DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Calrez With 3.0 and maybe a second 3.1 cable included. Currently the count of 3.1 ITX board with internal 3.1 header is too low.

I have a problem with my C7 and z270i Strix. I decided to install some parts now and test them before my A4 arrives. But it seem to not fit with the heat sink vertical and I think this will affect the performance. Maybe I need to remove the m.2 heat sink but it would be nice to have (looks good).

Did any one encounter this?

Edit: It is no problem it is a 0,1 mm gap when installed

jamfvynptlcilna.jpg

Last edited:
I have a problem with my C7 and z270i Strix. I decided to install some parts now and test them before my A4 arrives. But it seem to not fit with the heat sink vertical and I think this will affect the performance. Maybe I need to remove the m.2 heat sink but it would be nice to have (looks good).

dkbofsuisdzvknb.jpg
remove part of the cpu heatsink (linus modded his to fit his fan)

jamfvynptlcilna.jpg
I'm confused, what's not fitting in this picture? Is it covering one of the RAM slots? This is the same combo I was going to use.

I'm confused, what's not fitting in this picture? Is it covering one of the RAM slots? This is the same combo I was going to use.

No, the corner of the m.2 shield is in the way for the heat sink.

I probably will file some of the heat fins

The ram is ok. But tight as I like it ;)

The heatsink of m.2 ssd slot on top of motherboard (http://techreport.com/r.x/2017_1_3_...rds_in_blog_post/STRIX-Z270I-GAMING-2DJPG.jpg - above pcie slot for gpu) has its right top corner going up closer to the one of the cpu holes. And thats the problem with cryorig c7. It has a wide cpu heatsing, so you will propably have to abrade that corner to fit in.

The heatsink of m.2 ssd slot on top of motherboard (http://techreport.com/r.x/2017_1_3_...rds_in_blog_post/STRIX-Z270I-GAMING-2DJPG.jpg - above pcie slot for gpu) has its right top corner going up closer to the one of the cpu holes. And thats the problem with cryorig c7. It has a wide cpu heatsing, so you will propably have to abrade that corner to fit in.
Seems like both the top and bottom halves of the m.2 heatsink are removable so we'll probably need to grind them down before it fits. Or just dremel the C7 fins back a bit

The issue: http://i.imgur.com/6ungh3T.png

Last edited:
The last component to my build besides the case arrives tomorrow... it's going to be so hard to wait to be able to do anything with these components. I'm in the U.S.

jamfvynptlcilna.jpg

False alram it fit. You probably want to install the m.2 first. The C7 heat sink didn't go as low as the m.2 heat shield. I can fit a tin paper between them (not a thick). Probably a gap of 0,1 to 0,15 mm.

To me it looks like the 3M riser cable is build like every other 3M product, with a lot of margin built in.

Thx for the second opinion, I agree, the voltage drop is probably minimal. I don't understand why the guy was saying the the 3M cable could only do 2.0A maybe he was talking about another cable.

P.S. the majority of the GPU components are powered of the 12V line and then stepped down using the VRM's to the appropriate voltages. This is simply because the 12V line can deliver the most power. Even GPUs that have additional power adapters tend to take between 50W and 75W from the PCIe connector. Tom's hardware includes these measurements in their reviews.

Here some pictures of a member in ther German Hardwareluxx forum that mounts a Nexus Low 7000 R2 on an Asrock Z97E-ITX with an Xeon 1230v3. With an FAN speed of only 1200rpm and 30min Prime95 the temps went not above 63°C. This is really good for a NOT delid Haswel.

1rdk2g.jpg

29dj3o.jpg

39yk0i.jpg

4p4kj4.jpg

5vakki.jpg

6nhj8h.jpg

7h0k5s.jpg

There will be a how to on my site if I have more time.

Here some pictures of a member in ther German Hardwareluxx forum that mounts a Nexus Low 7000 R2 on an Asrock Z97E-ITX with an Xeon 1230v3. With an FAN speed of only 1200rpm and 30min Prime95 the temps went not above 63°C. This is really good for a NOT delid Haswel.

1rdk2g.jpg

29dj3o.jpg

39yk0i.jpg

4p4kj4.jpg

5vakki.jpg

6nhj8h.jpg

7h0k5s.jpg

I'd be interested in this if it didn't cover the ram slots. Oh well. Cool nonetheless.

DHL has some maintenance, so the tracking will not work this evening.

1rdk2g.jpg

29dj3o.jpg

39yk0i.jpg

4p4kj4.jpg

5vakki.jpg

6nhj8h.jpg

7h0k5s.jpg

Was there a mod required to get that cooler to fit on the motherboard?

Was there a mod required to get that cooler to fit on the motherboard?

Not to fit the mobo rather to fit the fan. He inverted the fan mounting assembly and removed the aluminum fins from the base of the heatsink.

That looks really annoying if you need to troubleshoot or work on the ram.

Not to fit the mobo rather to fit the fan. He inverted the fan mounting assembly and removed the aluminum fins from the base of the heatsink.

That looks really annoying if you need to troubleshoot or work on the ram.

Yes that sounds like too much work for me to care.

Last edited:
I ended up getting my case last week, waiting on some parts to start my build. I purchased a 7700k and am concerned about dealing with heat Has anyone thought about water cooling the CPU. I did some measurements an I think if you use one of these small atx power supplies like "HDPLEX 300w" people have reported it can handle spikes unto 400w and you power it with an external power brick like a dell 330w ac adapter.

This psu could fit in the original ssd area I believe, leaving enough space for a AIO 120mm water cooler for the CPU. This might give you a lot more overhead to over clock.

Only down side is that you have a power brick to deal with.

Thoughts?

I ended up getting my case last week, waiting on some parts to start my build. I purchased a 7700k and am concerned about dealing with heat Has anyone thought about water cooling the CPU. I did some measurements an I think if you use one of these small atx power supplies like "HDPLEX 300w" people have reported it can handle spikes unto 400w and you power it with an external power brick like a dell 330w ac adapter.

This psu could fit in the original ssd area I believe, leaving enough space for a AIO 120mm water cooler for the CPU. This might give you a lot more overhead to over clock.

Thoughts?

Delid the CPU. Problem solved. XD

Thoughts?

overclock with 300w? no thank you, i would not risk my my whole system for around 8-10c cooler temp. :p just get the ncase dude.

Regarding maximum power capacity of the riser cable.

I was reading this interesting post that was discussing that the power specs of PCIe riser cables are not the same as those of the PCIe slot specification (12V:5.5A:66W + 3.3V:3.0A:9.9W). On another forum, (I think) the same user stated that the 3M cables can only do 2.0A for the 12V line (i.e. 24W and not 66W).

I did some digging of my own using the spec sheet from the 3M site and it states that the wires used are "30AWG silver plated signal wires". Using the calculator I found here I calculated the following:
  • Select Copper or Aluminum : Copper
  • Select American Wire Gauge (AWG) Size: 30 AWG
  • Select Voltage : 12V (AC)
  • Enter 1-way circuit length in feet: 1ft (300mm)
  • Enter Load in amps: 5.5A
  • Voltage drop: 1.161V
  • Voltage at load end of circuit: 10.839V
  • Per Cent voltage drop: 9.68%
  • Wire cross section in circular mils: 101
  • Resulting power: 59.6W
These calculated values are only approximations, conductance of the 3M wire may be better than the calculator assumes. However, they may impact the stability of your GPU, especially when the GPU has no additional power sources and relies on what the PCIe cable can deliver.

I'm not sure how relevant this all is, curious about your opinions.

[edit]
Looking closer at the spec of 3M I noticed that the three 12V power pins are actually routed through 7 wires (and 7 for the return). This will distribute the load to 0.8A per wire leading to 11.831V at the end of the cable which is only a 1.4% drop.
[/edit]

I just noticed that you have AC listed for the voltage. It is actually a DC circuit. Also, there are a total of 10 wires for the +12 V as shown on the 3m drawing here: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/812298O/3mtm-twin-ax-cable-assy-for-pci-express-x16-cd2520.pdf

1rdk2g.jpg

29dj3o.jpg

39yk0i.jpg

4p4kj4.jpg

5vakki.jpg

6nhj8h.jpg

7h0k5s.jpg

I have the Nexus Low-7000 R2 coming in tomorrow and already have the c7 cryorig. I'm waiting for your tutorial. I have some lowish profile looking ram and I hope it'll fit ( https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820313778 ). Should I get the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12 fan? also what's that custom looking black bracket holding the fan to the nexus?

1rdk2g.jpg

29dj3o.jpg

39yk0i.jpg

4p4kj4.jpg

5vakki.jpg

6nhj8h.jpg

7h0k5s.jpg

I wonder the temperature of the Nexus blow in..

Is 100mm long enough? If not, what's the length people are recommending?

Even if the 24 pin socket is right next to the PSU (the case with the Asus z270i) I think it is too short. With bending and twisting I'd probably want 150mm at least, 200mm to be safe? I'm just eye balling it at this point.

I will pick up my case around noon (Denmark). Apparently one has to guess what local shippingpartner DHL uses in order to continue tracking after they delivered it to the recieving country. Atleast that was the case for me.
The local danish partner is postnord. You can copy+paste the shipment number from DHL directly into the tracking system of postnord and continue tracking.
If your DHL progress gets stuck this might give a clue as to why.

Last edited:

This would seem to help against the turbulence that the Noctua creates when pushed up against the side panel.

I will pick up my case around noon (Denmark). Apparently one has to guess what local shippingpartner DHL uses in order to continue tracking after they delivered it to the recieving country. Atleast that was the case for me.
The local danish partner is postnord. You can copy+paste the shipment number from DHL directly into the tracking system of postnord and continue tracking.
If your DHL progress gets stuck this might give a clue as to why.

For me it was stated that PostNord (Sweden) would take over the shipping on the DHL tracking page, including a link to the tracking page on postnord. So no guessing was needed :)
The delivery to my door failed (duh, I'm at work :)), so hopefully I can pick it up this afternoon at the service point.

So, is it ok if I share some photos from my build?

These are the components that have been installed already - the GPU will hopefully arrive today.

full.jpg

Installation of the CPU, CPU cooler, memory on the motherboard, and then the motherboard in the case:

full.jpg

full.jpg

Enough space between the CPU cooler and the side panel:

full.jpg

full.jpg

Let's add the PSU:

full.jpg

The corsair's power connector is too close to the side of the PSU bracket:

full.jpg

But nothing that can't be solved .... removed the PSU bracket, re-aligned the cable and now it fits perfectly:

full.jpg

full.jpg

Then I thought there was an issue with the power connector for the SSD when installed in the front of the case:

full.jpg

But then I read Dan's manual, and after flipping the SSD there was no issue with the power cable:

full.jpg

So now I'm only waiting for the GPU to arrive, so hopefully an update later today:

full.jpg

Here are some more pictures of a naked half-filled Dan A4-SFX case:

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Back