DAN C4-SFX: The smallest water cooling case in the world

@All:
I am thinking of renaming the C4-H2O.
I am afraid, that somebody can think that this case is only made for water cooling. This is a real problem, because I think the air cooling efficiency of this case is better as it is in the A4-SFX.
So I need your help again. Please help me finding a new name for the C4-XXX!

Rules:
- The new name must start with C4-
- No names that is longer than 3-4 characters

Example: C4-SFX

Why not just C4?

The A4-SFX only got the SFX part to differentiate it from the original that used something else altogether.

Today I updated my drawing to the new dimension. 128,5 x 241 x 322,6mm = 9,9l.
I also changed the length of the motherboard stand-offs from 7mm to 5mm. The big cutout in the motherboard tray make this possible.
The new maximum height for CPU heatsinks is now 64mm if you use a GPU with backplate or 68mm if you not have a backplate in use.

Today I updated my drawing to the new dimension. 128,5 x 241 x 322,6mm = 9,9l.
I also changed the length of the motherboard stand-offs from 7mm to 5mm. The big cutout in the motherboard tray make this possible.
The new maximum height for CPU heatsinks is now 64mm if you use a GPU with backplate or 68mm if you not have a backplate in use.
Possible new renders with new dimensions and radiator +25mm?

Thanks dondan!

Are the bigger radiators fitting now ?
Like the be quiet! Silent Loop 240 (277 x 124 x 27,5)

Last edited:
headertcjze.jpg

Introduction

DAN Cases is back and this is our next tribute to the SFF community.

I am proud to introduce you the C4-H2O. The name comes from the German envelope norm for A4 papers and the possibility to mount a water cooling solution inside. With this new product I like to address three disadvantages of the A4-SFX – limited cooling, limited front I/O ports, long production time and price tag. With the C4-H2O I like to expanse my product portfolio so it will be available next to the A4-SFX.

The result is a 9.5L SFF gaming case with the possibility to use with high-end standardized components while keep them cool and quiet.

How it works

The new design used a sandwich based hardware layout and offers space for full-size graphics cards, mITX motherboard and SFX power supply. Instead of mounting a flexible riser cable the new design comes with a hard riser. Therefore the graphics card will be above the motherboard.

To provide enough air for the CPU heatsink the case has two mount points for 120mm fan in the “bottom” area. In this area it is possible to mount a 240mm AIO. The fans sucking air from the inside and push hot airt out on the bottom side. Fresh air comes in through the topside. This creates a continuous airflow in the inside between the components.

The case allows for easy mounting of either SFX or SFX-L power supplies. The PSU is located in the front of the chassis. Depending on the size of the PSU, up to two 2.5” HDDs or SSDs can be mounted in the drive bay. This drive bay could potentially be mounted with rubber spacers to reduce vibration. A third drive can be mounted behind the front cover.

To increase the count of accessible front I/O ports, it features USB3.0 Type-C, USB3.0-Type-A, Line-Out and Microphone jacks.

1k_18981u3l.jpg

1k_1745pbgv.jpg

1k_175vdbxx.jpg

untitled-14xrx9.jpg

Just Flip it

It is possible to flip the case 180°. Rotate the front, mount the case feets on the opposit side and flip the side cover. Now the fan area is on the top side. The allows for switching the front I/O from the right to left side.

1k_18710kpx.jpg

Specification

Case Dimensions (H x W x D): 242 x 127,5 x 323,6mm, 9.9L
Overall Dimensions: 247 x 127,5 x 323,6mm (including case feets)
Weight: ??? Kg

Graphic cards support: Dual-Slot up to 295mm length
Motherboard support: Mini-ITX
Power Supply support: SFX, SFX-L
CPU Heatsink support: Up to 60mm height
Water cooling support: 240mm AIO
· radiator thickness 38mm with 2x 16mm thick fans
· radiator thickness 30mm with 2x 25mm thick fans
· radiator thickness 27mm with 2x 25m thick fans
· radiator thickness 22mm with 2x 25mm thick fans

Drives: 3 x 2.5" HDD/SSD

Front ports: 1 x USB 3.0 Type-A & 1x Type-C (internal 20pin plug), 1x Microphone, 1x Line-Out
Power button: Premium-grade button

Material: 2.5mm aluminum (outer parts), 1.5mm aluminum (inner parts)
Side panels: Easily clipp able with Lian Li Push Pin technology
Colors: Anodized sand blasted black or silver exterior, matte black painted interior

Risercard: Includes PCIe 16x hard riser
Fan’s: Includes 2x 120mm 25mm thick fans

Price tag: 160-180€

Gallery

1k_179kbkz8.jpg

1k_181owkqq.jpg

1k_169xnxuw.jpg

1k_170chylv.jpg

1k_171bhyyd.jpg

1k_172q6bri.jpg

1k_173mpzm1.jpg

1k_180x9joo.jpg

FAQ

Coming soon

Thank you for reading and your support. Please let me know what you are think!
oh man!!! i need that! what about the version 2 with the glass panels they were supposed to be coming out with?

Three and a half years ago, I had posted a case idea.... It's good to see that it's pretty much coming to life with C4-SFX ;)
https://hardforum.com/threads/new-unconventional-mitx-case-idea.1813001/

No, I don't mean to imply that Dan took my idea or anything (he probably wasn't even aware). It's just good to see that I was right, that it would be a really good case if implemented right ;)

Kudos bro!

Will be picking up two of these things in the future. I can't wait.

V1/V2 A4 buyer, keep it as close to, or under 10L, but no bigger, as you will have competition.

I actually liked C4-H2O name, although C4-SFX may be more inline with the marketing side of things.

Where is the buy now button.....

Dang, I need to watch this thread in order to see when the Kickstarter campain will start

After I got the first prototype I will do some real photos for my webside. Then you we be able to join a subscription list on the new C4-SFX sub page. Then I will inform you 7 days before Kickstarter launch.

What is the maximum height for the GPU? Is it well over 140mm? The only problem I have with my precious Ncase is that it can't use MSI gamingX 1070 :(

The fan question!

I am thinking making a special edition of this case with two preinstalled 2x 120x120x25mm fans.
So there will be one version without fans and a second version with fans.
Do you have a prefered fan that I should consider?

gmx-fan-rgb12-08jeks4.jpg

Last edited:
Also...the pwm Scythe Slip Stream slim version is nice. I'm using 2 of them... only 12mm thick.

Noctua NF A12x15 PWM fans
pros: quiet, perform well, slim 15mm, rubber pads and mount, quality
cons: brown color

If you plan to include fans, I vote for PWM and slim profile fans regardless of the brand.

Had to make a profile in here for this thread. This case looks absolutely gorgeous and is a huge upgrade over A4 due to the better cooling, and active intake. I'm still waiting to make my first ITX build, but this looks so good, I might get it. I would like to give my few cents on it though:

1. Your consumer base is made up of enthusiasts. Non enthusiasts won't pay that much for a case, that requires some skill to build in. As such, I think it's pointless to sell the case with fans, as most people who get this will either already have fans or get specific fans for their needs. Seems like a needless added cost. Like you wrote further up you could make 2 SKU's, one with and one without fans, but won't this make it more expensive and difficult for you?
  2. If you cut the fans, maybe include filters for the side and bottom instead? That would be a great valueadd, as most people would get them anyways.
  3. I think it would look nicer from an aesthetical view if the border around the perforation on the sidepanel would have equal width to the edges. In this case, make the perforation go further up and further down on the panel. It's one of the things that makes the A4 sidepanels nicer looking than the M1.
  4. Have you thought about changing the design of the perforation? I have a Lian Li v700 now, and it uses the same perforations. Since Lian Li has been "inspired" by your A4 when they manufactured it, maybe the other way is ok too? I love the slits in the new Q38:
    mO216Bdg15wwlhV41cMiLIP0K3BI53M5525fXiOPLhBLxrEoflhcsvgdEFPGuaxKx4X08YpCleNXIb8VkO6uS2DFeFMQRSN5uL8mey9ZEn1WNmWNoPMm3dPkGi4RzFPfsfQh46_wPSnKWSWbEWJSvqf8ZRg2DCC3925ltOW3U4fOg4wGRWuavd4KyGy39FLeI0sIoQ3uJjHrNhanFKVjN7uAeMlcwq7jDGPG4mttZdKuPxxlJEt7-HUQugmDKZiVAH2UuWAhu84mYanlsw54oRrUqfmVVAoTFvJaZWvNwHH2RVqfsQo4tnZR2WSrREg7IlE3qzLlBzphReRW2cCCuDnEWjv5A_CNdgFNvtRRKD1dDmteiJAx_HEWfgy5YR_-xjwD7nujtyQYqHO46c0zHrbmffjUlUuI3HioJKT66t2NvM8wl2skkBqxef2DdCErATwP7rDNQrULTgxUOu4VW9l67Tipf2dbzC4r3fvCOWc27Xl4CmvcsbqIujFnkOI6Q1oYz0nL3DA1y3RDjvk0a3Z1yeUIOHae4moYe1mZu_3rlmoS4P_jrVnxd1YKWcQrpP_Vnt1Uh_3GJU0yn4YTQ1fpoQve8VXnzHC6qtNvtQf5--xeU9t4vdlN_wKrxGaoyoDabKljWkBzge4l7MjImZiu598tzSB34APr=w1276-h957-no
  5. I love the side inputs, and the USB C connector. But do anyone actually use front jacks anymore? Especially on ITX builds? I could do without, but an extra USB port, but it's not a big issue at all.
Just my ideas. I will be keeping updated on this thread for sure :)

Would you consider making a stealth version of this, with no front I/O, no on button (have it somewhere on the backside) and preferably no brand name? I feel like people buying these cases care for a minimalist device so having a minimalist look would go well with that.

Notional:
1.) Two versions (one with fan and one without) will be ok for me. The logistic part is only slightly harder.
2.) I think I will make filters possible over DEMCifilter.
3.) Please use the following drawing to make this clearer:

(Click for full size)

4.) The ventilation hole pattern of the A4-SFX is Lian Li’s standard hole pattern. I am not a fan of the slot hole pattern because in my opinion it looks not so elegant.

XstreamHard:
Do you mean something like this? Is this not too boring?

stealthodobi.jpg

dondan Can't wait to get my hands on this case! If you really want to do a Special version with fans... Noctua is hands down the best option. If you order enough quantity Noctua will even accept to make a custom color scheme (black).

I too would love if you consider to make a "stealth" version without Logo on the front, I loved the clean/minimal look of the A4. Anyhow I'm ok with the Front (Side) I/O.

Reactions: Woxys
like this
Notional:
1.) Two versions (one with fan and one without) will be ok for me. The logistic part is only slightly harder.
2.) I think I will make filters possible over DEMCifilter.
3.) Please use the following drawing to make this clearer:

(Click for full size)

4.) The ventilation hole pattern of the A4-SFX is Lian Li’s standard hole pattern. I am not a fan of the slot hole pattern because in my opinion it looks not so elegant.

1. Ok, I just wondered if your consumers actually wanted it. More choice is never a bad thing ;)
2. I just assumed that would be a lot more expensive for the end user than having them included.
3. Pardon my crappy MS paint skills:

Dancase C4.jpg

4. I like the holes on my 700 too. Just a way to change the design further from the A4.

I second that have the brand name to be very discrete if not removed...I like the Ncase logo. It is there but you can hardly see it if you dont want to (mine is the silver version, not black.)

I second that have the brand name to be very discrete if not removed...I like the Ncase logo. It is there but you can hardly see it if you dont want to (mine is the silver version, not black.)
Same, but I think that is already the case based on the renders. Nice typeface, size and design. Looks better than my Lian Li branding.

XstreamHard:
Do you mean something like this? Is this not too boring?

stealthodobi.jpg

Interesting reflection you got going on there... But yes that's what I meant but maybe you are right, it kind of lacks something. I still like that it's clean but maybe it just needs a centerpiece, maybe a centered front power button. I do like the lack of front I/O though, I wouldn't really use it anyway and it looks much cleaner like that.

What do you guys think?

I hope Noctua new fans will come in time for your special version with fans case.
I think these fans are the best.
120mm_a_series_fan.jpg

I don't think fans should be included. I would say only a small percentage of people will use them in the long run no matter how good they are. Fans are a big part of customising the look of a build. Also they come with any AIO cooler and finally people often already have a couple of good fans too.

I hope Noctua new fans will come in time for your special version with fans case.
I think these fans are the best.
120mm_a_series_fan.jpg

I had previously heard that those fans were launching in October but I haven't heard anything since. Does anybody know?

I don't really get having a limited/special version with fans. If you are gonna do a special edition make a limited run of your case with a different color (white, gun grey) or something else.

I had previously heard that those fans were launching in October but I haven't heard anything since. Does anybody know?

You can buy these fan already, they are called "Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM", in Germany almost 20 EUR per fan, but it's worth, best 120mm slim fan you can get IMHO.

Back