DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

That's really only a difference of running at like 100rpm less on the copper version. I'm not saying that I wouldn't buy a copper version. I'm buying this regardless of copper vs aluminum. I'm just surprised to find that the temperature difference isn't a consistent value.
It's more like 400 RPM at the higher end which can be like 7 dBA (when I measured the sound of an A9x14), but I agree.

i'd find it odd if it was a constant value. The metals only conduct the heat, you still need the heat to be dissipated i to the air which is done by the fans. Maybe someone with material/science background related to the topic can provide some formulas to clarify it better.
Haha, yeah, I'm definitely not an expert on thermodynamics and didn't put too much thought into it. That definitely makes more sense now that I take a moment to think about it.

For me a giant copper heatsink would stand out like Noctuas brown/beige fans, i.e. not blend in well with the theme. I am surprised not more people want a black heatsink. But on the other hand, I've learned that my sought attention to aestehtics and details is only matched by Apple. Even the insides of their laptops is pure art.
Apple attention to details? More like making every product look alike. There is no innovation in design. There are no new, more refined aesthetics.Their goal is to make their designs as close to each other as possible. I pay attention to detail. Having it look like copper is a unique detail that you rarely get on a case. It stands out. Black is dull, plain and expected. It doesn't add anything to the case. If the outside shell of the case is all black then the inside needs to stand out by having contrasting colors, attention grabbing materials such as copper sitting on top of a black motherboard. Even noctua's fan have beauty when placed with the proper contrasting colored parts.

Apple attention to details? More like making every product look alike. There is no innovation in design. There are no new, more refined aesthetics.Their goal is to make their designs as close to each other as possible. I pay attention to detail. Having it look like copper is a unique detail that you rarely get on a case. It stands out. Black is dull, plain and expected. It doesn't add anything to the case. If the outside shell of the case is all black then the inside needs to stand out by having contrasting colors, attention grabbing materials such as copper sitting on top of a black motherboard. Even noctua's fan have beauty when placed with the proper contrasting colored parts.

We can agree to disagree, and you'll most likely get your copper heatsink from dondan anyway.

For me a giant copper heatsink would stand out like Noctuas brown/beige fans, i.e. not blend in well with the theme. I am surprised not more people want a black heatsink.

Yes, black would look a lot better than copper (and the Noctua colors literally look like shit). But then again, I don't care for windows in a case so it doesn't really matter to me. :p

I remember when copper heatsinks would be flaunted as a badge of incredible temps. Back when Gigabyte, Asus, Biostar, etc had crazy color schemes. Now it's all about that black on black on RGB.

Let me be old, let me be proud, and let my temps be ever low. COPPER VERSION I NEED YOU!!!

For me a giant copper heatsink would stand out like Noctuas brown/beige fans, i.e. not blend in well with the theme. I am surprised not more people want a black heatsink. But on the other hand, I've learned that my sought attention to aestehtics and details is only matched by Apple. Even the insides of their laptops is pure art.

My Dr. Ząber Sentry case has no windows. I have no concerns for internal aesthetics. All I care is that it is functioning fast, cool and quiet.

It's not like other people don't care about the aesthetic aspect of this, I know I do, it's more like it shouldn't come at the expense or detriment of performance. If it was only a question of the cost of nickel platting it maybe enough people would be willing to pay for it, but maybe it has an effect on cooling performance.

Plus, many cases don't have windows so the individual colour of each component is irrelevant.

I am curious if this will fit the new asrock x299 itx motherboard.

I liked the black and copper renders that were done and even if it doesn't look like that I'll still get one

Perhaps Dan will consider a survey on finishes including a nickel/black-nickel version. Ultimately it is an aesthetic choice and there will be a variety of opinions on what looks good. None are right, none are wrong.

Perhaps Dan will consider a survey on finishes including a nickel/black-nickel version. Ultimately it is an aesthetic choice and there will be a variety of opinions on what looks good. None are right, none are wrong.

I agree, none are right or wrong but copper is badass. :cool: Plain and simple.

The problem with coating copper fins is that most OEMs may not have the capabilities to do this. I spoke to Thermolab at one point about a plated version of the LP53 and they told me they had once attempted it but had spoiled about half of their heatsinks.

I really wished it would withstand mild OC heat generation. (4.0~4.4ghz)
Would have to wait for all the result.

Looking forward to a double fan setting

Thanks again for all the testing

I really wished it would withstand mild OC heat generation. (4.0~4.4ghz)
Would have to wait for all the result.

Looking forward to a double fan setting

Thanks again for all the testing

Remember he is using 5820k - a 6-core 140W processor.

Hi guys, I'm new here and quite excited about dans cooler. Can't wait for results of his tests.
I know it will be not compatible with Asus strix z270i. Do you know if it would be compatible with GIGABYTE GA-Z270N-Gaming 5? This mainboard also have some kind of heatsink over the I/O area

Remember he is using 5820k - a 6-core 140W processor.
Ah right I see, That's double the TDP I have on my 3570k. But I do see myself upgrading in a couple of years, so as much heat dissipation as possible would be nice to have ;)
Thanks for reminding

Hi guys, I'm new here and quite excited about dans cooler. Can't wait for results of his tests.
I know it will be not compatible with Asus strix z270i. Do you know if it would be compatible with GIGABYTE GA-Z270N-Gaming 5? This mainboard also have some kind of heatsink over the I/O area
By looking at this photo:
IMG_2240.JPG
The MOSFETS heat sink seems similar to Asrock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac and you may need to check here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/dan-h...50mm-heatsink.1925480/page-17#post-1043039787

And it is an easy mod

I would like a nickel plated version too if possible, like how Noctua does it.

Is there any treatment at all on the copper? Does it start to go dull/darken with time? I assume it will never go green, that would require enough moisture to damage the rest of the computer o_O just curious.

Even noctua's fan have beauty when placed with the proper contrasting colored parts.

I can buy the idea that the copper on black contrast could look good if done right, but the idea that Noctua's coffee and cream fans are ever aesthetically pleasing is a pretty big stretch. Would love to see an example of this, because I certainly haven't yet.

I can buy the idea that the copper on black contrast could look good if done right, but the idea that Noctua's coffee and cream fans are ever aesthetically pleasing is a pretty big stretch. Would love to see an example of this, because I certainly haven't yet.

Noctua makes black fans and grey fans. They are higher performance than the typical brown fans. Just use the included resistor (low noise adapter) to slow it down so it's quieter.

Bad news – from hero to zero :(

Today I made some tests of the HSLP-48 against the Thermalright AXP 100H and Dynatron T318 all with TY-100 fan. I did all tests on an open bench table and not inside the A4-SFX. In my last post I wrote the HSLP-48 is ~15°C better as the T318, but I made this statement based on the values I had in my memory of the T318 mount inside the case. It looks like these values aren’t comparable with the values on an open bench test. On an open bench table the difference is only 2°C (63,8°C vs. 66°C). Wow this is a real setback. I think it could be different inside the case, because the T318 recycle a lot of air.

Also it looks like the AXP-100 and AXP-100H both with the TY-100 fan on top performing 4-5°C better than the HSLP-48. Maybe it was a wrong decision to select 4 heatpipes instead of 6. Keep in mind the AXP-100 has a height of 58mm and the AXP-100H of 65mm and will not fit inside the A4-SFX or Sentry.

On weekend I will get a rent setup (i7 7700k and MSI H110I PRO) from Caseking. Before I order more parts I will start with a test HSLP-48 vs. C7 to see if it is worth to continue. I will also do some tests mounting the parts inside the case to see if the heatsink will perform better, because it recycle less air.

But it looks like I have to go back to the drawing board and create a version with 6 heatpipes. I think the problem is not the surface because it is big enough but maybe the 4 heatpipes are too slow in transfer heat.

Maybe the CoolJag samples are better, but I don’t believe in this.

Bad news – from hero to zero :(

Today I made some tests of the HSLP-48 against the Thermalright AXP 100H and Dynatron T318 all with TY-100 fan. I did all tests on an open bench table and not inside the A4-SFX. In my last post I wrote the HSLP-48 is ~15°C better as the T318, but I made this statement based on the values I had in my memory of the T318 mount inside the case. It looks like these values aren’t comparable with the values on an open bench test. On an open bench table the difference is only 2°C (63,8°C vs. 66°C). Wow this is a real setback. I think it could be different inside the case, because the T318 recycle a lot of air.

Also it looks like the AXP-100 and AXP-100H both with the TY-100 fan on top performing 4-5°C better than the HSLP-48. Maybe it was a wrong decision to select 4 heatpipes instead of 6. Keep in mind the AXP-100 has a height of 58mm and the AXP-100H of 65mm and will not fit inside the A4-SFX or Sentry.

On weekend I will get a rent setup (i7 7700k and MSI H110I PRO) from Caseking. Before I order more parts I will start with a test HSLP-48 vs. C7 to see if it is worth to continue. I will also do some tests mounting the parts inside the case to see if the heatsink will perform better, because it recycle less air.

But it looks like I have to go back to the drawing board and create a version with 6 heatpipes. I think the problem is not the surface because it is big enough but maybe the 4 heatpipes are too slow in transfer heat.

Maybe the CoolJag samples are better, but I don’t believe in this.

Have you tested the prototype cooler inside the case? Open test bench is meaningless in both our cases (A4-SFX/Sentry)

Also, at least from my perspective, C7 isn't good competitor for HSLP-48 and I believe you should compare it to something that does it job properly in our cases.

I think the best test would be a comparison with NH-L9i or AR05 on 7700K.

Don't worry!
That's the cost of R&D

Have you considered an AIO liquid cooler, in whick the radiator would be the total side panel of the A4 SFX?
Or the Calyos solution with a fan?

Last edited:
Have you tested the prototype cooler inside the case? Open test bench is meaningless in both our cases (A4-SFX/Sentry)

Also, at least from my perspective, C7 isn't good competitor for HSLP-48 and I believe you should compare it to something that does it job properly in our cases.

I think the best test would be a comparison with NH-L9i or AR05 on 7700K.

I support this. The reference point should be something like the NH-L9i which performs close to the C7 and is a much standard choice over other coolers. Why do we care about open bench if the cooler is aimed at a specific type of case?

1. A open bench setup show the pure performance without restrictions
2. I can switch between different heatsinks and fans faster.

SaperPL The next step is testing inside the A4.
You are right with the C7 but I have the C7 already here and before I buy more hardware I need to know if i will continue on prototype 1 or start with optimation for prototype 2.

1. A open bench setup show the pure performance without restrictions
2. I can switch between different heatsinks and fans faster.

SaperPL The next step is testing inside the A4.
You are right with the C7 but I have the C7 already here and before I buy more hardware I need to know if i will continue on prototype 1 or start with optimation for prototype 2.
Do you have a patreon or somewhere where we can make donations so we can help you do this stuff?

tbh, I am only interested in the performance INSIDE the case. the whole form factor and shape of the heatsink is designed to work in this particular SFF case (or very similar ones). comparing it to heatsinks that do not fit inside the case (or only at severe noise/modding effort) might be academically interesting if you want to expand your market but for now, I only want to know if this is as good as it gets in a sub-50mm case.

and even if it doesn't work out, it still looks f*ckin gorgeous ;)

I think that the fan duct mods that people have done have shown great results. I believe that minimising recirculation by either forcing air out of the case or only pulling cold air in is the key to getting great results in the Dan case.

A cowl for 92, 100 & 120mm fans could achieve this really well with the cooler as it is designed I think, just an extra pice of sheet metal to wrap around the bottom of the cooler.

I'm probably jumping the gun here, we really need some test done in the case, before we know how the cooler really performs. We have to give Dan some time!

I would like to see some more extended tests, maybe and hour or two long as sometimes I do renders which can last several hours.

Back