DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Any US customers cases actually leave germany yet? Mine hasn't left Rodgau in days.
Negative ghost rider. Next Thursday is the current date for DHL to pick up tye cases. Some of is still don't have a shipping label or notification.

Anyone who is concidering putting a Ryzen into the dan a4

Would you go 1700 or 1700x? I know the only difference between the 1700-1800x is binning, the chips are identical.

However the 1700 is 65w and the 1700x is 95w. Due to AMD using soldered chips (Thank god) I would say the temps would be down alot and if the 1700x can manage max 70-80c inside the dan A4 I could see myself getting one without fear of it thermal throttling.

if what you said about the binning is true, then you could run an 1800x at 1700 speeds and it would probably support lower voltages for less heat. but this is speculation until someone tests it. in the real world, if you're trying to run a ryzen in this case, you might as well save money and buy the normal lower power version. but I wouldn't suggest buying ANY ryzen now, because we don't know how well it'll work in this case. people might find that the intel chips are more efficient and therefore run faster and quieter in practice

So i just tried to change cooler on CPU.

Heatsink is for both cases from Cryoric C7.
Full load with HeavyLoad for 15 minutes.
Room temperature: 21C

C7 fan: idle: 35-38C, Full-load: 75-78C
Noctua A9x14: idle: 38-43C, Full-load: 76-80C

I will stay with Noctua now, because it is significantly quieter.
C7 is noisy almost like vacum-cleaner when it goes over 60C.

I have also Cooltek LP53 on the way now, so i will test it later (planned combo: LP53 copper heatsink + Noctua A9x14)

The LP53 and NH-L9i perform almost identical. I have tested all three coolers. You can find a large amount of tests of different CPU+cooler combinations here:

https://do cs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aZfTysWc4dtJC33qkLCjLkhPnzVLtbCtjpxoZeT92ZA/htmlview#gid=0

Feel free to join us. :)

Have you done some tests on temps on all coolers ??

Still waiting for the case. I finally got the cpu and the mainboard (Asus) should arrive this Monday.
As soon as I get the case I will start to go through all coolers on a daily basis (testing one per day) incuding some acoustic noise meassurements.
When I have determined the best three or so I will try to get one weekend of access to the better instruments through some friends. can't promise anything there though.

I found a heatsinks which looks quite promising from the specs and nobody here has mentioned it yet ;-)

In the computerbase.de forum some had the same problem. It looks like the backplate of the GPU is heating up the PSU.
One suggested to put some isolation material (in his case of the PSU packaging) between PSU und GPU, which solved the problem in his case.

Here a link to his post including picture: https://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1651725&page=18&p=19795435#post19795435

Following up on this, as I mentioned before, my SF450 fan spun quite loudly after 5 min GPU load. The fan also spun on idle (though slowly) most of the time. Swapped for an SF600 and the fan never spun on idle and took a while to turn on during full GPU load, even then it's very quiet. I've now tested the SF600 with/without backing material.

My setup: Asrock Z270 Fatality, i5 7400, Noctua L9i, MSI Gaming X 1060 (has a pretty thick back plate), Dan A4.
Test: Kombustor memory burn, Prime95, MPC-HC with madVR (GNU very high)

All tests were done with the case fully assembled shortly after a cold boot (at least 30 min off between tests). Room temp 21C. GPU fan 1300-1400RPM, CPU fan 1300-1400RPM.

1. No backing material
- Fan turns on after 9:30min, GPU at 57C, CPU at 52C
- At 10min on the bench, GPU at 58C, CPU at 53C
- Fan turns off on idle after 4:45mins, GPU at 31C, CPU at 37C

2. PSU foam material (~3-4mm but GPU touches side panel)
- Fan turns on after 14:00min, GPU at 59C, CPU at 54C
- At 10min on the bench, GPU at 58C, CPU at 53C
- Fan turns off on idle after 5:00min, GPU at 33C, CPU at 38C

3. PSU foam material (~1.5mm)
- Fan turns on after 11:45min, GPU at 59C, CPU at 53C
- At 10min on the bench, GPU at 59C, CPU at 53C
- Fan turns off on idle after 2:45min, GPU at 35C, CPU at 39C

4. Paper (A4 sheet folded to the dimensions of the PSU)
- Fan turns on after 13:00min, GPU at 58C, CPU at 53C
- At 10min on the bench, GPU at 57C, CPU at 52C
- Fan turns off on idle after 5:30min, GPU at 30C, CPU at 37C

I opted for the 1.5mm foam.

Last edited:
Sooo, did anyone try using this: Dynatron K129 + Noctua A9x14?
I have not seen this kind of "combo" yet.

Mg0Na15.jpg

I've had this for one week. Should the status have changed by now? Singapore here.

Mg0Na15.jpg

I've had this for one week. Should the status have changed by now? Singapore here.

That means, that Dan printed your shipment information (label with address) along with others and he is in process of marking the packages (cases) with that DHL printed shipment information (label).
When he has enough packages prepared and labelled, DHL will pick them up at once.

I had it the same. It can take up to 14 days, but automatic system sent this tracking info message right-away when he printed your label (because it is connected with your email address obviously).

Dan,
Is there a phone number of the shipping address? I ask because DHL usually calls me before delivering a package.

Thanks for the pictures. Don't forget to put a bit of electrical tape onto the PCH to correct the emissivity (read for short explanation and good post by FLIR on how to correct it).

About the power design of this motherboard. It is certainly not a usual layout and I don't yet fully understand how exactly it works (I don't see enough MOSFETs for example). I am however pretty sure it is properly cooled and doesn't need a heatsink as long as there is some airflow and the case temperature isn't too high.

usual layout:
View attachment 17729

Asus STRIX Z270I:
View attachment 17727 View attachment 17728

Finally had a minute to take some measurements. Ambient temperature is ~22°C. Prime95 blend has been running for about 15 minutes before measuring. To recap HW, this is a z270i with 7700k on stock BIOS config, and for CPU cooling I'm still on L9i with NF-B9 redux. LP53 and ITX30 arrived yesterday, but that'll be a project for another day..

FLIR0030 and FLIR0031 are images of the VRMs. I didn't try to get electrical tape down in there, I assume the emissivity of an epoxy package is pretty OK. Looks like 70-80°C. Any idea what's expected for these parts? I neglected to measure the VRMs of my previous Gigabyte h170n with a 6600, but those seemed to run happily with no stock heatsinks of any sort.

FLIR0035 is an image of the PCH and the bottom half of the M.2 heatsink contraption. I'm not sure if the bead blasting and anodization affects emissivity, but with or without electrical tape the reading is within 1°C of each other. I'll see if I can grab some kapton tape from work, I didn't want to leave the electrical tape on too long as the adhesive turns into such a mess at any appreciable temperature. I did let it warm up for a minute and watched it with the camera and the temp didn't continue to rise any after it stabilized at ~52°C. I'm guessing with such low thermal mass of the tape that is in fact the temperature of the heatsink.

For now I've installed the M.2 card in the bottom slot. Once the A4 arrives and I have a riser cable to play with, I can flip the board over and measure the M.2 on both sides. I'm not sure how hot it runs under load or where thermal throttling kicks in, but top-side mounting does seem like it's going to be concentrating a lot of heat in one area with only a heat spreader to deal with it all. Maybe there's enough airflow coming off the CPU cooler to keep it managed..

Attachments

• FLIR0030.jpg
    FLIR0030.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 81
  • FLIR0031.jpg
    FLIR0031.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 82
  • FLIR0035.jpg
    FLIR0035.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
And unrelated to all of the thermal nonsense, I discovered that a quarter-wave 2.4GHz RP-SMA works fine to handle Bluetooth, and its small stature should better match the A4 compared to the remote-mount monstrosities that the motherboards are shipping with these days :) If you don't need wireless, you only need to connect an antenna to the top port on the z270i (or the right-hand port, when looking from the rear, of the h270n).

http://www.digikey.com/short/32tj5h

Attachments

• 2017-02-26 23.55.13.jpg
    2017-02-26 23.55.13.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 95
Just thought I'd share some preliminary data on the IS-40V3 testing with the Noctua A9x14 fan on an open bench (well, I covered half of it with a cardboard box).

With my 7600K delided, I can overclock it to 4.6 ghz at 1.175 volts (1.675 with vdroop) and maintain an average core temperature of 76 degrees C during Asus Realbench testing (which also includes the iGPU on the chip). The cores can spike up to 82 degrees C, but it doesn't happen very often nor does it stay there for very long. I have the fan spinning from around 1400-1600 rpm, only kicking to 2500 rpm if the core temperature reaches 90 degrees C. For all intents and purposes it's quiet.

I think this is a pretty decent result, but I'll have to wait for the case to arrive before I can give more data.

FLIR0030 and FLIR0031 are images of the VRMs. I didn't try to get electrical tape down in there, I assume the emissivity of an epoxy package is pretty OK. Looks like 70-80°C. Any idea what's expected for these parts? I neglected to measure the VRMs of my previous Gigabyte h170n with a 6600, but those seemed to run happily with no stock heatsinks of any sort.
Jup, black epoxy resin has an emissivity factor somewhere around 0.95 which is good. The maximum (safe) case temperature for these MOSFETs is probably around 120°C. However, I would recommend keeping it bellow 100°C because above that you can slowly damage the PCB (it will still work but It can start to look really nasty).

And unrelated to all of the thermal nonsense, I discovered that a quarter-wave 2.4GHz RP-SMA works fine to handle Bluetooth, and its small stature should better match the A4 compared to the remote-mount monstrosities that the motherboards are shipping with these days :) If you don't need wireless, you only need to connect an antenna to the top port on the z270i (or the right-hand port, when looking from the rear, of the h270n).

It looks so tiny xD

Try to have a fan blowing air towards it. If the psu fan stops with the fan directing airflow, you know that the problem is the temperature and not the load, which would mean that the psu is not defective.

All in all, I am convinced this is a design choice that can't be fixed. The psu needs to be thermally-protected, and that only happens if the fan is temperature-controlled. It happend with a Silverstone unit, If I'm not mistaken, that it was only load-controlled and thus would fail (it would trip) in computers with poor or no airflow.

I tried your suggestion and the fan turns off. It even turns off if I blow air from my mouth gently towards it (but starts again soon after). I must have a heat-sensitive unit then, where everything works, but the fan is kind of aggressive.

My idea was to have a semi-passive system, so I guess I have to look at the SF450 instead as it may not get as warm.

Those are kind of adorable. :)

However, I have to say, I still love my 8 inch monstrosities - sticking up from the back of my Raven RVZ01, it gets me a lot of comments along the lines of, "what is that?"

Much more preferable to, "oh, is that an xbox?"

AMD NDA lifts tomorrow. There are some really nice perf numbers in the chinese forums indicating that it should be a very competitive cpu. Thursday!!! I need my case!

However, I have to say, I still love my 8 inch monstrosities - sticking up from the back of my Raven RVZ01, it gets me a lot of comments along the lines of, "what is that?"
"
According to my limited experiments with different length replacement antennas for my motherboard, as far as wifi reception goes,
size matters.

Yup, I don't think the performance is there for me to upgrade from my 5820k. Games for the most part don't get insanely better performance. Granted, you will probably get loads better performance from an overclocked R7 1700 while still keeping it cooler than a 5820k. I'm just glad no itx boards will be released soon because I don't think I could keep myself from going red.

Pretty sure I just received a used L9i from Noctua on Amazon even though it was sold as new. Wonder if it belonged to one of you originally. Anyway pretty frustrated about having to go through getting it exchanged.

Is there one this size for wireless AC? I'm ordering one for bluetooth - thanks.

If you use two of the ones you linked to, would you get wifi 2.4 as well? That'd be fine actually.

Going through different antenna on digikey... I wonder how much of a faraday-cage-effect the case has? I'm thinking about some of these internal antenna... Or maybe a block or stub we can stick in the hole above the graphics card mount?
(Digikey... your frequency selector is absolutely the worst imaginable. Feel free to continue never improving your site)

I tried your suggestion and the fan turns off. It even turns off if I blow air from my mouth gently towards it (but starts again soon after). I must have a heat-sensitive unit then, where everything works, but the fan is kind of aggressive.

My idea was to have a semi-passive system, so I guess I have to look at the SF450 instead as it may not get as warm.

What makes you think that the SF450 won't get as warm? They will dissipate the same heat, and they will absorb the same heat from the same system. They should show the same behaviour.

Going through different antenna on digikey... I wonder how much of a faraday-cage-effect the case has? I'm thinking about some of these internal antenna... Or maybe a block or stub we can stick in the hole above the graphics card mount?
(Digikey... your frequency selector is absolutely the worst imaginable. Feel free to continue never improving your site)

I personally think Digikey has one of the best param search engines. Especially because for integrated circuits they list the package name given by the manufacturer and the closest standard package. This makes is much easier to search for a specific package.

dondan, what's the correct positioning of the 3M raiser cable, on the back of the GPU or behind the motherboard? Mine did come (from the box/factory) on the motherboard side, so i mounted it over the raiser but now i'm actually worried about not puncturing it with the C7 mounting screws because on the other peoples photos they have the raiser mounted on the GPU side. What should i do?
Do you guys have some thoughts?

dondan, what's the correct positioning of the 3M raiser cable, on the back of the GPU or behind the motherboard? Mine did come (from the box/factory) on the motherboard side, so i mounted it over the raiser but now i'm actually worried about not puncturing it with the C7 mounting screws because on the other peoples photos they have the raiser mounted on the GPU side. What should i do?
Do you guys have some thoughts?
You do sqeeuze the riser between the mounting screws with the C7 so I just mounted it behind the GPU. Fits fine even with a backplate.

Is there one this size for wireless AC? I'm ordering one for bluetooth - thanks.

If you use two of the ones you linked to, would you get wifi 2.4 as well? That'd be fine actually.

I can do some testing with this, but I'd imagine it should be fine. They make 1/2 and full wave (and many others, RF is an endlessly deep rabbit hole) as well. My wireless router currently sits below the PC and is connected via cable anyway, so I only need the antenna for Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

jtcera if you or someone else wants to take up some range/power testing, I'll send out a set of 1/4, 1/2, and full wave in exchange for your thoroughly conducted review, comparing and contrasting with the stock antennas that come with the boards :)

Which internal antennas are you referring to? Most boards with integrated wireless have connectors on the IO panel, no? You can certainly run a feedline from the IPEX connector or whatever on the wireless card to an RP-SMA on the chassis, like the stock setup on the h170n.

Attachments

• 2017-02-27 18.30.05.jpg
    2017-02-27 18.30.05.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 67
  • 2017-02-27 18.36.15.jpg
    2017-02-27 18.36.15.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 64
ID Cooling also makes the IS-50, which has one more heatpipe, should be able to fit a thin 92mm or 120mm fan under the fins, and will comfortably be <48mm high with an underslung fan. The bad news is that availability is similar to the IS-40 (eBay or Aliexpress) and I can't find any reviews.

/watch?v=JZPRe81cLmc

I was looking at this to find an original solution. This reviewer says it's really bad.

I can do some testing with this, but I'd imagine it should be fine. They make 1/2 and full wave (and many others, RF is an endlessly deep rabbit hole) as well. My wireless router currently sits below the PC and is connected via cable anyway, so I only need the antenna for Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

jtcera if you or someone else wants to take up some range/power testing, I'll send out a set of 1/4, 1/2, and full wave in exchange for your thoroughly conducted review, comparing and contrasting with the stock antennas that come with the boards :)

Which internal antennas are you referring to? Most boards with integrated wireless have connectors on the IO panel, no? You can certainly run a feedline from the IPEX connector or whatever on the wireless card to an RP-SMA on the chassis, like the stock setup on the h170n.

The little tiny ones will only do 2.4Ghz wifi, so no AC.

I'm referring to ones like these, so I don't have to have any antenna hanging out
https://www.digikey.com/product-det...y-amp-connectors/2118060-1/A107430-ND/3915263
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/taoglas-limited/FXP830.24.0100B/931-1318-ND/4849884
https://www.digikey.com/product-det...y-amp-connectors/1513472-5/A107425-ND/3915254

Oh right, I forgot AC is at 5GHz. Higher frequency == shorter wavelength though, so the poster above who thought size matters was correct, but likely not in the direction they were implying ;)

I appreciate the offer, but I live in such a small apartment that I'd be a bad candidate. I ordered 2x of the smallest ones. :) thanks for showing me these.

Only manufacture i got answer about Minitx to Ryzen are Gigabyte.

End of March or begining of April.

Hope some come earlier

Back