DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

I have both LP53 and L9i and don't think that diff is significant enough to justify buying LP53 because if you event don't own either currently buying LP53 means you need to buy extra fan .... LP53 has horrible mounting (I have bent my MBO - not paying attention) and rest of the cooler is just so much inferior in build quality.... I still haven't settled on which one I will be using ...

Reactions: Shaav
like this
illram: We can't test all configurations of course and what works for us might not work for everyone and everywhere.
That's another reason why we can only give vague and conservative suggestions, as there are so many factors that play a role when it comes to real world temperatures with a certain CPU and cooler combination.
But I don't have to explain this here anyway ...

Every new CPU generation is a bit of a roulette game when it comes to performance and compatibility with the L9i (and L9a too):
We don't know what will be the outcome until we have actual testing results.

I will just leave this here hoping that more and more people will share their results :)

Edit:
https://d

ocs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aZfTysWc4dtJC33qkLCjLkhPnzVLtbCtjpxoZeT92ZA/edit#gid=0

Last edited:
Could someone tell me how we obtain the actual link of a google docs sheet linked on this forum?

illram: We can't test all configurations of course and what works for us might not work for everyone and everywhere.
That's another reason why we can only give vague and conservative suggestions, as there are so many factors that play a role when it comes to real world temperatures with a certain CPU and cooler combination.
But I don't have to explain this here anyway ...

Every new CPU generation is a bit of a roulette game when it comes to performance and compatibility with the L9i (and L9a too):
We don't know what will be the outcome until we have actual testing results.

I love your guys' coolers, don't get me wrong. I've got an L9i in an ISK 110 that I am typing this on right now, it's a fantastic little cooler.

I have both LP53 and L9i and don't think that diff is significant enough to justify buying LP53 because if you event don't own either currently buying LP53 means you need to buy extra fan .... LP53 has horrible mounting (I have bent my MBO - not paying attention) and rest of the cooler is just so much inferior in build quality.... I still haven't settled on which one I will be using ...

This is true. The LP53 mounting is awful. L9i's is way better.

I remember now a good resource for this particular debate: Ej24's fairly comprehensive review of the LP53 and L9i over in the Overclocking subforum. Lots of discussion in there about the merits of these two coolers. His tests did find the LP53 outperforming the L9i in stress tests on a 4790K. (88w). I had similar temps as him on my 7700K for the Aida64 tests and I did 10 minutes not 90 seconds. Also Dan's own testing. (Look at the load graph) I think this really only matters though if your obsessively chasing every last degree and bit of performance. Otherwise the L9i is really fine.

fixed link for google doc

Good news (for me)!
The case has arrived in Switzerland which means I will get it this week.
This means I will test the hardware & make all heatsinks ready to go into the case (requires minor modding).
After that (next week I think) I will start to test all heatsinks with noise measurements.
Is someone interested in the maximum noise? If nobody is interested in that I would rather get data on the maximum temperature and noise for the cpu only and test some games while recording temperature and noise. I think this would be a more realistic scenario.

If somebody would like some additional data points please write me until next weekend (11.03).
I can record up to 2 precise temperatures, 2 not so precise temps (+/- 3°C), thermal imaging and sound (recording of how it sounds, pitch analysis and volume of course) .

Last edited:
Haven't followed the thread, but are there planned retailers for the USA?

- We are not angry that people are asking for the fan clips. However, as someone has already pointed out, it's not the material cost for the clips which make this difficult for us, it's the handling and shipping costs.
We appreciate that you are purchasing our fan for this interesting case but everything considered we are on par in the best case or maybe even make a loss on each fan sold, if we send out fan clips to every single user.
While we are open to projects and we have a bit of room for supporting them, I can't justify something like this to my boss if it goes beyond a few fans, especially if there are alternate ways to install the fan - sorry.

However, this doesn't mean that we haven't thought about a way to come towards you.
I suppose that most users in this thread are from the US and Canada? If you could find someone who would be able and willing to distribute the fan clips to the users interested in them, I could imagine sending a bag with fan clips to this person. Or maybe Dan himself would be interested and capable of making things work?
We are open to suggestions how we could handle this, preferably in this thread.

I think that it would be good to just include the clips with all the new retail-boxed fans produced. The Noctua fans are already known for including everything that you might need to use the fan. I think that all come with screws and rubber mounts. They come with a couple of inline resistors to lower their speed, sometimes spliters and extensions, etc.

The box will protect the delicate clips, and eventually all the fans in the retail channel will include clips. If people need clips before that, they could order new fans directly from Noctua (or their chosen/confirmed retailer). I will admit that I have no idea how long the production and distribution system cycles, or holds inventory. If the system takes too long (more then a couple months), it is not a solution for these people.

- Regarding the comment of a bigger L9i where another colleague of mine was quoted, well, he started at Noctua only a few months ago and thus isn't that much in the know regarding things that have already been tried in the past.
While his answer wasn't wrong, a slightly taller L9i specifically tailored for this case is unfortunately unrealistic. We've tried a taller L9i in the past but performance wasn't noticeably better, which is the reason why the L9x65 looks quite a bit different than the L9i/a coolers.

Has a trim-to-size conical duct ever been considered as an accessory to SFF 92 mm CPU coolers (L9 and L9x65)? If it could be made of a foamy material anti-resonance needs may not be large. If it must be made out of harder material periodic anti-noise shapes, perhaps with perforations, would aid the user in trimming. I expect that the user can not be trusted to trim to size, and a poor job could lead to pressure on the processor and socket area.

I believe that you will have to order them from CaseKing.de or its UK subsidiary (Overclockers.Co.UK). Shipping them from Taiwan to Germany, then to you will take a long time and add to cost. The Dancase A4-SFX supply chain is complicated by the need to order the ultimate 16x flexible riser from 3M. (I wonder if the ThermalTake riser units could be used, if the plate for mounting the 16x socket could be tapped for multiple hole patterns?)

https://www.caseking.de/dan-cases-a4-sfx-mini-itx-gaming-gehaeuse-schwarz-gedn-001.html

https://hardforum.com/threads/flexible-pcie-risers.1907110/

Last edited:
I just got done building custom ATX and EPS cables for my Corsair SF450 and MSI H110i combo using the same method that Pantera_666 has outlined on this forum (i.e. using short "patch" wires on the PSU end for the double wires).

-snip-

Pantera_666 can you link me to the post that loafidelity is talking about? I've got all my supplies to do custom cables with varying lenghts, the double wires are my concern atm.

I'm interested as well. The first post says next availability is early 2017. Has that passed already and did it include availability in the USA?

I'm interested as well. The first post says next availability is early 2017. Has that passed already and did it include availability in the USA?

I'm probably just going to order from overseas, but the wait is until July for shipment. I'm an idiot for selling my spot. All these pictures are making me jealous. :rolleyes:

I'm probably just going to order from overseas, but the wait is until July for shipment. I'm an idiot for selling my spot. All these pictures are making me jealous. :rolleyes:

July for the shipment to Germany. From there everyone else gets their shipment then th U.S. gets theirs close to last. So plan for late July or August time frame if Dondan decides to handle everything again.

What length cables did you go with? Cablemod i assume?

They're actually from moddiy.com. I posted about my lengths and how i got them here a few pages back. Fair bit cheaper and still very high quality. Im waiting for the dan A4 to arrive then i'll confirm i chose the right cable lengths and update you guys in another post here

backers from singapore, did you get any updates from the shipping link yet?

My last update was march 2nd, showing it has be processed in the parcel center and is being shipped onwards. Still no idea when its actually going to arrive here

My last update was march 2nd, showing it has be processed in the parcel center and is being shipped onwards. Still no idea when its actually going to arrive here

yeah, but based on this tracking link from an australian backer https://nolp.dhl.de/nextt-online-public/en/set_identcodes.do?idc=CD399808261DE , there should be another update that says "

The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization." before our case actually leaves germany....

cant really wait anymore... i already bought 144hz monitor and havent tried it yet.LOL

Custom White :love: (Work in Progress)
IMG_9327.JPG IMG_9328.JPG

cause silver is not white either :cyclops: and i don't want an all white case.
the edges of the sidepanels will remain black. so it will be white with thin black lines.

yeah, but based on this tracking link from an australian backer https://nolp.dhl.de/nextt-online-public/en/set_identcodes.do?idc=CD399808261DE , there should be another update that says "

The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization." before our case actually leaves germany....

cant really wait anymore... i already bought 144hz monitor and havent tried it yet.LOL

Any other Australian backers have a shipping update? Mine has been with USPS in Frankfurt for a full week now

Has anyone replaced the "feet" underneath the Dan A4-SFX case? What options are there? Inserting a USB stick in the front connector shifts/displaces my case...

aww yeah. Looks like mine is delivering today (US). Building tonight then.

upload_2017-3-6_9-5-42.png

Reactions: Shaav
like this
I'm on east coast too, but mine says its still in Germany...WTH! Mine was with the 17th batch.

Is yours stuck at "We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece." as well ? I was also in the 17th batch, I believe this means it's waiting to ship until a shipping container is filled.

Is yours stuck at "We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece." as well ? I was also in the 17th batch, I believe this means it's waiting to ship until a shipping container is filled.

Yes, but I'm also near NY, so I guess I was just unlucky.

Thanks, this looks good. Looks like amazon wont ship these to the states and ebay may be my only option, which looks about $16. Anyone know other options before I pull the trigger?

I can send them to you from the UK. I'm about to order a set. Anyone else want them? I would ship from London and through regular mail.. Might take up to 10 business days to the US.

Back