DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

dondan - from the latest renders, almost looks like a 120 x 25mm fan would clear the heat pipes?
Maybe with a bit of notching to the frame fan?

Obviously, only applicable to those making their own brackets ;)

Really like this heatsink! Hopefully it will work on all 120mm fan types or just strictly low profile fans? It would be interesting to see which vendor of 120mm would work best for cooling and noise. Cant wait to see how your prototype does Dan! Would be great to go with my new v2 case ;)

Really like this heatsink! Hopefully it will work on all 120mm fan types or just strictly low profile fans? It would be interesting to see which vendor of 120mm would work best for cooling and noise. Cant wait to see how your prototype does Dan! Would be great to go with my new v2 case ;)

As noted above- only low profile fans. There obviously needs to be testing, but given the numbers and noise level, the Noctua A12x15 is almost certainly the one to go with.

I thought the low profile was only related to the ram clearance. Interested to see the push/pull configuration as well.

I thought the low profile was only related to the ram clearance. Interested to see the push/pull configuration as well.

Dondan is making this cooler so that it's usable with the A4 and the Sentry, so 48mm in height. The CPU base takes up height, as do the fins, and the fan has to go in between in a pull configuration. IIRC, a Noctua L9i is something like 23mm tall without a fan- that would be 48mm tall with a 25mm fan, and it doesn't have the heat pipes to deal with. So yes, this cooler needs something 15mm or less in height for a pull fan. Push fan can obviously be taller if you have more room above.

At the moment is there a better option than the nh-l9a for an AM4 board? Since i know Dan takes time to ensure the quality of his products I want something as a place holder cooler.

At the moment is there a better option than the nh-l9a for an AM4 board? Since i know Dan takes time to ensure the quality of his products I want something as a place holder cooler.
The L9a is great, after tweaking my fan curve I it peaks at 68-69 in prime95 at 2200rpm with my 1700. I will probably buy the Dan cooler as I reckon I can go semi passive like my GPU with the Dan cooler.

The L9a is great, after tweaking my fan curve I it peaks at 68-69 in prime95 at 2200rpm with my 1700. I will probably buy the Dan cooler as I reckon I can go semi passive like my GPU with the Dan cooler.
What is the clock on your 1700? I am running a 1600 so the thermal profile should be about the same if not slightly better.

What is the clock on your 1700? I am running a 1600 so the thermal profile should be about the same if not slightly better.
Default clocks, based on the the analysis of all the benchmarks I've seen I don't see much benefit in overclocking for gaming unless you can exceed your two core boost clock speeds, 3.7 on my 1700. That said, I think the l9a should handle 3.8 on all cores for a 1600 without a problem.

Hi Dondan, will it fit on Gigabytes GA-Z270N-Gaming 5 motherboard?
I'm really excited to put it in my zaber sentry ;)

Default clocks, based on the the analysis of all the benchmarks I've seen I don't see much benefit in overclocking for gaming unless you can exceed your two core boost clock speeds, 3.7 on my 1700. That said, I think the l9a should handle 3.8 on all cores for a 1600 without a problem.
I'm torn between the l9a which i know is a great cooler and something like the PH-TC12LS which will barely fit without a top fan. I think i can runn the 12LS passive if i stick to stock. Also trying to figure out i i can squeeze a fan under the heatsink.

I'm torn between the l9a which i know is a great cooler and something like the PH-TC12LS which will barely fit without a top fan. I think i can runn the 12LS passive if i stick to stock. Also trying to figure out i i can squeeze a fan under the heatsink.
If you are getting the HSLP-48 then I'd just grab the cheapest one. Honestly, the l9a since it is a guaranteed fit.

If you are getting the HSLP-48 then I'd just grab the cheapest one. Honestly, the l9a since it is a guaranteed fit.
Yea thats the route i wound up going. The Phanteks one has a 13mm gap to squeeze a fan below the heat sink. I'm just not sure its worth the modding effort or waiting for them to send me the AM4 bracket. They did claim that it can passively cool a r5 1600 though.

Big Update:

Today I finsehed the work on the heatpipe version. I will order it next week. Here are some pictures of it:

v1.15627u5f.jpg

v1.1578juvz.jpg

v1.1585muzo.jpg

v1.1599uury.jpg

v1.160ebuwt.jpg

parts11s5m.jpg

retention.163y4swi.jpg

How Far away are the new Prototypes and tests on the new heatzink ??

How Far away are the new Prototypes and tests on the new heatzink ??
Sadly still not here or not at a significant point in the development if Dondan hasn't posted anything. He is pretty good when it comes to posting relevant updates as they are available.

Sadly still not here or not at a significant point in the development if Dondan hasn't posted anything. He is pretty good when it comes to posting relevant updates as they are available.
I would rather Dondan take his time to fully test out and make the best possible <= 48mm height cpu cooler. If a decent number of people buy it, it will get other companies like Noctua interested to mass producing a similar design.

We need to put offerings of hot cpus on our A4s to coax the HSLP-48 out of hybernation.

He said he finished the design and would order prototypes "next week" on August 4th. If he made that order sometime around the 9th, he won't be getting any protoypes until mid-late September.

Really excited to see the performance! Also looking forward to heatmaping the spread if you end up doing one. I would definitely use this in my Dan case.

Fingers crossed for passive, subs 60ish degree operation during normal desktop usage with my 1700. I'm not far off that with my L9a. That would be seriously cool, no pun intended.

i pre papologize for stupid thought. is im pretty tired with a huge headache.

By why not make the heatpipes go fulle around for double effect instead ?

i pre papologize for stupid thought. is im pretty tired with a huge headache.

By why not make the heatpipes go fulle around for double effect instead ?
My thoughts are tuat the current design strike the perfect balance of price, performance, and ease of fan insrallation. With that being said, if the heatpipes loop it will inevitably take away from the utility. It might have more issues with fitment of the ram, motherboard mofset heatsinks, and most importantly the fan selection.

Even though I'll still have to wait for my v2 case anyway, the waiting time is killing me!
it's like those streetlights. It's much easier to wait if you can watch one of those timers counting down somehow..

Back