DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Whoever recommended those stubby bluetooth/wifi antennas, they're awesome and shipped really fast. Range is great for bluetooth on Asus Strix Z270i. (just like the corded antenna that came with it) I'm trying to eliminate as many cables as possible in my work space. This will be clean for the DAN build.

Nice, glad the BT part of it worked out for you. I agree, it cleans up the build considerably compared to the external antenna contraption the z270i ships with.

Could someone please post the link to the antennas jtcera is talking about, I have a Z170i & I can't stand the long cabled antenna asus packs in with it, are the short stubby ones (lol) better at getting bluetooth range?

Could someone please post the link to the antennas jtcera is talking about, I have a Z170i & I can't stand the long cabled antenna asus packs in with it, are the short stubby ones (lol) better at getting bluetooth range?
https://www.digikey.com/short/32tj5h credit to user repentsinner

Did you try to wifi range?

No not yet. I have wifi turned off in the bios and can't restart right now. With 300/300mbps fios I'm not interested but for traveling I am. That's why I picked up two of the antennas. Will test in the coming days.

Whats the difference between the ND and the non ND item number? Cant seem to see any change in the idem description

I used the nub antennas for wifi 18ft away from router, one wall in between. 95 mbps. Great to have this option while traveling. The nubs stay.

Same machine gets 300/300 on a fios connection when on ethernet. Ethernet cable disconnected for this test.

Notice even being this close to the router, all 5 bars aren't green. The wall is normal drywall with steel studs. Idk if the steel would have anything to do with it but my phone with an AC wifi radio pulls over 200 mbps down through that wall. Why can't they make nubs with AC radios when my phone has it built in? Oh well, still cool for the DAN case, highly recommended at least for small houses and apartments.

upload_2017-3-2_0-59-4.png

upload_2017-3-2_0-58-54.png

Whats the difference between the ND and the non ND item number? Cant seem to see any change in the idem description

apparently, there's no difference. just a sku id.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 10.39.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 10.39.14 PM.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 92
I used the nub antennas for wifi 18ft away from router, one wall in between. 95 mbps. Great to have this option while traveling. The nubs stay.

Same machine gets 300/300 on a fios connection when on ethernet. Ethernet cable disconnected for this test.

Notice even being this close to the router, all 5 bars aren't green. The wall is normal drywall with steel studs. Idk if the steel would have anything to do with it but my phone with an AC wifi radio pulls over 200 mbps down through that wall. Why can't they make nubs with AC radios when my phone has it built in? Oh well, still cool for the DAN case, highly recommended at least for small houses and apartments.

View attachment 18299

View attachment 18298

Pretty good performance!

What I'd do to get that kind of internet speed here in Australia though. urgh!
You know a "standard" nominal speed tier is like 12Mbps...

Thanks for the clarification :).

Currently if i buy 2 for $9, shipping is $25 to australia from digikey :(. Need to find it on ebay or somewhere else, at the risk of buying a dud.

Thanks for the clarification :).

Currently if i buy 2 for $9, shipping is $25 to australia from digikey :(. Need to find it on ebay or somewhere else, at the risk of buying a dud.
Go and ask in an electronics forum like this one: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/
Maybe you will find someone from Australia there who orders from Digikey and can just add the antennas to his order and send them to you. The guy running EEVblog (Dave) is from Australia so there is a chance.
Just ask in the general chat section and be nice to them.

So, The Cooltek LP53 with a Noctua NF-A9x14 fan and 4mm standoffs mounted in a vertical position would seem to be the best config in PWM. That was also my intuition from the start, but the 4mm standoffs are a nice addition.

I have a theory that I might even try myself.
No one has mentioned the Cooltek ITX30 because of its shortcoming: It has shorter fins than the LP53 and a 80x80x10mm fan.
However, no one ever seems to have thought of using the ITX30 with the Noctua NF-A9 (92x92x25) fan, because it's too big for the notched crevasse housing the 80m fan. But it seems to me that it will still fit on top of the ITX30 (LxWxH = 100x92x30) using zip-ties.

The ITX30 is 30mm high with a 10mm fan. The fan is recessed into the heat-sink by what looks like 2mm, meaning that the copper's maximum high is actually 22mm. This means that one can fit a full sized Noctua NF-A9 onto a ITX30 heat-sink and its total height would be 47mm. If you subtract to that the 3mm shaved off thanks to shorter 4mm standoffs, you'd even have some space between the fan body and the case panel to dampen turbulence.

The main question is: Does having a full sized fan overcompensate for the smaller fin density? That, I don't know, but I'm extremely confident that it is!

If you compare the specs of the Noctua NF-A9 vs the NF-A9x14, the larger one is just so much better in every single aspect: noise, max+min rpm speed. Even the airflow is 56% higher!
However, if you compare the specs of the LP53 vs the ITX30 side by side (German site), the loss of fin surface on top is considerable (25% maybe?), but I'm sure that the superior fan will be able to push away the heat fast enough for that to not be a problem. Aside from that they're exactly the same.

Something to think about.

Last edited:
Should fit in the bottom at the front (at least looking at the space with my sfx psu). You would likely need to cut the midplate to fit in the dual one if placing it at the bottom of the case.
Im certain its possible to make a custom waterloop in this case without exterior support, there must be a way to fit at least 2 of these radiators in the case. but I wont know for a couple weeks because my case just shipped!

On paper... Would still like to see if they can handle 5GHz, even if its at a much smaller range or reduced capacity.
That's not how that works. 5GHz isn't more powerful. It's just a different frequency. Think of it like the nubs can't "see" 5GHz, not that they'll be overpowered by it. :)

That's not how that works. 5GHz isn't more powerful. It's just a different frequency. Think of it like the nubs can't "see" 5GHz, not that they'll be overpowered by it. :)
I understand it's not about power. They are not rated for 5GHz at all, but I'm still wondering if they would be able to pick up something from that range. I mean, a coat hanger isn't rated for OTA television, but people can make it work sometimes.

Anyone else getting a 1080Ti FE to stick in this thing? That is my last piece of the puzzle. (that and my cablemod cables... plus maybe one more m.2 to justify my z270i purchase...)

Reactions: Jspr
like this
After seeing some Ryzen reviews and benchmarks, I think 7700k is still better for gaming at 1080. Although, for 4k, it doesn't matter as much as the GPU will be the bottleneck, so an 1700 (non X) 65W TDP will have same results and run cooler. As I'll have the Dan case connected to an LG B6 in my living room, I think this configutation is what I'll go for when there's some am4 m-itx mobos and GTX1080Ti or Vega gets released.

This video is the one it makes me think that:

Yes I think the same. I work and play on an Asus PB287Q (4K) so I will give Rysen a try. Keyshot will love the two cores more and in games there will be no differnts in 4K. So now we need some ITX boards and then I will try the 1700X.

After seeing some Ryzen reviews and benchmarks, I think 7700k is still better for gaming at 1080. Although, for 4k, it doesn't matter as much as the GPU will be the bottleneck, so an 1700 (non X) 65W TDP will have same results and run cooler. As I'll have the Dan case connected to an LG B6 in my living room, I think this configutation is what I'll go for when there's some am4 m-itx mobos and GTX1080Ti or Vega gets released.

This video is the one it makes me think that:

There seems to be a ton of reviews out that are all over the place. Saw one that was within 5% of 7700k performance gaming, then another 30% lower.

From what it seems like is that motherboards are all over the place with updates and providing subpar performance.

I think this happened with Phenom X2??

Conclusion: By the time MITX boards come out, these problems should be fixed (hopefully)

So, The Cooltek LP53 with a Noctua NF-A9x14 fan and 4mm standoffs mounted in a vertical position would seem to be the best config in PWM. That was also my intuition from the start, but the 4mm standoffs are a nice addition.

I have a theory that I might even try myself.
No one has mentioned the Cooltek ITX30 because of its shortcoming: It has shorter fins than the LP53 and a 80x80x10mm fan.
However, no one ever seems to have thought of using the ITX30 with the Noctua NF-A9 (90x90x25) fan, because it's too big for the notched crevasse housing the 80m fan. But it seems to me that it will still fit on top of the ITX30 (LxWxH = 100x92x30) using zip-ties.

The ITX30 is 30mm high with a 10mm fan. The fan is recessed into the heat-sink by what looks like 2mm, meaning that the copper's maximum high is actually 22mm. This means that one can fit a full sized Noctua NF-A9 onto a ITX30 heat-sink and its total height would be 47mm. If you subtract to that the 3mm shaved off thanks to shorter 4mm standoffs, you'd even have some space between the fan body and the case panel to dampen turbulence.

The main question is: Does having a full sized fan overcompensate for the smaller fin density? That, I don't know, but I'm extremely confident that it is!

If you compare the specs of the Noctua NF-A9 vs the NF-A9x14, the larger one is just so much better in every single aspect: noise, max+min rpm speed. Even the airflow is 56% higher!
However, if you compare the specs of the LP53 vs the ITX30 side by side (German site), the loss of fin surface on top is considerable (25% maybe?), but I'm sure that the superior fan will be able to push away the heat fast enough for that to not be a problem. Aside from that they're exactly the same.

Something to think about.

do it and tell us! (y)

Yes I think the same. I work and play on an Asus PB287Q (4K) so I will give Rysen a try. Keyshot will love the two cores more and in games there will be no differnts in 4K. So now we need some ITX boards and then I will try the 1700X.
Some reviews are stating that the ryzen chips perform the same. The last one I saw had a 1700 and 1700x overclocked to 3.9GHz where the 1700 needed 1.3v and the 1700x needed 1.35v. I'm thinking that the extra voltage needed might be because of the xfr or whatever they call it. Performance was very close for both cpus where the 1700x had a few fps over the non x.

Has somebody received their cablemod cables yet?
I would like to order mine but I need the exact lengths before I am gonna spend the money.

Does anyone know the prior requirements for the EVGA step-up program? just bought my 1080 a month ago.

Does anyone know the prior requirements for the EVGA step-up program? just bought my 1080 a month ago.
http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
  • Register your qualifying 3 Year Warranty product purchased new from an authorized reseller within 14 days of your original purchase date.
    • If you should happen to miss your 14 day registration window on your qualifying 3 Year Warranty product then you may also purchase an extended warranty within 90 days of your original purchase date to enable the Step-Up option.
    • Don't worry, your Extended Warranty and Advanced RMA (EAR) purchases now transfers to your new Step-Up product!
  • The EVGA Step-Up program is currently only available to residents of the United States, Canada, and EU Countries.

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
  • Register your qualifying 3 Year Warranty product purchased new from an authorized reseller within 14 days of your original purchase date.
    • If you should happen to miss your 14 day registration window on your qualifying 3 Year Warranty product then you may also purchase an extended warranty within 90 days of your original purchase date to enable the Step-Up option.
    • Don't worry, your Extended Warranty and Advanced RMA (EAR) purchases now transfers to your new Step-Up product!
  • The EVGA Step-Up program is currently only available to residents of the United States, Canada, and EU Countries.
Does this require the card to have been unopened? as well, when i bought it it didnt have warranty can i still buy warranty and be included in the stepup program?

The last one I saw had a 1700 and 1700x overclocked to 3.9GHz where the 1700 needed 1.3v and the 1700x needed 1.35v. I'm thinking that the extra voltage needed might be because of the xfr or whatever they call it.

No the extra voltage was needed because every CPU is different. If you buy 10x 1700x some of them will need 1,4V for 3,9Ghz, some 1,3V and some golden ones only 1,25V or less. It is hadware lottery like for every CPU or GPU.

Does this require the card to have been unopened? as well, when i bought it it didnt have warranty can i still buy warranty and be included in the stepup program?
Step up program is for trading in your used cards for an upgrade. I would contact cs or start the process to make sure your card is eligible.

Back