DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

Here is a small update what I plan to do with the HSLP-48 in the next weeks.

I will test the following setups all CPUs @ default clock:

• AM4 (1700x)
  • 1151 (7700k)
  • 2011-3 (5820K)
I will test the HSLP-48 against these heatsinks:

• Asetek 92mm AIO (AM4, 2011-3, 1151)
  • Cryorig C7 (AM4, 1151)
  • Noctua L9i (AM4, 1151)
  • Dynatron T318 (2011-3)
  • Thermalright AXP 100 (AM4, 2011-3, 1151)

I will test the HSLP-48 Copper and Alu version following fans:

• A9x14 (92mm)
  • TY-100 (100mm)
  • SY1212SL12H (120mm)
  • A12x15 (120mm)
I will test the following fan modes:

• under the heatsink sucking through it
  • under the heatsink blowing through it
  • on the heatsink blowing through it
  • sandwich mode
  • different fan speeds

What I can say about the Lian Li samples, the quality is great for a prototype, but they forgot to include the 2011-3/AM3 retention bracket. They forgot to add a thread on the 1151 brackets so I can't use them. Therefore I use my Thermalright retention kit that I have for all sockets. What luck the Thermalright retention kits are full compatible to the HSLP-48 XD

I have to improve the fan clips because the two ends that go inside the heatsink are very short. I have to make them longer to better secure the fan. I also plan to add more holes for the clips to better support different thickness of fans.

I think I will get the CoolJag samples tomorrow, I hope they did a better job on the retention brackets.

I am thinking of outsourcing the retention kits to Thermalright if they can offer a good price. The brackets are the most complicated part on this project and it could be a good idea also for future compatibility. I will ask Lian Li if they can get in touch with them and I don’t have to take the route over the German contact.

Preview

Here is small preview of tests on the copper version I did today. All values are not comparable to older result, because I run the CPU (i7 5820K 140W TDP) on default clock (3.4GHz) and voltage. Older tests was made with 3GHz and lower voltage. The Dynatron T318 will reach ~80°C on default clock and voltage.

Prime95 v26.6 8K Test – 15min each

Heatsink------------Fan---------------Position-----Mode----------RPM--------Room Temp--------Core Temp
HSLP-48 Copper.....A9x14...............Under......Pushing..........2600..............25........................74 °C
HSLP-48 Copper.....A9x14...............Under......Sucking..........2600..............25........................65,8°C
HSLP-48 Copper.....TY-100..............Under......Pushing..........2400..............25....................... 65°C
HSLP-48 Copper.....TY-100..............Under......Sucking..........2400..............25........................63,8°C
HSLP-48 Copper.....SY1212SL12H..Under......Sucking..........2000..............25....................... 65,2°C
HSLP-48 Copper.....A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........1800..............25........................63,5°C
HSLP-48 Copper.....A12x15..............Top..........Pushing...........900..............25........................73,5°C

Maybe you wonder why the A9x14 performs not good in pushing mode. I think the fan has a bad pressure and isn't able to push enough air through the fins in this mode. What I think is realy crazy that the heatsink is able to cool a six core i7 in Prime95 with the new A12x15 on top with only 900 RPM at 73°C. I am nure sure if any other heatsink with a height of 63mm is able to do that.

Some pictures

20170606_174223p2uak.jpg

20170606_183224wbugc.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe you should check not only the cpu temp, check the mainbaord chip Temps too. I Think they will be so much better if the cooler blow on the mainboar.

Any plans to test with the NF-A12x15 UNDER the heatsink, or do you not have VLP RAM to make said test feasible...?

Reactions: Ej24
like this
WOW, I'm impressed.

I also find it really interesting that the 92mm fan performs nearly as well as the 120mm Scythe - it seems like the surface area that's not being actively cooled by the fan would be almost useless, but that seems to not be the case?

Cant wait, was going to do a cheaper AIO in a Q10 with a 1600x ..this looks better .

Can you do a stock wraith LED ? $$ DollarWise the discounted 1700x or 1700 with the Wraith may end up close enough to start off stock vs the 1600x with premium cooling

Any interferance from taller RAM or bigger mainboard heatsinks like the higher end intel z270 mainboards like ROG Maximus?

Kenny

Great work! I know it's impractical to test every cooler out there, but maybe consider including the LP53 + A9x14 since it's informally the combination to beat right now. Looking forward to the results!

This is excellent news and preliminary results. I hope this starts a trend towards major manufacturers deciding to go full copper. It would be the easiest way to increase performance of their existing products it probably wouldn't require any changes to production at all besides swapping copper in the place of aluminum. I'd gladly pay $25 more for an all copper NH-L9i, or other mainstream heatsink. The only low profile copper cooler on the market currently that I found was the lp53 which cost about $20 more than the nh-l9i.

I think the 92mm fan in push isn't working that well because there is recirculation occuring, it is easier for some of the air to come out sideways and get sucked back into the fan rather than going all the way through the heatsink and out of the case.

I think a think thin plate the full size of the cooler with a 92mm hole in it would perform better. Just a theory though...

I think that some motherboards will fit the 120mm fan with normal height ram if you don't quite center the fan on the heatsink. It would depend on the motherboard layout but I think it should fit often enough. Could you please test this too?

They also released a 120x15mm fan at Computex which is perfect for this heatsink. Also I can't stress enough how amazing the LCP fan is. They had a single LCP fan outperforming a pair of their current fans on a tower cooler. It was amazing.

More pictures of the different configs with different angles such as ram clearance would be awesome whenever you have a chance.

They also released a 120x15mm fan at Computex which is perfect for this heatsink. Also I can't stress enough how amazing the LCP fan is. They had a single LCP fan outperforming a pair of their current fans on a tower cooler. It was amazing.

Look about 10 posts above yours to where Dondan is describing his early results.

it is not as amazing as it seems because those older noctua fans are not necessarily the best ;) the old scythe slip stream was expensive too, and it also used this harder material, and it also had a similar looking shape. it was not made by scythe though, I think they bought it from a real fan company. it is good that noctua is making high end fans though, because good luck finding a slipstream!

Their new fan looks like a beige gentle typhoon. With Noctua's typically silent motor bearing, however, we probably get a very nice fan that doesn't suffer from gentle typhoons double ball bearing noise. But we have to continue suffer the beige/brown color instead. Unless they make a redux variant of it.

Dondan, do you have a way to measure the noise? even a smartphone would do. It might not give the most accurate number but it would show the relative noise levels between setups.
For example, it would be really interesting to know if the A12x15 is quieter enough at the same temp as the TY-100 to warrant a purchase and going with VLP RAM (if mounting under the heatsink):
HSLP-48 Copper.....TY-100..............Under......Sucking..........2400..............25........................63,8°C
HSLP-48 Copper.....A12x15..............Top..........Pushing.........1800..............25........................63,5°C

Here is a small update what I plan to do with the HSLP-48 in the next weeks.

I will test the following setups all CPUs @ default clock:

• AM4 (1700x)
  • 1151 (7700k)
  • 2011-3 (5820K)
I will test the HSLP-48 against these heatsinks:

• Asetek 92mm AIO (AM4, 2011-3, 1151)
  • Cryorig C7 (AM4, 1151)
  • Noctua L9i (AM4, 1151)
  • Dynatron T318 (2011-3)
  • Thermalright AXP 100 (AM4, 2011-3, 1151)

I will test the HSLP-48 Copper and Alu version following fans:

• A9x14 (92mm)
  • TY-100 (100mm)
  • SY1212SL12H (120mm)
  • A12x15 (120mm)
I will test the following fan modes:

• under the heatsink sucking through it
  • under the heatsink blowing through it
  • on the heatsink blowing through it
  • sandwich mode
  • different fan speeds

What I can say about the Lian Li samples, the quality is great for a prototype, but they forgot to include the 2011-3/AM3 retention bracket. They forgot to add a thread on the 1151 brackets so I can't use them. Therefore I use my Thermalright retention kit that I have for all sockets. What luck the Thermalright retention kits are full compatible to the HSLP-48 XD

I have to improve the fan clips because the two ends that go inside the heatsink are very short. I have to make them longer to better secure the fan. I also plan to add more holes for the clips to better support different thickness of fans.

I think I will get the CoolJag samples tomorrow, I hope they did a better job on the retention brackets.

I am thinking of outsourcing the retention kits to Thermalright if they can offer a good price. The brackets are the most complicated part on this project and it could be a good idea also for future compatibility. I will ask Lian Li if they can get in touch with them and I don’t have to take the route over the German contact.

Preview

Here is small preview of tests on the copper version I did today. All values are not comparable to older result, because I run the CPU (i7 5820K 140W TDP) on default clock (3.4GHz) and voltage. Older tests was made with 3GHz and lower voltage. The Dynatron T318 will reach ~80°C on default clock and voltage.

Prime95 v26.6 8K Test – 15min each

Heatsink------------Fan---------------Position-----Mode----------RPM--------Room Temp--------Core Temp
HSLP-48 Copper.....A9x14...............Under......Pushing..........2600..............25........................74 °C
HSLP-48 Copper.....A9x14...............Under......Sucking..........2600..............25........................65,8°C
HSLP-48 Copper.....TY-100..............Under......Pushing..........2400..............25....................... 65°C
HSLP-48 Copper.....SY1212SL12H..Under......Sucking..........2000..............25....................... 65,2°C
HSLP-48 Copper.....A12x15..............Top..........Pushing...........900..............25........................73,5°C

Maybe you wonder why the A9x14 performs not good in pushing mode. I think the fan has a bad pressure and isn't able to push enough air through the fins in this mode. What I think is realy crazy that the heatsink is able to cool a six core i7 in Prime95 with the new A12x15 on top with only 900 RPM at 73°C. I am nure sure if any other heatsink with a height of 63mm is able to do that.

Some pictures

20170606_174223p2uak.jpg

20170606_183224wbugc.jpg

Awesome, the plan you propose looks perfect to me, perhaps already a lot of work (thank you for the effort). The thing I can think of that is missing (but perhaps not required) are tests using different orientations of the cooler, i.e. with the pipes north-south, east-west, south-north and west-east. I don't even know if it can be mounted in different orientations.

Also, I was wondering about surface corrosion effects on copper. The old Cu coolers I've found in my box of old stuff look quite dull. I'm wondering to how much this affects cooling capacity. Do people with full copper coolers notice a degradation of performance over time (years)? Perhaps somebody has experience with cleaning of the corrosion layer?

can we please use push/pull instead of pushing/sucking. it just sounds wrong :)
I was thinking the same. Also the words Push and Pull can be interpreted in two ways, since one side of the fan is always pushing and the other always pulling. They only have meaning once mentioned with what is mounted on the push or pull side. In the current definition I think dodan's "Push" was referring to pushing air through the fins? or pushing air out of the case?

Last edited:
Isn't there some sort of finish / treatment that turns the copper a kind of black with a coppery sheeny undertone, but also provides a protective coating...?

A
I was thinking the same. Also the words Push and Pull can be interpreted in two ways, since one side of the fan is always pushing and the other always pulling. They only have meaning once mentioned with what is mounted on the push or pull side. In the current definition I think dodan's "Push" was referring to pushing air through the fins? or pushing air out of the case?
I don't think that there is room for interpretation there. You are either pushing air through fin stack or pulling air through it.

I'm so curious about the deltas between the Cu and the Al versions. My bet is they will have equal performance, but the Cu versions look a hell of a lot better.

Shall be have a poll, to see what the majority thinks, funny to compare current beliefs with real benchmarks.

http://www.strawpoll.me/13059763

For those who haven't voted yet, do it quick, before dondan spoils us with real measurement data!

Isn't there some sort of finish / treatment that turns the copper a kind of black with a coppery sheeny undertone, but also provides a protective coating...?

You can electroplate copper to give it a slightly blackened and "dirty" sort of finish that looks quite good and might be what you're thinking of. Alternatively you can nickel plate it, but that wouldn't show any of the coppery sheen underneath.

A black cooler would surely blend much better in the case than copper color. Unless there is an obvious drawback with cost or reduced cooling ability, I had hoped it could be black if it gets crowd funded.

Likewise, if silver color, I had hoped the entire cooler could be nickel plated, and not leave copper pipe visible.

Last edited:
A black cooler would surely blend much better in the case than copper color. Unless there is an obvious drawback with cost or reduced cooling ability, I had hoped it could be black if it gets crowd funded.

Likewise, if silver color, I had hoped the entire cooler could be nickel plated, and not leave copper pipe visible.

Several of us strongly disagree with you, I imagine. If it's even in consideration to plate or treat it, I surely do hope that it's only an option.

No way. Copper stands out like it should. It looks amazing. I would have an all copper case if it wasn't for how expensive and heavy it would be.

It's look like the difference between HSLP-48 copper and alu is 4°C. This is in the same range of a review I saw years ago between a Thermalright Tower Copper vs Alu.

Looks like the majority in the poll was right (and I was wrong). Status so far:

between 2C and 5C cooler: 17 votes 44%
more than 5C cooler: 13 votes 33%
between 2C cooler and 2C warmer: 7 votes 18%
(total 39 votes, one each in the other two categories)

Here is a small preview of my tests today with the HSLP-48. (Copper vs. Alu)

The benefits of copper vs. alu will be smaller on lower RPMs.

i7 5820K default clock (3,4Ghz) and volatage, Room temp 25

HSLP-48 Copper...|...TY-100...|...Pull...|...2400RPM...|...63,8°C
HSLP-48 Alu.........|...TY-100...|...Pull...|...2400RPM...|...67,2°C
HSLP-48 Copper...|...TY-100...|...Pull...|...2000RPM...|...66,5°C
HSLP-48 Alu.........|...TY-100...|...Pull...|...2000RPM...|...69,3°C
HSLP-48 Copper...|...TY-100...|...Pull...|...1600RPM...|...70,2°C
HSLP-48 Alu.........|...TY-100...|...Pull...|...1600RPM...|...72,8°C
HSLP-48 Copper...|...TY-100...|...Pull...|...1400RPM...|...75°C
HSLP-48 Alu.........|...TY-100...|...Pull...|...1400RPM...|...77°C
HSLP-48 Copper...|...TY-100...|...Pull...|...1200RPM...|...80,5°C
HSLP-48 Alu.........|...TY-100...|...Pull...|...1200RPM...|...82,3°C

In the middle of all values the difference is 2,52°C (max 3,4°C, low 1,8°C)

Interesting. I thought the difference between alu vs cu would have been consistent and not dependent on the fan speed. I might not be so confident on the desire for copper after all. Thanks for the preview.

Reactions: Shaav
like this
Interesting. I thought the difference between alu vs cu would have been consistent and not dependent on the fan speed. I might not be so confident on the desire for copper after all. Thanks for the preview.
I still want copper. If I am going to invest into a kick starter campaign project of a product I will probably not receive until next year. I want to make-sure that the product is as good as it can get and the probability of a major manufacturer making a similar product is very low. I think the probability of a major manufacturer making the copper version before the HSLP-48 gets delivered is way lower than the aluminum version.

Several of us strongly disagree with you, I imagine. If it's even in consideration to plate or treat it, I surely do hope that it's only an option.

No way. Copper stands out like it should. It looks amazing. I would have an all copper case if it wasn't for how expensive and heavy it would be.

For me a giant copper heatsink would stand out like Noctuas brown/beige fans, i.e. not blend in well with the theme. I am surprised not more people want a black heatsink. But on the other hand, I've learned that my sought attention to aestehtics and details is only matched by Apple. Even the insides of their laptops is pure art.

Another way to look at it is that you can run a less aggressive fan curve on the copper heatsink for the same temperature as aluminum. Less noise!

I just want to have the heatsink in copper because it's pretty. Im a bit tired of aluminum look.

Another way to look at it is that you can run a less aggressive fan curve on the copper heatsink for the same temperature as aluminum. Less noise!
That's really only a difference of running at like 100rpm less on the copper version. I'm not saying that I wouldn't buy a copper version. I'm buying this regardless of copper vs aluminum. I'm just surprised to find that the temperature difference isn't a consistent value.

That's really only a difference of running at like 100rpm less on the copper version. I'm not saying that I wouldn't buy a copper version. I'm buying this regardless of copper vs aluminum. I'm just surprised to find that the temperature difference isn't a consistent value.

i'd find it odd if it was a constant value. The metals only conduct the heat, you still need the heat to be dissipated i to the air which is done by the fans. Maybe someone with material/science background related to the topic can provide some formulas to clarify it better.

Back