DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Well because of compatible issues ? the past has shown, that newer GPUs often dont run on older Mainboards...

I think with this kind of project if for instance msi or asus made sth like this, they would make drivers for it for couple of years

Why should they? they wanna sell their products, they dont want them to have a long product life

Same as fckn nvidia, AMD are better lasting cards in general (coming from gtx 1060 user, before that i got HD 7950). But if it got support for vega (with predecessor to r9 nano) for instance when it comes out this kind of setup would last for 4-5 years.

Hey guys!

Excited for my case that is hopefully shipping soon!

What's the latest on best cooler? Is it still the LP53? I'm probably going to have a 4790k in it and was wondering what temps would look with some overclocking~

Hey so just wanted to ask for advice before going ahead and making the big purchases for this build. It's been a while since I completed my last build and this is quite a niche case that I don't want to mess up!

CPU:
i7 7700k (not going to overclock but would like the option if i move to a different case in future)
CPU Cooler: See Note below****
Motherboard:
Asus Strix z270i
GPU: Gtx 1080 Founders Edition (Blower style cooler)
RAM: 32gb Corsair Low profile DDR4 (3000mhz)
PSU: Corsair 450W sfx
SSD: M.2 Intel 600p (512GB)
Monitor: 27" 4k LG27UD88

****Has there been a clear winner regarding CPU coolers for this case? I was looking at the LP53 but cant seem to find it in the UK at a reputable place.

The build is for 3d modeling and CAD. The case seems perfect from a size perspective - need to be able to carry it about a lot. Any and all opinions are welcome!! Main concern is that everything works well with the case and performance isn't hindered.

Dont get a GTX 1080 blower style... wtf

Wont go for a Intel 600p either, its not that much faster then a normal sata ssd and u could reuse a sata ssd in another pc/laptop

If u go m.2 then do it right.

Why? It's been my impression since the start of this thread that the case is designed around using a blower-style GPU cooler so as to minimize internal case temperature as much as is possible.

Reactions: Jspr
like this
A slower M.2 is still nice insofar as it's less cables. Makes the Strix very nice as you can potentially eliminate the need for any SSD's whatsoever with two m.2 slots.

Why? It's been my impression since the start of this thread that the case is designed around using a blower-style GPU cooler so as to minimize internal case temperature as much as is possible.

I also afraid that the hot air will be dumped in the Case with a non reference design and increase temp on Cpu and more hot air in the Case with aftermarket Gpu.

I know that Linus tech recommended reference card in his test.

Im waiting to see how this really is, because you dont get in any big cpu coolers on max 48 mm that can cool perfect and overclocking CPU i have not even tryed to do with this restrictions.

I also afraid that the hot air will be dumped in the Case with a non reference design and increase temp on Cpu and more hot air in the Case with aftermarket Gpu.

I know that Linus tech recommended reference card in his test.

Im waiting to see how this really is, because you dont get in any big cpu coolers on max 48 mm that can cool perfect and overclocking CPU i have not even tryed to do with this restrictions.

Dondan and Linus tech assistant both tested both blower amd non blower gpus. They run just fine.

Is anyone planning on running an amd build? I will have a never used nh-l9a without the nf a6x14 fan. All accessories and untouched thermal paste included.

It's been my impression since the start of this thread that the case is designed around using a blower-style GPU cooler so as to minimize internal case temperature as much as is possible.

Dan tested the non-blower GPU coolers and found they work well in A4-SFX. We think this is because the fans have no space between them and the case vents, which prevents the fans from sucking air from inside the case. Because they only suck cool air from outside the case, the GPU stays cool. The excess hot air is blown out the top of the case and doesn't affect the CPU cooler much because the CPU is in a totally different location.

The best CPU cooler will use the same principal, with the fan chassis butting up against the case vent surface. We don't know what that CPU cooler is yet though, because people need to get their cases and mix and match heatsinks and build baffles until they find the perfect combination and report back here.

A slower M.2 is still nice insofar as it's less cables. Makes the Strix very nice as you can potentially eliminate the need for any SSD's whatsoever with two m.2 slots.

Can you not eliminate the need for a traditional SSD or HDD with using a single M.2 drive?

Wont go for a Intel 600p either, its not that much faster then a normal sata ssd and u could reuse a sata ssd in another pc/laptop

If u go m.2 then do it right.

GTX 1080 (MSI, Evga etc, not ref) + M.2 Samsung 960 Evo 500Gb + Noctua L9i

What exactly is doing it right? is the M.2 960Evo 512gb worth it at 50% more expensive than the intel 600p?

What exactly is doing it right? is the M.2 960Evo 512gb worth it at 50% more expensive than the intel 600p?

50% more expensive and you don't see 50% added realworld performamce gains. The drive is impressive but it is too expensive for what you actually get. I bought my 1TB ssd because I got it for a steal. Other wise I would've grabbed a slower drive. The intel 600p drives don't perform at their rated speeds consistently so they aren't as good as they seem. It is still a fast drive though.

Hey so just wanted to ask for advice before going ahead and making the big purchases for this build. It's been a while since I completed my last build and this is quite a niche case that I don't want to mess up!

Monitor: 27" 4k LG27UD88

The build is for 3d modeling and CAD. The case seems perfect from a size perspective - need to be able to carry it about a lot. Any and all opinions are welcome!! Main concern is that everything works well with the case and performance isn't hindered.

For CAD/gfx work I like the Benq 32" BL3201PH a lot (have had two at work and one at home for the last ~2 years). 32" is the sweet spot for UHD imo - but maybe I'm just getting old and prefer a larger screen that I don't have to sit so close to :)

here is A4-SFX being made :)

such a coincidence to actually find this :))))

EDIT: OMFG there are so many points in the video where you can actually see A4 ....

At 5:05 you can see an Ncase M1 as well... thats quite coincidental.

50% more expensive and you don't see 50% added realworld performamce gains. The drive is impressive but it is too expensive for what you actually get. I bought my 1TB ssd because I got it for a steal. Other wise I would've grabbed a slower drive. The intel 600p drives don't perform at their rated speeds consistently so they aren't as good as they seem. It is still a fast drive though.
The WD blue m.2 comes pretty well out of the tests price/performance wise, I'd consider that one too. The blue 1Tb is in the 12th place in Allyn's big ass list in this review (note, there are more of these big ass lists in the same review, in some the blue is much lower in the list):

qd-rnd.png

Last edited:
No this is not the sidepanel of the A4. It is the LL PC-Q33A panel.

I checked the complete video and there are no A4 parts in it. But you see the M1 U-Frame.

GPU:
Gtx 1080 Founders Edition (Blower style cooler)
SSD: M.2 Intel 600p (512GB)

Your components seem to be quite like what I have, are going for.

I am not sure about the Blower Style GPU and I don't seem to be alone in this thread. I have a Strix 1080 already.
I you don't have it yet I would wait for comments from users in this thread when system are built.
This was something which mainly seem to have been started by Linus and I don't really trust those guys when it comes to technical stuff...

I you are going with an Intel 600p you should read a few reviews, every review points in the same direction. It has severe drawbacks (Abysmal writing speed when cache is filled for example). I looked at it and in the end I came to the conclusion that a 960 Evo were a little bit more expensive but better in every way.

I am not sure about the Blower Style GPU and I don't seem to be alone in this thread. I have a Strix 1080 already.
I you don't have it yet I would wait for comments from users in this thread when system are built.
This was something which mainly seem to have been started by Linus and I don't really trust those guys when it comes to technical stuff...

uhm dude, there are several videos already which compares blower and non-blower GPUs in different kind of cases (atx, itx,etc ). mostly for mini itx cases, blower style coolers are preferred because it vents the hot air out of the small restricted airflow case,
unlike the non-blower which only spread the heat inside the case. Though the non blower gets better GPU temps, but makes the other components warmer. i think dan already have tested it and posted it in the thread.

The dan A4 layout is not the same as the other cases. Blower gpu in this configuration might not be better than non blower.
We will have hundred of A4 delivered by next week.
We should have a clear answer really fast regarding this topic.
If you don t own à gpu I would defenetly recommand to old on.

My bet is that non blower gpu will have a very small impact on the cpu temps meanwhile having à strong one on the gpu temps and noise.

Reactions: Jspr
like this
Hey guys, first post here! been following this thread as I'm waiting for the case to be available on caseking to have a chance to get one... my F5 key is ready for Feb 1st lol

As far as cooling is concerned, the C7 seems to have the best cooling capacity but I'm worried about noise, does anyone know if a noctua NF-A9x14 fan could be mounted on a C7 even with some modding? It doesn't seem hard as the original fan is already held to grooves on the side of the heatsink by some clips, and I'm guessing another fan could be installed with some custom-built clips like the ones noctua uses on their own heatsinks.

What do you guys think about this C7+A9x14 combo?

kse617
I think it could perform best. A guy on Computerbase.de is going to test this combination. the results will be published in this spreadsheet together with many other hardware combination of other people:

Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aZfTysWc4dtJC33qkLCjLkhPnzVLtbCtjpxoZeT92ZA/edit#gid=0

uhm dude, there are several videos already which compares blower and non-blower GPUs in different kind of cases (atx, itx,etc ). mostly for mini itx cases, blower style coolers are preferred because it vents the hot air out of the small restricted airflow case,
unlike the non-blower which only spread the heat inside the case. Though the non blower gets better GPU temps, but makes the other components warmer. i think dan already have tested it and posted it in the thread.

The CPU and motherboard are isolated to their own compartment from the video card. The cooling configuration of the video card will have minimal (if any) impact on the CPU and vice versa. Given the nonexistent empty space inside the case, and also how close component fans will be to the vent holes, open air coolers are going to perform better in this case than blowers.

The CPU and motherboard are isolated to their own compartment from the video card. The cooling configuration of the video card will have minimal (if any) impact on the CPU and vice versa. Given the nonexistent empty space inside the case, and also how close component fans will be to the vent holes, open air coolers are going to perform better in this case than blowers.

Ofc you will get the most hot Air in the top, Gpu Chambers. But its not air tight to CPU Chamber so hot air will come here to.

The question is how much and the impact in temps.

Have you tested all Gpu in this case to state your statement.

And i wont diagrams and full test on atleast 6 Gpu.

Maybe to early to know, but would using a mini 1070/1080 card (which creates more empty space) negatively affect temps?

*SPAM APOLOGY*

I've decided not to build my DAN-A4 (black) so will be selling it. I'm UK based and it's due to be shipped any day now. UK buyer preferred, may ship to EU. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
*SPAM APOLOGY*

I've decided not to build my DAN-A4 (black) so will be selling it. I'm UK based and it's due to be shipped any day now. UK buyer preferred, may ship to EU. PM me if interested.

If you're willing to ship to the US (or if anyone else is) let me know.

Back