DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Aw man...US is so far down in the list :-(

Now I know what it feels like when EU countries get products later than us.
The US is the first country outside the EU, so it kinda works out I guess. I'm expecting it to ship around the middle of week 2 or so.

Heres the list

· Germany

· United Kingdom

· Sweden

· Austria

· France

· Denmark

· Finland

· Netherlands

· Spain

· Italy

· Belgium

· Ireland

· Poland

· Portugal

· Bulgaria

· Czech Republic

· Estonia

· Romania

· Hungary

· Lithuania

· Luxembourg

· United States

· Australia

· Japan

· Switzerland

· Canada

· Singapore

· Norway

· New Zealand

· South Korea

· Hong Kong

· China

· Russian Federation

· South

· Africa

· Taiwan

· Brazil

· Malaysia

· Philippines

· Thailand

· Indonesia

· Qatar

· Mauritius

· Ukraine

Hi everyone.

Maybe Dan or someone else can answer this.

Would the new Lian Li USB-C 3.1 front-panel connector (PW-IC01NH45) be a suitable replacement for the one on the Dan A4 Case?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Changed a setting in my phone to retrieve mail and now I don't get notified immediately. Did not know there was a Kickstarter update.

I'm backer 445 but second to last in the list behind Ukraine. Not fair :cautious:.
I'll go to the beach and wait:p

Edit: 43!!! Countries participated in the campaign. Fair to say it has been an international success.
This deserve another round of congratulations.

Hi everyone.

Would the new Lian Li USB-C 3.1 front-panel connector (PW-IC01NH45) be a suitable replacement for the one on the Dan A4 Case?
Thanks.
that's a standard panel mount so you should be able to use it or mod it in.

very cool, what was your total BOM for the project?
I did it about 2 years ago so I'm probably going to get it a bit wrong, but only leaving out things I ruined and has to rebuy;
60$ - panel
35$ - adapter board
30$ - stand
10$ - shell
10$ - bezel
5$ - cables
0$ glass (they didn't charge me for some reason)

Hi everyone.

Thanks.

I test it with a CAD drawing of the cable and no it will not work. I am currently working with Lian Li on a upgrade kit for the A4 that will be released this year so everyone can upgrade to USB 3.1 gen2 ;). Currently there is no real time preassure because only one Z270 ITX board will have the new connector.

Yeah...
Switzerland is after Australia and Japan!
It is a neighboring country as well ...

Exactly what I thought as well!
I could literally take my bike and get my case back home in about one week.
Kind of funny how this things work isn't it? (stupid border stuff, always delaying things)

I test it with a CAD drawing of the cable and no it will not work. I am currently working with Lian Li on a upgrade kit for the A4 that will be released this year so everyone can upgrade to USB 3.1 gen2 ;). Currently there is no real time preassure because only one Z270 ITX board will have the new connector.
Thanks for answering and confirming.
This would/will help me choose the motherboard I buy for my build.
If it is not too much to ask, will the upgrade kit will be Type-A or Type-C?

Thanks.

Have you seen these 2 new shielded risers from lian li??

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pw-pci-e30-1/
http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pw-pci-e38-1/

pci38-1-03.jpg

Versus the older version:
http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pw-pci-e/
http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pw-pci-e38/

I'm super happy to hear you're doing this!!! :D

00joshua00 I tested it 8 month ago. The cables are too thick to fit behind the motherboard. In this time I also posted a picture here.

Reactions: Jspr
like this
The case acts as a faraday cage. There is no point in shielding internally, unless you got some crappy hardware.

There are a bunch of possibilities for interference originating from inside the case. Running the cable along the back of the of the Motherboard (like it is) could see interference from the power distribution circuits. Not to mention the interference from the cable itself. Which is why (I'm assuming) the lanes are shielded separately.

How convenient I was planning on using the Asus Z270I board!

Seeing as germany is first on the list, would this mean that caseking gets their shipment soon? Or will this be a seperate shipment after all the backers get their cases?

Nothing beats the reliability of the 3M riser, and I'm grateful that it is the riser included in the A4. However it is quite expensive, so if you could lower the case price tag for future batches by using an alternative riser that works just as great as the 3M, the target group of this case can be increased.

For those of you going with the Kaby Lake (and Dan A4 Case) which RAM do you plan on going with? I'm looking at the DDR 4266 compared to DDR4 3600. Would I see any major performance gains?

3600 Example: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232491
4266 Example: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232497

I am waiting on a 4266 2x16GB kit. Not available yet. 3200 2x16GB will suffice for now. Quite the boost for DDR4 this time around.

There was a decent deal with the Jet discount on 16GB of Team Vulcan 3000mhz RAM (70$). Went with those, personally.

I looked at those and other benchmarks and it seems like diminishing returns kick in around 3200mhz or so with the majority of games.

Delidding improves the thermal flow from the CPU to the heatsink, nothing else. It only conveys significant temperature improvements if the cooler can handle the heat. Likely the C7 or L9i capabilities will be the bottleneck here. That said, temperature will drop by a few degrees anyways because the cooler can diffuse the heat more effectively if its temperature (difference to ambient) is higher.

I agree, there will be only a few degrees difference with these coolers (tested it myself). But I also think that peaks in temperature will be handled better. So if done right, delidding and updrading the TIM is always good (except when the heatspreader is soldered, find out first before destroying your cpu).

I mean otherwise they'd be using shielded onboard slots and warning about tucking your cables away underneath the board. Also the inflicted interference should be about the same on the negative signal wire as onto the positive on the riser - digital signals are very resistant to noise.
Onboard PCIe slots DO use shielded paths, the traces running inside the motherboard layers are shielded by being surrounded by ground planes (stripline). This is done both to shield the PCIe lines from all the EMF producing parts on the motherboard (power phases, other buses line USB3, etc) and to shield PCIe lanes from each other. This second interference mode is called 'crosstalk'. When you add a riser, this also needs to be shielded against EMF and crosstalk.

Damn, would still recommend getting those 90 degree connectors though.

Crosstalk between risers is irrellevant in an ITX setup I'd say ;)

Is this a joke?

If not: A riser have many wires next to each other, crosstalk means that a signal on one wire will interfere with the signal to the wires next to it. For this reason every cable line on the 3M riser is surrounded by a shield and this shield is grounded.

I would want to see another mini-itx Dan case in the future with just the space for the mobo, a bit more space for cpu cooler, GPUs up to just 8.3 inches like the new Zotac GTX1080 mini and psus up to SFX-L (vent could go facing front maybe?). Nothing else, no ssds (just m.2 on mobo from now on).

Back