DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

I have six samples here:

2x HSLP-48 4 heatpipe all copper Cooljag sample
2x HSLP-48 4 heatpipe alu/copper Cooljag sample

1x HSLP-48 4 heatpipe all copper LianLi sample
1x HSLP-48 4 heatpipe alu/copper LianLi sample

I can only sell 4x retention for socket 2066/2011-3 narrow and square. So two samples will have no retention. If you have the Thermalright AXP100 retention you can use that one. The fan clips aren't pefect maybe you have to bend it by yourself or mount the fan with zip ties.

I can give no warranry, the samples are prototypes so the quality isn't perfect. Users with Asrock x99e itx or x299e itx will be prefered. Please write me a PM if you are interested in.
Pm'd

I have a retention kit from 1151 to AM4 to make my NH-L9i work on the new platform. Would this retention kit work with the HSLP? I could test an 8-core Ryzen CPU. ;)

The final HSLP-48 will come with 115x and AM4 retention. Furthermore the retention is 100% compatible to L9i retention. Today I got a Asus Rog Strix b350i gaming and a Ryzen 7 1700.
Slightly off topic, but could you confirm that the VRM on the B350-I is the same as the X370-I? See this post for the X370-I. I don't see any reason to get the X370-I.

I'am highly interested in buying one of your prototypes! Please pm if you have want to sell it ;)

I have six samples here:

I can only sell 4x retention for socket 2066/2011-3 narrow and square. So two samples will have no retention. If you have the Thermalright AXP100 retention you can use that one. The fan clips aren't pefect maybe you have to bend it by yourself or mount the fan with zip ties.

I can give no warranry, the samples are prototypes so the quality isn't perfect. Users with Asrock x99e itx or x299e itx will be prefered. Please write me a PM if you are interested in.

He tested full copper already and found that alu fins are more effective.

I would say there that the alu fins where within the test variance of the copper fins. It is almost impossible for the aluminium fins to be better than the copper fins. It would have to be because of the colour (different radiation spectrum; effect is tinny though) or the surface finish (which is possible but it is also a pretty small effect).

Well, anyone here interested in a v1 silver a4? As the hslp 48 no longer supporta narrow lga I'll be moving to another case.

I have six samples here:

dondan, I sent you a message. Been desperate for a Narrow ILM heatsink solution for the x99e-itx since the first Kickstarter.

I will answer your PMs on Sunday. I currently moving with my home and office, so I am very busy. Actually I have 5 request for the HSLP-48 prototypes so everyone can get one.

For everyone with 2066/2011-3 that plan to sell the case because the HSLP-48 will not support this socket please keep in mind that the Asetek 545LC will still work.

I will answer your PMs on Sunday. I currently moving with my home and office, so I am very busy. Actually I have 5 request for the HSLP-48 prototypes so everyone can get one.

For everyone with 2066/2011-3 that plan to sell the case because the HSLP-48 will not support this socket please keep in mind that the Asetek 545LC will still work.
Any other way to get the 545LC besides the Asetek website?

Would like to send a pm, but I haven’t permission to do so. Could you send me one?

dondan haven't read all the pages so I'm sorry if thats been asked before.

Will it be possible to put the fan on top instead of the bottom? I know this would be an increase in height but maybe also an increase in performance.

dondan haven't read all the pages so I'm sorry if thats been asked before.

Will it be possible to put the fan on top instead of the bottom? I know this would be an increase in height but maybe also an increase in performance.

Not dondan, but it’s designed for both. A4, Sentry, and (if produced) the 2-4 fan proposed ncase spinoff, and some others, all have the HSLP’s height as the max height, so that’s where a lot of the discussion has been.

The bigger question is whether dual fans (say, slim 120 on top and 92/120 underneath) would permit this heat sink to beat out the 65mm class.

I will now start testing :)

img_4282mesyn.jpg

Nice Dan. Looking forward to it. Thank you.

This might have been answered already via all the relevant threads and hundreds of posts but, is the 545LC+A9x14 still a good choice compared to the other air options?

Nice Dan. Looking forward to it. Thank you.

This might have been answered already via all the relevant threads and hundreds of posts but, is the 545LC+A9x14 still a good choice compared to the other air options?

The first generation hslp-48 performed slightly better than the 545LC did. Hopefully one of these two will perform better.

The first generation hslp-48 performed slightly better than the 545LC did. Hopefully one of these two will perform better.

Ok, Thanks.

I know that more and more people are going to be getting the 8700k and even though the TDP is only a bit higher, I think the 545LC might struggle a bit especially if it's OC to 5GHz.

Last edited:
I start testing with my old 4 heatpipe HSLP-48 cooljag sample to have a reference value. Wow the Ryzen 1700 stays very cool with default clock. With fan on 100% only 48°C in Prime95. This is too low so I clock it to 8x 3,8Ghz XD. Higher values are better for comparison. Currently the Prime95 v29.4 8k Test with FFTs in Place run 5min and I have only 71°C on a 8 core CPU. I didn't expect so low temps with ryzen.

I start testing with my old 4 heatpipe HSLP-48 cooljag sample to have a reference value. Wow the Ryzen 1700 stays very cool with default clock. With fan on 100% only 48°C in Prime95. This is too low so I clock it to 8x 3,8Ghz XD. Higher values are better for comparison. Currently the Prime95 v29.4 8k Test with FFTs in Place run 5min and I have only 71°C on a 8 core CPU. I didn't expect so low temps with ryzen.
This is with the A12? Please try the A9 too! Also, I assume this is open bench? Also thanks!

Nice, that matches what I get with an NH-L12 and R7 1700, open bench.

After some test I made the decision to go with the two test scenarios. Default clock and 3,6Ghz @1,275V. I made the decision to make sure that also the L9i can handle the test. What I can say, the 5 heatpipe version is 15°C better as the L9i ;)

After some test I made the decision to go with the two test scenarios. Default clock and 3,6Ghz @1,275V. I made the decision to make sure that also the L9i can handle the test. What I can say, the 5 heatpipe version is 15°C better as the L9i ;)

Nice. :D

So here are the first results.

Setup:
Environment: open air (benchtable)
Room Temp: 22°C
Hardware: Ryzen 7 1700, Asus ROG Strix B350I-Gaming, Micron VLP DDR4 2400
Test Tool: Prime95 v.29.4, 8K Test FFTs in-place
Duration: each 15min

Ryzen 1700 default
  • HSLP-48 4HP (CJ) + A12x15 = 48°C
  • HSLP-48 5HP (LL) + A12x15 = 49°C
  • HSLP-48 4HP (LL) + A12x15 = 51°C
  • HSLP-48 6HP (LL) + A12x15 = 51°C
  • Noctua L9i + A9x14 = 62°C

Ryzen 1700 @3,6Ghz 1,26V

• HSLP-48 4HP (CJ) + A12x15 = 62°C
  • HSLP-48 5HP (LL) + A12x15 = 67°C
  • HSLP-48 6HP (LL) + A12x15 = 69°C
  • HSLP-48 4HP (LL) + A12x15 = 77°C
  • Noctua L9i + A9x14 = 82°C

* LL = LianLi
* CJ = CoolJag
* HP = Heatpipe

Yes you see right the 4 heatpipe CoolJag sample from summer is still the best. Maybe CoolJag use better heatpipes, or a better soldering material to connect heatpipe and CPU plate or maybe the brushed bottom surface is better as the polished LL surface.

The test show us, that heatpipe isn't the most important thing. There is a point where surface rules against heatpipe count. On the Ryzen CPU I used for the test you can see that on default clock nearly every heatsink perform the same. So the heatpipe performance or count has not a big impact on the results. The overclocked CPU generates more heat so the heatsink from LianLi with more pipes are better, but 5 heatpipes are enough. The 6 heatpipe sample has less surface as the 5 heatpipe sample because of the extra pipe this result in the 2°C difference. Maybe some of you will think a CoolJag sample with 5 heatpipes will be also much better as the 4 pipe sample. I don't think this is true because the CoolJag sample reach already the sweetpot and more pipes will reduce the surface.

I will do more tests with different fan sizes and also inside the case in the next days.

Yes you see right the 4 heatpipe CoolJag sample from summer is still the best. Maybe CoolJag use better heatpipes, or a better soldering material to connect heatpipe and CPU plate or maybe the brushed bottom surface is better as the polished LL surface.

My bad for asking so much but are the first batch heatsinks accounted for? You said you would let us know today but I am still lost as to who is going to be able to buy these heatsinks.

So here are the first results.

Setup:
Environment: open air (benchtable)
Room Temp: 22°C
Hardware: Ryzen 7 1700, Asus ROG Strix B350I-Gaming, Micron VLP DDR4 2400
Test Tool: Prime95 v.29.4, 8K Test FFTs in-place
Duration: each 15min

Ryzen 1700 default
  • HSLP-48 4HP (CJ) + A12x15 = 48°C
  • HSLP-48 5HP (LL) + A12x15 = 49°C
  • HSLP-48 4HP (LL) + A12x15 = 51°C
  • HSLP-48 6HP (LL) + A12x15 = 51°C
  • Noctua L9i + A9x14 = 62°C

Ryzen 1700 @3,6Ghz 1,26V

* LL = LianLi
* CJ = CoolJag
* HP = Heatpipe

The test show us, that heatpipe isn't the most important thing. There is a point where surface rules against heatpipe count. On the Ryzen CPU I used for the test you can see that on default clock nearly every heatsink perform the same. So the heatpipe performance or count has not a big impact on the results. The overclocked CPU generates more heat so the heatsink from LianLi with more pipes are better, but 5 heatpipes are enough. The 6 heatpipe sample has less surface as the 5 heatpipe sample because of the extra pipe this result in the 2°C difference. Maybe some of you will think a CoolJag sample with 5 heatpipes will be also much better as the 4 pipe sample. I don't think this is true because the CoolJag sample reach already the sweetpot and more pipes will reduce the surface.

I will do more tests with different fan sizes and also inside the case in the next days.

Looks like Noctua's response is actually valid. I am curious how the 5HP and 6HP CJ coolers would perform as it seems like Lian Li 5HP performed the best out of the three Lian-Li samples.

I think they will perform on the same level as the 4 heatpipe or some degrees worse because of less surface.

Ryzen 1700 @3,6Ghz 1,26V
That's really interesting. I think that this is the first direct comparison of the CoolJag cooler against another air cooler on the market. Because the last air cooler test was with the Lian Li's copper one against the Cryorig C7, right?
If you go by the very first tests where the Cooltek LP53 was about 10% better than the L9i then it would do about 74°C in this test (though obviously the difference isn't linear). A ~13°C (a little under 20%) difference would be great for the HSLP :)

dondan Can you also test the LP53 which is basically the best air cooler under 50mm currently?

Last edited:
Uhm dondan can you test an i7 8700 or any Coffee lake in the near future? As much as I want the R1700 it is not that good for MMORPG :(

I'm in the same boat, I have a 8700k on the way but I'm struggling with my cooling decision.
I have a V1 so I can mod for an AIO but if the noise/performance will be the same with one of these cooljags then I don't see the point.

Anyone running a coffee lake with the 92mm aio with good results?

I'm in the same boat, I have a 8700k on the way but I'm struggling with my cooling decision.
I have a V1 so I can mod for an AIO but if the noise/performance will be the same with one of these cooljags then I don't see the point.

Anyone running a coffee lake with the 92mm aio with good results?

That's a lot of money for one guy to front up for testing purposes.

Back