DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

here's the process with anyone who has a normal axp-100 or axp-100 muscle or axp-100R or the 8 or 9 guys thats have the axp-100 full copper

Is it 16 mm Mdf you are using ??

No heating of the pipes before bending the heatzink down and why no movie on the first part on this ??

only down or back and down on the first part with heatzink

The problem with bending heatpipes without a forming tool is, that you can easily destroy the inner cunstruction of the heatpipe. If you done this the heatsink will perform not good. Too bad you don't make a before and hafter temp test. But thank you for the clips looks great.

The problem with bending heatpipes without a forming tool is, that you can easily destroy the inner cunstruction of the heatpipe. If you done this the heatsink will perform not good. Too bad you don't make a before and hafter temp test. But thank you for the clips looks great.

well let's hope it works flawlessly then ! I don't think i'd have the patience like meccabolix to do tests and tests.
thanks a lot meccabolix btw!

Is it 16 mm Mdf you are using ??

No heating of the pipes before bending the heatzink down and why no movie on the first part on this ??

only down or back and down on the first part with heatzink

yep 16mm mdf. didn't film the first part because I got excited and its only with my hands pulling down , and yes its only down on the first part, not down and back.

I've bent heatpipes before without issues. I guess there is a good chance it depends on the type of heatpipe, and how much you bend them. But I made drastic changes to an Intel Thin-ITX cooler to make my own little NAS box years ago. It worked without issues too (cooling a 35/45W low power i7). https://goo.gl/photos/53Uf6SYdre6b8DvZ9

For the above, I used a propane torch to take apart the original heatsink, then used pipe bender to form the heat pipes how I wanted. I didn't solder things back together. just used thermal paste and bolted to case for extra heat disappation. I might try something similar with an extra Nexus low cooler that I have on the A4-SFX. Wish I had an extra side panel ;)

great fabrication ! Just checked, you where trying to use the case as a giant heatsink?

Well the main part of the heatsink was the AMD heatsink I hacked up, and drilled holes into for the heat pipes (which the fan blew over). That part (heatsink) was bolted to the bottom of the case, so the case also dissipated some heat.

yeah I asked dondan about an extra panel too here, but got the radio silence ;) lol
He wrote some time ago that he would need to keep a stash of side panels for potential RMA requests, so that's why he couldn't sell them separately for the time being. Can't find the exact quote, though.

If anyone else with a silver case is wondering whether to get the black or silver feet: (don't mind the loose usb or power cable)
These feet, unlike the original ones, are very grippy and aluminium as well. They are a bit higher and the front feet do overlap with the aluminium panel though. Shouldn't be an issue even if it scratches.
The original feet are hard plastic and I can't even press the power button without having to hold the case, does Lian Li seriously use those on more of their cases?
Just attached with a simple screw so easily replaced.

Thanks Pagold for posting the link! https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01G1J5U7Q/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
(they don't come with nuts and bolts)
IMG_20170308_203808.jpg IMG_20170308_203652.jpg IMG_20170308_203616.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for the hard testing. I think you will be a perfect candidate for testing the DAN Cases HSLP-48 :)

No problem. I would love to test it.

well let's hope it works flawlessly then ! I don't think i'd have the patience like meccabolix to do tests and tests.
thanks a lot meccabolix btw!

You're welcome, i enjoy testing things and tinkering. I hope the copper cooler works flawlessly, i am jelly, cheers for the pics and vids!

Surprised there aren't more images in this thread from new owners, especially for the super sleek silver version. Waiting until summer to pull the trigger myself...by then we should have enough testing & first-hand experience from users using various configurations. Interested in doing a Ryzen/GTX 1080 Ti set-up for strictly 4K duties.

The beauty arrived in Melbourne

Is that an LG OLED I see in the background?

Furthermore I work on some tiny changes for the second series:

1.) switching from glued screw in motherboard stand off to stamp in stand offs.
2.) center the USB port perfectly.
3.) adding a thin rubber layer on the outer surface of the feets to get more grip
4.) Taking a look at this riser ( http://www.vary.technology/product/RP33.html) or the new riser of Lian Li to lower the price (but only if they have the same performance, quality and properties)
Woo hoo
ytj9a.jpg

yeah I asked dondan about an extra panel too here, but got the radio silence ;) lol

Same here.

Update:

Currently I work on the poll for the window kit. I think I will offer the link in the next days. So I can finalize the drawings and make it ready on the same time the second series will be ready.

Furthermore I work on some tiny changes for the second series:

1.) switching from glued screw in motherboard stand off to stamp in stand offs.
2.) center the USB port perfectly.
3.) adding a thin rubber layer on the outer surface of the feets to get more grip
4.) Taking a look at this riser ( http://www.vary.technology/product/RP33.html) or the new riser of Lian Li to lower the price (but only if they have the same performance, quality and properties)

No cover for the PCIE bracket?

Picked my case up today from my post office, and it looks great... though I doubt I'll have time to transfer my PC to it before the weekend. :D

Picked my case up today from my post office, and it looks great... though I doubt I'll have time to transfer my PC to it before the weekend. :D
Where are you located? I want to try and see where the cases are hitting to see when I can expect mine. I know curiosite got his in atlanta.

Worried about my backside mobo m.2 temps while gaming (960 pro). Hitting 62ºC in Dan case. This is with a GTX 1070. When I upgrade to 1080 ti, that's another 100 watts of heat, potentially bleeding out into the backplate and towards the m.2. Anyone else getting temps like this? What's the max temp these should run at? (I can't find documentation online)

Kept digging and found this http://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...ent/NVMe_SSD_960_PRO_EVO_Brochure_Rev_1_1.pdf

I'm near thermal operating limit of 70ºC! Damn. I bet the 1080 ti puts it over the top. Gotta abandon that back slot... Good thing Strix 270i has the front slot. I can just go SATA for additional storage then.

Where are you located? I want to try and see where the cases are hitting to see when I can expect mine. I know curiosite got his in atlanta.

Boston MA. Delivery attempted Monday when I was at work, and available for pickup today.

Worried about my backside mobo m.2 temps while gaming (960 pro). Hitting 62ºC in Dan case. This is with a GTX 1070. When I upgrade to 1080 ti, that's another 100 watts of heat, potentially bleeding out into the backplate and towards the m.2. Anyone else getting temps like this? What's the max temp these should run at? (I can't find documentation online)

Kept digging and found this http://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...ent/NVMe_SSD_960_PRO_EVO_Brochure_Rev_1_1.pdf

I'm near thermal operating limit of 70ºC! Damn. I bet the 1080 ti puts it over the top. Gotta abandon that back slot... Good thing Strix 270i has the front slot. I can just go SATA for additional storage then.

I'm going to run two 960 in raid0. I too have a GTX 1070 in there, I hope the rear one is going to be OK. I was wondering if I could buy an extra heatsink like the front strix one

IMG_0135.PNG
Anybody else from Socal having their shipment get stuck at a facility Bell Gardens, CA? Mine has been there for a day and a half with no update :( (The "In Transit to destination" update is an automated one that happens after 24 hours without a true update)

View attachment 18863 Anybody else from Socal having their shipment get stuck at a facility Bell Gardens, CA? Mine has been there for a day and a half with no update :( (The "In Transit to destination" update is an automated one that happens after 24 hours without a true update)

You have movement!!! I still have nothing...

So shipmemts to Georgia and Maryland have beem made. Yours is in Caliswagland ready to be delivered. Did tye shipment from Germany land right in the middle of the great U.S.A.? I'm in the Florida Panhandle and have seen no movement in my tracker.

View attachment 18863 Anybody else from Socal having their shipment get stuck at a facility Bell Gardens, CA? Mine has been there for a day and a half with no update :( (The "In Transit to destination" update is an automated one that happens after 24 hours without a true update)

Mine's also pretty similar and I live in SoCal too

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    29.1 KB · Views: 107
has anyone tested or have any info about temps on having the m.2 ssd mounted at the back of the board? does it get hot? sorry if i missed it.

I'd suggest some insulating material behind the GPU for those worried about m2 temps. It works well for my PSU.

Have anybody tried the ARCTIC freezer 11-lp??
https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/freezer-11-lp.html
It it 52,5 mm tall, but that is with the 25mm fan - såo27,5 mm (also according to specs). That+a9x14 = 41,5 mm :)
It is very cheap (msrp 20 euro), and even in Denmark (pricy place) I can buy it for 19 euroes!
Reviews I've read are quite okay.

has anyone tested or have any info about temps on having the m.2 ssd mounted at the back of the board? does it get hot? sorry if i missed it.

I just tested my samsung 960 pro 1tb m.2 , which is on the backside of the motherboard (i have installed and am using 4mm standoffs) wedged in between the motherboard and the GPU riser cable, as you can see i only get 49°C MAX when doing a stress test, but i'm not sure if this is stressing it as much as i should, if you want any more tests done i can do them.

960 pro temps.JPG

EDIT: the Titan X Pascal comes with a backplate by the way, not sure if that is helping any.

Last edited:

I'm in SoCal and I don't even have mine in Bell Gardens. Its been almost a month since I've gotten my tracking number, really wish I had a better idea how long DHL is going to take

I just tested my samsung 960 pro 1tb m.2 , which is on the backside of the motherboard (i have installed and am using 4mm standoffs) wedged in between the motherboard and the GPU riser cable, as you can see i only get 49°C MAX when doing a stress test, but i'm not sure if this is stressing it as much as i should, if you want any more tests done i can do them.

View attachment 18884

EDIT: the Titan X Pascal comes with a backplate by the way, not sure if that is helping any.

does this stresstest also stresses the GPU? i mean, i am worried about the heat coming from the GPU.

You just have to be a bit careful but it should work just fine without a forming tool (I have a bending tool but I wasn't able to use it in this case.
There are three things you have to worry about when you bend them I think. Don't do it too fast, try to maximize the area of attack to prevent dents in the tube (this is why I used another tube) and the third one is don't bend it multiple times at the same place.
If you consider this factors it should be fine, I assume they pretty much do the same thing in the factories anyway. I mean, they have to bend them somehow.

does this stresstest also stresses the GPU? i mean, i am worried about the heat coming from the GPU.

I can run a gpu stress test and a m.2 stress test if you'd like, i might run a cpu one too just to see if everything running altogether would affect it, but i can't think of a scenario where the cpu, gpu and m.2 are going all out, maybe if you were transfering large files to another drive and then decided you want to do some gaming while its transferring, but how often do people do that? In any case, i'll give it a go when i get home for curiosities sake.

Back