DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

Dan is right but I would say that there possibly a risk it may not be fully tested with each bios release as it is an uncommon configuration? Not necessarily a big deal as you could roll back to a previous one if you had issues. Maybe I am just being pessimistic though.

On the plus side it looks like it will fully work with error correction on some Ryzen boards, if we ever seen any itx ones...

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...but-mainboards-need-to-enable-it-and.2500613/

I wonder what the performance difference will be with the 92vs120mm fan, are there any comparisons with the nexus? Tough to justify the expense and lower speed of the low profile ram but it is cool!

It kills me that my Hyperx RAM barely doesn't fit. How easy do you think it would be to just squish my RAM heatsink by 0.5mm to make it fit and have a little wiggle room? I know that the heatsink really doesn't do much, but I like the appearance of it and would like to keep it if possible. After a quick Google search I couldn't find any results on it (probably because it's a stupid idea).

It kills me that my Hyperx RAM barely doesn't fit. How easy do you think it would be to just squish my RAM heatsink by 0.5mm to make it fit and have a little wiggle room? I know that the heatsink really doesn't do much, but I like the appearance of it and would like to keep it if possible. After a quick Google search I couldn't find any results on it (probably because it's a stupid idea).

Pssssssh, squish nothing.

It's dremel time.

My understanding is RAM heatsinks are mostly pointless. In any case Team Vulcan RAM is another set to consider as it has "normal" sized heatsinks (really just metal flaps) and total height is I believe 31.5mm or so. They offer 3000 MHz DDR4 modules and these work fine on my Asus Strix Mobo (although that mobo has some voltage issues requiring manual timings and voltages for stability, which I do not believe is the fault fo the RAM!)

I realize it's not necessary to have the heatsink on, but I think it looks nicer than the bare pcb. I'm just curious if there's a solution that allows me to keep my heatsinks attached without a ton of work. It's not a big deal if I end up needing to take the ram heatsink off.

I realize it's not necessary to have the heatsink on, but I think it looks nicer than the bare pcb. I'm just curious if there's a solution that allows me to keep my heatsinks attached without a ton of work. It's not a big deal if I end up needing to take the ram heatsink off.

That brings us back to my point. Where's the nice looking, low profile, DDR4?? I guess it will take time? Or do the manufacturers assume nobody cares for low profile? I guess DonDan will have to come to the rescue again. Custom low profile RAM is totally doable in a weekend haha ;)
Crucial-Ballistix-7.jpg

For comparison. Here are the two LP memory modules from Crucial. The one on the left and middle. With the RAM on the right being more typical 'enthusiast' RAM. I don't understand why DDR4 versions of these low profile modules don't exist.

Today I discover the following:

You can use this RAM: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4xfd824a (Crucial VLP DDR4 unbuffered-ECC) on Asrock and Gigabyte boards. If you use unbuffered-ECC (different to registered-ECC) RAM on a not compatible ECC plattform like Intel H110/B150/H170/Z170/Z270 s.o. the motherboard will downgrade it to none-ECC mode.

I found this:

Asrock:

Gigabyte:

Maybe this will not work for other vendors.

$183.9 for one 16GB stick. Jesus! I paid 199$ for two 16GB sticks also at 2400hz

Massive decrease after de-lidding an i7-7700K !!

thermal-performance.png

By going with a drop of super glue at each corner instead of a layer of silicone glue in between, I reduced the distance between the CPU die and IHS and, thus, also reduced the heat-transfer distance, which aided heat transfer away from the die.

Last edited:
Massive decrease after de-lidding an i7-7700K !!

View attachment 23221
Something I've wondered about delidding, since I've not done it before... If the glue on the heat spreader creates some distance between the die and the spreader itself, and you remove all the glue, do you not run the risk of the heat spreader actually getting too close to the die where it actually touches it with enough force that it might break the die? (from the mounting pressure of whatever heatsink is used) Or is this a null issue becuase even without any glue there will always be some gap between the spreader and the die?

Something I've wondered about delidding, since I've not done it before... If the glue on the heat spreader creates some distance between the die and the spreader itself, and you remove all the glue, do you not run the risk of the heat spreader actually getting too close to the die where it actually touches it with enough force that it might break the die? (from the mounting pressure of whatever heatsink is used) Or is this a null issue becuase even without any glue there will always be some gap between the spreader and the die?

The die is actually much harder than the ihs, even though it's brittle. This means that they are allowed to touch, as long as the load is somewhat evenly distributed.. There should always be a tim between them, which also helps to even out the load.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases...ntel-Haswell-CPU/Putting-it-all-back-together

This article scared me off de-lidding, these chips are delicate and Intel keeps making them thinner every generation... Based on the article I'm sure I wouldn't try direct die. Once you establish that you are going to use the heat spreader, the question is what glue do you use, do you do the corners only, how thin can the glue be without resulting in cracking of the die? Also, how much pressure can you apply without warping the heat spreader and causing cracking? Too many unknowns for me, that's why I will go x99 or Ryzen as they are properly soldered.

Reactions: Ej24
like this
So Dondan, what's your plan from here?

Are you getting the two Lian-li samples to compare? All three samples? Something else entirely?

Big Update:

Quote Lian Li 2
- No fan
- Copper CPU base
- Copper Heatpipes
- Copper fins
- Retention for 115x, AM4 and 2011-3 narrow ILM
- The expected KS price will be 70€ incl. 19% German VAT (so for international customers subtract 19% and add your location VAT)

I think I will go without a included fan because I don't have the knowhow to develop a fan, so I can't be sure that the fan is on the same premium level like the heatsink.
The philosophy of DAN Cases is to offer perfect products this is why I will not offer it with a fan.

So some VLP DDR4 RAM & the (as yet unreleased) Noctua NF-A12x15 fan would be the perfect combo with Option 2...!

This is gonna come with a snazzy case badge, right...?!?

Last edited:
Back