DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

What modular semi-passive PSU I should consider buying?
I need it to power 1060 and Ryzen 1700, so that's like 400 Watt PSU, and I'd love if it would use a temperature sensors to control it's fan

I've been reading this thread for quite a while and I am surely going to get the V2 of that case as soon as it's on kickstarter, but I got two questions about watercooling in this case.

I've seen dan himself and someone else doing different watercooling solutions, one with a full sized GPU and one with a smaller one. I have also seen people having quite hot mainboards, close to the CPU - is this due to the heat coming out of the headspreader (and will therefore not be a problem, if the CPU is watercooled) - or will I still need to cramp in an extra fan somewhere above the CPU to cool the MOSFETs, even if I watercool the CPU?

Also, on Dans solution (the one I personally prefer, because of the possibility to use full size GPUs) - will there be less space for storage devices, or did they get moved in V2 to a different position anyways? (planning to use my 256GB MX100 SSD (SATA) as boot drive, getting a 1TB MX300 M.2 as Game-SSD and 2 4-5TB HDDs as storage for my build)

I hope anybody here can help me out with these questions :)

Overclockers.co.uk replies to inquiries about the Dan A4-SFX with the following message:

We're Sorry
Unfortunately, we have to inform you that we have a delay in the production of the AF-SFX Dan Cases.
There will be a second Kickstarter campaign at the end of May, resulting in Overclockers UK customers
having to wait until the end of the campaign. The scheduled delivery period will now be delayed until
December 2017 - January 2018.
As compensation for the delay, your orders will receive a free Noctua 92mm NF-A9x14 PWM Fan (FG-015-NC)
& will be upgraded to the Version 2 of the A4-SFX, with the same appearance but including improvements including:

- Mountpoint for a 92mm fan
- Rubber case feet with better grip
- GPU mounting hole cover
- Stamped-in motherboard stand-offs

All pre-orders will be delivered at the same time as Kickstarter backers.

I've been reading this thread for quite a while and I am surely going to get the V2 of that case as soon as it's on kickstarter, but I got two questions about watercooling in this case.

I've seen dan himself and someone else doing different watercooling solutions, one with a full sized GPU and one with a smaller one. I have also seen people having quite hot mainboards, close to the CPU - is this due to the heat coming out of the headspreader (and will therefore not be a problem, if the CPU is watercooled) - or will I still need to cramp in an extra fan somewhere above the CPU to cool the MOSFETs, even if I watercool the CPU?

Also, on Dans solution (the one I personally prefer, because of the possibility to use full size GPUs) - will there be less space for storage devices, or did they get moved in V2 to a different position anyways? (planning to use my 256GB MX100 SSD (SATA) as boot drive, getting a 1TB MX300 M.2 as Game-SSD and 2 4-5TB HDDs as storage for my build)

I hope anybody here can help me out with these questions :)

if you water cool like dan, you'll be able to use one 2.5inch drive behind the front panel and as many m.2 ssds as your motherboard allows. maybe another ssd standing up somewhere around the psu but I'd doubt it.

if you water cool like dan, you'll be able to use one 2.5inch drive behind the front panel and as many m.2 ssds as your motherboard allows. maybe another ssd standing up somewhere around the psu but I'd doubt it.
But that asus 270i doesnt address the heat concerns for m.2 drives, the front slot is even hotter than the back one, interested in mobo temps when that cpu fan isnt dissipating heat directly on top on the mobo if a watercooled build is used.

hmm, I was afriad of that :/
I guess I need to wait until I got my hands on the Case before I can plan my storage and cooling solution...
Maybe Dan himself notices this post and can help me with that question - would be awesome to know if there is any chance I could cramp two 2,5inch drives into that case while using a watercooler (I can ditch one of my HDDs, hell, 1,25TB SSD and 5TB HDD storage should be enough anyways)

If you afraid of mb temps install a 92mm fan on the board with zip ties.
Oh, that's a good idea, thanks :D

Maybe Dan himself notices this post and can help me with that question - would be awesome to know if there is any chance I could cramp two 2,5inch drives into that case while using a watercooler (I can ditch one of my HDDs, hell, 1,25TB SSD and 5TB HDD storage should be enough anyways)
A 5TB 2.5" HDD is 15mm thick and can't fit behind the front panel. You can only fit a 2TB 9mm drive there.
Or you could use the 5TB HDD as an external USB connected drive.

A 5TB 2.5" HDD is 15mm thick and can't fit behind the front panel. You can only fit a 2TB 9mm drive there.
Or you could use the 5TB HDD as an external USB connected drive.
yeah I hoped I could fit 2 drives somewhere - that would be the 256GB SSD behind the front panel and the 5TB somewhere in the case, but it seems like I won't be able to do this, as dan said :/

Two 2.5" drives while using the 92mm aio is not possible.
aw :/ okay, I might just go with air-cooling then, unless there is some fancy small vega card coming up I don't know yet - in that case, I could watercool like that other guy did in the "show your builds" thread ^^

You are right I thought about it making a system with the Asrock MXM in a case with the size of a DIN A5 paper. I also made a design rendering some month ago and was in contact with ASRock, but I made the decision to drop that project because MXM is not really available for retail market. Furthermore I have a better idea that i will show in summer 2017.

a5-mxmscsgq.jpg

The dimensional ratio of the A4 is the most aesthetically pleasing of all current sffpc option, if your watercooled version shares that feature it will be very popular.

I am interested.

A SFF built from the ground-up to maximise use of water cooling would be new to the case market. Look at the Corsair One, if we had something but more custom for the self-builder, that would be awesome.

You are right I thought about it making a system with the Asrock MXM in a case with the size of a DIN A5 paper. I also made a design rendering some month ago and was in contact with ASRock, but I made the decision to drop that project because MXM is not really available for retail market. Furthermore I have a better idea that i will show in summer 2017.

a5-mxmscsgq.jpg
Definitely excited with your next release. You're doing awesome work, man. Keep it up.

Sweet! How long approx. will it take before you have them in hand, and can prepare to test thermal performance?

Do you have any plans for how to evaluate them?

I don't know maybe 2-3 weeks.

I will test it with three setups:

Intel i7 7700k
Intel i7 5820k
Ryzen 1700X

I will test it with the following fans:

120mm Noctua A12x15
120mm Scythe Slip Stream Slim 2000 RPM
100mm CoolJag
100mm Scythe Kaze Jyu Slim 2000
92mm Noctua L9i

Against the following heatsinks:

Noctua L9i
Cryorig C7
Cooltek LP53
Thermalright AXP 100
Dynatron T318

Intel i7 7700k
Intel i7 5820k
Ryzen 1700X

120mm Noctua A12x15
100mm CoolJag
92mm Noctua L9i

Noctua L9i
Cryorig C7
Cooltek LP53
Thermalright AXP 100
Dynatron T318

Why not express ship it ?

2 weeks are normal from China with normal shipping No express

Intel i7 7700k
Intel i7 5820k
Ryzen 1700X

120mm Noctua A12x15
100mm CoolJag
92mm Noctua L9i

Noctua L9i
Cryorig C7
Cooltek LP53
Thermalright AXP 100
Dynatron T318

This is a great test setup. I have one question regarding the fans. Will you test them at max rpm, or will you throttle some of them so that they are equally load?

Only the HSLP-48 will be tested with different fan speeds on the A12x15 and A9x14. I like to test three noiselevels audible (max. speed), acceptable and silent.

Testing all of them with the same noiselevel is very hard because everyone has a different noise characteristic. I will only made a temp comparison on max speed.

That's really pretty. I can't wait!

Although... The mounting system is still making me a little nervous. It looks like it'll be better than the godawful NH-L12, but I reserve judgement till I see how much better. That cooler has scarred me for life, I think. :p

it was a really hot day here 90+ farenheight and i think my gpu overheated in my a4 case while gaming
evga gtx 1070 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487248

Im thinking to buy another gpu while i try to rma this one because I don't want to wait

You think a founders edition card (blower) will keep cooler in a a4 case than the 3rd party style with multiple fans?
https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Video-Gr...UTF8&qid=1495145520&sr=1-19&keywords=gtx+1080

https://www.amazon.com/GeForce-Gami...ywords=asus+geforce+gtx+1080+ti+turbo+edition

When i put my hand on my case it was normal temperature everywhere except for in the top in the back quarter of the case where it felt very hot to the touch -

I have done this quiet setup on my dan a4:
LP53 with a9x14 fan, 4mm standoffs, quiet adapter
(cpu runs super quiet now)

looking for coolest high end gpu for dan a4 or a mod that cools top back of case or blows on graphics card

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back