DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

How much clearance is it to the side panel when using a Noctua L9i + 25mm thick fan? Specifications says 48mm, which that combo would equal to, but is there a few spare millimeters left?

There should be 2mm left (50mm is the max height , dondan said 48mm is max to have 2mm spare)

...Therefore I am currently developing my own shipment application. Yes I do it by my own, because I can customize it to my requirements.

This software will do the shipment process in five steps automatically.

1.) Assign case serial numbers to the order in database
2.) Sending shipment request to DHL Webservice, automatically printing label form DHL shipment response
3.) If necessary print customs paper
4.) Automatically create bill and print it
5.) Automatically sending info mail to backer that include tracking number

Can we just take a moment to appreciate this "little" detail. You are one resourceful man Dondan!

thanks for the update.
As said, it will come just after the CES, so may be that for the best.

It's sold. Please stop messaging me, as the case is no longer available, thanks!

Edit: Apparently US to Europe transfers are allowed according to some PM's I've received.

Last edited:
Hey, I've been following this Thread quietly for a while. I created an account purely for one important question. dondan With Brexit and recent drop in the value of the British Pound, has the RRP in the UK been set? Have Overclockers UK confirmed a selling price? I ask as someone who has waited on this case for a longtime (Sorry, I'm not a kickstarter kind of guy) and have every intention of purchasing one when available. But since the £ dropped, OCUK have raised many of their prices, sometimes substantially. GTX 1080s start at £600 despite an RRP of £500 and go far beyond £700.

Thanks for the update dondan. Dec-jan is kind of a lull period anyway for new hardware releases so waiting a little longer to start the build is kind of a good thing anyway. Lets see those prototype glass side panels when you get them!!

Probably for the best, by Q1 2017 we should have kaby lake, 1080ti, Vega...maybe some new monitors too.

You forgot to mention AMD Zen! ;)

Even though I would like the case as soon as possible , I wouldn't use it just yet, except for having something to have wet dreams about.

I will probably start my build in february. As I'm not gaming all that much at the moment I'm prioritizing a quiet build. A four core Zen, Cryorig C7, a mid-end GPU, Cryorig C7 and SF450 will be my choice. The only question is what SSD I would choose. :)

Do we know if Cryorig C7 will fit on the AM4 socket?

I also want to know whether we can still discuss transferring cases in this forum. I want to buy Dan case, but I don't think I can wait till public release. (I'm international, and message me if you want to transfer your case.)

I already bought my Asrock X99E-itx, Intel Xeon E5 V3, Samsung 128GB RAM, Noctua+Dynatron coolers, SF600, and 980TI for Dan case.

(FYI, 64GB DDR4 ECC RAM perfectly works for Asrock X99E-itx board. So you can set up 128GB RAM in ITX configuration!)

Last edited:
Thanks, no problem. I hope we will see some benchmarck soon.

Last edited:
Not that I'm entirely convinced about the design of that cooler, it looks kinda dangerous. Performance figures would still be interesting.

Electronica 2016:

If somebody from Germany or Austria like to see the A4-SFX in real life, you have the chance from the 8th to 11th November 2016 on the Electronica fair in Munich. The case will be expose on the stand of the 3M (Hall B2, stand 107)
I will be there on thursday.

Can we just take a moment to appreciate this "little" detail. You are one resourceful man Dondan!

I would argue that this is the only sensible way to handle this stuff. Remember, dan has to ship over 1000 cases, it would take him weeks to send every single one out individually. Making a simple piece of software will save him a lot of time.

Electronica 2016:

If somebody from Germany or Austria like to see the A4-SFX in real life, you have the chance from the 8th to 11th November 2016 on the Electronica fair in Munich. The case will be expose on the stand of the 3M (Hall B2, stand 107)
I will be there on thursday.

Congratulations on getting featured on 3Ms booth! I don't think I'll be able to make it, but if I do, I'll be sure to meet you there!

i'm building something really similar to what you did here and need some help if you don't mind. so i'm having some trouble figuring out the smallest dimension i can have in order to have a H5 SF coller installed. it says the total cooler height is 84mm.

i'm building something really similar to what you did here and need some help if you don't mind. so i'm having some trouble figuring out the smallest dimension i can have in order to have a H5 SF coller installed. it says the total cooler height is 84mm.
Too big :\ Max. height 48mm

Hi dondan,
I hope that you will share some picture of the 3M event ;)

If anyone find some Engine 27 benchmark please share them.

I think for a I5 6600 the Engine 27 should handle it with no problem( and I hope no noise...)

yah i know, but i'm building my own case to put the cooler in. not putting it in the dan a4. so i want to know what messurments he used in his case.
Sorry your first question was very confusing, for dimensions please see the very first page of the thread.

Hey everyone!

I was at electronica today and took a short look at the A4-SFX. Here's a few pics. (It seems like [H] can't embed imgur albums anymore) Unfortunately I was at 3Ms booth at 16:30 or so, and dan was already gone. Would've loved to talk to him!

Just a very, very short first impression: Quality of the case is top-notch, as you would expect from Lian-Li. Everything is looking smooth and well-rounded, the case is light but very sturdy. Great job on the construction. It seems like everyone who bought the case will absolutely get their money's worth. I just had one single bug-bear, and that was the front button. I'm not a fan of the way it feels when it's actuating, it pushes in too deeply in my opinion and there's no clear point of actuation. But that's it. That's the worst thing I could find about this case.

Hi iFreilicht,

thank you for your feedback and the pictures. Too bad we mist us. I was there between 10:00 - 15:00.

Greets

Daniel

Thanks for the picture.
2 months to go before receiving it.
I hope that we will see some great new monitor to go with this case, and may be a 1080 TI ;)

Hey everyone!

I was at electronica today and took a short look at the A4-SFX. Here's a few pics. (It seems like [H] can't embed imgur albums anymore) Unfortunately I was at 3Ms booth at 16:30 or so, and dan was already gone. Would've loved to talk to him!

Just a very, very short first impression: Quality of the case is top-notch, as you would expect from Lian-Li. Everything is looking smooth and well-rounded, the case is light but very sturdy. Great job on the construction. It seems like everyone who bought the case will absolutely get their money's worth. I just had one single bug-bear, and that was the front button. I'm not a fan of the way it feels when it's actuating, it pushes in too deeply in my opinion and there's no clear point of actuation. But that's it. That's the worst thing I could find about this case.
I envy you so much for having seen and felt it .. :-(

Hey everyone!

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing. Can't wait to get my hands on this sucker.

Hey everyone!

Being a keyboard enthusiast, this makes me a little sad. I was hoping for a satisfying, tactile thunk. Still! Very Nice Dan!! Can't wait!

Hi iFreilicht,

thank you for your feedback and the pictures. Too bad we mist us. I was there between 10:00 - 15:00.

Greets

Daniel

Yeah that was a bit of a bummer. Maybe I'll be able to pay a second visit to the faire today. I found out FSP has a booth, so I kind of have to go :D

Being a keyboard enthusiast, this makes me a little sad. I was hoping for a satisfying, tactile thunk. Still! Very Nice Dan!! Can't wait!

It's funny how that hobby changes your perception on switches :D That's probably why I disliked it as well.

I think it not such bad as told, but the reason for the wobbling switch like Linus it mentioned is the removeable front. The power button is not directly connected to the switch. Otherwise if you remove the front you have to disconnect the PW-SW cable.

For the A4, the button is mount at the front and the switch is connected to the body. The button have a spring to make sure it comes back. There is a tiny gab between button and switch. The gab is necessary to compensate manufacturing deviation.

Project completed. I even set it to blow a little on my OCZ RD400 M.2 1TB SSD. Hopefully nothing overheats too much. I have my 5820k undervolted so that should help.

Reactions: Jspr
like this
Who speaks japanese :D? I think He forgott to remove the Bluetooth protection Sticker :D

http://blog.livedoor.jp/wisteriear/archives/1062342852.html
HAHA! You are talking about this photo right?

8d9a98d9.jpg

Roughly translated after his high temperatures:

"I was surprised at too much CPU temperature and I was doubly surprised when trying to remove the CPU cooler. I left the protective film on the base. A mistake not to be an amateur do amateur. Screws floating from the screw holes were difficult to stop, they were taken too much and ordinarily forgotten the protective film. "

O.O, I leave for 2 months and I find out that glass side panels are gonna be a possibly? Time to be broke :D. But in any case, I was wondering Dan, could you provide a rough estimate of when you think the case with included glass panels (as an accessory or replacement? asking out of curiosity) would be available for purchase? I'm hoping it's before summer of next year as I'll be helping my best friend build his own rig and would be using parts from my rig to help him out. Thanks and also, I can't tell you how much I admire your work and how you inspire me; I'm currently an electrical engineering student and I want to make my own products that really push the bounds and are classified as "bleeding edge" and the fact that your whole venture and journey from concept to full-fledged product has only helped to encourage me to continue on wanting to reach that dream. Love the work and keep it up Dan

P.S. Sorry for the really disorganized post, coming back to the forum to find out glass panels are in the works has made me super hyped up added to the fact that it's 5:30AM for me = brain is derping.

Hi everybody,

First congratulations to Dan for the case. It is beautiful and seems perfect.

Unfortunately, I missed the kickstarter campaign, too slow.

If somebody doesn't want his black case anymore, I am interested to buy it.

Hi everybody,

First congratulations to Dan for the case. It is beautiful and seems perfect.

Unfortunately, I missed the kickstarter campaign, too slow.

If somebody doesn't want his black case anymore, I am interested to buy it.

I just got rid of mine a few days ago and already regret it, lol.

Back