DAN C4-SFX: The smallest water cooling case in the world

Sorry if this has been answered previously. With the case being able to accommodate a 240 rad, will this be able to fit two 120 AIOs? One for CPU and one for GPU?
Yes, it will

13e2utp.jpg

So, I love the idea of this case. But as with my Ncase M1, my primary issue with AIOs has always been the pump noise. I heard the pump noise from my Corsair H60, Deepcool 240 (i forget the model), and Corsair H90 as well. Is there such thing as a 'silent' pump? I tend to run fans at low RPM, so I've always heard the pump over anything else. During gaming it's less of an issue as the GPU often drowns all out, but 90% of my time on my comp is idling/doing general tasks, so it's always been a bit of an annoyance..

Note: not willing to go custom waterloop at this stage. I'm a low-maintenance kinda guy. Set and forget. :p

the problem with this config is that the pumps are now the high points. so any air in the aio, which there is usually a little, will collect there causing potential noise and or wear. custom is this case might eliminate that. its kinda late but the rads at the top would be the better option, shift everything else down.

Reactions: dglow
like this
the problem with this config is that the pumps are now the high points. so any air in the aio, which there is usually a little, will collect there causing potential noise and or wear. custom is this case might eliminate that. its kinda late but the rads at the top would be the better option, shift everything else down.

But you can flip the case?

https://hardforum.com/attachments/82truk-jpg.67637/

Can we talk about physics for a second? How is a heavy card hanging like a bat from the little plastic PCIe lock secure? Am I missing something? Is it as secure as in the right-side-up orientation, and if so how?

like this
Can we talk about physics for a second? How is a heavy card hanging like a bat from the little plastic PCIe lock secure? Am I missing something? Is it as secure as in the right-side-up orientation, and if so how?

The card weight is supported by the PCIE bracket(back of the case) not by the PCIE slot.

The card weight is supported by the PCIE bracket(back of the case) not by the PCIE slot.

Some of it yes, but without the slot I assume it's not going to fare well under stress. The slot stabilizes it, but there has to be stress on the bracket. The bracket is designed with gravity in mind. So I don't really get how it's secure like that. Do the "feet" of the bracket insert into anything?

Some of it yes, but without the slot I assume it's not going to fare well under stress. The slot stabilizes it, but there has to be stress on the bracket. The bracket is designed with gravity in mind. So I don't really get how it's secure like that. Do the "feet" of the bracket insert into anything?

There's always the locking plastic tab that latches onto the card, just behind the slot. I had presumed this was part of the PCI standard... for full-length slots, at least. Is it not?

Hmm, it looks like a lot of the new NVidia RTX series will be 2½-3 PCI slot cards. All non blower Vega 64 cards are 2½-3 slots too. I'm worried this case will have problems with high end cards in general. Especially with the glass side, even with the 2½ slot pci pcb extension. Anyone else a little worried about future GPU's with this case?

like this
Hmm, it looks like a lot of the new NVidia RTX series will be 2½-3 PCI slot cards. All non blower Vega 64 cards are 2½-3 slots too. I'm worried this case will have problems with high end cards in general. Especially with the glass side, even with the 2½ slot pci pcb extension. Anyone else a little worried about future GPU's with this case?

It's a good question; let's address it empirically.

Dan designed the C4's riser and case back + spacer to support up to '2.5-slot widths'. What, precisely, does that mean in mm? Knowing this value we can compare all the new RTX boards as OEMs begin publishing their physical dimensions.

It's a good question; let's address it empirically.

Dan designed the C4's riser and case back + spacer to support up to '2.5-slot widths'. What, precisely, does that mean in mm? Knowing this value we can compare all the new RTX boards as OEMs begin publishing their physical dimensions.

Indeed. But remember the glass will suffocate any fan that's close to it. So if you use the 2½ slot spacer that comes with the window) and the window, you still only have room for a 2 slot card, if you want proper ventilation. This should be seen as less of a critique of the case, and more on the direction GPU coolers are moving. I wan to see more EVGA 1080ti FTW3 coolers, that a huge, 3 fans, but only 2 slots. But the EVGA 2080ti FTW3 cooler is a straight up 3 slot cooler.

Hi everyone,

I have two questions for you:

1) Is it worth dropping 2x 120mm AIO support for not seeing screws on the side panel?
2) What do you prefer USB Typ-C or Audio+Microphone?

Hi everyone,

1) Is it worth dropping 2x 120mm AIO support for not seeing screws on the side panel?
1-I dont mind the screws
2-keep both :)

Long time no see dondan , I hope things are going well with your little girl. :)

As for your questions...
1) I think I will only use a 240mm AIO so I'm fine with dropping the support for 2 x 120mm AIOs - Question is, how many of us are planning to use 2 x 120mm AIO?
2) It's a painful one, I think I'd prefer the Type-C port over the 2 audio jacks. BUT do you think a single 3.5" combo audio jack could still fit alongside the type C port?

1) I personally wouldn't use two 120mm AIOs, but I don't want that option taken away just to avoid seeing screws.
2) I'd prefer both—surely, it's possible. However, if I had to choose, I'd keep USB Type-C.

Case is so small that accessing the rear auido is easy enough? I use the rear audio on my a4, I'd say I'm in the minority, most people are using usb/wireless? It's not something I think people plug in and out regularly, only when moving?

Reactions: Jspr
like this
dondan what if you remove the Type-A port and keep the Type-C + audio jacks?
(I own a Macbook Pro so I'm used to having type-C ports only lol)

Maybe a poll could help you with the decision.

1. Side screws are not that bad. Especially not on the glass side panel. Maybe use torx for better look? I will use a 24 cm CLC, but the option to use 2x12cm should remain for greater support.
  2. USB-C. The front panel header might not be that common on ITX motherboards right now, but it will in the future. No one should use front audio anyways. USB-c to audio jacks do exist though, if people are desperate.

1. I personally won't care for side screws, I'd rather have the option for 2x120mm
2. USB C

Last edited:
  • Twin 120 rad flexibility is more important as it opens up many closed-loop GPU options, out-of-the-box and otherwise.

That's an unfortunate tradeoff with case aesthetics, though. Is there no alternative to the snap-in pegs for side panel mounting – perhaps some sort of thin hook and latch, brazed onto the inside of the panels?

• Front-facing USB over audio, for sure. Modern USB specs matter, but I'd opt for a type-A port over type-C.

Most of the peripherals (flash drives, audio) I want to plug and unplug frequently use type-A connectors, and will for a long while I suspect. Type-C USB or Thunderbolt, for pure speed, is fine on the back of the case IMO. The worst case is a type-C to type-A dongle constantly hanging off the front.

Definitely provide an option for 2x120mm. There are so many hybrid GPU's out there with a 120mm that it would cut off all of those potential users. Flexibility with the number and range of AIO's is key for this to work, IMO.

I have no preference over the front ports because I tend not to have anything at all plugged into the front of the case, except to say that I can't remember when I last plugged an audio cable into the front. I use a USB headset currently but just ordered one which will have a breakout box that will be plugged into the rear. Even those with high-end headphones will use an amp that can be plugged into the back so not sure how much of an issue it would be to replace it with USB-C.

Hi everyone,

1) Seeing screws is not an issue for me.
2) USB Type-C

On my desk the only possibility to place a computer case is to my left. I recently ordered a windowed side panel for the NCASE M1 and am in the process of building in it with some RGB. My girlfriend is making fun of me, because the case will be placed UNDER the desk, because to my left ON the desk I wouldn't see the left window of the M1 at all.
What I want to say: I desperately need this DAN C4-SFX case. How long is the possibility away to buy it?

1. Keep the 2x 120mm option
2. USB-C

Why can't you release a USB-C front panel kit for the A4?

Maybe some of you wonder if there is any progress in thes project. And I can say yes it is. Currently I validating some design and layout concepts that comes in my mind. I know some of you will think this is just waste of time and I should move with the current design in production - yes maybe but I have no time pressure and I like to evaluate this concept.

The main idea behind this new concept is a more elegant look of the case that is more minimalistic/simple. All designs features a USB-Type C and 2x USB 3.0 at the front and a rotateable design. For every designs the window panel will be optional.

Scyscraper-Layout:
The two systems on the left are scyscraper style cases, like the Phantek Shift or Corsair One. The hardwarelyout is the same of the C4 but rotated 90°. The main difference is the radiator location. For the C4 it is inside the case for this design only the fans are inside the case, the radiator can be piggybacked over the backside. This will allow to use very thick radiators. Also a usage without radiators is possible. The bigger version (410x205x127 = 10.6L) will have support for 360mm radiators, while the smaller version (360x205x127 = 9,3L) supports 240mm radiators or 2x 120mm radiatos. There will be holes on the backside of the case to route cables to the outside.

Classic-Layout
The right system is just the new outer design used on the current hardware layout of the C4-SFX. The dimensions will be 255x323x130 = 10.7L

PS: Sorry for only showing SketchUp design study if I find the time I will do some more realistic renderings.

3r2dwk.jpg

2rad52.jpg

4k3f4o.jpg

5fnf97.jpg

7dpigs.jpg

Back