DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

The current batch is for Kickstarter and new orders. Take a look into the FAQ on my side. It will be available again early 2017 (January) ;)

I view your site/FAQs almost daily.
It still says "End 2016 on Caseking.de and Overclockers.co.uk".

Pv

The container is on the way :)

img_0129ghs7v.jpg
Could we get the container ship number so we can track it? I love tracking those things

So i retested the C7 and Noctua NH-l9i yesteday within ~40mins. Both have the same cooling perfomance. Sometimes the Cryorig is 1-2 degrees better, somethimes the Cryorig C7. The max temperature at the Stress test varied.
So same cooling perfomance at the same rpm, but the noctua is quieter.

Also i delid my 4670k today :) Gonna test the temperature this evening. I will apply liquid metal between ihs and die. Caps will be isolated with Artic MX 4

ghAsM2E.jpg

Edit:
Temps are 10 Celsius lower ;)

Last edited:
So i know for sure, that the Noctua NH-L9i is better in any way (noise, temperature) then the C7 in my test conditions (25°C ambient temperature, all case fans off and sidepanel opened)
I think in the A4 with the side panel on, the results could change due to cooler height. The closer to the side panel, better the cooling performance will be, so this may offset the C7 disadvantage.

So i retested the C7 and Noctua NH-l9i yesteday within ~40mins. Both have the same cooling perfomance. Sometimes the Cryorig is 1-2 degrees better, somethimes the Cryorig C7. The max temperature at the Stress test varied.
So same cooling perfomance at the same rpm, but the noctua is quieter.

Also i delid my 4670k today :) Gonna test the temperature this evening. I will apply liquid metal between ihs and die. Caps will be isolated with Artic MX 4

Edit:
Temps are 10 Celsius lower ;)

I'm sharing this with you so you can research and make your own mind up here: I delidded my now-sold 4770k CPU with success, but at the time I had a case that oriented the motherboard in a horizontal fashion which was the best ideal situation for liquid metal. I never had any problems with it. However, I've read various reports that over time, in vertically mounted motherboards with liquid metal (liquid pro or liquid ultra), it will physically drip down the die and cause your CPU to actually run hotter than before the delid.

Thanks for that info, i will detach the IHS in january when the case comes. If its the case, thats its really behave like a liquid then i will replace it with some good thermal paste

I view your site/FAQs almost daily.
It still says "End 2016 on Caseking.de and Overclockers.co.uk".

Probably the interesting thing to know is the day and exact time when the cases will be available for pre-order on caseking and overclockers. They will not ship until all kickstarters have their cases shipped first. But I assume that will be communicated clearly when the time arrives. Hopefully in December.

You could always put a 25mm fan on L9i...
I would think that should be the best performing solution, but the tests by Dan in the first page show the 25 mm performing worse than the 14 mm fan on load.... so i guess i have no idea what Im talking about.

Would it be possible to fit two 7mm SSD's in the lower drive bays? The manual lists 15mm so there would be 1mm to spare depending on drive and bay tolerances. Not sure if it would be a good idea to sandwich SDD's like that but still curious if they would fit. Thanks.

It might be a new record for SFX PSU wattage, but that PSU is nothing but complete overkill and a waste of money for this kind of setup. People will be able to push 300 watts of GPU power and a ever-so-slightly OC'd 6700k in this box, nothing more. That kind of setup will consume less than 500 watts under max load.

What is interesting for the SFX is that with such power density in such a small size it could make for a great PSU for the next Storage Pod from BackBlaze...

Two of those PSUs would save so much space - combined with a switch to 4TB 2.5" HDDs and we could have some really, really dense storage capabilities. I can eye a potential extra row of HDDs using 2.5" HDDS. Maybe 2 + 1 redundancy for the PSU as well? At the very least it'd reduce the 4" hanging off the back...

As for the Dan case maybe if AMD releases a dual slot dual GPU Vega card that needs two 8 pin pcie? On top of a OC'd CPU that might do the trick...

Last edited:
It might be a new record for SFX PSU wattage, but that PSU is nothing but complete overkill and a waste of money for this kind of setup. People will be able to push 300 watts of GPU power and a ever-so-slightly OC'd 6700k in this box, nothing more. That kind of setup will consume less than 500 watts under max load.
sx800-lti-06.jpg

But, as this graph suggests, you could almost run it in fanless mode with that 300 watts. Even at 500 watts, you'd only be spinning at around 1200 rpm

That graph is likely only valid for a certain ambient temperature. If the air surrounding the psu is rather hot, it won't stay fanless for long, and the rpm curve will be shifted to something much more noisy. Compare this to the Corsair unit where the graphs were shown for 25C ambient. If the psu fan intake is directly facing fresh air like in the A4, it will help to cool the psu, but can be counteracted by possible hot air "behind" the psu as in in the A4 case.

Copper has a higher specific heat, so a block of copper would cool better than a block of aluminum, but aluminum has a better coefficient of thermal conductivity so it tends to radiate heat faster through fins.

This is why you generally see radiators and fins made out of aluminum, even high end heat sinks for computers tend to have copper heat pipes with aluminum fins.

But you just debunked that yourself with the copy+paste of:
"Air with forced convection
In other words, there's a fan blowing onto the heatsink. Copper heatsink will perform better than aluminium."

My guess as to why aluminium is more common is that it is cheaper, more robust and significantly lighter (which makes is cheaper to transport) while being only marginaly worse than copper.

My guess as to why aluminium is more common is that it is cheaper, more robust and significantly lighter (which makes is cheaper to transport) while being only marginaly worse than copper.

Partly true, it is materially cheaper, but also easier/faster to machine, making the process cheaper.
For these low perf. applications, the cooling performance deficit is marginal.

But you just debunked that yourself with the copy+paste of:
"Air with forced convection
In other words, there's a fan blowing onto the heatsink. Copper heatsink will perform better than aluminium."

Probably. Why is it that the vast majority of heatsinks available for sale are not fully copper? You nor I have tested a fully copper vs a copper base with aluminum fin of the same heatsink. Just like most of us where we need physical evidence that something exists or is better all we have is data where some people say one is better because that is what the book says. Copper is an excellent conductor but becaise of it's properties it doesn't dissipate it or release the heat as well as aluminum. I'm just trying to say that this has been a question that I asked back ib 2009 and they came up with the same answer. Copper is great but retains heat so it isn't as great as aluminum fins. Only in the fact that the percentage of heat dissipation per surface area on the fins is greater in aluminum than copper. So the price difference isn't really justified.

Anyways, this is a silly topic outside this case forum. I can't wait to get mine.

My Noctua NH-L9i vs Cryorig C7 Test is finished.

If u want the quietest setup, then take the Noctua. There u have the option to change the fan to get the cooler even quieter. That option you wont have with the Cryorig C7. Its better builded and Noctua offers a great support. The main reasons to buy are the accessoires, better build quality, right away 6 years warranty, u actually have an option to change the fan, its quieter.
For the people who still think the C7 will quieter better.

In the topview u can cleary see, that the cryorig c7 has an higher flow resistance and problably thats the reason why he cant take adventage of the 2 extra heatpipes.
Also the NH-L9i has a triangle botton plate which might help the airflow.

All pictures can be found here
http://imgur.com/a/oL1SC

Cryorig C7
Vqm0bVN.jpg

Noctua NH-L9i

NA2TRcE.jpg

Last edited:
Today, I ordered the new Thermalright AXP 100H with the new 2011-3 Narrow ILM mount kit. I try to mount the fan under the heatsink. I hope the heatsink will fit with a height of 51mm. If not it will with the new window kit i will get next week. :)

Today, I ordered the new Thermalright AXP 100H with the new 2011-3 Narrow ILM mount kit. I try to mount the fan under the heatsink. I hope the heatsink will fit with a height of 51mm. If not it will with the new window kit i will get next week. :)

Is it the one in the picture below? Then I'm wondering how you're supposed to add a fan under the heatsink. Cut off the support thingies that are under the heatsink, right?

*edit*
I saw someone in the Sentry thread mention that Cryorig are currently developing a universal fan mounting kit for the C7. That could be really interesting. If they haven't started selling that by february (probably not) I think I'll go for the NH-L9 with a 25mm fan though, since I want a build that is as quiet as possible.

03.jpg

Dont think its possible, to get as quiet as with an 25mm fan

I guess this is a response to what I wrote about the mounting kit;
Probably not, but it's always nice to be able to switch the C7 fan for something quieter, even if it's still a 15mm fan. Personally I'm allergic to coolers where they use their own type of mounting so that you can't switch the fans easily.

Because of this I might consider the Cryorig C7 after all, but I'm leaning towards the NH-L9 with a 25mm fan.

Actually u could 3D print a mounting for a 15mm fan. There are many people who offer 3D Prints in 3Dhubs.
I could make a CAD model if people are interessetd in something like that. I think it should be also possible to print a 120mm mounting.

Edit:

Something like that, would cost me something around 8€ to print at a guy from 3dhubs

nx8Z9rh.png

Attachments

• Test mounting stl.rar
    7.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Instead of devoting time to a new mount for the C7, it may be more beneficial to drill vent holes along the bottom of the case and mount upward facing slim case fans to breath fresh air onto the entire motherboard, video card, and m.2 SSD.

Looks beautiful! Dan, do you plan on selling these, or are these produced just for curiosity?

Here is a small preview how the A4-SFX Window Kit will looks like. I attached the acryl version. Later you will see also pictures of the tempered glass version.

20161207_1205209cs8j.jpg

20161207_120708i9s82.jpg
Not a fan of the octagonal shape. I'd prefer a traditional rectangle shape with the side panels' "pull tabs" modified to fit.

Not a fan of the octagonal shape. I'd prefer a traditional rectangle shape with the side panels' "pull tabs" modified to fit.

kind of the same on my side.
I am a fan of the temptered glass but not of this shape.
a rectangle with round angle that imitate the one of the case woud look better I think.

Back