DAN C4-SFX: The smallest water cooling case in the world

I like it, minus a few things, but they're just my opinion.

Those angled corners on the side panel don't look that good. Not a fan of the slants and feel that design won't age well. Reminds me of the ncase.
The case in general looks way too boxy. It just looks like a rough square box with no subtle curves, or rounded edges.
Not a fan of the case feet. They remind me of a cheap design from a plastic case, or those cheap $40 steel cases. I think a lip like this for the feet would like 20x better, but maybe with a smaller gap.

Reactions: dglow
like this
Aesthetics are always subjective. However, dondan already surveyed the followers of this project regarding design choices and this was the most popular one—by a wide margin, if I remember correctly.

If you do industrial design by committee the results will always be mediocre.

goldy is right: aesthetically this new case is just another box. The rounded rects of the A4 set it apart, imbuing it with an Apple-like design language. The C4 has no such distinguishing characteristic.

Dan could establish a common visual amongst his cases – a 'house look' if you will. It would be great for his brand. He posted a rendering with with the A4 styling upthread.

Last edited:
Today I made a short rendering with I/O on top because I still like this design. I think it looks more elegant without the cutouts on the sides. For this test I used only USB3.0 type A and USB3.1 type C on the topside. I know we already had the discussion, but what do you think?

c4-sfx_black_top.266vlu7l.jpg

Click for 4K

Last edited:
It does look nice, and maybe you could do a limited run/stretch goal for those that really want it.

But I prefer the side panel cutout because it adds something more than just good looks, it adds a distinctive flair that sets it apart from its few peers. It helps bring together all the other little touches you've added that make this case defining. Finally, it serves a practical purpose - easy access to the ports regardless of case orientation, without having to perform extra steps.

In short, I think it is simple, elegant, and effective. But I do feel a stretch goal on your Kickstarter for a limited run of the top-side port edition might be a feasible option to have it all.

Today I made a short rendering with I/O on top because I still like this design. I think it looks more elegant without the cutouts on the sides. For this test I used only USB3.0 type A and USB3.1 type C on the topside. I know we already had the discussion, but what do you think?

Click for 4K

I prefer the current chosen side I/O. Actually your default layout is damn perfect for my setup. I would consider replacing my M1 with this.. I have my computer on the left of me, so having I/O there as well as the visible glass, would work really well. That said, I'd need to likely change some of my parts in order to fit this case.. Unsure if I have the cash :p. I don't think my GTX 1070 Strix will fit based on dimensions alone..

I prefer the top I/O. I don't care a front audio jack but you think it is necessary, how about audio+mic jack? like smartphones one.
it is more simple and convenient.

I prefer the top I/O. I don't care a front audio jack but you think it is necessary, how about audio+mic jack? like smartphones one.

That doesn't work for a lot of headsets or those using mics with their headphones (modmic etc). not everyone wants to/should have to then purchase a 2x to 1x 3.5 adapter.

Whilst I do not personally use front audio, and haven't for a few years, if you're going to put it in, put in both seperately. Combining them just creates more issues. For minimal benefit. You still have an extra cable regardless interally.

I'd be super stoked with 1 Type C, 1 Type C, and Power. End. But I understand the need for front audio for some.

I think the case is getting more generic look with every design iteration being made. The very first look was audacious but now with this top side I/O it looks even more tamed and feels very casual and less exciting (yet the top I/O is more practical I admit). The stands looks great tho..

As this case will most probably be placed on a desk instead of underneath it, it doesn't make sense to have some I/O at the top of the case.
While this would not be an issue for a USB stick, it doesn't make any sense to have a cable of a headphone or a USB-C accessory/cable running from the front top of the case all the way down to your desk.

Yes, the Top I/O looks better, but the Side I/O makes a whole lot more sense when the case is placed next to your monitor.

Maybe it is just my usecase but i only need front i/o for plug in a USB stick. So 99% of the time there is nothing pluged in. My headphone is pluged in over the backside because it looks much cleaner. Don't forgett this case is very small and is located on the desk so access the backside of the case is not a big deal. I love pure and elegant design like Apple products and in my opinion the top i/o is more elegant and the side i/o looks playful starship like.

Furthermore the top i/o is cheaper in production because i can use usb headers that already exists. (Saving tooling costs)

Last edited:
Please don't - I already hate that Razer switched out their separate jacks for a combined one I can't use for my headset anymore. Most Headsets use Separate Jacks - some people even use separate devices for playback and recording.

How can you flip the case with the IO on top? I think io on the side is troublesome also depending on how you orentate the case and what side of the desk you put it on.

Like most of you I prefer having the I/O on the sides, however I do understand Dan's point of view
(simpler design => lower production costs => lower retail price => petentially more appealing).

So here's a quick idea for side I/O without cutouts. (of course only Dan knows if it's somehow feasible or not) :angelic:

c4-glassiqsyz.png

c4-soliduksdg.png

Like most of you I prefer having the I/O on the sides, however I do understand Dan's point of view
(simpler design => lower production costs => lower retail price => petentially more appealing).

So here's a quick idea for side I/O without cutouts. (of course only Dan knows if it's somehow feasible or not) :angelic:

c4-glassiqsyz.png

c4-soliduksdg.png
I don't think those small changes would actually influence production cost by a lot, but I couldn't tell - at least I would rather buy the ones with cutouts, than without.

Side I/O looks much better imo. The render with top I/O is boring. No matter the exact design in the end, this will never hit a cost effective price point and that should't be the intention behind the project. Costs can't be ignored, but if you need to sacrifice to much of the vision for cost cutting you did something wrong along the way

The top will always gather so much dust, at least in my experience. So i vote the side ports just for that reason. Visually, I like'em both.

Side I/O is more convenient, but the edge-to-edge window panel is a great look. When the side panel is metal, though, adding the cutout (via side I/O) will look superior.

I think it's easy to get in the weeds and forget that dondan can always arbitrarily decide what variant he wants to build and sell. For me, as long as this tiny case can support dual AIOs and high end equipment in the smallest footprint possible, then that's what I'm here to buy. I want side io, I want a distinctive look, but those are extras to me.

I think it's awesome that we've been given the privilege of having our opinions heard, but I think most of us who feel connected to this case are not going to say "sorry Dan, you didn't put the IO exactly where I wanted, not buying." If you are in that position, I highly encourage you to learn how to engineer and 3D model your own case to be exactly what you want.

I think it's easy to get in the weeds and forget that dondan can always arbitrarily decide what variant he wants to build and sell.
Sure he can, but from what kind of person he seems to be, I doubt he will just ignore what the community says and do his thing regardless of what we say.

As I already said, I prefer the side I/O a lot more than the top one.

I like what AlMiDaX has posted. Just black out the IO and get rid of all that ugly silver trim and it's much nicer. That way the IO doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

To be honest i like both versions as long as the overall design of the case and the feet (man, i love those case feet design) won't change. Can't wait to see the prototypes !

To be honest i like both versions as long as the overall design of the case ...Can't wait to see the prototypes !

This is exactly what I was thinking, whatever layout decision is made, I will seriously consider purchasing! Excited for beauty shots!

Assuming everything else can fit within the case, what radiator/pumps exist on the market that would be good fit for the C4 when making a small custom loop?

Hey dondan talking about Apple-like design, are you opting for Brushed Aluminium or Standard Aluminium?
Personally I'd love if the C4-SFX have Standard Aluminum finsh and Space Grey as color option (like the new iMac Pro).

The more angular design reminds me more of Microsoft rather than the bubbly bigger radius corners Apple prefers to use.
And I prefer it this way. Apple's design is too feminine for me.
I also prefer the side IO with the cutout in the glass. It just makes this case special rather than being another box with one side glass.

Is there enough space under the PSU and GPU to fit a DDC pump?

Back