DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Nice! we'll be able to see if bending the heatpipes has a negative effect or not. great stuff man! all that copper must have been long to cut!

Nice! we'll be able to see if bending the heatpipes has a negative effect or not. great stuff man! all that copper must have been long to cut!

Haha yeah, it did take a bit of time but I was also trying to do as clean of a job as I could.

Case finally arrived and I managed to put almost everything in the case. Still waiting for the GPU though.

33047660250_bcb099ddaf_b.jpg

The challenge was to fit 2 disk drives along with 2 RGB LED strips.

33302432021_559b32439c_b.jpg

Mounted the RGB strips here where they interfered the least with the holes on the bottom of the case

33047659150_b5236d7f9d_b.jpg

The hard drives will sit nicely on top of the strips. With the Corsair SF600 SATA cables, its a bit of a squeeze but it does fit ok

33390466596_2fa275bf1a_b.jpg

Custom cabling helps a lot to keep things tidy. With Asus Strix Z270I, I used lengths of 150mm for the 24pin ATX cable, and 250mm for the 8 pin EPS. The lengths work near perfectly

33302426931_edb6c837e8_b.jpg

With the GPU PCIE cables though, I might have made a mistake. Mine is 200mm and a little too short. It may work with the EVGA dongle that moves the PCIE ports to the back of the GPU but for top mount PCIE i would advise you guys go with 300mm to guarantee compatibility with any GPU and yet not have too much excess cabling

33047654890_9f18c48175_b.jpg

Build more or less finished except for the GPU. Very happy with the result. With my delidded 7700K I was able to get stable 4.8GHz at 1.27V on the test bench but once in the case, although temps never went beyond 80 degrees during benchmarking, it would BSOD. Backing off to 4.7GHz at 1.25V fixed things and max temps seen during benchmarking are 78 degrees. Thanks Dan for making a wonderful case for us to enjoy and hope you guys find the info useful for your builds!

32588071744_539a486dee_b.jpg

The Lowepro Event Messenger 250 is also a tight AF fit. It is like they made the offical messurments before they added the padding. The A4-SFX does fit the bag, but it takes a little push. It has an exterior pocket that is enough for everything but a keyboard. The internal 13" laptop/tablet pocket can NOT be used, due to the pressure.

im thinking of cutting off the interior pouch fora tablet, it would then fit without a push. still need to eait for the case to come though.

My full copper Axp-100 came in and I went a different route with modifying it. I cut off the blades hanging underneath (using a hacksaw with a 32T blade...) instead of bending the heatpipes. I'm still waiting for my case and parts to come in but I'll let everyone know how the temps are once I get it all together. I've also got a LP53 on the way too, so I'll be interested to compare them both using the A9x14 Fan.

http://imgur.com/gallery/YSe15

n0mgTsol.jpg

MSm3KFMl.jpg

KUBODiUl.jpg

Where was yours shipped too? Trying to find out how long til my gets here in SoCal

I'm thinking of cutting off the interior pouch for a tablet, it would then fit without a push. Still need to wait for the case to come though.

Please let us know how A4-SFX fits in the Lowepro Event Messenger 250 after the tablet pouch is removed. It may give the needed few millimeters so that I do not have to push or shake to get the computer to fit each time.

I do not want to cut out my tablet pouch as I had hoped to use it for a 11" 1080p 60Hz GeChic portable monitor if there was space. I still want to use the Event Messenger 250 for accessories and cables, even if I decide on something like the Tenba byob 13 for the case.

Now that the "tower" is so small the peripherals are taking up all the space. A mechanical keyboard, over-the-ear headphones, and necessary cables take up as much volume. I hope someone comes out with a folding 27 inch 144 Hz monitor soon.
I've actually been downsizing my peripherals, or at least getting portable versions of peripherals. My results:
Keyboard: Ajazz AK33 mechanical keyboard with Grifiti Chiton sleeve
Headphones: Beyerdynamics DT-1350-80
Speakers (if you dislike headphones like me): Edifier MP300 Plus 2.1 speakers (or Edifier Aurora which is the same thing but come without the protective pouch), you can power this off the PSU with a molex to 5.5mmx2.5mm barrel adapter since it runs off 12V. Incidentally this is where the "hole" at the GPU bracket comes in handy.
Monitors: Portable HDMI monitors from Aliexpress or Taobao(sells for cheaper if you can use the website), most 15.6" power off USB, a 17.3" version powers off 12V (again you can use a molex to 5.5mmx2.5mm barrel adapter to run it off the PSU), most of them are 8-bit IPS monitors unlike Gechic's 6-bit monitors. Throw them in a separate laptop bag to prevent damage. We won't be seeing gaming portable monitors though.
Storage: Stick 2x4TB or 2x5TB 2.5" 15mm Seagate drives in the A4. If you need external drives, use 2.5", don't use enclosures as they add unnecessary weight, get SATA->USB adapters instead and silicone sleeves for the 2.5" drives.
Wires: Can't do anything about this, but some HDMI cables are thinner than others.

Last edited:
How did you get down the Psu ??
Like this
Yeah, I guessed it was for vertical stability. If it doesn't have any other purpose could it instead go down, along the side of the PSU?

Reason I'm asking is, I looked at the free space (at least 3cm since a SFX-L fits there) there is when using a SFX PSU and thought how to take advantage of that. One of the biggest drawbacks for this case is that there is no active exhaust which makes the case and components pretty hot - seen by the temp difference when not using the I/O panel.
I figured that there is enough room for a 92mm top fan if you lower the PSU with spacers/extending bracket, that attaches to the stock bracket, to make room for the powercable and airflow. It would also pull air from the GPU side. Below is a quick sketch of it:
View attachment 17081

Something for A4-SFX v2?

More great pictures by loafidelity.
or this
The PSU bracket is a separate removable piece, right? So I wouldn't even have to do it this way:

I could just lower the whole bracket by drilling new screw holes 3cm lower on the front side and putting spacers to the mb side screws. Or would there be something blocking moving it down 3cm? Is there someone who could test out the temp difference? even just adding a fan outside the case on the top and temporarily lowering the PSU for better airflow?
Dan, could these extra holes be added to v2 and the top of the inner frame made 92mm fan friendly? I wager a lot of people would be interested in adding an active exhaust to the case.

Unfortunately, just measuring based on this pic http://i.imgur.com/9qw1acX.jpg a 92mm fan wouldn't be completely flat against the top panel since the bottom right corner would be against the inner frame.

okay, im worried about my i7 7700. gets 88c when playing csgo with the noctua L9i....is this normal or there is something wrong with my cooler?

Has anyone in the US not had any updates to their tracking since feb 27? This is all I see

upload_2017-3-14_10-59-14.png

I called USPS and they said they haven't received it yet from Deutsche Post. Anyone else hearing the same thing?

I contacted Dan but he said shipping takes 2-3 weeks. It has now been 3 weeks and it isn't even out of Germany.

This is shipping to Michigan if that matters at all.

OMG I´m shocked about those shipping times. (I´m from Germany.)

Why not just using DHL? Yes, it´s a bit more expensive but how can it need 2-3 weeks or even more to transfer such an item from Germany to the USA?

A regular DHL parcel with 500€ insurance to USA is 36,99€. Average shipping time is 10-12 days.
A registered airmail letter with 37,50€ insurance is 19,50€.

Why would you ship this valuable item with such a low insurance and long long shipping time just to save 17,49€?
If this gets lost or damaged you will be the fools.... Hopefully that story has a good ending for all of you..

Just spoke to overclockers UK. The gtx 1080TI (non FE) won'the be available until April. They weren't able to specify beginning or end of April either.....

Hey, has anyone tried to fit the Thermalright AXP100H in the case ? The height without a fan in the top is 51mm, so maybe it will fit with 4mm motherboard standoffs ?

I really hope it fits, because it's a slightly better version than the regular AXP100, and looks like it doesn't require any modding to fit a fan below.

Has anyone in the US not had any updates to their tracking since feb 27? This is all I see

View attachment 19265

I called USPS and they said they haven't received it yet from Deutsche Post. Anyone else hearing the same thing?

I contacted Dan but he said shipping takes 2-3 weeks. It has now been 3 weeks and it isn't even out of Germany.

That seems normal for shipping this product to the US. They pretty much don't update it until they deliver it for whatever reason. USPS sucks for stuff coming outside the US.

I just ordered something for my car yesterday from Romania, and in less than a day it's already in the US via DHL.

View attachment 19265

I'm in the same boat. (San Francisco.) I bet you the USPS person you talked to just told you that based on looking at the tracking that you are looking at, though. As we have seen from people here, it appears the tracking for these packages is not updated for some reason.

I'm in the same boat. (San Francisco.) I bet you the USPS person you talked to just told you that based on looking at the tracking that you are looking at, though. As we have seen from people here, it appears the tracking for these packages is not updated for some reason.
Bay Area here - my case arrived yesterday with no updates from beyond the "origin post is preparing" message. I just checked it today, and it still doesn't even say it was ever delivered.

Bay Area here - my case arrived yesterday with no updates from beyond the "origin post is preparing" message. I just checked it today, and it still doesn't even say it was ever delivered.

Now thats scary. I'm on day 22, part of first shipment that went out on the 17th, and still no updates. If I had updates I wouldn't care, but I have no clue where it is at this point when people started getting there's last monday.

Hey, has anyone tried to fit the Thermalright AXP100H in the case ? The height without a fan in the top is 51mm, so maybe it will fit with 4mm motherboard standoffs ?

I really hope it fits, because it's a slightly better version than the regular AXP100, and looks like it doesn't require any modding to fit a fan below.

I transplanted my 5820K X99 ITX system into the Dan A4 yesterday and a AXP100H Muscle cooler didn't fit, even with 4mm standoffs. It's a few millimeters too tall and when I bent the heatpipes to make it shorter, the blades of the underslung fan started rubbing on the retention screws. This is with Thermalright's Narrow ILM kit, which requires standoffs that raises the height of the cooler. As seen in this thread, Meccabolix didn't have the same issues with a LGA 1151 system.

I did a quick and dirty, 10 minute Intel XTU benchmark of the AXP100H with the side panel off with a Noctua NF-A9x14, a Scythe Slipstream SY1212SL12H, and Thermalright TY 100, all blowing out. The Noctua was the quietest but hottest, topping out at 80C, the Scythe was louder but livable and hit 75C, while the Thermalright was a bit quieter than the Scythe and cooled best with 71C. Maybe a draw-through orientation of the fans would have worked better, but I stopped testing after confirming the cooler was too tall.

I switched back to the Dynatron T318, paired it with the TY100 fan, and after 10 minutes of XTU it only reached 65C. So it's a clear winner temperature-wise and it fits. The TY100 fan is a gem too - I can barely tell that the computer is on at idle and it's easily masked by speakers or headphones during load.

EDIT: Added more details to make it clear this is an X99 system and as Meccabolix shows, it fits with LGA1151 motherboards.

Last edited:

I did a few tests, mine fit in perfectly when i used 4mm standoffs and no I/O shield. i didn't bend the pipes at all, i used the TY-100 fan that came with the cooler.

Thermals and noise test with the Thermalright AXP-100H MUSCLE with its TY-100 fan on a 6700k @ 4.4Ghz:

Idle temps:

View attachment 17517

Prime 95 temps:

View attachment 17518

Idle speed: 810 RPM

Full speed: 2500 RPM

Temps are about as good at the C7 with the C7 fan, but not quite as good as the C7 with the TY-100 fan.

But in low usage its SILENT! and at max fan speed its pretty quiet, its got the lowest pitch of any of the other combinations i've tested (probably due to the fan being so far behind the side cover and underneath the heatsink), so it's much easier on the ears.

The axp-100H is ever so slightly too tall (as others have pointed out) with the normal standoffs, i have ordered a number of different length standoffs to see what the ideal standoff length I need is (as people have also suggested) . The side panel very nearly fits on with all 4 clips as it is.

I am sticking with this combo for now as it's quieter than the rest, i ordered a nexus last week but it may take a while to arrive, i will test it with the TY-100 and the other fans if people want me to, I am also waiting on the LP53 + NF a9x14 which should come soon.

View attachment 19265

I'm in Missouri and still seeing the same information on USPS as you are.

Just got my A4 in the mail today! Los Angeles area is getting them now.

I'm jealous but WTF that is messed up. I'm in the mid west and my tracking hasn't updated since German custom's notified USPS. I figured the delivery would have been chronological from east coast to west coast. It's mid March now. I'm growing unhappy about the time it's taking to get this in my hands.

Still waiting for mine too (same update as other people with no update since feb 27). I am in Mountain View and surprised that some people around the bay already has theirs.

Build commencing this weekend. It should be interesting as I've gone:
Cryorig c7
4mm standoffs
z270i Strix
1080 Strix
M2 600p 256 boot drive
M2 600p 512 secondary

The question I have is I was thinking of putting the smaller boot drive on the back of the mobo and then the larger drive on the front with the heatsink. Reasoning behind this is that I'll mostly be stressing the larger drive when gaming, but am not sure it really matters. Any opinions would be great!

Build commencing this weekend. It should be interesting as I've gone:
Cryorig c7
4mm standoffs
z270i Strix
1080 Strix
M2 600p 256 boot drive
M2 600p 512 secondary

The question I have is I was thinking of putting the smaller boot drive on the back of the mobo and then the larger drive on the front with the heatsink. Reasoning behind this is that I'll mostly be stressing the larger drive when gaming, but am not sure it really matters. Any opinions would be great!

I plan on doing the same thing for the same reasoning. Albeit with different drives. I don't think there will be any issues.

I'm jealous but WTF that is messed up. I'm in the mid west and my tracking hasn't updated since German custom's notified USPS. I figured the delivery would have been chronological from east coast to west coast. It's mid March now. I'm growing unhappy about the time it's taking to get this in my hands.

Im in Kansas, I got my case early last week.

In Cali, still haven't receive my case and I saw a few here already got it =\. Been no case for about 3 months now. I hate using screw driver to power on my computer.

Back