DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Did you modify anything that adds height to the mobo or the heatsink? I have a C7 in my Dan A4 and have no trouble closing the sidepanel. Also a lot of guys on German forums installed C7s and I did not read of any problem..

Just registered to leave my two cents regarding this..
I switched the C7 stock fan for the Noctua A9x14 fan yesterday. After booting the pc I detached the sidepanel again to see if the fan was even spinning because I did not hear it..
Running Prime tests I only noticed a silent whisper. Nothing I would consider bothering and nowhere annoying like C7 stock. Temperatures rose about 3° but I don't have any problem with that.
Having seen/heard this I immediately canceled my orders of the NH-L9i and SST-AR05 as I am happy with both temps and noise of C7 heatsink + A9x14 fan.
Added test results for my Xeon E3-1230 v3 to Shaav's google doc.

About mounting the fan to the heatsink I found some examples on German forums:
zip ties:
View attachment 17084
wire:
View attachment 17085
nails :eek::
View attachment 17083
s-hooks + tension spring:
View attachment 17086

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Trying to visualize, how would you strap a zip-tie on the C7 heatsink? still baffled.

I know... I can't really return my XT140 just because it performs worse, I've already opened and used it. :p

I guess I'll have to take off my case side off for the time being, until a good cooling solution has been found, it sucks :(
dude thank you thank you thank you!!! I wish more ppl saw this issue as we do!! if I could reach through the internet I would shake you hand! I fucking hate seeing ppl do that. "blah blah bitch bitch, kaby not OC as fast as I EXPECTED, ill exchange it try another. nope still not as fast as I EXPECT. returned. fuck you kaby!" or this one almost made me loose my shit "so ive been mining on these gpus for almost three months and I changed my mind I don't want them. returned." no! fuck off! you don't get to return shit like that, it abusing the system and fucks over the store and potentially anyone that, usually unknowing, ends up with your returned product. un-opened and un-used returns only for me.

I may have a few Nexus Low-7000's available to part with, for those located in the US. I'll know more when they arrive in the middle of next week.

For those planning X99 builds in the A4, I wanted to follow up on dondan's comment that the Nexus LOW-7000 provides the best cooling performance and how to attach it to the Asrock X99 ITX board. I've used the dynatron t318 for over a year and have found the cooling performance to be subpar, Dan recommended the Nexus LOW-7000 as a possible option and had the best cooling of anything tested. Here's what you need to attach it to the Narrow ILM socket on the Asrock X99 board:

1. Nexus LOW-7000: remove the bottom aluminum fins that attach directly to the heat pipes; also remove the included fan from the heat sink
2. Thermalright Narrow ILM kit: you'll need to use a saw and cut the narrow cross bars on one end of the adapter, this is so the heat pipes of the Nexus LOW-7000 cooler can be routed upwards properly.
3. Thermalright TY-100 100mm fan or Noctua's 92mm thin fan: you'll slide this beneath upper aluminum fins in place of the lower aluminum fins and attach to the upper fins with zip ties
4. The crossbar attachment for the heatsink, the 4 LGA 2011 adapter posts, and the four corresponding screws from any Thermalright cooler mounting kit (such as the axp-100), these attach to the Thermalright narrow ILM kit (instructions are on the box)

See below for the finished product on the Asrock X99E-ITX/ac. I'm confident that this solution will perform much better than the dynatron t318!

Uunw8MC.jpg

FypKSZU.jpg

Those are the coolers that require low-profile RAM right?

They don't require low profile RAM! If you used low profile RAM I believe you could fit a slim 120mm fan under this heat sink as well.

Last edited:
Highly interested. How much money, do you estimate?

I'm not sure, first I need them to be delivered, so I can make sure they are in okay condition. I don't think they are brand new, which shouldn't make a difference as long as they have all the screws, brackets, ect.

For those planning X99 builds in the A4, I wanted to follow up on dondan's comment that the Nexus LOW-7000 provides the best cooling performance and how to attach it to the Asrock X99 ITX board. I've used the dynatron t318 for over a year and have found the cooling performance to be subpar, Dan recommended the Nexus LOW-7000 as a possible option and had the best cooling of anything tested. Here's what you need to attach it to the Narrow ILM socket on the Asrock X99 board:

1. Nexus LOW-7000: remove the bottom aluminum fins that attach directly to the heat pipes; also remove the included fan from the heat sink
2. Thermalright Narrow ILM kit: you'll need to use a saw and cut the narrow cross bars on one end of the adapter, this is so the heat pipes of the Nexus LOW-7000 cooler can be routed upwards properly.
3. Thermalright TY-100 100mm fan or Noctua's 92mm thin fan: you'll slide this beneath upper aluminum fins in place of the lower aluminum fins and attach to the upper fins with zip ties
4. The crossbar attachment for the heatsink, the 4 LGA 2011 adapter posts, and the four corresponding screws from any Thermalright cooler mounting kit (such as the axp-100), these attach to the Thermalright narrow ILM kit (instructions are on the box)

See below for the finished product on the Asrock X99E-ITX/ac. I'm confident that this solution will perform much better than the dynatron t318!

They don't require low profile RAM! If you used low profile RAM I believe you could fit a slim 120mm fan under this heat sink as well.

Cool! Do you have any pictures of how you modified the mounting bracket?

You want to provide a link? A google, ebay, and amazon search turns up nothing for me.

It is because it's under a different brand.

Did anybody that have the Nexus Low 7000 R2 noticed something at the box of the cooler?

I did noticed this on the box of my cooler...
ur57vk7l2f55glczg.jpg

I googled CoolJag and found this...
cc201304021652415902.png

The CoolJag Falcon 2. It's the same as the Nexus Low 7000 (not the R2)

It is available at the following sites;

Schneider-Consulting-Elektronik - Listed as compatible with LGA 1366/1156/775

Orbit Micro - Listed as compatible with LGA 775/1366

Antares Pro - Listed as compatible with LGA 1366/1356/1156/1155/1150/775

Frozen CPU - Listed as compatible with LGA 1366 only

The downside is that the cooler is a bit on the expensive side, around $40+. The mounting compatibility is also sketchy, differs from every seller but the CoolJag site indicates that it is compatible with Intel sockets 1366/1356/1156/1155/ 775. And how stable the four heatpipes at the CPU block are once the skivetek heatsink is removed/unscrewed.

Last edited:

Did anybody that have the Nexus Low 7000 R2 noticed something at the box of the cooler?

cc201304021652415902.png

The downside is that the cooler is a bit on the expensive side, around $40+.

very nice!! you can even use liquid metal thermal paste on it because is copper on the bottom http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/8624/cpu-cjg-31_3.jpg

So the c7+noctua fan works well enough, thanks for the information and tests.

Will the lp-53 + noctua fan perform better than the c7+noctua fan?

What about noise with side panel? Won't the LP53 + noctua fan be quieter since it's overall height will be lower than C7 + noctua fan?

The LP53 will be quieter, every cooler smaller then the C7 is quieter with the Noctua fan. And no, the C7 isnt a silent wonder now with the Noctua fan, he is still noisy

The LP53 will be quieter, every cooler smaller then the C7 is quieter with the Noctua fan. And no, the C7 isnt a silent wonder now with the Noctua fan, he is still noisy

Someone earlier said: "But if you want to be quiet, lp53(40mm height) is worth it."

Yeah, that's significantly lower height for the same performance with the noctua fan. Just making sure my effort to implement the LP53 isn't lost since I already own the C7.

cc201304021652415902.png

The downside is that the cooler is a bit on the expensive side, around $40+. The mounting compatibility is also sketchy, differs from every seller but the CoolJag site indicates that it is compatible with Intel sockets 1366/1356/1156/1155/ 775. And how stable the four heatpipes at the CPU block are once the skivetek heatsink is removed/unscrewed.

Thanks! I took a risk and ordered one of these from Frozen CPU.

Really nice to see same cooler in another brand.

Wounder if it will be possible to get AM4 mounting kit to that cooler, have buyed it direct if i got that confirmed or is it hard to do a own mounting kit ??

Really nice to see same cooler in another brand.

Wounder if it will be possible to get AM4 mounting kit to that cooler, have buyed it direct if i got that confirmed or is it hard to do a own mounting kit ??

Thermalright's Narrow ILM adapter works with this cooler and mounts to either Intel Narrow 2011 socket or AMD's AM3 socket. Do we know how AM4 compares to AM3? If the coolers are compatible this will work with that as well.

Thermalright's Narrow ILM adapter works with this cooler and mounts to either Intel Narrow 2011 socket or AMD's AM3 socket. Do we know how AM4 compares to AM3? If the coolers are compatible this will work with that as well.

Alot of cooler brands have confirmed they will give out free mounting kits to AM4 so i think its all new to AM3.

Noctua, Cryorig, Phanteks, Coolermaster and more in Sweden not checked other countries policies.

All will be collected on Monday or Tuesday.

How long can we expect for shipping from Germany to US? I'd assume around two weeks with all the water in the way. I'm planning a trip around the arrival of my case. Real important stuff...

I doubt you're using consumer shipping, but I was only able to get DHL quotes for 2-3 day shipping from Germany to US.

I emailed noctua ([email protected]) about the those metal retention clips from the NH-L9x65 bundle, and they said they would send me a pair for free with proof of purchase of the NF-A9x14 fan. Really nice of them!
Nice! I will do the same when I get my lp53+a9x14 then :) That is really a nice service.

The mounting compatibility is also sketchy, differs from every seller but the CoolJag site indicates that it is compatible with Intel sockets 1366/1356/1156/1155/ 775. And how stable the four heatpipes at the CPU block are once the skivetek heatsink is removed/unscrewed.

The second problem I encountered with the Falcon II was the mounting solution for LGA 1156 motherboards -- or lack thereof. The Falcon II comes readily adjustable for LGA 775 and 1366 mobos, but the third set of holes that were supposed to be for 1156 are too small for the provided mounting screws. It's like whoever made the Falcon II used the wrong drill bit, but made a hole anyway in the perfect spot. Using a dremel tool, I carved out the metal in between the LGA 775 and 1366 holes to create a slide-like hole (I would recommend using a drill-bit to bore out the 1156 hole instead of a metal disk like I used to cut everything out). After this mod, I simply made sure all the mounting studs were evenly spaced between where the LGA 775 and 1366 holes used to be. The included thermal paste is, surprisingly, top-notch stuff: Shin-Etsu X23-7762. It is [H]ard to spread, in my experience, but has achieved great results in various reviews.

This fan was reviewed here back in 2010, and I quoted the mounting compatibility fix with the 115x

Hi guys, i was trying to find out the clearance on the Nexus/Cooljag cooler, so we can figure out the height of RAM that would be OK to fit underneath the heat sink.

I found this iamdarkyoshi's review on linustechtips:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...xus-low-7000-cpu-cooler-20-plus-sh-on-amazon/

He seems to be using Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 RAM, which has a height of 44mm, as you can see it fits fine underneath the heat sink in the picture he has posted.

I am very happy with that as my Trident Zs are 44mm in height also, so if i use the a9x14 fan underneath the heat sink everything should fit just fine, the trident Zs are pretty tall for RAM, so most peoples RAM should be just fine if you intend to install a 92mm fan.

I hope this clears things up for some people, please don't feel like you HAVE to buy new ultra low profile RAM unless you really really want that 120mm fan underneath.

I went to the coolJag website and subtracted the height of the fan from the cooler, it comes out to around 50mm tall. Since the case only allows up to 48mm cooler height isn't this an issue? Not sure if the original poster fit his into the case. If not I'd be willing to test with a 120mm Scythe Slip Stream 2000rpm fan. Might need to remove the heat spreaders on my gskill ram but willing to try.

Can someone confirm if the 50mm height would work?

I went to the coolJag website and subtracted the height of the fan from the cooler, it comes out to around 50mm tall. Since the case only allows up to 48mm cooler height isn't this an issue? Not sure if the original poster fit his into the case. If not I'd be willing to test with a 120mm Scythe Slip Stream 2000rpm fan. Might need to remove the heat spreaders on my gskill ram but willing to try.

If the case is perfectly built, you have 50mm of space.

50mm is max but for example the thermalake apx-100 muscle at 52 mm is too much

Shaav answered this a few pages back

Because that was the official number (including some manufacturing tolerance etc.). If the case is perfectly built, you have 50mm of space.

And Dan posted a drawing of the height of the cooler after the mod

1cb4e12d4a.jpg

It will just about fit, and it shouldn't make much noise as the fan is way below the side of the case underneath the heat sink

Increasing the stability of the shroud

Thats not even the problem. There are few problems:
  • CPU are different, doesnt matter if the run @ same vcore
  • I doubt that the people really know their ambient temperature
  • Everyone is using different thermalpaste
  • The test parameters are probably different and not documanted (sidepanel off, which RPM are the running at etc)
  • If someone only tested one cooler, then his temps are pretty useless since u cant vaildate the data

Thats the reason why i dont trusts most of the results, only those where i know that they make sure the have the same test parametes with their coolers.

Exactly, that is what I meant with the second part. Most people don't really now how to isolate one parameter and meassure it properly (because they don't have to know it).

ur57vk7l2f55glczg.jpg

cc201304021652415902.png

I just ordered from Frozen CPU. I love that site. So... to confirm I'm going to mount the noctua 14mm fan on this using the rubber pegs and I don't have to worry too much about ram height. (I have G.skill Tridentz)

I just ordered from Frozen CPU. I love that site. So... to confirm I'm going to mount the noctua 14mm fan on this using the rubber pegs and I don't have to worry too much about ram height. (I have G.skill Tridentz)

Looks like the base of the cooljag is copper with a mirror finish, and not direct heatpipe like the R2. Someone with both will have to test with the same system and conditions to determine which is better. I'll be reporting on the Jag, but my 7700k delid is quite the edge case. Hopefully someone acquires both.

Jag

upload_2017-2-16_16-50-6.png

Versus R2

upload_2017-2-16_16-50-29.png

Back