DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

am I the only one that thinks a window kit with no cutout is the best looking one?

zi6Rkl5.jpg

Guys,

Dan's survey includes an option for saying 'i am not interested in a window kit' so if you are not interested in it for whatever reason, please vote as well. Reason is because I dont want to see dan commit to this only to have it not do well in terms of profit because too few people eventually bought it.

Personally i was very keen on it when first discussed but after seeing the looks and big impact on thermals, I will personally not be buying it. Lets give Dan a picture as accurate as possible and vote in the survey even if we are not interested in and not buying the window kit

wow with this new case. there might be a possibility to water cool the video card... imo.. hopefully dan... can give it a test on an 1080/1080 TI and give it a shot....

or can you raise the 3m connector on the video card a bit more higher? so that there will be more space below for a thicker fan??

that would result in worse performance because the radiator heatsink he tested is smaller than the heatpipe heatsink on big graphics cards. DAN A4-SFX does not have a lack of space for video cards, and so does not need water cooling for video cards!

I had to use the 3.0 front connector on my ASUS z270i to connect the Corsair Lighting Node...anyone know how I can connect the front USB so that I may also use that? Is there a splitter I can use or a 3.0 to 3.1 adapter?

A4-SFX v2 preview

Today I got two samples of the A4-SFX v2 and some window kit samples. So I spend the day to do many tests. I installed the Asetek 92mm AIO (545LC), did temperature tests with the window kits and I tested the new 92mm FAN mount point.

Carton

Let us start with a preview of the new cartons. I love the carton of the window kit, it is thin and has a good quality.

img_42228wu9z.jpg

Asetek 92mm AIO (545LC)

At first I have to say the installation of the AIO is very hard and it took over an hour to find the perfect routing for the cables. It’s worth the trouble! At first I removed the two Lian Li push clips because the radiator is thicker than 92mm. Furthermore I removed the front USB port, because it will not fit without modding it. And I had to remove the plastic shield because I don’t want to cut it to fit. So you need a GPU with a backplate for this mod. After removing nearly everything XD I installed the radiator without the fan, because you will have more space to plug-in the PSU wires. You are restricted to a normal SFX PSU. After an hour of routing wires I installed the fan and the other components.

img_41888cu61.jpg

img_4189ajuld.jpg

img_4191tuucc.jpg

Here are the temperature results. I was able to clock my 6 core i7 to 4Ghz with good temperatures in Prime95. The noise level is very low in comparison to the Dynatron T318.

aio_temp5nu7x.jpg

Window Kit test and case FAN test

I am very happy with the new windows kits and I tend towards the DAN cutout version because it looks more elegant. But it will be your decision I will start a survey/poll in the next two hours, that will end on Tuesday. Here are some pictures of the new panels:

DAN Cutout:

img_4204edu6a.jpg

img_4210ieupa.jpg

Slot Cutout:

img_419873u7x.jpg

img_4195dludq.jpg

If you remember my last test of the first window kit you know that I had to add the cutouts for better temps. After the last hours I can say the temps are better but not on the same level with the default panels. I also made all tests with a case fan on the new mount point. I used a Noctua A9x14 fan. I am very impressed about the results with the case fan. So I recommend a 92mm case fan for the window kit if you plan to install a CPU with a TDP > 65W. Also with default panels installed you will have better temps with a case fan installed. I will add a test with case fan in blow out mode later.

window_cpu_tempimubq.jpg

window_gpu_tempbiuig.jpg

Some words:

I really like the new rubber feets the case has so much more grip. No slide on smooth surfaces while pushing the power button. Also the cover for the GPU mounting hole looks very great. I also love the stamped-in motherboard stand-offs because they stay in position forever while unscrewing the motherboard.

Thank you for reading.

With best regards

Daniel

Dondan any chanses to order the new rubber feet to V1 Case, i know that it sell.

Dan has mentioned before, the thermals are very bad with this design

What if the glass was raised off the panel and not flush? Like 2mm of clearance or more, wouldn't that provide airflow while keeping the aesthetic?
YEwuhJc.png

Simalar to the Crystal-series-570x where there is a bit of a gap.

What if the glass was raised off the panel and not flush?
That was already the case with his original design und still is the case with the versions from the survey; the main problem is that the channeling principle of this case (cold air in on the side, hot air out at the top/back) gets muddled with any type of raised side panel. Cut-outs in the acrylic at least mitigate this effect somewhat.

In the past I would carefully make a circular cut out for a fan and 4 holes for the fan mounting. A simple wire fan grill to prevent any accidents of course.

I am personal gonna make a custom loop with the fractal one, the reason for that is the fittings are placed on the sides of the block instead ontop like on the bequite one , it will prob cause some clearance issue with the side panel :)
I want to try that, but I dont know what radiator choose

I want to try that, but I dont know what radiator choose

I dont know the spec for the Asetek one but i have both teh Alphacool 92mm (45mm thick) and Black ice nemesis 92mm (54mm thick) radiator in my cabinet tho i think the asetek is thinner and those pic dondan have showed us with the AIO there are not much space at the bottom there.

probably 30mm its posible but 45mm...
We can raise up the gpu a little to fit a bigger rad.

Hey, everyone! I think this might be the first Ryzen build in the case. I am either getting Vega, or maybe an RX 580, but currently am using my Sapphire 7970. I think it's a 2.5 slot card, because the fan shroud was bumping up against the case and I had to cut a bit off in order to seat the card in the riser. For whatever reason, the mounting holes for the card would not fully align with the case so I zip tied it down. Point being, it was a bit tricky to get the card in and I can't even put on the side panel due to it being a 2.5 slot card. On the other side, I am using the stock cooler which is way too tall so I can't put the other side panel on either. (n) I have a Noctua NH-L9a on the way, and they tell me their AM4 bracket for it is about to be released so hopefully in a few weeks I can put the CPU side's panel on. (y)

The build album can be found here.

afQxkKfg.jpg

FR5Nxqjg.jpg

QPEJeuFg.png

Hey, everyone! I think this might be the first Ryzen build in the case. I am either getting Vega, or maybe an RX 580, but currently am using my Sapphire 7970. I think it's a 2.5 slot card, because the fan shroud was bumping up against the case and I had to cut a bit off in order to seat the card in the riser. For whatever reason, the mounting holes for the card would not fully align with the case so I zip tied it down. Point being, it was a bit tricky to get the card in and I can't even put on the side panel due to it being a 2.5 slot card. On the other side, I am using the stock cooler which is way too tall so I can't put the other side panel on either. (n) I have a Noctua NH-L9a on the way, and they tell me their AM4 bracket for it is about to be released so hopefully in a few weeks I can put the CPU side's panel on. (y)

The build album can be found here.

afQxkKfg.jpg

FR5Nxqjg.jpg

QPEJeuFg.png
The big question I have is how have you found the motherboard, is it stable and what speed have you got the ram running at, I was going to buy the same ram. I'm sure you probably have everything at their defaults so maybe you could report back in a few days or a week. I suspect a lot of people, myself included, will probably buy this board! That's going to be a really nice build when you get the new cooler and GPU :)

Even at 299mm...it has a very good chance of fitting

EVGA's new official number (the 4th time they changed their damn product data) of 11.37 inches is 289mm.

That would be a guaranteed fit in the A4

Even at 299mm...it has a very good chance of fitting

EVGA's new official number (the 4th time they changed their damn product data) of 11.37 inches is 289mm.

That would be a guaranteed fit in the A4

It is not EVGAs fault, it is hard to measure something to a precision of 1mm especially if you have the CAD files which probably specify the length to an accuracy of +/- 0.1mm. xD

The big question I have is how have you found the motherboard, is it stable and what speed have you got the ram running at, I was going to buy the same ram. I'm sure you probably have everything at their defaults so maybe you could report back in a few days or a week. I suspect a lot of people, myself included, will probably buy this board! That's going to be a really nice build when you get the new cooler and GPU :)

Still fiddling around with it. For some reason, I get no video out when I have this computer plugged into my monitor, but it works when I hook it up to the TV in the living room. If anyone has suggestions on why this might be and how to fix it I would be thrilled to hear them. I used the 3200Mhz XMP profile and it seems to have simply worked. RAM at 1.366V, but when booting the computer sometimes it power cycles a few times so maybe it's not so stable. Though, once it actually boots it seems solid. I will try manually entering timings and get back to you on that. I think this is a good kit for the motherboard.

Still fiddling around with it. For some reason, I get no video out when I have this computer plugged into my monitor, but it works when I hook it up to the TV in the living room. If anyone has suggestions on why this might be and how to fix it I would be thrilled to hear them. I used the 3200Mhz XMP profile and it seems to have simply worked. RAM at 1.366V, but when booting the computer sometimes it power cycles a few times so maybe it's not so stable. Though, once it actually boots it seems solid. I will try manually entering timings and get back to you on that. I think this is a good kit for the motherboard.

What cables are you using to connect to each?

What cables are you using to connect to each?

I have been using a miniDP -> HDMI cable for the monitor before I built the new 'puter using the old graphics card. I used an HDMI cable to hook it up to the TV, so I used that same cable with the monitor but no such luck.

A4-SFX v2 preview

Today I got two samples of the A4-SFX v2 and some window kit samples. So I spend the day to do many tests. I installed the Asetek 92mm AIO (545LC), did temperature tests with the window kits and I tested the new 92mm FAN mount point.

Carton

Let us start with a preview of the new cartons. I love the carton of the window kit, it is thin and has a good quality.

img_42228wu9z.jpg

Asetek 92mm AIO (545LC)

At first I have to say the installation of the AIO is very hard and it took over an hour to find the perfect routing for the cables. It’s worth the trouble! At first I removed the two Lian Li push clips because the radiator is thicker than 92mm. Furthermore I removed the front USB port, because it will not fit without modding it. And I had to remove the plastic shield because I don’t want to cut it to fit. So you need a GPU with a backplate for this mod. After removing nearly everything XD I installed the radiator without the fan, because you will have more space to plug-in the PSU wires. You are restricted to a normal SFX PSU. After an hour of routing wires I installed the fan and the other components.

img_41888cu61.jpg

img_4189ajuld.jpg

img_4191tuucc.jpg

Here are the temperature results. I was able to clock my 6 core i7 to 4Ghz with good temperatures in Prime95. The noise level is very low in comparison to the Dynatron T318.

aio_temp5nu7x.jpg

Window Kit test and case FAN test

I am very happy with the new windows kits and I tend towards the DAN cutout version because it looks more elegant. But it will be your decision I will start a survey/poll in the next two hours, that will end on Tuesday. Here are some pictures of the new panels:

DAN Cutout:

img_4204edu6a.jpg

img_4210ieupa.jpg

Slot Cutout:

img_419873u7x.jpg

img_4195dludq.jpg

If you remember my last test of the first window kit you know that I had to add the cutouts for better temps. After the last hours I can say the temps are better but not on the same level with the default panels. I also made all tests with a case fan on the new mount point. I used a Noctua A9x14 fan. I am very impressed about the results with the case fan. So I recommend a 92mm case fan for the window kit if you plan to install a CPU with a TDP > 65W. Also with default panels installed you will have better temps with a case fan installed. I will add a test with case fan in blow out mode later.

window_cpu_tempimubq.jpg

window_gpu_tempbiuig.jpg

Some words:

I really like the new rubber feets the case has so much more grip. No slide on smooth surfaces while pushing the power button. Also the cover for the GPU mounting hole looks very great. I also love the stamped-in motherboard stand-offs because they stay in position forever while unscrewing the motherboard.

Thank you for reading.

With best regards

Daniel

Did you test the window kit + 92mm AIO? It would be nice to know the temps/

Cool thanks for the info, hopefully biostar do a good job with bios updates but your experience seems very positive so far as is. Guru3d say there is a new microcode with enhanced ram compatability which sounds good http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ne...-increase-amd-ryzen-memory-compatibility.html
Looking forward to hearing more!

I bet the cooler AMD gave you is good, and maybe even very close in performance to the Noctua!

I'm very curious to see how the performance of these two coolers really compares!

I'm thinkin' the stock cooler is quite a bit better as it's keeping me in the 40C-48C range. That comes at the expense of it sticking really far out of the case, though.

The FTW3 fits. :)
You have to unscrew the PCI slot and fold it out of the way and get the card in first, then push the PCI slot onto the card and screw it back in.
yplcirG.png

Sorry for the crappy photo, will take some better ones later if requested.

Wow thats looks really nice :)

Has anyone tried mod with 1070/1080 mini where the PSU is flipped the other way around (so the PSU fan is on the GPU side), and then mounted a radiator on the PSU?

Back