DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Hello... first time poster... I have three questions about this.

1. What is the preferred method of ordering this case and is pre-order necessary or can I wait until the case is in stock?

2. Is the riser ribbon capable of a full 75 watt throughput? (my video card has no external power).

3. Does the Skylake stock cooler fit this case (i5-6400)?

Thanks

Hello... first time poster... I have three questions about this.

1. What is the preferred method of ordering this case and is pre-order necessary or can I wait until the case is in stock?

2. Is the riser ribbon capable of a full 75 watt throughput? (my video card has no external power).

3. Does the Skylake stock cooler fit this case (i5-6400)?

Thanks

I don't think orders will be available until close to shipping, because those companies need to buy and receive the cases from dan before they can sell them.

The pcie-e riser can do it all! It's the best in the business!

I think the i5-6400 will fit because it's tiny!

OMG, I just realized the Corsair RM650X is a ATX (facepalm)!

I made a mistake of thinking it would be a sfx-l type. LoL

But I‘m right with the AIO only a SFX (Not L) is the one I‘ve to choose?

Shaav has told me yet to take the sfx, but I‘m not sure if he might have seen only the atx and sfx in my possible builds. May a sfx-l also be possible with the AIO?

Thank you illram for your thoughts about ASUS/asrock

Just got the asrock. Tomorow I‘ll get the ASUS too. Then I will decide. But the asrock might be the one

Last edited:
OMG, I just realized the Corsair RM650X is a ATX (facepalm)!

I made a mistake of thinking it would be a sfx-l type. LoL

But I‘m right with the AIO only a SFX (Not L) is the one I‘ve to choose?

Shaav has told me yet to take the sfx, but I‘m not sure if he might have seen only the atx and sfx in my possible builds. May a sfx-l also be possible with the AIO?

Thank you illram for your thoughts about ASUS/asrock

Just got the asrock. Tomorow I‘ll get the ASUS too. Then I will decide. But the asrock might be the one
Only sfx psu's are compatible with the aio

How many actually removed these ugly ass Asus z720i vrm heatsinks? I heard that some people did that and apparently its safe as these heatsinks are basically just eye candy trash?

I know of a few folks at this point who seem to be fine in that regard on that board. I'll be following suit on the z170i when the v2 comes, though it's possible to source some aftermarket mosfet heatsinks if you're worried (just a case of finding some that fit)

Having followed the thread for a few months now, I have to ask something. Why is everyone going for the 1080 Ti FTW3 over the cheaper SC2? Is it really that much better, or is there an incompatibility I've failed to notice?

I‘ve Choosen the 1080ti SC Gaming Black Edition

Funny: this card has a iCX cooler. The SC2 Card perhaps has more advertising about iCX at specs and package..

Last edited:
Why is everyone going for the 1080 Ti FTW3 over the cheaper SC2?

Because when you put an FTW3 in a Dan A4, it looks like this:

33908165304_752b22d505_h.jpg

That is all the reason you need

Strix isn't far behind in that regard, though you'd be limited to the 1060, 1070 and 1080 8gb model (The ones that are 2 slot rather then 2.5). I'll be rocking the 1080 in my own A4-SFX come January.

full.jpg

I swapped out my Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING for a Asus GeForce GTX 1080Ti Turbo a few days ago:

View attachment 46246

View attachment 46248

View attachment 46247

The same desk.. you must be the guy.

Ironically I'm going in the opposite direction. Swapped my 1060 Turbo for a 1080 A8G Strix and now I'm just waiting for the case. The Turbo's noise was just.. ugh. Grating my ears. Good enough excuse to upgrade at Black Friday.

How was the Strix in there?

Last edited:
Ah haha, wow, I didn't even realise that it was my picture you posted

The 1080 Strix didn't make as much noise as the Turbo, but there is a big difference in performance between the 1080 and the 1080Ti ...
When gaming, I'm either using headsets or AudiEngine A2+ so the extra noise of the Turbo doesn't bother me that much...

I have a not opened Dan Sfx v1 case here an now all my components ready for build...

Dan will send the dan sfx v2 from
january on.. I don‘t know exact, when he can sent all of the new cases... I was around #90 in the Kickstarter.

What would you do? Take First the v1 to build a air cooled variant. Install Software, make it ready and then Switch to the v2 case with aio cooling, when it will arrive me? Or wait until the v2?

I will sell the v1 at least. It will bring more Money if it will in a new untouched State, I‘m sure

Put your stuff together now without a case to make sure it works at least, so you can still return any of it within any return windows. You can leave the V1 pristine unopened that way for reselling if that's your plan.

All the babies are ready for the Dan Case that's coming on January, except for the Asetek 545LC that has not arrived yet (idk if it will fit together with the Trident Z Ram or if i will have to change the tubing).
Will be using the D Frame Mini as a surrogate mother and 3D Print a custom bracket for the PSU because i dont have a spare one for this case. (Only 1 of the SATA SSDs will fit on the DanA4 if the 545LC works)

p2RRbNt.jpg

nAf6eYY.jpg

Last edited:
Hm,

why didn't you order th
e i7-8700k @5,2 Ghz Ultra Edition? :D

Apart from this, the build seems to be operfect for Gaming!

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I have my Dan A4 case coming in January, like a lot of you I am assuming, and am starting to plan out my build. I think I am going to build it around the I5 8400 CPU (hopefully I can find one in January). I don't want to overclock because I don't really want to deal with temperature issues in this build. This is my first ITX build, and since the Dan case is pretty unique I wanted to ask for help choosing parts.

Is the Noctua NH-L9i still the best cooler for the Dan currently? I was hoping for the HSLP to make some more progress before it was time to build but that doesn't seem to be the case. I want to go with a midrange z370 board that has the most potential for parts (maybe once the hslp finally does come out I will switch out coolers) so I want to ensure that the mobo I choose will be compatible with that in the future. I don't need RGB or any of that crap. I would like, ideally, 2 m.2 slots but I can deal with one.

For RAM I am thinking about just doing some Corsair Vengeance. Will those fit under the Noctua cooler? Does the HSLP REQUIRE VLP profile ram? The GPU the build is getting is a hand-me-down Strix 1080 from my big build. I may get a SFX-L psu, even though its not totally necessary, just to save some sanity when building in such a tiny case.

Thanks for the help, as I'm pretty worried about getting some incompatible parts. I guess mostly I don't want to screw up with motherboard selection.

Fernando93 how much for everything??? And does it necessary to get asetek to have a quiet machine/ cool i7-8700k???
that i7-8700k ultra edition is like the silicon lottery from god in person, my friend has one and he waited like 2 months to get shipped to his door for like $1000 usd

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I have my Dan A4 case coming in January, like a lot of you I am assuming, and am starting to plan out my build. I think I am going to build it around the I5 8400 CPU (hopefully I can find one in January). I don't want to overclock because I don't really want to deal with temperature issues in this build. This is my first ITX build, and since the Dan case is pretty unique I wanted to ask for help choosing parts.

Is the Noctua NH-L9i still the best cooler for the Dan currently? I was hoping for the HSLP to make some more progress before it was time to build but that doesn't seem to be the case. I want to go with a midrange z370 board that has the most potential for parts (maybe once the hslp finally does come out I will switch out coolers) so I want to ensure that the mobo I choose will be compatible with that in the future. I don't need RGB or any of that crap. I would like, ideally, 2 m.2 slots but I can deal with one.

For RAM I am thinking about just doing some Corsair Vengeance. Will those fit under the Noctua cooler? Does the HSLP REQUIRE VLP profile ram? The GPU the build is getting is a hand-me-down Strix 1080 from my big build. I may get a SFX-L psu, even though its not totally necessary, just to save some sanity when building in such a tiny case.

Thanks for the help, as I'm pretty worried about getting some incompatible parts. I guess mostly I don't want to screw up with motherboard selection.

NH-L9i should be ok for the 8400. Best cooler was and still is the LP53 with a Noctua slim fan on top, I believe. But not sure you will need all of that for the 8400. NH-L9i has no RAM clearance issues.

Min Ahn: All preoders customer from Caseking or OverclockersUK that ordered before 30. June 2017 (the end of the Kickstarter campaign) will get the cases directly if the warehouse get the cases.
For all other preoders customers shipping will start mid-end January. So I have enough time to ship all EU cases.

Uh, I'm not 100% sure how to interpret this. I have my order placed from CaseKing before 30-JUN-17, so where will I get the case from "directly" and would this be before "mid-end January" as well?

Does the 1080 ti Kingpin fit in this case ? I know it has the same dimensions as the FTW3 (and it fits) but the Kingpin has the power connectors on the side, adding extra length to an already very long card...

Does the 1080 ti Kingpin fit in this case ? I know it has the same dimensions as the FTW3 (and it fits) but the Kingpin has the power connectors on the side, adding extra length to an already very long card...
There's around 1mm of overlapping of the 8 Pin Connector over the Plastic Cover of the Card.
In the worst case scenario (which is not enough space for cable bending), 90 degree 8 Pin Connectors will have to be used in order to make the Kingpin fit the Dan Case.

j2NcPuH.jpg

The truth is even with 90deg connectors it will probably not fit. Your best bet is to dremel a hole through the inner front frame so your PCIE cable can go through it into the GPU power connector. Or just use an FTW3 which will give you 99.999999% of the same performance when used in the Dan A4

Last edited:
Kann man eigentlich über dem Aio Asetek direkt vor der cpu noch nen Gehäuselüfter z.bsp am Seitenblech des dan a4 installieren? Hat das jemand gemacht?

I'm currently happily using my Oculus Rift headset which is connected to the backside of my DAN A4-SFX v1 case.
The Rift headset has a non-detachable cable that splits into a USB3 and HDMI cable - which is currently connected to my GTX1080Ti.

I'd like to connect the Rift headset to the front of my DAN A4-SFX case. This way, the non-detachable cable isn't under much stress when I'm using the Rift headset, and it can be easily plugged in and disconnected when not using the Rift headset.

Obviously I can use the front USB3 connector of the DAN A4-SFX case - it's connected to an internal USB3 connector on my motherboard.

I'm looking for a way to "make" a HDMI connector at the front of my DAN A4-SFX case.
I'm fine by having a cable running through the DAN A4-SFX case from the internal front to the backside, popping out at the back and connecting it to a HDMI connector of my GTX1080Ti.

But does anyone have an idea where I could get an HDMI female-male cable where I can connect the female end of that cable to a (new, to be drilled) hole in the front of the DAN A4-SFX case? I'd like this solution to be sturdy like the existing USB3 connector of the DAN A4-SFX case.

I would love something like this:

A-BL-C45--2T.gif.png

Last edited:
But does anyone have an idea where I could get an HDMI female-male cable where I can connect the female end of that cable to a (new, to be drilled) hole in the front of the DAN A4-SFX case? I'd like this solution to be sturdy like the existing USB3 connector of the DAN A4-SFX case.

Just search for "Panel mount HDMI Cable" in Amazon and you will find it.

Back