DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

From the spreadsheet it looks like the 14mm A9 fan on the C7 gives you roughly the same C7 performance (which looks modestly better than the L9i) but with quieter fan speeds. I wonder if the additional 1mm clearance you obtain with the shorter fan adds to that.

Guys! I have some amazing news for those of you wanting to use CableMod.com!!!

After some lengthy discussion with a PR Rep, they have agreed to make an exception for Dan A4-SFX users on the length issue!! Being that they have factories in both the U.S. and the EU, this should be pretty good news for just about everybody. I have posted the full conversation behind a spoiler tag, but the most important quote is the following...

I really didn't want to spend a weekend making cables. Score!

Nice!
Please inform us how we can order 150mm cables.

Can anyone please tell me the size of the case box? The actual box in witch the case comes.

I wonder if there's a version of this $10 hole cutter up to 120mm that can do aluminum. I think a perfect 92mm hole in the side can potentially look OK. Upgrading motherboards with the CPU fan in a different location would not be cool though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wonder if there's a version of this $10 hole cutter up to 120mm that can do aluminum. I think a perfect 92mm hole in the side can potentially look OK. Upgrading motherboards with the CPU fan in a different location would not be cool though.

Why not fabricate a plexiglass panel with vent holes? You have a cool looking case and individualized too and you don't mess with the original stuff.

2mm is not enough. This will lead to a noisy fan. I would recommend around 5mm of empty space to guarantee a quiet fan.

Can unfortunately confirm the noise from the C7 is this quite annoying medium pitched air noise. (even when idle) Oh well. Just ordered the Noctua.
The dust filters seem a bit on the small side btw, like half a cm length wise and a few mm on the gpu side in height. Bought mine from caseking.

Have you tried without the dust filters? They could be restricting the airflow making it noisier. The C7 looks very nice, shame if it noisy in this case...

Is there any update as to when the Window kit may become available, and also what sort of price it will be?

Guessing Dan will switch focus onto this when all the boxes are gone, but was pondering mabe getting some glass cut myself for the sides.

natsksmkufstbev.jpg

rpcviqrjazsjvun.jpg

npaypeicrkocmn.jpg

The C7 is pretty noise with side panels.

Corsair Vengeance LED white 16GB 3000MHz

Didn't have time to wait for RGB :)

I see you have more or less the same parts that I'll have... I'd like to order custom lenght cables, could you do something for me ? If you could tell me what length I should order for 24pin ATX, 8pin CPU and 8pin PCIE, that could be very nice... :whistle:

Just heard back from CableMod.com support. They said if you need a short ATX cable to place the order first and then directly message the support team with your order number and the necessary ATX cable length...

Also, can anyone confirm the necessary PCIe 8 or 6-pin cable length? Someone mentioned 200mm but that seems short seeing as where it needs to route. I'm thinking 250-300mm? I'm using the Corsair SF600 and 980 Ti Reference. Any minimum GPU cable length measurements from current builds would be greatly appreciated!

I see you have more or less the same parts that I'll have... I'd like to order custom lenght cables, could you do something for me ? If you could tell me what length I should order for 24pin ATX, 8pin CPU and 8pin PCIE, that could be very nice... :whistle:

Haha looks like we're on the same mission there Yoshikan. I'm guessing this:

24 pin ATX = 150mm
8pin EPS = 300mm
PCIe = 250mm

Any help would be appreciated!

Haha looks like we're on the same mission there Yoshikan. I'm guessing this:

24 pin ATX = 150mm
8pin EPS = 300mm
PCIe = 250mm

Any help would be appreciated!

Perfect thank you ! I get my case on monday. That means two long days to watch this thread... Can't wait anymore xD

I will do custom cables myself when I get the time. You don't really know how much extra you need for bends etcetera.

This is my estimation.

Shortest way
24pin 10 cm
8pin CPU 20 cm
8pin GPU 20 cm (Depends on how you will route it. I did it behind the GPU and PSU)
Edit: Sleeved cables would probably not be able to be routed between the GPU and PSU.

Estimation to fit
24pin 15 cm
8pin CPU 25cm
8pin GPU 25 cm

ankfajpwltlhcqj.jpg

Last edited:
I think for the Asus Z270I, with bending, you would want 300mm for the EPS cable as it's 3/4 of the way down the mainboard away from the PSU. I did a very lazy measurement (with a tape measure and just imagining where the PSU would sit next to the board, which I have) and it was about 11.5 inches with bending. As you say it's all speculating until you actually try and plug it in!

I think 150mm for the 24 pin would also be minimum. 100mm with bending, even if it is right next to it, is risky unless someone here confirms that length absolutely works. These are expensive, it would suck to order a cable that is too short!

Well I ordered from Cablemod the following: 150mm ATX, 300mm 6+2 pin, and 300mm EPS. I would rather they be too long than too short. (Thr SF600 comes with a 300mm ATX, 400mm EPS and 400mm 6+2 PCI-e.) I emailed them to custom order the 150mm, after placing the order. I will let everyone know how it goes.

I realize only saving 10cm seems like a waste to some, but they also look real nice...;)

GTX1080 arrived yesterday :)

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

And then it was finished!

full.jpg

full.jpg

And here it is at home, ready to use:

full.jpg

Obviously Doom runs great in 1440p with Nightmare quality settings, but - more importantly - temperatures of the CPU and the GPU are very low...

After an hour of playing Doom, the CPU fan steps up his RPM, but is barely hearable. Also: only 2 of the 3 fans of the GPU spin at average speed. Ofcourse you can hear them, but it's not like a jet-engine on the table. Configured the Asus Aura to display the LEDs on the GPU with "green" for termperatures below 70°C, then orange and red at 90°. Never saw another color than green :)

Im more interested on CPU temps with your Gpu in game. Gpu Will Always be cooler with aftermarket cards but should heat Up the air in the case and the other components.

Would someone with a C7 cooler and the A4 be willing to take a video of the difference with/without the side of the case on? I understand noise is subjective, but it could help people decide if it's too much for them.

Im also interested of temps on cpu and motherboard with blower style gpu because this get the heat out instead of dumping it in the small case as Aftermarket Gpu cards do.

Like real gaming in BF1 or other more demanding games

Just played Doom (2560 x 1080 Ultra) for around two hours and the hottest the CPU got was 60C and the GPU max was 83C. Although the ambient temp in the room is 31 C (there's a goddamn heatwave in Sydney at the moment) so delta temps of 29C for the CPU and 52C for the GPU.

You might be better off finding a friendly machinist and bringing him a case of beer to cut you a 92mm (or whatever size) hole in the side of the case for you. It's going to be orders of magnitude cleaner than trying to use a hole saw like that.

The best cooler to fit in the A4 seems to be lp53+a9 14 pwm(height:40mm). When you thought of all the noise and performance and ram clearance.

AGAIN.... About CableMod:

The rep I was speaking with just told me that you guys needed to submit a ticket emphasizing the ATX length needed BEFORE ordering! It will help the process move along more efficiently. They were unable to post here directly because of a newly created account and they asked me to post this for them.

Thanks guys!

Matt from CableMod said:
Matt
February 11, 2017 4:03 am

Hey Danny,

Sounds good, and yes I have already seen several orders based off the forums there.

I was unable to make a post on that thread because I am a new user, would you mind telling the members to submit a ticket BEFORE they make their purchase to ensure they receive the proper lengths?
They do need to contact us to ensure the measurements get adjusted.

It would be of great help to us and the users as well.

Kind regards,
Matt

I'm getting a little worried about the things people have written about C7 noise.

I am going for an i7 7700k. Can anyone tell me if the NH-L9i is sufficient for that CPU?

Thanks in advance ☺️

I also have the 7700k. I have both coolers also because like many I ordered the C7 first and then after hearing about the noise ordered the Noctua. Both came from Amazon so very easily returnable. I am tempted to test both with the 7700k and return whatever one I don't want (Amazon can afford it) but I won't be seeing my case for at least 2 weeks b/c I'm in the U.S. I'm hopeful it will come sooner but you never know...

Have you tried without the dust filters? They could be restricting the airflow making it noisier. The C7 looks very nice, shame if it noisy in this case...
With the dust filters, it's against the fan making it not properly spinning up with the sound you expect. I'm already running without dust filters.
Same goed for my gpu, but mine has been used in a vertical case so it could be warped slightly.
Got the case yesterday so i'm going to look exactly what the problem is, (actual filter or the plastic edge that sticks out a bit and that that might be pushing against the fans).

Guys, just wanted to say my C7 developed a faint clicking/tapping noise in low RPM and the fan visually seems to spin unevenly. I think it may be damaged. It is too loud with the sidepanel for my liking too, I guess I'll try out a L9i and see if it works any better.

Im more interested on CPU temps with your Gpu in game. Gpu Will Always be cooler with aftermarket cards but should heat Up the air in the case and the other components.

Well... After an hour of serious Doom action, I can say that the temperatures are quite low.
I'm running Doom in 1440p (2560x1440) on a Dell S2716DG with all the graphic options at maximum (so Nightmare where available).

These are my temperatures:

full.png

full.png

Termperatures for the CPU are a bit high, but the temperatures for the GPU are well within limits.

Guys, just wanted to say my C7 developed a faint clicking/tapping noise in low RPM and the fan visually seems to spin unevenly. I think it may be damaged. It is too loud with the sidepanel for my liking too, I guess I'll try out a L9i and see if it works any better.

That might be due to the fan being powered by pwm. It is normal. If it happens only a low rpm there is nothing to worry about, up the rpm's of the fan and it will go away.

Well... After an hour of serious Doom action, I can say that the temperatures are quite low.
I'm running Doom in 1440p (2560x1440) on a Dell S2716DG with all the graphic options at maximum (so Nightmare where available).

These are my temperatures:

full.png

Termperatures for the CPU are a bit high, but the temperatures for the GPU are well within limits.

A bit high? Do you realise your cpu was throttling? I see 100ºC...

Back