DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

From people's posts and the Google Doc, seems that the most cost effective cooling solution is just the NH-L9i/a with custom fan duct.

I'm using the LP53 with nf-9x14 and a rubber seal between it and the case vent. This is the best configuration I have found. I always use a shroud, duct or a seal between my fan and case. Drops temps immensely and creates positive pressure to force out warm exhaust.

I'm using the LP53 with nf-9x14 and a rubber seal between it and the case vent. This is the best configuration I have found. I always use a shroud, duct or a seal between my fan and case. Drops temps immensely and creates positive pressure to force out warm exhaust.

What are you using for the rubber seal/duct? I'm interested in this as well.

What are you using for the rubber seal/duct? I'm interested in this as well.

1/4in x 7/16in adhesive backed foam rubber weatherstripping.

I adhere it to the case lid on my Sentry case so that when the lid is closed the weatherstripping goes around the perimeter of the fan, not making contact with the actual face of the fan for fear it may interfere with the fan blades. I can try to include pictures or diagram later.

Bad news – from hero to zero :(

Today I made some tests of the HSLP-48 against the Thermalright AXP 100H and Dynatron T318 all with TY-100 fan. I did all tests on an open bench table and not inside the A4-SFX. In my last post I wrote the HSLP-48 is ~15°C better as the T318, but I made this statement based on the values I had in my memory of the T318 mount inside the case. It looks like these values aren’t comparable with the values on an open bench test. On an open bench table the difference is only 2°C (63,8°C vs. 66°C). Wow this is a real setback. I think it could be different inside the case, because the T318 recycle a lot of air.

Also it looks like the AXP-100 and AXP-100H both with the TY-100 fan on top performing 4-5°C better than the HSLP-48. Maybe it was a wrong decision to select 4 heatpipes instead of 6. Keep in mind the AXP-100 has a height of 58mm and the AXP-100H of 65mm and will not fit inside the A4-SFX or Sentry.

On weekend I will get a rent setup (i7 7700k and MSI H110I PRO) from Caseking. Before I order more parts I will start with a test HSLP-48 vs. C7 to see if it is worth to continue. I will also do some tests mounting the parts inside the case to see if the heatsink will perform better, because it recycle less air.

But it looks like I have to go back to the drawing board and create a version with 6 heatpipes. I think the problem is not the surface because it is big enough but maybe the 4 heatpipes are too slow in transfer heat.

Maybe the CoolJag samples are better, but I don’t believe in this.

I don't really care. As long as the HSLP-48 is 10-15°C cooler then C7 or NH-L9i inside the case (DAN A4-SFX) I will buy it. After all this is the goal, in perfect condition (test bench) many coolers perform good but in "real world" few manage to stay at the top.
Looking forward to more tests and the 6 heatpipes sample.

Ej24 could you write some details about this rubber seal on your cooler? I would also go first with lp53 with noctua fan in my sentry and your solution sounds interesting. I hope that dans cooler will be even better.

But it looks like I have to go back to the drawing board and create a version with 6 heatpipes. I think the problem is not the surface because it is big enough but maybe the 4 heatpipes are too slow in transfer heat.
I wonder, how much absence of direct contact to heat pipes contributes to this? You have a copper contact plate, right? But that means the heatpipes don't have perfect contact with it, so there must be lot's of air gaps and air is really bad heat conductor. So there should be thermal paste between heatpipes and contact plate. If you can remove the contact plate to see, what's there and add thermal paste if needed - that can improve heat conductivity.

I wonder, how much absence of direct contact to heat pipes contributes to this? You have a copper contact plate, right? But that means the heatpipes don't have perfect contact with it, so there must be lot's of air gaps and air is really bad heat conductor. So there should be thermal paste between heatpipes and contact plate. If you can remove the contact plate to see, what's there and add thermal paste if needed - that can improve heat conductivity.

AFAIK the heatpipes are usually soldered to the contact plate. I'd be surprised if this is not the case.

1/4in x 7/16in adhesive backed foam rubber weatherstripping.

I adhere it to the case lid on my Sentry case so that when the lid is closed the weatherstripping goes around the perimeter of the fan, not making contact with the actual face of the fan for fear it may interfere with the fan blades. I can try to include pictures or diagram later.

Weatherstripping? As in something that can be found in Home Depot?

I would love any pictures you could give us. :)

Reactions: Jspr
like this
About copper coating, as far is I can tell anodizing copper isn't a thing. If it would be applied it would only make the copper dull and eventually green. The only thing I've found when researching the topic is a cooler from Xigmatex, called the Dark Knight II. It has a ceramic coating in either black or white: I'm not saying that this is something that should be pursued here, just throwing it out there.

P.S. can't wait for some "in-case" temperatures

Here are some ideas for prototype 2:

Heatsink: Downsize width from 130mm to 120mm
Heatsink: Maybe increasing the fin spacing +0,2mm and reducing the fin count from 60 to 54

Heatpipe: Increasing bend radius from 10mm to 15-18mm
Heatpipe: One sample with 4 heatpipes and one with 5-6 heatpipes

CPU-Plate: For both samples moving the heatpipes closer together.

Clip: Optimise clip mounting I will focus on fans with a thickness of 12mm and 15mm.

Heatsink: Maybe increasing the fin spacing +0,2mm and reducing the fin count from 60 to 54

Just out of curiosity, why would you reduce these? Is the idea that the extra width is wasted, and that the fin spacing is too tight to allow proper airflow?

Last edited:
Reactions: ceski
like this

Clip: Optimise clip mounting I will focus on fans with a thickness of 12mm and 15mm.

Will any of these changes make it compatible with the Strix z720i?

I'm also curious about the fin spacing change. Is that referenced from another heatsink or did you run simulations?

With reducing the width can you fit a 120 mm fan under ??

New versions 6 heatpipes vs 5 and 4 heatpipe version.

Then new design on size and fines Vs Old version ? Or why change that ?

Better to do more versions and compare them instead of wait for manufacturing and delivery time

Last edited:

my 2ct, don't take them too seriously, i'm not a heat-exchanger engineer.

Do you have access to an infrared camera, I propose you take a look at the heatsink with and without a fan while booting a computer. You would want the most homogeneous temperature across the fins. If some areas heat up slower, than this would allow you to reposition heat pipes etc. Perhaps you can detect variance in heat pipe temperatures etc.

why? would this allow more motherboards?

why? I would say that more fins would be more effective.

I would suspect that the bending radius would be a more binary thing, i.e. the pipes would stop working at a certain angle, not so much that the efficiency would go down. Maybe the heat pipe supplier would have data on that.

Sure, interesting.

The temperature variation inside the base-plate will be minimal. I suspect the difference between the maximum and minimum temperature over the entire base to be less than 0.5º (again, IR camera). Ergo, the positioning of the pipes within the baseplate don't matter so much. If it would be direct contact, than the positioning would be critical.

Yes, definitely. I love your clip design, and putting more options for users is simple and a great thing to do.

P.S. pending on "in-case" data, the current coolers can still be a great improvement over more standard coolers like the C7 and the L9i. Don't over-optimize.

P.P.S. if you change more than one thing at a time, it will be difficult to deduce what improved the cooler.

Last edited:
Maybe increasing the fin spacing +0,2mm and reducing the fin count from 60 to 54

Because the air flow is too restricted? Otherwise it sounds like it should perform worse, especially because of the lower total heat dissipation area. I'd wager it would be a better idea to use a fan with higher static pressure instead, such as the new Noctua 120mm with its more or less obvious Gentle Typhoon similarity.

The things I've been thinking:

• Why wouldn't you have direct contact heat pipes? It doesn't matter if they are soldered, if material gets between them, it will not perform better. You want the heat pipe's "Vapor" to get closer to te cpu.
  • You could make a vapor chamber with heatpipes (both working together), that have vapor circulating through all of them. (I don't think this can be manufactured at high volume).
  • You could try to make the heat pipes as close as they can be, like the Cooler Master 212 EVO base.
  • You could try a cooler with 6 and another one with 8 heat pipes, on various widths.
  • You could make a C7 like cooler, with more heatpipes, but closer to the CPU. Remember, the thing you want is to make the heat to disperse away from the CPU IHS
  • Making it smaller will not help with heat disipation, unless you make bigger contact surface in ANY other way.
  • The heat pipes can be OVAL-SHAPED, so you can fit a lot more putting them perpendicular to the CPU base.
  • Remember we all accept that this will NOT be a cheap model, we want performance.

my 2ct, don't take them too seriously, i'm not a heat-exchanger engineer.

Do you have access to an infrared camera, I propose you take a look at the heatsink with and without a fan while booting a computer. You would want the most homogeneous temperature across the fins. If some areas heat up slower, than this would allow you to reposition heat pipes etc. Perhaps you can detect variance in heat pipe temperatures etc.

why? would this allow more motherboards?

why? I would say that more fins would be more effective.

I would suspect that the bending radius would be a more binary thing, i.e. the pipes would stop working at a certain angle, not so much that the efficiency would go down. Maybe the heat pipe supplier would have data on that.

Sure, interesting.

The temperature variation inside the base-plate will be minimal. I suspect the difference between the maximum and minimum temperature over the entire base to be less than 0.5º (again, IR camera). Ergo, the positioning of the pipes within the baseplate don't matter so much. If it would be direct contact, than the positioning would be critical.

Yes, definitely. I love your clip design, and putting more options for users is simple and a great thing to do.

P.S. pending on "in-case" data, the current coolers can still be a great improvement over more standard coolers like the C7 and the L9i. Don't over-optimize.

P.P.S. if you change more than one thing at a time, it will be difficult to deduce what improved the cooler.

I agree with all of this. Also I'd like to inquire as to whether the entire contact plate that sandwiches the heatpipes is all copper. In one photo it looked like it may be aluminum? It's critical that the point of contact and conducting to the heatpipes is as efficient as possible. Copper facilitates this.

And about increasing the number of heat pipes, I feel like more than 4 may lead to diminishing returns as the outer pipes likely won't make contact near the actual cpu die under the ihs. Also more heatpipes means less fin surface area. Would it be worth investigating other types of heatpipes, grooved vs sintered? Idk which is the best but I know they have different characteristics.

The things I've been thinking:

• Why wouldn't you have direct contact heat pipes? It doesn't matter if they are soldered, if material gets between them, it will not perform better. You want the heat pipe's "Vapor" to get closer to te cpu.
  • You could make a vapor chamber with heatpipes (both working together), that have vapor circulating through all of them. (I don't think this can be manufactured at high volume).
  • You could try to make the heat pipes as close as they can be, like the Cooler Master 212 EVO base.
  • You could try a cooler with 6 and another one with 8 heat pipes, on various widths.
  • You could make a C7 like cooler, with more heatpipes, but closer to the CPU. Remember, the thing you want is to make the heat to disperse away from the CPU IHS
  • Making it smaller will not help with heat disipation, unless you make bigger contact surface in ANY other way.
  • The heat pipes can be OVAL-SHAPED, so you can fit a lot more putting them perpendicular to the CPU base.
  • Remember we all accept that this will NOT be a cheap model, we want performance.

I can't remember where I read it but I vaguely remember reading that direct contact heatpipes aren't actually better than using a block to conduct the heat to the pipes. Only the heatpipes directly over the die conduct the most heat. The outer pipes conduct almost no heat. Especially for Intel with a small die and TIM under the ihs versus amd with a larger area of solder under the ihs.

I think Buildzoid has covered this in a few videos too, demonstrating that direct touch heat pipes are not as effective overall as ones embedded in a copper block.

For example, here the outer pipes are utterly useless.
HS.JPG

http://cxzoid.blogspot.com/2017/02/asus-rx-480-strix-oc-review.html?m=1

Also I worry with direct contact that you'll be at the mercy of the manufacturer being able to make a smooth contact surface and level, parallel pipes. Whereas with a block it can provide a smooth surface even if the pipes aren't perfectly flat.

Last edited:
What cpu and speeds are you running at? Temperatures while gaming?

What cpu and speeds are you running at? Temperatures while gaming?

Stock speeds for i7 4790k, so 4-4.4ghz. Usually temps stay below 75C. Occasionally it peaks up to 78 or 79C but usually not. And thats in my Dr. Ząber Sentry case.

dan discussed "direct contact heatpipes" earlier. they do work worse because the outer heatpipes get less hot. it is more valuable to spread the heat over all the heatpipes, rather than having most in 1. think of this: it is slightly more efficient to have the heatpipe directly contact, but HUGELY more efficient to have an entire EXTRA heatpipe (or several)

Hey dondan,
please make at least one test of the HSLP-48 with and without the I/O-shield. I feel like it will have a huge inpact on the performence expecially at low RPM.

Out of curiosity, why would the HSLP-48 perform only slightly better on an open bench compared to the T318, but considerably better inside the A4-SFX. You mentioned that the T318 recycled a lot of air inside the A4-SFX. Is this because of how the fins are oriented? Are heatpipes strictly better than vapor chamber at this size?

Can't someone just figure out the optimal fin number to fin spacing ratio for the particular fan that's being used using a computer model or something? And also number of heatpipes vs. fin area. There's gotta be a sweet spot. Is that super complicated supercomputer math or...? I am clearly a noob.

Why not testing 8mm heatpipes? Is it more expensive or is another reason (not popular usage for example)? One sample with 4x 8mm and one with 5-6x 6mm?

The answer is acceptable bend radius. From my research and talking to my manufacturer's engineers, it seems like you can have a minimal acceptable bend radius (OD) of 5x with a nominal bend radius of 6x. With a 6mm pipe you're talking about 30-36mm with those numbers jumping to 40mm/48mm with an 8mm pipe.

Can't someone just figure out the optimal fin number to fin spacing ratio for the particular fan that's being used using a computer model or something? And also number of heatpipes vs. fin area. There's gotta be a sweet spot.

"someone" is an engineer paid to do that for a living using expensive software at work ;) my guess is dan is a regular person and he's doing this by trial and error because it's cheaper to buy some heatsink samples and test them than it is to buy thermodynamic simulation software and build a heatsink in it and test it

"someone" is an engineer paid to do that for a living using expensive software at work ;) my guess is dan is a regular person and he's doing this by trial and error because it's cheaper to buy some heatsink samples and test them than it is to buy thermodynamic simulation software and build a heatsink in it and test it

Yes i also think he goes after recomomendations from the manufacture but i dont think he payed them for development of a cooler and testing.

He do the most job himself

Last edited:

Exactly, what is needed here is some proper CFD/thermal/multidomain simulation

For me It's the most obvious high performance and silent cooling solution for the A4-SFX, since water can transport heat 20 times faster than air and the pump ensures the circulation.

Yes water has a higher conductivity than air, but you cannot compare water to air here. You have to compare the efficiency of the water cooling loop to that of a heat pipe system. In a water cooling solution you are still cooling your radiator with air, right? And your radiator is about the same size and same location as the fin-stack designed by dondan, right?

The real advantage of a water cooling loop is when you can use a large radiator at a location that is much more suited for air flow. In other words, for long distance pipes, and large surface area radiators. Your proposal (and the cooler master one) do not utilize these benefits.

In general, in an SSF build like this, water cooling doesn't make sense, unless it is completely integrated with in the case and you make the side panels out of radiators, like the Corsair One but that is still much larger (12L) than an A4-SFX.

Last edited:
I merged all your question so I don’t have to answer every one directly:

## Why do you reduce fin spacing and therefore fin count?
I think it will not make a different having a higher count because the AXP-100 have a spacing of 2mm and less than 50 fins and less surface as the HSLP-48 but performs better. Furthermore it will lose not so much performance on lower fan speed because the fan is unable to get enough air through the fins.

## Will any of these changes make it compatible with the Strix z720i?
Yes ;)

## Why do you change the heatpipe bending radius?
As I know there are recommendet values for bending 6mm heatpipes. It is 15-18mm and I am with 10mm under these values with the current design.

## If you change more than one thing at a time, it will be difficult to deduce what improved the cooler.
For the project I have a R&D capital of 2000-3000€. With Prototype one I spend already 1000€ so we don’t have enough money to get so many prototypes with only one change.

## Why wouldn't you have direct contact heat pipes?
I already discuss this topic in the HSLP-48 thread.

## Why not testing 8mm heatpipes?
The ground plate has a height of 10mm. We need so save any mm to come not too close to the fan. A 8mm heatpipe needs a height of 12mm. Furthermore it needs a bending radius of 24mm and we have no space for such a radius.

## please make at least one test of the HSLP-48 with and without the I/O-shield
Yes it will reduce temperatures but also it will reduce temperatures for the competitors.Furthermore the case was designed to be used with I/O-Shield so this will be a usecase for only some users . My tests needs to be as simple as possible to make it accessible for all customers.

## Out of curiosity, why would the HSLP-48 perform only slightly better on an open bench compared to the T318, but considerably better inside the A4-SFX.
Outside the case the difference between HSLP-48 Copper and T318 is 1°C inside the case the difference is 5°C. So my design will work inside the case better in proportion. I think I am on a good way with my design but I have to improve it get at min. the same performance as the AXP-100.

## Why not change this, add vapor here, upgrade tp water there change everything?
If you have an idea, please focus on the current design and technology other vendors do in this price class. Yes in theory I can use the most modern space technology and make a crazy good heatsink that will costs 400€ for one piece, but maybe only 1% of my customers will be ready to pay so much money for the last 2°C. So please let us focus on that what we have.

@ALL:
I made the decision to make both samples of prototype 2 with 6 heatpipes but one sample with soldered attached heatpipes to the fins (current design) and one sample with closing fits (Highe-End heatsinks from Noctua and Thermalright use this)

I merged all your question so I don’t have to answer every one directly:

## Why do you reduce fin spacing and therefore fin count?
I think it will not make a different having a higher count because the AXP-100 have a spacing of 2mm and less than 50 fins and less surface as the HSLP-48 but performs better. Furthermore it will lose not so much performance on lower fan speed because the fan is unable to get enough air through the fins.

## Will any of these changes make it compatible with the Strix z720i?
Yes ;)

## Why do you change the heatpipe bending radius?
As I know there are recommendet values for bending 6mm heatpipes. It is 15-18mm and I am with 10mm under these values with the current design.

## If you change more than one thing at a time, it will be difficult to deduce what improved the cooler.
For the project I have a R&D capital of 2000-3000€. With Prototype one I spend already 1000€ so we don’t have enough money to get so many prototypes with only one change.

## Why wouldn't you have direct contact heat pipes?
I already discuss this topic in the HSLP-48 thread.

## Why not testing 8mm heatpipes?
The ground plate has a height of 10mm. We need so save any mm to come not too close to the fan. A 8mm heatpipe needs a height of 12mm. Furthermore it needs a bending radius of 24mm and we have no space for such a radius.

## please make at least one test of the HSLP-48 with and without the I/O-shield
Yes it will reduce temperatures but also it will reduce temperatures for the competitors.Furthermore the case was designed to be used with I/O-Shield so this will be a usecase for only some users . My tests needs to be as simple as possible to make it accessible for all customers.

## Out of curiosity, why would the HSLP-48 perform only slightly better on an open bench compared to the T318, but considerably better inside the A4-SFX.
Outside the case the difference between HSLP-48 Copper and T318 is 1°C inside the case the difference is 5°C. So my design will work inside the case better in proportion. I think I am on a good way with my design but I have to improve it get at min. the same performance as the AXP-100.

## Why not change this, add vapor here, upgrade tp water there change everything?
If you have an idea, please focus on the current design and technology other vendors do in this price class. Yes in theory I can use the most modern space technology and make a crazy good heatsink that will costs 400€ for one piece, but maybe only 1% of my customers will be ready to pay so much money for the last 2°C. So please let us focus on that what we have.

@ALL:
I made the decision to make both samples of prototype 2 with 6 heatpipes but one sample with soldered attached heatpipes to the fins (current design) and one sample with closing fits (Highe-End heatsinks from Noctua and Thermalright use this)

Thx dondan, it is replies like these that give me the impression that you are on top of things! Good work, keep it going.

Today I testes the HSLP-48 Copper with a 7700k. (Before you ask I will not delid it)
I can't believe that Intel will use TIM also on the new 2066 Socket. Soldering a DIE result in so much better temps.
My 5820K with 6 cores and a TDP of 140W stays cooler as an 7700k with 4 core and a TDP of 91W.

7700K Turbo-Off (4,2Ghz) - Bench Table
Prime95 v26.6 8K Test – 15min each

Heatsink------------Fan---------------Position-----Mode----------RPM--------Room Temp--------Core Temp
HSLP-48 Copper.....A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........1800..............25........................83°C
Cryorig C7..............A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........2400..............25........................90°C

7700K Turbo-On (4,4Ghz) - Bench Table

Prime95 v26.6 8K Test – 15min each

Heatsink------------Fan---------------Position-----Mode----------RPM--------Room Temp--------Core Temp
HSLP-48 Copper.....A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........1800..............25........................92°C
Cryorig C7..............A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........2400..............25........................100+°C (throttle)

If you touch the HSLP-48 under heavy load its is very cool also the heatpipes arn't hot, this is very strange. I am not sure if this is normal.

Tomorrow I will test the AXP-100 on the 7700k. If its perform linea we should see 5°C better temps on it. So if my prototype 2 is
2-3 better as the AXP-100 we reach the temp goal that I am aiming for. ~15°C better as the C7.

Last edited:

If you touch the HSLP-48 under heavy load its is very cool also the heatpipes arn't hot, this is very strange. I am not sure if this is normal.

This can't be normal, unless you have not tested it for a long time. If you run the test for more than 40min. The heatpipes should be hot at 92C.

That's odd that it's cool to the touch, when I touch my Dynatron R15 in my old case when I had easier access it was hot to the touch (the fins) under prime95. Granted this is a completely different cooler.

i7-2600 95W CPU w/ the C7 fan on top

Can you take a photo with the cooler installed inside the case? I assume you have tested this with case in normal orientation.

I wonder if the orientation of the heatpipes has anything to do with this.

Back