DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Finally had my Dan A4 build up and running!! (photos taken by Tantricmodz who assembled my pc)

Intel I5 8600
Asus Strix Z370i
16gb G.skill Trident Z 3200
Cryorig C7
Asus Strix GTX1060 OC
512gb Samsung 960 evo
Corsair SF450
Be Quiet Silent wings 2 92mm
Custom cables by UPC

Will post the custom panels I had my pc modder did by the weekend and prolly test results aswell

received_1662179987163504.jpeg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1524713152858.jpg
    FB_IMG_1524713152858.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Who have fitted a Noctua 92x14 fan under the Mobo?
It seems when i try to do it the mobo hits the back of the fan and which causes the mobo to not line up with the 4 standoffs...

Who have fitted a Noctua 92x14 fan under the Mobo?
It seems when i try to do it the mobo hits the back of the fan and which causes the mobo to not line up with the 4 standoffs...

I used the rubber bits to secure the fan and didn't have that problem; try those?

I used the rubber bits to secure the fan and didn't have that problem; try those?

There are no need to secure the fan if its under the Motherboard, think we are misunderstanding each other, im trying to put 1 additional fan in the bottom compartment of the case.

There are no need to secure the fan if its under the Motherboard, think we are misunderstanding each other, im trying to put 1 additional fan in the bottom compartment of the case.

I think we're on the same subject; I'm just saying that I used the rubber pieces from the fan kit to hold it down as much as possible so it barely touched the motherboard at all.

Attachments

• 20180427_070151.jpg
    20180427_070151.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 0
Ahhh i see, maybe it gives the last mm i need for it to fit, so the fan dosent hit the Mobo at all?

Fair enough, i am gonna try do that soonish, is it the retail og boxed Noctua 92mm fan you got there?

Correct; I'm not sure I would encourage using the 2.5K rpm fan because the turbulence past 900 rpm is unfortunate.

Edited for typos.

Correct; I'm not sure I would encourage using the 2.5K rpm fan because the turbulence past 900 rpm is unfortunate.

Edited for typos.

Ye thats true, so the cutout in the bottom lined up perfectly with the rubber mounting i see?

My test wasn't very scientific because I had a messed up thermal paste application on the l9i during the test. Only realized after I removed it to put in the c7cu. I'm too lazy to retest the l9i with better thermal paste coverage, but at least the entire die was covered.

Here's some pics of my thermal paste coverage on the l9i and c7cu.
View attachment 68940
View attachment 68941
Don't worry, the plastic was removed (y)

Test conditions: 25c ambient, NT-H1 and a9x14 used on both heatsinks, TDP set to 120w, fan speed set to max (2.5k), vcore 1.04, all core 4.3ghz, prime95 8k inplace FFTs for 10 mins inside dan a4sfx v2, no mods apart from delid and hwmonitor was reset a few minutes into the test to clear idle values.

Test results:
L9i (potentially bad paste coverage):
View attachment 68942

C7cu:
View attachment 68943

C7cu
Pros: 45c ΔT
Cons: Turbulence starting from 1.3k rpm /w a9x14 and x2 the weight of alu verison.
View attachment 68944
where did you get those clips to hold a noctua fan on the c7

Can someone explain how you are supposed to mount a 120mm radiator on the A4-SFXv2? (GPU side) On the compatibilities page it says "Installation on included AIO bracket" - what bracket is this?

Test conditions: 25c ambient, NT-H1 and a9x14 used on both heatsinks, TDP set to 120w, fan speed set to max (2.5k), vcore 1.04, all core 4.3ghz, prime95 8k inplace FFTs for 10 mins inside dan a4sfx v2, no mods apart from delidded 8700k with CLU inside and hwmonitor was reset a few minutes into the test to clear idle values.

Test results:
L9i (bad paste coverage):
View attachment 68942

L9i retest (good paste coverage):
View attachment 70247

C7 Cu:
View attachment 68943

C7cu
Pros: 45c ΔT
Cons: Turbulence starting from 1.3k rpm /w a9x14 and x2 the weight of alu verison.
View attachment 68944

The turbulence on c7cu with a9x14 was getting annoying, so I've gone back to the l9i till we can get windowed panels and raise the cpu clearance a bit.
I retested the l9i with more thermal paste and made sure the coverage was right. Forgot to take pics of the new thermal paste application, but it was fine this time.

Updated the previous post with the new results.
A few less degrees with the highest temp on the hottest core, but on average it was a lot cooler.

The turbulence on c7cu with a9x14 was getting annoying, so I've gone back to the l9i till we can get windowed panels and raise the cpu clearance a bit.
I retested the l9i with more thermal paste and made sure the coverage was right. Forgot to take pics of the new thermal paste application, but it was fine this time.

A few less degrees with the highest temp on the hottest core, but on average it was a lot cooler.

Getting annoying lol?
What rpm are you having the fan, my C7Cu with stock fan, for now until i get my boxed 92x14mm noctua, at 25-30% are inaudbile...

Apologies for the imposition, but is there a chance you could also check on the original fan that cam with the c7cu? Or is that result known?

Getting annoying lol?
What rpm are you having the fan, my C7Cu with stock fan, for now until i get my boxed 92x14mm noctua, at 25-30% are inaudbile...

Turbulence starts at 1.3k rpm and mine is usually in the 1.4k-1.6k range while in load with my fan curve.
On the l9i there's much more clearance and the fan is very hard to hear till 1.8k rpm, even max 2.5k rpm is A LOT quieter.

It's true though I could set the c7 cu fan curve to always be below 1.3k rpm and it would be inaudible.

Apologies for the imposition, but is there a chance you could also check on the original fan that cam with the c7cu? Or is that result known?

There are a couple of guys who have tested c7 cu with stock fan on smallformfactor forums. I can't really test mine right now because I'm travelling soonand going to be away from the heatsink for a while.

Just FYI, there's 5% cash back if you order with paypal and you use your chase freedom card.

DAN Cases – Hall of Fame Voting

I like to thank everyone for sending me so many great pictures. Too bad not everyone can be in this voting so don’t be sad if your picture is not in the list. The selection was very hard, but these are the best 12 pictures in my opinion.

My choice was made based on image quality, creativity and build execution. Now it is your turn! Please rate the pictures so we can find the best ones. Every picture can be rated by a value between 1 and 5. 1 is the lowest score and 5 the highest. Please take your time and enjoy the pictures.

I wish you much fun.

PS: The voting will end in 14 days.

intro_1200_black6iugz.jpg

Link to Voting

With best regards

Daniel Hansen

Last edited:
Oh wow, a wood covered Dan a4...thanks for making us wait almost a year for your rubbish "contest". Wow. Seriously??? WOOD VINYL???? BIG let down.

So... you must vote as you see each image before proceeding to the next. You can't view them all before voting. And the order appears to fixed, not random.
Dan, I think this process will bias the results. How do I baseline my curve? What defines a three vs a four, and won't that change by the time I reach the end?

Sorry to be a downer. Stack-ranking is the best way to do this. If not possible, then let folks view the full set of images first.
(larger pics would be nice, too)

Reactions: Burr
like this
I'm kind of disappointed in most of the cases shown as most of them just have custom cables and unmodified coolers. There are some nice water builds, but was hoping to see some awesome custom paint jobs or mods.

I agree with you there.....

Mine didn't make it into the competition, but I'm super proud of how it turned out.

The other WOODAN case in the contest got my top vote. Looks very nice. I'd love to know how they approached cutting the holes in the vinyl. My method was a lot of Netflix and a thin filing tool :)

20180429_DAN_01.jpg 20180429_DAN_02.jpg 20180429_DAN_03.jpg

Last edited:
Back