and 21 by default. 20 for data and 21 for command.

Back