DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Or, you could simply use the version of the Intel 750 Series 2.5" SSD that has the cable with a M.2 connector on it, rather than the original that has the U.2 connector…

Intel 750 Series 2.5" U.2 (M.2 adaptor) 400GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPE2MW400G4M2 - Newegg.com

20-167-395-05.jpg

Would that fit under the mainboard?

The tempered glass version adds considerably to the volume of the whole unit; I prefer the acrylic.

Hi everybody,

I've just signed up and also my english is terrible :) I couldn't read all of your messages and i just wonder if the case has any other front panel version. I mean... if there is some airflow from that side, it would be better to cooling of mainboard components and to push the air to out of case. Honestly, i'm scared of the distance between components and side panels :))

My second question;

Is the graphics card riser enough for high-end cards? I would be very happy if i can know specifications of riser ^^ Actually i don't trust any kind of extenders :) I think the best one has 8 GB/s width. It means cards will work at 8x or something(?) Please let me know if there is a important thing that i missed.

I thank you all and please excuse me for my bad English :))

I just wonder if the case has any other front panel version.
No
I mean... if there is some airflow from that side, it would be better to cooling of mainboard components and to push the air to out of case. Honestly, i'm scared of the distance between components and side panels :))
Having the components close to the side panels means they have only one way to draw in air: fresh cool air from the outside. This aids in cooling.
Is the graphics card riser enough for high-end cards?
Yes.
I would be very happy if i can know specifications of riser
3M Flex Riser
^^ Actually i don't trust any kind of extenders :) I think the best one has 8 GB/s width. It means cards will work at 8x or something(?) Please let me know if there is a important thing that i missed.
You are completely incorrect here. The riser is PCIe 3.0 16x compliant, so will support full 16x speed.

I love the tempered glass, but I feel like it will really solidify this as an enthusiast only case with the price. That coupled with only really showing off the GPU makes it seem a bit silly until this case has proved itself enough.

No

Having the components close to the side panels means they have only one way to draw in air: fresh cool air from the outside. This aids in cooling.
Yes.

3M Flex Riser

You are completely incorrect here. The riser is PCIe 3.0 16x compliant, so will support full 16x speed.

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but the 3M link you provided says "8 Channel PCIe" and "8 gbps data rate" (do they mean 8GT/s in transfer rate?), is that really full 16x in the PCIe 3.0 specification?

Hi everybody,

I've just signed up and also my english is terrible :) I couldn't read all of your messages and i just wonder if the case has any other front panel version. I mean... if there is some airflow from that side, it would be better to cooling of mainboard components and to push the air to out of case. Honestly, i'm scared of the distance between components and side panels :))

My second question;

Is the graphics card riser enough for high-end cards? I would be very happy if i can know specifications of riser ^^ Actually i don't trust any kind of extenders :) I think the best one has 8 GB/s width. It means cards will work at 8x or something(?) Please let me know if there is a important thing that i missed.

I thank you all and please excuse me for my bad English :))

Besides EdZ remarks, which are perfect, have a look at this forum thread where Show4Pro is testing PCI-e extenders:
PCI Express Extender Cables Benchmarked

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but the 3M link you provided says "8 Channel PCIe" and "8 gbps data rate" (do they mean 8GT/s in transfer rate?), is that really full 16x in the PCIe 3.0 specification?
yep it is

Still can't decide between the EVGA 1070 SC and the FTW edition. SC could be cooler, quieter and more power efficient, FTW will be more powerful and easier to overclock.

I like them both... suggestions? :)

I suspect it's a typo on 3M's page, and it should actually be "16 Channel PCIe" (or rather 16 lane). The page for their x8 extender correctly states 8 channels. The page for their x4 extender also incorrectly states 8 channels. It seems they've copy-pasted the specs for all extenders. Clumsy. :rolleyes:

They report the same "8gbps" data rate (per lane) for all of their extenders, which is 8GT/s as you say.

Last edited:
I suspect it's a typo on 3M's page, and it should actually be "16 Channel PCIe" (or rather 16 lane). The page for their x8 extender correctly states 8 channels. The page for their x4 extender also incorrectly states 8 channels. It seems they've copy-pasted the specs for all extenders. Clumsy. :rolleyes:

They report the same "8gbps" data rate (per lane) for all of their extenders, which is 8GT/s as you say.

You are right, it is an copy paste error. The 16x cable has four pcie cables and two cables for power. Each pcie cable handle four lanes. So in total 16 lanes. Here is the proof:

pcie3.0c1s59.jpg

Last edited:
dondan I am a backer for the Kickstarter campaign. I am relocating from US to the UK by November permanently. Is it possible for me to update my shipping address to UK? Do I need to pay more?

dondan - I had a question regarding custom power cable lengths. I'm looking at picking up a few cables here for a Corsair SF450 PSU: Custom Corsair SF Series Cables

I'd like these to be as short as possible but I also want to make sure I'm not overdoing it with a shorter length. If I can get away with a 20cm length I'd love to but I have no idea how cable routing works practically in this case. Would 30cm be better? Any feedback is appreciated, thank you

It really all depends on the motherboard. Dondan is using an asrock x99eitx board. If you have the same board then he should be able to give you good measurements. If not I would just wait to receive the case and run your own measurments.

dondan - I had a question regarding custom power cable lengths. I'm looking at picking up a few cables here for a Corsair SF450 PSU: Custom Corsair SF Series Cables

I'd like these to be as short as possible but I also want to make sure I'm not overdoing it with a shorter length. If I can get away with a 20cm length I'd love to but I have no idea how cable routing works practically in this case. Would 30cm be better? Any feedback is appreciated, thank you

It really all depends on the motherboard. Dondan is using an asrock x99eitx board. If you have the same board then he should be able to give you good measurements. If not I would just wait to receive the case and run your own measurments.

I'm also planing on custom cables, and I've looked at trying to estimate the optimal lengths, but decided to wait for the case. Like Ca11idus said, it mostly depends on your motherboard, and its placement of the 24-pin ATX and the 8-pin CPU power connector.

DonDan,

I unfortunately missed the KS. If you are using Backer Kit, would you be able to open it up to let people pre-order?

I would like to reserve an order in case they are all sold out in December.

Thanks!

PS: If anyone wants to give up their Dan Case pre-order. I'm all in.

There were a few in the thread, not so far back (page 156 or there abouts)

Thanks, Jann5s, you were right but it looks like those cases have already been picked up by someone else. I'll keep on the lookout though. I'm sure someone down the line will change their mind.

Anyone wants to buy my spot in the kickstarter please PM. Pay me whatever I paid for during the campaign.

Thanks.

Anyone wants to buy my spot in the kickstarter please PM. Pay me whatever I paid for during the campaign.

Thanks.

PM sent (conversation).

Does anyone have any suggestions about how this would work? Should we do it through Paypal so there are some safeguards? It's hard to trust people over the internet that I don't know, not that m-jeri is untrustworthy, but that I just don't know him.

Thanks for the advice.

Hehehe.

It's ok. I dont know you either. Let me know the way you would like to proceed. If I find that trust worthy, we can go ahead.

However if dondan gave the option to change my shipping address from US to UK, then I would keep the spot.

DonDan,

I unfortunately missed the KS. If you are using Backer Kit, would you be able to open it up to let people pre-order?

I would like to reserve an order in case they are all sold out in December.

Thanks!

PS: If anyone wants to give up their Dan Case pre-order. I'm all in.

I also missed the KS for this. Would be very interested in getting into the first batch one way or another.

1.) I will see that the original country (that the backer selected in the buy process) is different from the shipment address - in this situation nothing will be shipped till the problem is solved.
2.) The main problem is that the shipment address will be change from a none EU country to an EU country. The administrative law process for this is very high, because I already payed the VAT for every EU case to the collection office.
3.) It is up to you selling your A4-SFX, but do it after you have it or sell it in the country you live. I do not support switching from the original country to another.

Also this thread isn't a market place, so please back to topic.

Last edited:
I purchased one for the US. I may end up not using it so I'll revisit here after I receive it~ Already built way too many boxes this year :D

Can any of us help you out? dondan is a pretty busy guy.

Thank you!.

Was just asking if at least I can change my US shipping address to my colleagues(same state. I will be leaving US by Nov end. and my room mate will vacate our apartment by Dec first week.) or if i can pay him the extra for the VAT, so that he can ship the case to UK.

1.) I will see that the original country (that the backer selected in the buy process) is different from the shipment address - in this situation nothing will be shipped till the problem is solved.

2.) The main problem is that the shipment address will be change from a none EU country to an EU country. The administrative law process for this is very high, because I already payed the VAT for every EU case to the collection office.

3.) It is up to you selling your A4-SFX, but do it after you have it or sell it in the country you live. I do not support switching from the original country to another.

Also this thread isn't a market place, so please back to topic.

Hi everyone,

please forget my last mail about changing country. I talked with my tax consult an and he said it isn't a problem to change it.

But there are some restrictions to this so I will decide in every situation new.

How to change my shipping country for a A4-SFX from Kickstarter?

1.) Contact me over Kickstarter so I can assign your name to a backer number and document the incident

2.) Respect the following cases

Possible
  • Switching form a EU country to a EU country
  • Switching from a none EU country to a EU country
  • Switching from a none EU country to a none EU country if the new country that has the same or lower shipment cost from Germany
Impossible
  • Switching form Germany, Norway or Switzerland to any other country
  • Switching form a EU country to a none EU country
3.) Before you change wait on my ok - because I need to make a note for my documentation.

Note: If you sell your case, I don't have a "agreement to sell" with the new owner. So theoretically this person will not have any warranty.
Note: If you switch your country without my ok, I can see that. I will stop delivery until we solve this problem.
Note: If the shipping cost to your new country is cheaper I will not refund any money.

Here are some examples:

Moving from none EU country to none EU country

US to Australia
US: 230€ case + 42€ shipment - 20€ VAT reduction = 252€
Australia: 230€ case + 52€ shipment - 20€ VAT reduction = 262€
So it is impossible 252€ vs. 262€

US to Taiwan
Taiwan: 230€ case + 42€ shipment - 20€ VAT reduction = 252€
So it is possible 252€ vs. 252€

Moving from none EU country to a EU country

US to UK
UK: 230€ case + 20€ shipment = 250€
So it is possible 252€ vs. 250€

Switzerland to UK
US: 230€ case + 20€ shipment - 20€ VAT reduction = 230€
UK: 230€ case + 20€ shipment = 250€
So it is impossible 230€ vs. 250€

dondan

Thanks!!!..

So you can update my address please. And ok with no refund. Thanks a tonne!!!!.

I will hit you over at the kickstarter page.

Is warranty person bound? I always thought that a product as x months of warranty from date of purchase(or receiving in this case) that it is bound to that product.
I'm not quite sure how solid that would be legally or if kickstarters/pre-orders are an exception to the rule.

Although I can understand that the invoice itself is bound to a person
So if person X sells the case to person Y the invoice is still bound to Person X so how would Person Y get warranty? that is only possible when working with a unique serial number for each case because Person Y can now prove he actually owns Case #098923409 that is bound to the invoice from Person X

I might be reading too much into this and this mention by you dondan is more of a disclaimer too prevent abuse of your goodwill :D.

Hi QinX, I wrote theoretically so it is my decision. For Kickstarter I don't have to give any warranty, because Kickstarter is not a marketplace. You support a campaign and the backers will get a reward/present, you do not buy a product.

But as I wrote in my Kickstarter campaign everyone that supports the campaign with 230€+ will get two years warranty on his reward. This is small “thank you” from me to the community nothing I have to do from legal side.

A small Example:
“A reward is the same as a present. If you as a company give somebody a pen as a gift, do you have to give two years warranty? No. But let us say you give two years warranty and if the guy gives this pen to a third person, will this person have 2 years warranty? No, because you don't make the deal with that third person.”

But you are right I will see on the unique serial number how old the case is and when I shiped it. In the end I will find a solution for that guy that sold the case from one of my backers. If you know me I am very helpful. :)

Last edited:
Tried searching the thread but found nothing. Has anybody looked into Gigabyte's Twin Turbo 970? It's an exhaust-type GPU, but with intakes on both sides of the card... Could possibly help with case temps a bit?

Yes this is a blower style GPU and it takes air from outside and inside. But I think the temperature effect for the inside will be low.

dondan

Got a question for you that maybe was answered before...

I've seen that you've used a Silverstone SFX-L 500W PSU in your personal build(s) (correct me if i'm wrong...)

So my questions are:

1. Have you used a Silverstone SFX-L 700W?

2. If you did, could you share the PSU's fan behavior and temps (Cool, warm or hot, what you can feel by touching the panels/psu is ok...) in the Dan A4?

3. Again, if you did and if possible, could you share what components were you using, wattage pulled from the wall, cpu and gpu usage, and all that stuff? (annoying right? sorry...)

I'm asking because i really like the Silverstone SFX-L 700W...

I've seen a lot of reviews here in [H]ardforum, and they say that the fan is load based...

You might have a low watt consumption (so the fan is off), but because of another pc component that is heating up the PSU, this one might overheat and turn off...

Thank you dondan, sorry for bothering you :)

PD: i don't like corsair psu's, i know those are perfect and cheaper but i want a Silverstone psu...

Today I got the final release sample with the number 0001 of the A4-SFX from Lian Li.

It includes:
- the printed carton
- the printed user manual
- the ac power cable out of one piece (not zip ties and heat shrink tube like for the old samples)
- the serieal number label on the backside
- the optimized USB 3.0 internal cable for maximum durableness
- the optimized SFX holder bracket for Corsair SFX support

I will provide pictures on weekend ;)

Here is a small preview:

20160915_0936196ip3y.jpg

Last edited:
Back