DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

-2C at the beginning, but what about all the dust that'll go in through there?

Had my Sentry since June, still no dust in the system/fans. This was also the case in my last case, haha get it, cause it...ok I’ll see myself out now.

On a serious note, I am not sure what environments cause dust in cases. As I have not had a dusty case in over 10 years.

you can fix a bigger fan on top of it using some rubber band or plastic coated twist ties

Carpet.

And Negative Pressure case setup.

When the case is running, its positive pressure so no dust enters through the IO area. When off, there is minimal airflow in the room, so dust tends to just fall onto horizontal surfaces, and dust does collect anyway. Dust should fall through the top holes, and possibly through the IO port anyway, but a small case like the A4 I tend to move it around a fair bit and is easy to blow out dust should it build up.

Havent had any significant level of dust since the first kickstarter :)

Reactions: RosaJ
like this
you can fix a bigger fan on top of it using some rubber band or plastic coated twist ties

Not helpful- a fan blows a lot more air closer to the blade tips, which would be outside of the heat sink. That’s why people (are/were) so excited about the hslp-48; with larger dimensions you could use a bigger fan.

Direct contact heatpipes aren't ideal. They're a great way to save money on manufacturing while making for a decent marketing gimmick but offers no real performance improvement, in fact if the direct contact pipes aren't directly over the cpu die they won't conduct very much heat at all. The outer pipes may be completely useless for conducting heat. I'm sure someone will try it though.

sxiw8Yt.jpg

if you remove the left clip for the side panel and do 4 drills more, you can put the radiador without lose the front usb

Hola!, supercool tu ordenador,
Did you connect the Enermax pump to the Aquaero Aquabus ports?

Fernando93 and galletabah, Its great that you guys are bi lingual but not everyone here is. it would be a shame for someone to miss out on important information because they cant read it so please stick to English while on this forum..Its not only polite, its a rule...:)

Direct contact heatpipes aren't ideal. They're a great way to save money on manufacturing while making for a decent marketing gimmick but offers no real performance improvement...

Direct-touch heatpipes do save z-height and weight over a large metal block on all sides. I would think they would still be a good choice if they have good conduction across the top and sides. The processors glued-on heatspreader can be thought of as the bottom block but more mass would always be better.

This Silverstone design that just bends the fins is bound to disappoint. Mass is needed to conduct to the outer heatpipes.

Got my V2 yesterday and put everything in. I'm having a hell of time fitting the Asetek AIO with an EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 since there is no room for the ATX power cable to be routed so it creates this jumbled mess that prevents me from putting the side panel on.

I may have to switch to an air cooler unless I figure out how to do get the cables routed.

xjUyzbZ.jpg

c9Etyfd.jpg

e6ZT0uw.jpg

Any updates at all on this cooler? I may have to ditch the AIO as I can't get the power cables to fit with it.

Any updates at all on this cooler? I may have to ditch the AIO as I can't get the power cables to fit with it.

I think Dondan is taking an early retirement.

In all seriousness he has AWOL since December.

It looks like he posted an update on his A4 V2 kickstarter campaign on February 4. My guess is that he's really busy dealing with shipping out cases. It would be nice if he actually told us that though.

Well, you can't rush art, and the HSLP-48 is Dondan's work. It will exist when it can. It's not like he's resting on his laurels, and even if he was, he deserves the break lol. The good coolers for the A4 SFX that exist today are well-documented. I for one am glad that Dondan has proposed this CPU cooler, which will be the perfect finishing touch for the A4. Until then, we can wait! ;)

Hmm...Interesteing.

This has been an update from your friendly neighborhood hooligan.

Hey Dan,
I've been busy reading up on ideas to run a custom loop through my A4 on the [H]ardforum feed, got sidetracked from this.
I see you said on tuesday there'd be an update soon, any idea how soon?

No problem.
Are you able to say whether the HLSP-48 will be available for retail sale or are you going to run kickstarter project again?

Probably a lot of things to test especially compatability with motherboards and ram sticks. Does not help that Ryzen 2 is nearing its release.

At first I like to apologize for the lack of information in the last month. Since some month I don’t work on the HSLP-48, because I had to realize that selling a heatsink and a case are two different things.

In comparison to the L9i the new prototypes were 8-13°C better (depending on CPU clock). In my opinion the results were great although the old CoolJag samples were better.

The main problem of the heatsink project was the high minimum order quantity (MOQ). The Kickstarter price for 1000 units would be 60-70€ without a fan. For each heatsink the profit would be 10€ before tax. Staring from a quantity of 10.000 units the price would be on competitors level. The high order quantity is necessary to lower the very high tooling fees. The workload of shipping 1000 heatsinks is the same as for 1000 cases. To make it short the expected quantities on the given price point is too low and the ratio between workload and profit is also too low.

For this reason I made the decision to stop working on the HSLP-48 and focusing on C4-SFX and A4-SFXv3. But I send my idea to a heatsink manufacturer and they made the decision to create such an heatsink. My original plan was it to write this update together with the first prototype pictures and results, but some followers couldn’t wait any longer ;). Currently I can’t give you more information so please be patient.

Thank you for your support

Daniel

Back