DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

2.5 HDD uninstalled. Noctua fan installed.

A little cable management...But they are really pain in the @#$. Sleeved cables MUST be purchased to get rid of these...

Cherry Dude Was it a complete set of these accessories or you bought them separately? And how much did it cost?

Attachments

• f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 146
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 136
Hi Don,
I thought so,
but probably my build needs a 600W:
i9 7920X+1080 TI...plus this and that...
...or not?
(SF600 was just in da house from previous build ;))

500W should be enough. 250W GPU + ~150-200W CPU.

500W should be enough. 250W GPU + ~150-200W CPU.
Ok Don,
pcpartpicker tell me i can't...but we know, it's not the bible...
So, in a next feauture, maybe i'll cooling gpu too, changing cooling configuration and psu (y)

Seems we literally have the same build on the fundamental level, but you still have turbulence from the base fan upwards of 40% speed with your wires much tidier above the fan then mine are? That's troublesome. Think it could possibly be the Noctua rubber mounts then?

It could certainly be them, as I had a little trouble putting them in. Thanks for the tip, will give it a look.

I want to renew my question about i7-8700K and asetek 92mm AIO and temperatures....

I didn't benchmarked the cpu/gpu. I'm using games for instead. In PCars2 (2550*1440 full details, 100fps (sync)) I got nearly 78-80°C @CPU with almost only 25% load (1-2 cores) @ ~4200MHz. This seems to me as to high.

Are there temps of a system public? I want to know if I've to change some core-voltage settings or make the delid of the cpu again...

I bought seperatly. Well, including the tool and more materials than I needed, it came to about €35 ≈ $43. Not too bad I think.

Where did you source the parts, the plugs and pins especially? Are the plugs specific to this PSU or are they standard to Corsair? Really keen to make my own cables but I can't find the parts anywhere :(

I want to renew my question about i7-8700K and asetek 92mm AIO and temperatures....

I didn't benchmarked the cpu/gpu. I'm using games for instead. In PCars2 (2550*1440 full details, 100fps (sync)) I got nearly 78-80°C @CPU with almost only 25% load (1-2 cores) @ ~4200MHz. This seems to me as to high.

Are there temps of a system public? I want to know if I've to change some core-voltage settings or make the delid of the cpu again...
Surprised nobody responded to your first post. I do not have a 8700k, however I did delid my 7700k and my wife's 4770k. Your temps seem too high for sure.. How did you delid it? Did you use a silicone to keep the heat spreader on or did you just put it on top with the cpu cooler clamping down on it? If you did use the method with the silicone gasket I hope you didn't make a full seal all around as the heat/gas needs a place to come out.

Where did you source the parts, the plugs and pins especially? Are the plugs specific to this PSU or are they standard to Corsair? Really keen to make my own cables but I can't find the parts anywhere :(
I got my parts from shakemods but another user also recommended highflow - note these are Europe-based.
Others should feel free to correct me, but pins and plugs are completely generic - you just have to make sure to get plugs with the right number of sockets and layout (It is in the product name, but still be aware of the difference like the two at the end of the post)
Hope that makes somewhat sense.

481918612.jpg 481918617.jpg

Surprised nobody responded to your first post. I do not have a 8700k, however I did delid my 7700k and my wife's 4770k. Your temps seem too high for sure.. How did you delid it? Did you use a silicone to keep the heat spreader on or did you just put it on top with the cpu cooler clamping down on it? If you did use the method with the silicone gasket I hope you didn't make a full seal all around as the heat/gas needs a place to come out.

Thats an interesting fact with the full seal... I'll retry the delid now another time.

It could certainly be them, as I had a little trouble putting them in. Thanks for the tip, will give it a look.

Bollocks, I should have waited for you. Or at least my Cablemod stuff. In my effort screwing the fan in today with the Dan drive bay rubber mounts (they're thick enough for fan screws and won't go otherwise) I've bored out one of the A9's fan screw holes and it still isn't mounted completely straight on another, dropped a case screw on dark blue carpet under a low bed 3 times (missing one still), and then found out that the fan can't spin anyway because the wires are so thick and such a mess, and how they were arranged before with the fan spinning and the side panel not bulging out must have been a miracle. So now I just have the fan unplugged. It'll have to wait now I guess

Last edited:

As readeh said make sure you leave a gap like was in the original silicone, gas needs to escape. I have a dellidded 8700k and while I am not using the Asetek 92mm AIO I am using a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 which is not a big cooler. Max temps I get are 75C after 30 mins of Prime95. Gaming temps are mid 40s to mid 50s.

Still waiting on my mobo and other parts but i decided to try and tackle the issue of cable management with the psu, after removing the top mounting bracket I found that at least for my sf600 it could be rotated 90 degrees and mounted to the front face of the case (needed to drill 2 3mm holes), letting me route all my cabling to the right instead of down directly towards the motherboard, this removes the problem of the fan hitting the psu cables and should allow for very neat cabling. Need to see what its like with the mobo and ram installed but because of the shape of the psu not being square there should be enough room for everything.
IMG_20180130_201552523.jpg IMG_20180130_201609483.jpg IMG_20180130_211504698.jpg IMG_20180130_211549275.jpg IMG_20180130_213019853.jpg IMG_20180130_213144022.jpg IMG_20180130_213150308.jpg IMG_20180130_213227969.jpg IMG_20180130_213253023.jpg IMG_20180130_215939034.jpg

Still waiting on my mobo and other parts but i decided to try and tackle the issue of cable management with the psu, after removing the top mounting bracket I found that at least for my sf600 it could be rotated 90 degrees and mounted to the front face of the case (needed to drill 2 3mm holes), letting me route all my cabling to the right instead of down directly towards the motherboard, this removes the problem of the fan hitting the psu cables and should allow for very neat cabling. Need to see what its like with the mobo and ram installed but because of the shape of the psu not being square there should be enough room for everything.

Very interesting, please post some pictures as soon as you have a build with MoBo and cables.

Specific!
10 Pin ATX + 8 pin ATX > Type 4

View attachment 52260 View attachment 52261 View attachment 52262 View attachment 52263 View attachment 52264 View attachment 52265 View attachment 52266 View attachment 52267 View attachment 52268 View attachment 52269

Trying this conf just this morning! (but doesn't work with my mobo):)
Yes, there's no space in this Dan A4...but a lot of soltuion !(y)

Last edited:
View attachment 52260 View attachment 52261 View attachment 52262 View attachment 52263 View attachment 52264 View attachment 52265 View attachment 52266 View attachment 52267 View attachment 52268 View attachment 52269

Yes, please update when you're good to go - I had this problem had needed to flip the PSU 180 so its fan was facing the GPU. Not ideal, but workable. This seems like a more elegant solution. I believe someone else on this forum drilled mounting holes too, so props to you all for going the extra mile.

I have some questions around the cooler configuration with an Asus Strix motherboard. The LP53 seems to be the leader in terms of cooling, and I understand running an 8700 will need some fairly solid cooling. However, I understand the LP53 won't fit on the Strix without removing the various headsinks? I did consider an ASRock board, but the one that had everything I need has the M.2 socket on the rear, which isn't ideal for managing the heat of the SSD. Would a Noctua NH-Li9 be a good alternative for cooling the 8700? I don't plan on doing any OC'ing, but I do plan to run many of the upcoming VR titles.

marktuk - Did you get an answer on if the LP53 would work on the ASUS Strix z370-I without removing the heat-sinks? I've heard of this, but would also be interested in confirming. I'm re-evaluating going with the ASRock board, as availability in my area is terrible where the ASUS is widely available and cheaper.

I am also considering the i7-8700... but am fairly certain the Li9 is not sufficient enough (borderline).

As readeh said make sure you leave a gap like was in the original silicone, gas needs to escape. I have a dellidded 8700k and while I am not using the Asetek 92mm AIO I am using a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 which is not a big cooler. Max temps I get are 75C after 30 mins of Prime95. Gaming temps are mid 40s to mid 50s.

I ´ve delid the cpu again. There was to less liquid metal and too much silicone... now I ´ve taken more liquid metal and lesser silicone. A gap in the silicone I ´ve now also included.

I ´m so silly and destroyed my fatalty board! I was not care enough about the cpu contacts at the socket.. some are now flat...

ah btw, I asked the Cryorig support about when we could expect the Cryorig C7 CU to be released, they told me "The approx time for releasing the copper C7 will be around March." - just thought I'd tell you guys about that, maybe someone else is waiting for the release of that cooler.

Man you guys are starting your builds already and I'm still waiting for my tracking number :(
hey, I feel you - worse than waiting for the tracking number (already got my case), is waiting for release of the hardware I want to use for my build tho ^^

Do you mean the cables that originally come with the Corsair PSU? They come glued together in a sort of ribbon so will you just split them up individually? Looking at them you could easily add your own colour sheath to personalise it a bit! How much was the crimping tool?

Yeah the cables are separatable. Just hold the ends that aren't stuck to each other and pull em apart! The crimping tool I got was 22 dollars from Newegg

marktuk - Did you get an answer on if the LP53 would work on the ASUS Strix z370-I without removing the heat-sinks? I've heard of this, but would also be interested in confirming. I'm re-evaluating going with the ASRock board, as availability in my area is terrible where the ASUS is widely available and cheaper.

I am also considering the i7-8700... but am fairly certain the Li9 is not sufficient enough (borderline).

There was a completed build at pcpartpicker that had stock i7-8700 and Li9 to cool it. link: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hhFtt6
CPU Idle: 30 C, Max: 90 C

Uhm if the Li9 can handle the 8700 can the C7 do it aswell? Might settle for an 8500 if not since I'm using it just for pure mmo gaming.

Edit:might even consider zen+ if my case takes more than a month before it arrives.

thed00d
I just want my case so bad xD

Last edited:
Some real nice DIY custom cables in this thread, do you guys use 16 or 18 awg wires? Any specific standard required? (Like UL 1007 etc)
Any good links for pins, connectors, paracord/sleeves?

Thanks!

There was a completed build at pcpartpicker that had stock i7-8700 and Li9 to cool it. link: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hhFtt6
CPU Idle: 30 C, Max: 90 C
Thanks for the link! Nice to see a recent build example and their results.

I stand corrected on the L9i... it is only the Coffee Lake K processors with a TDP higher than 65W that is no good as per the Noctua cooler spec. Oddly enough, the spec does show it’s good with some 91W Kaby Lake processors.

https://noctua.at/en/nh_l9i_tdp_guidelines

Now I’m second guessing going with the LP53... although I’m sure I won’t have thermal issues with it as a solution. It would be nice to know if I have to modify the ASUS board if I end up going with that.

Some real nice DIY custom cables in this thread, do you guys use 16 or 18 awg wires? Any specific standard required? (Like UL 1007 etc)
Any good links for pins, connectors, paracord/sleeves?

Thanks!

DIY CABLES is a serious thing, everyone who want to try must buy one of this for first:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B001RTM63W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So you can check your cables without burning anything...
I love sleeving cables, but there are a lot of different paracord, a lot of them are too much fat or hard to handle,
and for this tiny build i think that thin & soft is the way to go...
I just started with some extentions i had at home (everything comes back m8!),
i like very much Silverstone/Bitfenix extentions cause they are thin (just fatter than corsair sleeve kit ) but really soft and easy to handle.
and they are chip (i bought them almost 3 years ago :)) today you should pay less than 10€ for a 30cm ATX and you got 24 soft sleeved cables (y)
Connectors are just in your hand, you have the disgusting liquorice cable that you bought with your psu...but if you don't want:
https://pexonpcs.co.uk/collections/all/connectors?page=1
Here you can buy connectors (in us you have a lot of choice where to buy, in EU less less less)
Note: every atx pin extractor is a pain:cry:
Good sleeving ! (y)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: dglow
like this
For everyone putting their builds together - how is the "turbulence" noise for CPU coolers whose fan is immediately behind the sidepanel (such as the LP35 + fan, NH-L9i)? It's my understanding that Dan's HSLP-48 was designed with the fan *under* the heatsink to minimize this turbulence noise. I haven't settled on a cooler yet, so I'm just using the stock cooler for now - but I have to imagine that any aftermarket cooler would have better noise than this, regardless of the arrangement?

No Chance! The Most boards will have their Powerplugs direct before the plugs of the rotated psu. I‘ve tested it yesterday with my Asrock. The 90 degrees aren‘t possible.

The 180 degrees are not so good for temps! The Output from psu direct as Input for cpu cooling- no!

No Chance! The Most boards will have their Powerplugs direct before the plugs of the rotated psu. I‘ve tested it yesterday with my Asrock. The 90 degrees aren‘t possible.

The 180 degrees are not so good for temps! The Output from psu direct as Input for cpu cooling- no!
Well i'm receiving my Asus Z370 i today so i will test it in the case to see if there is space, i believe there is but i'll post pics once the board is in there :) may have to use some 90 deg plug adapters for the pcie 8 pin, we shall see....

Well i'm receiving my Asus Z370 i today so i will test it in the case to see if there is space, i believe there is but i'll post pics once the board is in there :) may have to use some 90 deg plug adapters for the pcie 8 pin, we shall see....

Just noticed today that you drill the case...well i hope this psu solution works with your mobo, but i have a bad feeling,
the space between mobo and psu is very close, no way to attach cables in psu, on my mobo, of course....
By the way, if your psu project doesn't work, you'll have 2 little hole for a better air circulation!
I think that in "modding mode" there are no rules,
but, it's better start drilling etc only when you have all the components in your hand,
i just think so ;)

Back