DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

I don't think it will help in reducing the temps but a 10-12mm thin 80mm or 92mm can fit.

I think 2 fans on the top will definitely help, hot air rises, and having 2 output fans to combat 4 input fans should help regulate temps, I'll try it at least.

I dont think its possible to mount one at the top.
1. a 92mm fan doesnt fit there
2. the riser cable will touch the fan doenst matter how thin he is

Just leaving this here for those anxious about GPU fits.

Stole this from one of the German forums, but appears to be a Powercolor RX480 which is 310mm or 12.2''....pretty big card, I think the longest I've seen fit in the A4? Goes well over the recommended 295mm and even beyond the 303mm maximum Dan himself mentioned.

Attachments

• dsc033118ku3o.jpg
    dsc033118ku3o.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 95
I dont think its possible to mount one at the top.
1. a 92mm fan doesnt fit there
2. the riser cable will touch the fan doenst matter how thin he is
What about one above the psu, and one below where the SSD would go?

U cant mount a fan about the PSU. If u dont use the SSD bracket u could use a fan there, but there arent any ventilation holes

You guys aren't going to get much performance out of those thin fans in the dan case. Just give that pipe dream up. Delliding/better thermal compound is probably your best bet for reducing temps in combination with underclocking/voltage

So here are my results. CPU Temps increased in Games ~ 8°C. GPU about ~5-8°C

The CPU temps didnt really increase in CPU Stress tests, gues the back of the Graphiccard heats the CPU while playing games

So here are my results. CPU Temps increased in Games ~ 8°C. GPU about ~5-8°C

The CPU temps didnt really increase in CPU Stress tests, gues the back of the Graphiccard heats the CPU while playing games
what gpu cooling type are you using?

First impressions on the case,

Well builded ! Looks awesome and its cazy how small it is.
All temperature risen a little bit (testing it at the moment how much) and the noctua with a 25mm isnt as quite as in a normal ATX case. the small gap between the sidepanel and the fan causes a noise
What's difference in temperature between the Noctua NH-L9i with A9x14 and the one with the 25mm fan?

I think a blower style cooling solution is the only option I would consider in this case.. Open air blows hot air in the case and of course it will increase the overall system temperature. I honestly don't see the point of bothering with custom cards..

I don't think there's been a shipping update for a week now. Dan, are you still on track to ship you next 500 cases?

First impressions on the case,

Well builded ! Looks awesome and its cazy how small it is.
All temperature risen a little bit (testing it at the moment how much) and the noctua with a 25mm isnt as quite as in a normal ATX case. the small gap between the sidepanel and the fan causes a noise

How large is the gap between the case and the 25mm fan? I was thinking about making my own custom shroud for the fan so the air intake meets the case directly or stacking something like this up until it meets the case http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6506/fss-23/92mm_Black_Rubber_Fan_Silencer.html?tl=g47c111s199

I think a blower style cooling solution is the only option I would consider in this case.. Open air blows hot air in the case and of course it will increase the overall system temperature. I honestly don't see the point of bothering with custom cards..

The video card is in its own compartment almost entirely isolated from the CPU. With how close the fans of an open air cooler are to ventilation holes, I'd happily place bets that open air coolers perform better and do not have a more noticeable affect on CPUs than blowers at the same noise levels.

what gpu cooling type are you using?

Custom cooler

What's difference in temperature between the Noctua NH-L9i with A9x14 and the one with the 25mm fan?

ATM i am using the Noctua with the 25mm fan (A9 25mm). I will test other coolers and fans in the next week, have to do some shit for the university and need some time to appreciate this awesome case.

The 2nd thing i am going to do is shorten the PSU cables which are WAY to long . So cablemanagement is the next thing. I've tried to lay the sata cable another way, but then my windows stuck in the loading screen... didnt find the problem tho (change sata cable to).
So this cable route didnt work for me , Sata behind the front of the case -> going over the top of the psu -> through a little gap near the psu -> to the mainboard. I dont know why my PC didnt want to boot propper. Thats the reason why my cable managment sucks right know, but thats going to change

My setup

Intel Xeon 1230v3 (changed my 4670k for that)
Asus Maximus VII Impact
Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1600 CL8
Samsung 850 500GB + 840 250GB Sata SSD
Corsair SF 450
Some LEDs

Here are some pictures dan ;) sorry for the quality, i will make some pictures with a propper camera next weekend.

http://imgur.com/a/TeZzJ

Also i need your opinion guys, is it too much with the LEDs ?! The LEDs are adressable so i can do pretty much everything with them. At the moment i am controlling them with my Smarthphone (Smartphone -> Arduino -> LEDs.

is it too much with the LEDs ?

I'm going for something similar - I think it's cool - but I understand if not everyone does.

Would you be able to measure the clearance from the top of your CPU cooler to the inside of the case?

Someone interested in buying a low numbered(34) black case for some extra bucks?

sold

Last edited:
Maybe you need two of them? Have you measured the long-side length of the vent holes vs. a side of the filter?

When you look at the set they offer, for mounting within the case, right-side is square and left side is rectangular. However, in the set for external mounting both sides are rectangular.

This leads me to believe it has something to do with internal clearances, but I'm not certain.

I don't have the case yet - in a previous post of mine I gently asked for the measurements of the vent holes sections.

When you look at the set they offer, for mounting within the case, right-side is square and left side is rectangular. However, in the set for external mounting both sides are rectangular.

This leads me to believe it has something to do with internal clearances, but I'm not certain.

I don't have the case yet - in a previous post of mine I gently asked for the measurements of the vent holes sections.

Perhaps the site has the wrong pic up. Also, if the filters are magnetic what is the difference of the filters between interior and exterior mounting?

I have a black case to sell if anyone is interested. I ordered two cases but my brother no longer needs one.
I'm in the UK but can ship to EU. Shipping was confirmed on Monday but it hasn't been sent yet.

I am testing the NH-L9i now with the stock 14mm fan, its definitly quieter then a 25mm fan so fan. I also achieve the same temperature with less noise.
Without the side panel the 25mm at same temperature is surely quieter, with the sidepanel its a different story.

So the stock fan is quieter in close dan case

I'm a little confused at the GPU width compatibility. The specs say 45mm including backplate and 40mm without. Can you clarify if this means the GPU backplate or the plastic shield that is in the case?

If you were going to use a GPU backplate can you remove the plastic shield giving you more space? Or that what the 45mm is referring to?

I'm a little confused at the GPU width compatibility. The specs say 45mm including backplate and 40mm without. Can you clarify if this means the GPU backplate or the plastic shield that is in the case?

If you were going to use a GPU backplate can you remove the plastic shield giving you more space? Or that what the 45mm is referring to?
there is nothing to be confused about. that seethrough peace of plastic is less than 1 mm thick. doesn't effect available space in any way

I am testing the NH-L9i now with the stock 14mm fan, its definitly quieter then a 25mm fan so fan. I also achieve the same temperature with less noise.
Without the side panel the 25mm at same temperature is surely quieter, with the sidepanel its a different story.

So the stock fan is quieter in close dan case

I may run without the side panel at home and just pop it back one for travel or transport to utilize the cooling capability of the 25mm. Is it possible to take the side panel on and off without tools? I think I remember Linus mentioning this in a video.

I may run without the side panel at home and just pop it back one for travel or transport to utilize the cooling capability of the 25mm. Is it possible to take the side panel on and off without tools? I think I remember Linus mentioning this in a video.
probably the best option, removing the side panel reduces the temps around 8°C with a 25mm fan. So the 25mm fan is bottlenecked by the side panel and it cant achieves it normal volume flow rate

Anyone got a C7 "in the wild" hooked up yet? If I missed it, apologies.

I hope that the C7 does not end up too noisy especially during gaming sessions. It seems that C7 is definitely the cpu cooler to get temps wise.

I hope that the C7 does not end up too noisy especially during gaming sessions. It seems that C7 is definitely the cpu cooler to get temps wise.

I have my C7 CPU fan profile via the bios currently set to 50% until it reaches 70 degrees (at which point it goes up). During gaming sessions I've yet to reach that temperature (this is with an i7-6700k @ 4.2ghz on all cores and HT enabled) and my EVGA ACX graphics card is "louder" at 50% fan speed than the C7. My current case is a piece of crap mini-tower place holder, too. It has less ventilation on the side and front than the A4's side and top and is only equipped with one 92mm exhaust fan that is not PWM.

The C7 can stay virtually inaudible until the motherboard forces the fan to ramp up, and I'd estimate if the case is 1.5+ meters away, 50% fan speed is essentially inaudible while providing more than enough cooling for the 6700k @ 4.2ghz (slightly undervolted). The fan noise was without a doubt my biggest concern, but I'm much, much less concerned after having all the parts going inside my A4 running in an inadequately-ventilated tower case.

I'm wondering if the A4 will have a specific noise profile though due to the earlier comment that the 25mm Noctua fan was noiser when it was butting up against the side panel, when normally the 25mm should be quieter than the 14mm fan. The c7 has 1 more mm of "breathing room" so to speak so I wonder if that makes a difference.

I'm wondering if the A4 will have a specific noise profile though due to the earlier comment that the 25mm Noctua fan was noiser when it was butting up against the side panel, when normally the 25mm should be quieter than the 14mm fan. The c7 has 1 more mm of "breathing room" so to speak so I wonder if that makes a difference.

You might be correct. With the fan so close to the side panel, it may have created more wind turbulence.

Back