DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

At first I like to apologize for the lack of information in the last month. Since some month I don’t work on the HSLP-48, because I had to realize that selling a heatsink and a case are two different things.

In comparison to the L9i the new prototypes were 8-13°C better (depending on CPU clock). In my opinion the results were great although the old CoolJag samples were better.

The main problem of the heatsink project was the high minimum order quantity (MOQ). The Kickstarter price for 1000 units would be 60-70€ without a fan. For each heatsink the profit would be 10€ before tax. Staring from a quantity of 10.000 units the price would be on competitors level. The high order quantity is necessary to lower the very high tooling fees. The workload of shipping 1000 heatsinks is the same as for 1000 cases. To make it short the expected quantities on the given price point is too low and the ratio between workload and profit is also too low.

For this reason I made the decision to stop working on the HSLP-48 and focusing on C4-SFX and A4-SFXv3. But I send my idea to a heatsink manufacturer and they made the decision to create such an heatsink. My original plan was it to write this update together with the first prototype pictures and results, but some followers couldn’t wait any longer ;). Currently I can’t give you more information so please be patient.

Thank you for your support

Daniel

What manufacturer are producing this heatsink ?

Bummer!

That's bad news... although, with a bit of good news in there, too - hopefully this manufacturer comes through!

I wish the HSLP-48 could've been worth your time, dondan.

Are you able to indicate whether the HSLP-48 will be (or is likely to be) compatible with the Asus ROG Strix Z370-i mobo? I only ask because a few comments in the thread seemed to suggest that it wouldn't be compatible, which I found weird.

I think this is for the best, focus on cases and let an experienced manufacturer do the heatsink. Niche cases sell, niche heatsinks are a much smaller/almost non-existent market, and they require higher volumes to bring down price -- I can see how that's not a winning combination. But I'm happy the heatsink may see the light of day after all. And for the A4-SFX v2 and v3, anyone who needs better cooling will probably just do an AIO anyway.

dondan
At first I like to apologize for the lack of information in the last month. Since some month I don’t work on the HSLP-48, because I had to realize that selling a heatsink and a case are two different things.

In comparison to the L9i the new prototypes were 8-13°C better (depending on CPU clock). In my opinion the results were great although the old CoolJag samples were better.

The main problem of the heatsink project was the high minimum order quantity (MOQ). The Kickstarter price for 1000 units would be 60-70€ without a fan. For each heatsink the profit would be 10€ before tax. Staring from a quantity of 10.000 units the price would be on competitors level. The high order quantity is necessary to lower the very high tooling fees. The workload of shipping 1000 heatsinks is the same as for 1000 cases. To make it short the expected quantities on the given price point is too low and the ratio between workload and profit is also too low.

For this reason I made the decision to stop working on the HSLP-48 and focusing on C4-SFX and A4-SFXv3. But I send my idea to a heatsink manufacturer and they made the decision to create such an heatsink. My original plan was it to write this update together with the first prototype pictures and results, but some followers couldn’t wait any longer ;). Currently I can’t give you more information so please be patient.

Daniel
Is there a possibility to buy one of your prototypes? :)

Because the case is unique, it requires a unique heatsink to perform best. For this reason, I see the heatsink as part of the case! I would buy them both at the same time!

Because the case is unique, it requires a unique heatsink to perform best. For this reason, I see the heatsink as part of the case! I would buy them both at the same time!
It's difficult. I'm sure that many people at some point in time would buy the case and the heatsink at the same time. But what matters is when it comes to funding. There is no guarantee that everyone will maintain the "I will buy" stance when it comes to actually buying it. Luckily I dropped off of this and the Dan A4 when support for the 2011 square ilm was booted. Funny enough it was the square ilm that pretty much prompted this design as the dynatron t318 wasn't that great with the 5820k.

Hi Dan, will there be some new news or details on the heatsink in the near future?
Cheers,
Tim

Hi Dan, will there be some new news or details on the heatsink in the near future?
Cheers,
Tim

This is literally posted on this page.

Daniel

I working on it in cooperation with the manufacturer. Maybe I will have the sample in May.

Btw: They tested my hslp-48 sample and told me, that the soldering on heatpipes was not very good. They expect better temps on the new samples made by them.

Last edited:
I need this cooler so much.... all this waiting makes me go crazy at this point.
I'm glad we have people like dondan that are shifting the industry in the SFF direction, without him maybe we would never had such a cooler in a big manufacturer mind let alone making one. Thank you!

What I can already say, the new heatsink looks very nice and will fit on your Strix boards. In cooperation with me the manufacturer redesigned and optimized the heatsink so it will not look like my last HSLP-48 renderings, but it will use the same base idea.

I can't wait to have it in my hand and show it too you :)

Last edited:
Wow this is good news!! Hopefully having a tall ram like g skill trident wont be a problem. I decided to grab it rather than a hyperX thinking the project is over.

dondan, please share the name of the manufacturer, this way I know what name to google in a few quarters from now, to see where/how I can buy this cooler.

Or can you just leave a few clues, we need some info that will help us find this cooler at some point.

For instance, will the cooler still be 48mm? that would help a lot, in searching.

Back