DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Finally got my system built. Running a 7700k and evga 1080 SC2 with the new icx cooler.

Getting max temps of around 78c for the CPU and an impressive 63-65c for gpu. Not bad! And have these cool new TridentZ rgb ram in there.

Attachments

• IMG_2904.JPG
    IMG_2904.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 132
I understand it's not about power. They are not rated for 5GHz at all, but I'm still wondering if they would be able to pick up something from that range. I mean, a coat hanger isn't rated for OTA television, but people can make it work sometimes.

This is a decent explanation of why 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals don't work with the same antenna (and maybe also why a coat hanger sometimes works for OTA):

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=476624&sid=564131b3e769b33957726eaf54dddf19#476624

Here is a combination antenna centered on 2.4 and 5.4GHz that should do anything in the '5GHz' range as well. It's not quite as small, but still quite compact compared to the typical bundled antenna that comes with a mainboard.

http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...nc/ANT-DB1-RAF-RPS/ANT-DB1-RAF-RPS-ND/1035407

I didn't link it originally as I was only interested in the smallest antenna for BT, and don't need 802.11xx for my application at all (and I had the antennas on hand already from another project).

Also FWIW, 5GHz will get you better speed at close range, but less effective distance/penetration as compared with 2.4GHz based wifi.

Has anyone's US-bound case actually flown yet? Mine is still chillin in Germany.

Yes, mine's still in Frankfurt. I think it may not update until it actually arrives at the US carrier's spot and gets sent out for delivery from there, in my case USPS. (DHL transferred my package over to them). And I'm not 100% sure we are getting a plane ride either.

Anyone interested in a like new Nexus 7000 r2, with all the parts, I'll throw in a scythe slim stream 2000rpm 120mm fan plus some copper mosfet heatsinks.

I tried to get this to work with my Asus z270i and ripjaw 5 ram to no avail. The even with the heatsinks removed, my ram was an issue, and I just don't feel like buying ram to make this heat sink work. This will work fine with VLP ram + 120mm. If you have that this would be great. Since my ram is too tall the largest fan I can fit with heatsink removal is a 100mm, which wouldn't be taking advantage of the whole heat sink.

I'm just charging what I paid for the heatsink plus shipping.

Anyone interested in a like new Nexus 7000 r2, with all the parts, I'll throw in a scythe slim stream 2000rpm 120mm fan plus some copper mosfet heatsinks.

I tried to get this to work with my Asus z270i and ripjaw 5 ram to no avail. The even with the heatsinks removed, my ram was an issue, and I just don't feel like buying ram to make this heat sink work. This will work fine with VLP ram + 120mm. If you have that this would be great. Since my ram is too tall the largest fan I can fit with heatsink removal is a 100mm, which wouldn't be taking advantage of the whole heat sink.

I'm just charging what I paid for the heatsink plus shipping.
This will also happen to your new heatsink dondan. As I said, people don't know their ram height, and also don't want their ram choices to be restricted.

Has anyone's US-bound case actually flown yet? Mine is still chillin in Germany.

Strange. Australian here and as of this morning my status is "The shipment has arrived in the destination country". Pretty sure Aus shipped after US (or maybe same time)

Step up program is for trading in your used cards for an upgrade. I would contact cs or start the process to make sure your card is eligible.
Ive been on some evga forums since then and people are coming to the conclusion that my acx 1080 needs to step up to icx 1080 and only then could i step up to 1080ti....

if it's true then it's pretty frustrating since the icx version wouldnt exist if they got their burning vrm right the first time.

Yes, mine's still in Frankfurt. I think it may not update until it actually arrives at the US carrier's spot and gets sent out for delivery from there, in my case USPS. (DHL transferred my package over to them). And I'm not 100% sure we are getting a plane ride either.

The last reported location for mine is at the airport in Frankfurt, so I hope they're not planning on putting it on a boat there and sending it down the Main river or it will be quite the circuitous journey from there to LA.. Given where the cases were born, they will have traveled well over half way around the world to get here via the current routing :p Here's to hoping that on future builds Dan is able to drop ship directly from Taiwan via a local logistics handler rather than pushing them all through Europe.

The 1700x being classed as a "Gaming" Cpu has done a total back flip

Many many many people wanting to get this have got disappointing me included. I was opening up to the wonderful soldered chip and supporting the underdog.

But i felt not quite trusted with any game dev supporting 8 cores, the lack of 3200+ Memory support, lack any mini itx boaeds, then AMD intentional tweaking gaming scores on reveal. It all left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

7700k will be king for a good few years until intel do a 6 core 7700k ipc. Looks like il have to get that strix board and delid.

A local retailer dropped the prices of their 7700k's this morning by $50. I jumped on that and a Strix.

Can't wait for these cases to reach NZ :D

We have a huge $5 change since ryzen reveal LOL

Last edited:
Finally got my system built. Running a 7700k and evga 1080 SC2 with the new icx cooler.

Getting max temps of around 78c for the CPU and an impressive 63-65c for gpu. Not bad! And have these cool new TridentZ rgb ram in there.

Is the 7700k running stock? How are you testing the system - just in use, in game or benchmarks?

Ryzen seems to be limiting at the top end but not the minimum frames per second much and only at 1080p, it's the same performance at 1440p let alone 4k. Unless you have a 144hz monitor I think it's still an excellent choice. The risk and effort of delivering a 7700 is way to much for me. It has much better IPC than my old 2500k had at 4.5ghz so and I'll be able to more than half any 3d renders I do.

Approx. 24mm between the EK waterblock and the edge of the case.

In other news, I had to remount my block (it was off a bit) and my thermals are now as follows:

Ambient 21 C.

i7 4790K OC'd to 4.6 GHz @ 1.3v:
@ idle: cores are 20-22 C.
@ 100% load: the cores range from 66-74 C. Minor jumps up as high as 76 C on one of the cores.

GTX 980ti OC'd to 1500 MHz clock, 7012 MHz memory:
@ idle: 21 C.
@ 100% load: 39 C.

My cooling solution has a D5 vario at setting 3 and a 480mm x 60mm thick rad with fans at 600rpm (can't even hear them a foot away from me).
All in all I'm quite happy with this. Cooling could be better if I ramped up the fans but I like peace and quiet haha.

Looks great! With those results I might consider going for a watercooling myself :)
Can you please give me more details about your watercooling setup and maybe a few pics of the external parts? Where did you put the pump and tank?

I thought about putting the case on top of the radiator so air of the fans would go through the case, but there are not many vent holes on the bottom of the case and the air going through the case is already heated. Maybe the radiator can be mounted on top and suck in some of the air through the vent holse on the top of the case (= casefan). A 360 radiator should be about the size of the case. But I don't know if it will work.

Ive been on some evga forums since then and people are coming to the conclusion that my acx 1080 needs to step up to icx 1080 and only then could i step up to 1080ti....

if it's true then it's pretty frustrating since the icx version wouldnt exist if they got their burning vrm right the first time.
I don't believe that is the case. My guess is you would choose the product you want to step up to and the value difference would be paid. It wouldn't make much sense to step up to another 1080.

Last edited:
Why does that have a dvi port?? Looks like a dvi port anyway... There is no built in graphics on a Zen CPU... Is that designed/compatible with their new APUs as well?

So I contacted innodisk about low profile ram and volume discounts. If we can get 50 people together we can get 32gb (2x16gb) VLP ram for $318. The volume discount is for 100 16gb sticks.

You think there are 50 people interested in doing this? This is 100 dollars cheaper than the crucial option.

Here is the p/n: M4U0-AGS1WCSJ

See email below:

Hello Dan,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I am pleased to offer the following:

Innodisk P/N: M4U0-AGS1WCSJ

Unit Price: $159 / 1-99 PCS

147 / 100 PCS+

Delivery: FOB CA, 3 wks ARO

Please let me know if you have any questions or need anything else.

Best Regards,

Can anyone please post the PSU and the custom cable length that worked for you? Not able to find those posts.

You would need the details of the exact PSU and motherboard combination. The PSUs have connectors across the 100 mm center of the back. The motherboards have the 24-pin power connectors on the top or the back edge. The CPU power can be next to it, or anywhere around the middle of the board.

Cable mod is still working on my order so I can't confirm it all worked. But I ordered a 150mm 24pin, and 300mm CPU and PCI-E cables. I intentionally ordered a bit longer CPU and PCI-E then I thought I needed. Z270i Mobo.

The PSU is right next to the 24 pin port on the Asus. The CPU is along the bottom edge near the IO if I remember correctly. You can see where the GPU is. From there, unless someone else can confirm before I estimate having everything in about a month, based on case and Mobo measurements plus bending I figured 300mm would cover the longer runs.

Oh did he delid his? I'm not comfortable with delidding processors.
It's really not as hard as you may think. We did my buddies 3770k in about 15 minutes. The thermal paste looked terrible and was chalky and didn't have good coverage. We did it with a thin bladed razor and slowly worked around the chip until it was easily pulled off. Redid the paste with some Liquid ultra, reseated the cpu and it was good to go. Reduced temps 15c and made his cores consistent temps. Before 2 cores were at least 10c higher then the others. Really awesome how much better it runs now. At idle it will get down to 17c. He does have a full custom water loop but still pretty impressive results.

Oh did he delid his? I'm not comfortable with delidding processors.

IDK either, but it drops the temps by 20c at times it seems. I wasn't comfortable with delidding either until I watched this:

I picked up a Rockit Cool and did it in about less than an hour. The only potential problem is Rockit Cool is going to cost about $40, but I already put down so much money on a DAN case I didn't mind and it was a safe solution. There may be cheaper solutions on ebay too.

Last edited:
Back