DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

I am very interested and would happily pay the prices for tue Lian Li coolers. Having it include the narrow 2011 kit makes it worth it.

Does this mean that we will have to purchase fan clips ourselves as well or will that come with the cooler? It would only be a minor inconvenience, but just wondering is all.

It could be a threaded mount with screws like the fan mount on the nh-l9i. Universal by design. Whereas the wire clips are not.

I think that the copper weight issue is really a packaging issue, it may be a small issue for people that move their case a lot but I doubt it. On the other hand, the thermalright full copper coolers has 6 heat pipes so it would be stronger than the 4 on the Dan cooler.

If it can be shipped in a way that the CPU base plate is always in free air it will be fine.

I think that copper will sell the cooler even if the performance delta is negligible. It's just good marketing.

it may be a small issue for people that move their case a lot but I doubt it.
Sentry was marketed as a case that is build for mobile road-warrior use.
If this cooler is also targeting Sentry bankers, it would be nice to make it reliable in mobile setting.

I think the same but I will test it. :) I will order sample this week. It needs 8 weeks to get them :(

6 Weeks for manufactory and 2 weeks for shipping then i think or faster with express shipping.

I didnt think some samples should take that time to get done.

My vote for Lian Li option #2: no fan, FULL COPPER! That price, plus markup and shipping is very reasonable, I think, and will be happy to pay for.

Just one more person chiming in that the Lian Li option looks great—full copper could be amazing but my inner scientist is happy you'll be testing both! Would gladly pay the $90 if it ends up beating the LP53 so I don't have to do some black magic with something from Dynatron.

As a Sentry backer, I love that you've taken on this project!

I definitely agree with everyone here, I was also a sentry backer and cannot find true quality low profile coolers for higher 95+ watt components. I would love to get option #2 as well. Dondan good luck with everything

I don't know why it's being suggested that it'll end up costing $90 when dondan said it'd likely be 70€. If it gets any more expensive than that, it'll cost too much for most to justify—especially without a fan being included.

Last edited:
I don't know why it's being suggested that it'll end up costing $90 when dondan said it'd likely be 70€. If it gets any more expensive than that, it'll cost too much for most to justify—especially without a fan being included.

I was the only one who suggested it. :p

70€ is about $77 USD. Subtract ~20% for no VAT, and you're sitting at $61.
Add anywhere between $20-30 as a conservative estimate of shipping a solid copper cooler (to the U.S.) and that's how I figured about $90 shipped.

I'm having a hard time determining what the max height is for RAM with this heatsink. Dondan, would you be so kind as to please specify in the OP what the Max compatible RAM height is with a 92mm/100mm fan as well as a 120mm fan?

I'm having a hard time determining what the max height is for RAM with this heatsink. Dondan, would you be so kind as to please specify in the OP what the Max compatible RAM height is with a 92mm/100mm fan as well as a 120mm fan?

I can say for the 120mm fan attached, you need to get this type of ram (18.75mm) (0.738") height
HgNAj.jpg
Innodisk M4U0-AGS1WCSJ 16GB DDR4 2400

So that would be a 120x15mm fan?
I can say for the 120mm fan attached, you need to get this type of ram (18.75mm) (0.738") height
HgNAj.jpg
Innodisk M4U0-AGS1WCSJ 16GB DDR4 2400

So VLP RAM with a 120mm fan and then 33.75mm RAM with a 92mm fan?

Last edited:
So that would be a 120x15mm fan?

Yes, same as the Nexus low 7000 R2 mod using 120X15mm fan or even the 120X12mm like the Scythe "SY1212SL12H-P" 4-pin PWM

If you go for the VLP then note that there are (3) types of RAM:
1-unbuffered non-ECC (will work, like the innodisk)
2-unbuffered-ECC {UDIMM} (will work if your motherboard support it like the Asrock z270 itx)
3-Registered ECC {RDIMM} (will not work)

For other fans dondan can give you the answer

Last edited:
92mm FAN:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From PCB MB to topside CPU = 7.3mm
Heatsink height = 47mm
Total = 54.3mm

Fin array height = 18mm
PCB MB to DDR4 sockte buttom = 2.4mm

Max RAM height: 54.3mm - 18mm - 2.4 = 33.9mm

So the max height for RAM with a 92mm FAN is 33.9mm because the fan is next to the RAM and the RAM needs only to fit under the heatsink.

120mm FAN:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From PCB MB to topside CPU = 7.3mm
Heatsink height = 47mm
Total = 54.3mm

Fin array height = 18mm
120x15mm FAN = 15mm
PCB MB to DDR4 sockte buttom = 2.4mm

So the max height for RAM with 120mm FAN is 18.9mm because the fan have to fit between RAM and heatsink.

======================================================================================

Normal DDR4 RAM height = 30-32mm
Normal VLP RAM height = 18.00-18.9mm

Last edited:
Is normal DDR including standard heatsink? Most RAM these days seems to have pretty significant height increases due to ornate heatsink? Would something like Hyper X Fury RAM fit under this heatsink?

Checkout G.Skill Aegis DDR4 only 31.2 mm height

Would something like Hyper X Fury RAM fit under this heatsink?

You need to do your own homework to select the compatible ram ;)

IMG_1996.jpg
IMG_1997.jpg

So you need to remove the heatsink for the Fury, I dont know if that is easy to do.

The
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 is 33.5mm

Last edited:
So basically for a significant portion of the top selling RAM on the market, this heatsink is likely going to pose an issue, even with a 92mm fan. Bummer:(

So basically for a significant portion of the top selling RAM on the market, this heatsink is likely going to pose an issue, even with a 92mm fan. Bummer:(

Er, not so much.

The only point of the heatsink is to look fancy; it can be removed without any problem at all. (And, if it's really a concern, copper plating can be put on the side to actually dissipate heat.)

The good news, as kingtron said, is that the vengeance lpx fits stock. It's some of the best value ram out there from a reputable brand. The one thing I don't know is if it's using samsung chips or micron - nor do I know how much of a difference that really makes, since most of us aren't going to be trying to overclock our ram very far.

Er, not so much.

The only point of the heatsink is to look fancy; it can be removed without any problem at all. (And, if it's really a concern, copper plating can be put on the side to actually dissipate heat.)

The good news, as kingtron said, is that the vengeance lpx fits stock. It's some of the best value ram out there from a reputable brand. The one thing I don't know is if it's using samsung chips or micron - nor do I know how much of a difference that really makes, since most of us aren't going to be trying to overclock our ram very far.
G.Skill Ageis gives much better value and you can get more ram. Depending on what you are doing more ram might be much better than faster speeds and you get G.Skill Ageis 2400ghz and overclock it.

G.Skill Ageis gives much better value and you can get more ram. Depending on what you are doing more ram might be much better than faster speeds and you get G.Skill Ageis 2400ghz and overclock it.
Fair point. :)

*sigh* what happened to the good ole days of ddr3? I have crucial ballistix tactical low profile in all my pc's still. I think it's 22mm high and over clocks like a champ at 1.5v. Or runs at stock 1600mhz as low as 1.2v. Efficient. Small. Fast.

The crucial ballistix sport very low profile is 18mm iirc. It's almost shorter than the clips that hold the ram in the slot.

A quick search of eBay suggests these seem to have become niche products with 16gb kits going for $150-200.

Why is there no real low profile Ddr4?

Can't a low profile 120mm fan be mounted slightly off center on the heatsink in alot of cases assuming it clears the vrm heatsinks etc.?

Reactions: Rysen
like this
Today I discover the following:

You can use this RAM: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4xfd824a (Crucial VLP DDR4 unbuffered-ECC) on Asrock and Gigabyte boards. If you use unbuffered-ECC (different to registered-ECC) RAM on a not compatible ECC plattform like Intel H110/B150/H170/Z170/Z270 s.o. the motherboard will downgrade it to none-ECC mode.

I found this:

Asrock:
- Supports ECC UDIMM memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)

Gigabyte:

Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)

Maybe this will not work for other vendors.

Today I discover the following:

You can use this RAM: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4xfd824a (Crucial VLP DDR4 unbuffered-ECC) on Asrock and Gigabyte boards. If you use unbuffered-ECC (different to registered-ECC) RAM on a not compatible ECC plattform like Intel H110/B150/H170/Z170/Z270 s.o. the motherboard will downgrade it to none-ECC mode.

I found this:

Asrock:

Gigabyte:

Maybe this will not work for other vendors.

I think you may need to run a Xeon for this. E3-xxxx is the small Xeon. It is hard to learn about ECC because manufacturers don't tell us!

No because a Xeon will not work on H110/B150/H170/Z170/Z270 chipset.
So on ASRock and Gigabyte current Intel generation 1151 boards unbuffered-ECC will work with any CPU.

Back