DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Hi Dondan,

Thanks for your work on the Dan A4 Case. I love this little case with great power.

For the V2 is it possible to lower the riser bracket of the graphics card ? with juste 0,5mm MSI Gaming Card will fit perfectly, 1 cm will be greater.

Thanks

dondan

I know you're busy, but it would be great to get a simple yes or no on the Power button situation.

Is it completely the same from V1? asking because of the review by LinusTechTips saying it's kind of wobbly without tactile feedback.

Thanks!

(backer#600ish :) )

1. Rubber feets instead of metal feets for better grip with the same look
2. 92mm case fan mount point if you not use the hdd bay ( will also support Asetek 92mm AIO)
3. A cover plate for the GPU mounting hole
4. Better centered USB front port
5. Stamp-in motherboard stand-off instead of screwed ones

I'm aware of the v2 tweaks.
I wanted to know if he looked into it or doesn't look at it as a problem.

dondan
Mounting a 15 mm hdd at the bottom section does not fit the screw hole. Is it possible to modify version 2?

Just use the hdd bay ;)

I don't get it. Do you mean screwing on the top of the bracket? The holes on the side of the bracket is too high for a 15mm drive. There's no way to screw it to the bottom of the case too.

23004476.jpg

Please give me the thumbs-up that even though the bottom bay is 15mm high, you had no intention of supporting a 15mm drive at the bottom in the first place, because there's no way to screw it in?

Gky8Bl6.png

dondan just likes to ignore me.
Maybe he doesnt like you? LOL jk. I found some luck when i tried pushing discussion on adding fan support below the psu stating there was room for a 92mm fan, and he said it was something he was thinking of too.

But i think now is definitely too late when he's already kickstarted the v.2 project.

I agree with the hard drive mount could have improved 15mm drive compatability.

Currently you have to mount the 15mm drive upside down if you put it in the bottom area. The drive pretty much touches the bottom of the case so the isolation from the rubber mounts doesn't work. I think it should be a couple of mm taller. I think this could be done for V2 maybe?

If the top hard drive is fitted in addition to the 15mm lower drive it faces the opposite direction so you need straight power and sata connectors, the ones like the Corsair power cables clash with each other if the drives are mounted in opposite orientations. These is a cabling issue of course but I think most power cables are like this?

Even if you could mount the 15mm drive the normal way up in the lower section it needs to allow for the thickness of the power connector too, so it would require further increased clearance above that needed if the 15mm drive is mounted upside down.

Personally I will mount my 15mm drive on top and a slimmer drive in the normal orientation underneath so I am ok for now.

If I need mount two 15mm drives in the future I will make a bracket. I think a split design which allows two drives to be mounted upside down is the best option requiring the least amount of vertical height.

I would have said this earlier when Dan was taking suggestions but I only built my case last week when I got my biostar motherboard. Maybe this could be a v3 improvement if Dan thinks it is a good idea. If you are interested Dan I will share my design with you but I'm sure you can figure out what I am talking about yourself ;)

Loving the case it is so compact, combined with my Ryzen 1700 it's just an amazing little workstation/gaming rig. Congratulations on your success!

TinySeth No changes to the power button. I think the most customers are fine with it.

cowsgomoo2 The drive bay was designed to fit 15mm drives also in the buttom location. Do you have a picture for me so I can see why it not fit? Plz give me also the name of the hdd you use.

Attachments

• IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1747.JPG
    IMG_1747.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 108
I removed my drive from a backup plus, no Warranty but cheaper ;) I did it pretty nearly, I reckon I could reassemble it and RMA it, there was no warranty seal or anything but it is hard not to damage the cover so I think they rely on that to determine if it has been opened.

Attachments

• IMAG0844.jpg
    IMAG0844.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMAG0839.jpg
    IMAG0839.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 123
Hi Dondan,

Thanks for your work on the Dan A4 Case. I love this little case with great power.

For the V2 is it possible to lower the riser bracket of the graphics card ? with juste 0,5mm MSI Gaming Card will fit perfectly, 1 cm will be greater.

Thanks
He wont listen, i did ask for this before... /facepalm/

He wont listen, i did ask for this before... /facepalm/
That's a thing i would like too. 99% of the GPU's out there will be too high and will not align with the side panel perforation and the button ones are not cooling anything (except the riser). I don't know if there is enough room to lower the whole GPU assembly (it might interfere with the PSU plug) but it will be a nice thing to have it centered on the side panel perforations.

That's a thing i would like too. 99% of the GPU's out there will be too high and will not align with the side panel perforation and the button ones are not cooling anything (except the riser). I don't know if there is enough room to lower the whole GPU assembly (it might interfere with the PSU plug) but it will be a nice thing to have it centered on the side panel perforations.

It's way too late for that. Plus it's just not worth it to fit another hand full of cards. I suggest you do your research when getting this case. Get components that are known to fit.

We tried suggesting this for the first iteration of the case and Dondan didn't want to change it. It's his case and his design so it's his call. It fits my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW just fine.

Wow, really? While looking at Prisjakt (The swedish PriceSpy site) it says that the RX 580 Nitro+ is 43mm (2,2 slots) thick (or wide I guess) and that the RX 570 Nitro+ is the same. But looking at for example pricespy.co.nz it says that RX 580 Nitro+ is 2,2 slots (without any measurement) while the RX 570 Nitro+ is 2 slots.

I had to google for a review and found some "Product photos" of the RX 570 Nitro+ in the Guru3D review and they sure look the same. The cooler shroud stands out a few millimeters more than the GPU bracket. I have to remount the GPU tonight and see if I can manage to get it to work after all. Now you really have gotten my hopes up, thanks! :)

Nope, the card is simply too thick. I decided to mount my old GPU so that I can start using my build until I have been able to return the card and get another one.

It's way too late for that. Plus it's just not worth it to fit another hand full of cards. I suggest you do your research when getting this case. Get components that are known to fit.

We tried suggesting this for the first iteration of the case and Dondan didn't want to change it. It's his case and his design so it's his call. It fits my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW just fine.

I have the first version of DAN case and i'm happy with it :)
It was just a thought.

How feasible would a 92mm radiator be in cooling both CPU and GPU? Obviously worse than 240mm+ that's usually used in that scenario but I don't need the fan to be running idle all the time and temperatures can go in the 80's just fine. Primarily interested in eliminating my noisy GPU cooler under load but given that takes a custom loop when going for a 92mm radiator, might as well get a second block if it's feasible. (980Ti + 6700K @ stock)

How feasible would a 92mm radiator be in cooling both CPU and GPU?

Not at all! :) That would almost certainly be a downgrade for you and also noisier. If you want a quieter graphics card, you'll need to sell it and buy one with a quieter cooler. In the old days you could buy aftermarket heatsinks, but there's no point now when gigantic heatsinks are standard.

Not at all! :) That would almost certainly be a downgrade for you and also noisier. If you want a quieter graphics card, you'll need to sell it and buy one with a quieter cooler. In the old days you could buy aftermarket heatsinks, but there's no point now when gigantic heatsinks are standard.
Already got that picture searching online :(
Maybe something like the asus poseidon an option? Combining a decent air cooler with the radiator. Too bad their 1080ti version is 2.5 slot. What marketing team is making those decisions, it's supposed to be watercooled ffs.
As for getting a better GPU cooler, I'm already running an MSI gaming x so little to gain there, unless getting a lower tdp card with volta/vega is an option, but that, running 4K, will take a few more generations I'm afraid.

Does the Gaming X fit in the Dan case? I heard it does not. If you have the case, could you confirm?
i saw in page around 50 to 60, someone had gaming 780 in the case. i dunno if gaming 1070 or 1080 would fit since they are tad bit thicker. Although the thickness comes from the back plate.. Once i get my v2, i will try it out.

Does the Gaming X fit in the Dan case? I heard it does not. If you have the case, could you confirm?
That's really easy to check, the dan case fits most cards as long as they are 2 slot. More specifically, I own a 980 ti gaming X, the 1080ti is 2.5 slot and will therefore NOT fit. It's seriously not that hard to check dimensions online is it? It's cards like Asus strix or EVGA FTW3 that technically go over the case's listed dimensions but only by a few millimeters where such question is valid.

dondan if you mean mount it upside down, that's what I've done.

Even if it were possible to mount it the right side up, the HDD is too flush with the case for the power cable to fit

Got my Custom-Sidepanels from Duke00 yesterday.

I´ve ordered them with 3mm, 5mm + 10mm frames. For now the 10mm frames are installed. The panels are blackish colored.

The card inside the case is actually the MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti ! It fits perfectly and has about 5mm extra space to breathe. The MSI X Ti is working nicely with ca. 1900Mhz and no heat issues, though the case itself gets quiet hot on the surface (about 50C) in worst case scenarios. But it´s all good´n´stable.

I also tried to install the Gigabyte Aorus Ti. Theoretically it´s possible if you´re ready to modify (damage) the crappy much too fat fan casing part here and there but it´s not recommendable anyway since the backplate is so damned thick it touches the metal and would therefore lead additional heat to the mainboard. Also the Aorus gets quiet hot and the advantage is such a little like 5% and I think it´s not worth it.

I´m really happy and satisfied with Dukes custom sidepanels. Could be improved here and there but hey, the result is so classy and shiny, wow, it really turns the A4-SFX into something new from my point of view. The extra space is so helpful for the air flow within the case, CPU is a few grades less hot in demanding scenarios. Now there is about 2cm space over the CPU fan: I´ll put an Ultra Sleek Vortex 140/15 there and I´m curious what the result will be. Anyway, one day I´ll probably swap the cpu cooler for a bigger, significantly better one, but for now I´m fed up with further work on this baby.

BTW: I think Dukes panels are wonderful, at least it looks like a great idea just to allow bigger GPUs and CPU coolers which both come with nice advantages. Most top Ti cards now are bigger than 2-Slot... And the air circulation within the case, let´s be honest, is not quiet perfect, is it? I feel pity about Dan not creating something similar. For sure, many people would love it. Don´t you think, too?

IMG_20170602_130400.jpg IMG_20170602_132314.jpg IMG_20170602_130351.jpg

IMG_20170602_130506.jpg IMG_20170602_130409.jpg

I´ve ordered them with 3mm, 5mm + 10mm frames. For now the 10mm frames are installed. The panels are blackish colored.

The card inside the case is actually the MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti ! It fits perfectly and has about 5mm extra space to breathe. The MSI X Ti is working nicely with ca. 1900Mhz and no heat issues, though the case itself gets quiet hot on the surface (about 50C) in worst case scenarios. But it´s all good´n´stable.

I also tried to install the Gigabyte Aorus Ti. Theoretically it´s possible if you´re ready to modify (damage) the crappy much too fat fan casing part here and there but it´s not recommendable anyway since the backplate is so damned thick it touches the metal and would therefore lead additional heat to the mainboard. Also the Aorus gets quiet hot and the advantage is such a little like 5% and I think it´s not worth it.

I´m really happy and satisfied with Dukes custom sidepanels. Could be improved here and there but hey, the result is so classy and shiny, wow, it really turns the A4-SFX into something new from my point of view. The extra space is so helpful for the air flow within the case, CPU is a few grades less hot in demanding scenarios. Now there is about 2cm space over the CPU fan: I´ll put an Ultra Sleek Vortex 140/15 there and I´m curious what the result will be. Anyway, one day I´ll probably swap the cpu cooler for a bigger, significantly better one, but for now I´m fed up with further work on this baby.

BTW: I think Dukes panels are wonderful, at least it looks like a great idea just to allow bigger GPUs and CPU coolers which both come with nice advantages. Most top Ti cards now are bigger than 2-Slot... And the air circulation within the case, let´s be honest, is not quiet perfect, is it? I feel pity about Dan not creating something similar. For sure, many people would love it. Don´t you think, too?

View attachment 26598 View attachment 26600 View attachment 26601

View attachment 26602 View attachment 26599

That's an incredible door design! Looks like one big outside spacer part, and then a vented panel glued on top? Really snazzy looking way to add space for taller coolers.

View attachment 26598 View attachment 26600 View attachment 26601

View attachment 26602 View attachment 26599

Amazing! I think you've got the best version of the Dan a4-sfx man! So much more cpu cooler choices and you can fit a Strix 1080ti! You could even try modding something like a pallas 140mm CPU cooler to make it fit. Maybe lol

Back