DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

I thought this case worked better with open air cards opposed to blowers? Linus says other wise....

I thought this case worked better with open air cards opposed to blowers? Linus says other wise....
Linus recommended the founders card in his last build due to the heat sink, so now I'm a bit worried and not sure what GPU to get at all.

Compare the results from Linus's tests and Dan's tests and see which you prefer
I feel a little better knowing the temperature readings with the case for the MSI GTX 970 . Can someone explain this chart to me though, I'm not following it:

image.png

I feel a little better knowing the temperature readings with the case for the MSI GTX 970 . Can someone explain this chart to me though, I'm not following it:
That's the temperature difference between CPU and GPU temperatures in open air and in the A4. Basically there's no difference - the GPU is 1.5*C warmer and the CPU is 2.2*C warmer in the A4 compared to not being in a case at all. Those are practically within the margin of error.

The OP states that the 'Asus Geforce GTX 1080 ROG STRIX OC' is compatible with the case. But there are three different versions of this card. All seem to be cosmetically identical. Two have the listed size of 11.73" x 5.28". While one is simply listed as "Dual-Slot"
I'm assuming that all of these will fit within the case?

Also Dan! If you wouldn't mind commenting on the compatibility of this build? Wasn't sure what ram I could go with using this Mobo. Please let me know if anyone can suggest compatible ram or if I need to change to another motherboard.

Case: Dan cases a4-sfx
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
CPU: i7-6700k
CPU Cooler: Cooltek LP53 - Thermalright TR-TY100
GPU: Asus ROG GTX 1080 Strix
PSU: SilverStone 700W SFX-L
RAM: TBD
Storage: A-Data Premier 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Misc:
SilverStone cp11 low profile SATA cable
Cablemod short length cables

Last edited:
The ram height has the same limitations as the cpu cooler. So nothing over 48mm. Stay away from ram sticks like the Corsair Dominator Platinum that are 55mm tall and other ram sticks with tall looking heatsinks.

I feel a little better knowing the temperature readings with the case for the MSI GTX 970 . Can someone explain this chart to me though, I'm not following it
It shows the average variation (difference) of the idle/load temperatures
  • using the CPU & GPU on an open benchtable (no case)
vs
  • using them in the A4-SFX.
So the CPU/GPU got on average 3,5/2,5°C warmer inside the A4-SFX under load than during tests on an open benchtable.

EDIT: for some reason it didn't show Ozymandias' post #6041 at the time I hit reply,,,

Last edited:
Ok, just wanted to say this case is probably the best form factor possible for the majority of the PC gamers, who does not need/want SLI/water cooling/big overclocks.

Despite the volume, fits most custom GPUs, does not need case fans and still has good cooling performance. The comparison to the razer core is mind blowing. The only compromises are the need for SFX PSU, no ODD (no biggie) and price (ok, biggie).

I think its the best balance possible of volume/silence/power/modularity. Great job on this. Really.

Last edited:
Ok, just wanted to say this case is probably the best form factor possible for the majority of the PC gamers... Great job on this. Really.

I'm curious to see if any of the big case OEMs jump into this case layout - even on the cheap (e.g., no included riser cable, stamped steel / molded plastic construction). We've seen the MSI Nightblade come close, at least style-wise, if not size-wise.

Has anyone here that has a 5820k and is planning on undervolting experimented to see if a bclk of 125 and a multiplier of x24-x28 while undervolted?

Ok, just wanted to say this case is probably the best form factor possible for the majority of the PC gamers, who does not need/want SLI/water cooling/big overclocks.

Despite the volume, fits most custom GPUs, does not need case fans and still has good cooling performance. The comparison to the razer core is mind blowing. The only compromises are the need for SFX GPU, no ODD (no biggie), and price (ok, biggie).

I think its the best balance possible of volume/silence/power/modularity. Great job on this. Really.

It fits a full size gpu. The psu is sfx.

While I wait for the Dan Case to arrive, I need a new PSU for my graphics card. I wanted to buy a sfx psu now so I can just move it to the dan case when it arrives. Do you guys know of any sfx psu that comes with an adapter to fit in an ATX case?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
While I wait for the Dan Case to arrive, I need a new PSU for my graphics card. I wanted to buy a sfx psu now so I can just move it to the dan case when it arrives. Do you guys know of any sfx psu that comes with an adapter to fit in an ATX case?

Silverstone >=450w sfx/sfx-l psus should have an atx bracket adapter. I am pretty sure Corsair SFX units do not have it

Silverstone >=450w sfx/sfx-l psus should have an atx bracket adapter. I am pretty sure Corsair SFX units do not have it

Corsair units do not have it included, but it is available as a separate purchase…

What motherboard do you guys plan to use in your A4-SFX?

I might wait for Kaby Lake... But if I were to choose now, I'd probably pick the ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac.

I only discovered this case after watching Linus video and wanted to stop by and compliment Daniel on his amazing case design. This is the first small case that truly interested me with its efficient design and use of space while still being practical and offering pretty much full performance. It's fascinating how one man designed this case which doesn't waste any space while all crucial components are able to get fresh air easily. Big companies have lot to learn from this case. I may not ever own it, but it will be interesting to follow other peoples builds.

I might wait for Kaby Lake... But if I were to choose now, I'd probably pick the ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac.

I will go for the "Asus Z170I Pro gaming" with the 6700K and/or its successor. Due to the socket-compatibility and a presumable BIOS-update the mainboard should be no problem. Not sure if I can wait for the 6700K-successor XD

Linus used some custom cables for his build. Because of possible cable management issues I'd like to to that either. I asked dondan in the german Computerbase-Forum which would be the best length for the SF450 cables. I'll keep you informed when he answers to my question.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see if any of the big case OEMs jump into this case layout - even on the cheap (e.g., no included riser cable, stamped steel / molded plastic construction). We've seen the MSI Nightblade come close, at least style-wise, if not size-wise.

in that case Dan should patent this design in the long run...
I wouldn't want just any manufacturer to copy and paste my hard work in theirs...

I don't think big OEMs would try and avoid unneccessarities like 3.5" drives, driving the size up. Also the riser adds to the cost to beyond what the average customer would spend on the advantages of this layout. The only real competition for the A4 right now are similar small-scale projects in this sub that use the same layout (e.g. MI-6 and Hutzy XS)

I'll just be moving over from my Ncase unless a Zen CPU matches my 3570K's performance at a 40W TDP, so I'll be using my P8Z77I-Deluxe

So after kickstarter it will be available in caseking.de, like a regular product, that I can order and recieve in a few days? And, do the 2,5 HDDs need to be of the slim (7 mm) variant?

Yes after I shiped all Kickstarter cases, you can buy it from caseking. The HDDs for the drive bay can be 15mm and the HDD for the front 7mm.

Just watched the LinusTechTips video and I must say this is really impressive. I'll definitely have to pick one of these up when they are available. I'm out in the US, will there be a american shop?

I'll just be moving over from my Ncase unless a Zen CPU matches my 3570K's performance at a 40W TDP, so I'll be using my P8Z77I-Deluxe
So I won't be the only one using a P8Z77I-Deluxe. Still waiting on something worth upgrading to at a decent price, as I only spend more money on essential parts of my rig, ie. case :p

Yes after I shiped all Kickstarter cases, you can buy it from caseking. The HDDs for the drive bay can be 15mm and the HDD for the front 7mm.

hmmm. 7mm in front bay?

specs on web say differently ...

Hard Disk Drives
Note: With SFX-L you are limited to one drive in the drive bay

• 2x 2,5" HDD/SSD in drive bay
    • Bottom drive: max. height 15mm
    • Top drive: max. height 15mm
  • 1 x 2.5" HDD/SSD in front-area
    • Max. height 9mm

So I won't be the only one using a P8Z77I-Deluxe. Still waiting on something worth upgrading to at a decent price, as I only spend more money on essential parts of my rig, ie. case :p
I'm in about the same spot.
There's a lot of good motherboards out, but no CPUs worth upgrading to at this point, especially since I want a lower TDP.

Jezz, I can't wait the case to be manufactured and delivered to all the kickstarters and start seeing nice pictures of different builds and some benchmarks. It'll be a gallery anywhere to put the pics all together?

Will any SFX power supply fit into this case? I was thinking of getting the Silverstone 600W SFX PSU but it's slightly wider (125mm vs 127mm) than the 500w Silverstone PSU that is listed in the OP.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It would be nice to see a 500w or 550w Platinum rated SFX psu as overclocking will be limited on the cpu and moderate at best for the gpu. If Corsair were to come out with a 550-600w SFX-L platinum rated psu, would you guys choose that over the SF450 or SF600?

It would be nice to see a 500w or 550w Platinum rated SFX psu as overclocking will be limited on the cpu and moderate at best for the gpu. If Corsair were to come out with a 550-600w SFX-L platinum rated psu, would you guys choose that over the SF450 or SF600?
Hasn't it been proven that air cooling can give you almost the same performance as water cooling for OC'ing your CPU?

Hasn't it been proven that air cooling can give you almost the same performance as water cooling for OC'ing your CPU?

Well, what I was getting at was that the DAN A4 will have limited cpu overclocking since there is only room for air-cooling. The most optimal for the price and performance is the CryOrig C7, which at best would allow a i7 6700K to run @4.2GHz. Even with a 250W gpu like the 980TI, it probably is not a good idea to overclock. Most of the DAN A4 owners will probably get a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 gpu with moderate overclocking at best. Thus, I feel that a 500-550w SFX psu will be optimal.

I was mainly asking future DAN A4 owners if SFX-L would be more attractive to them if Corsair came out with a 550-600w SFX-L gold/platinum rated psu since Silverstone is pretty much the only option. Lian-Li has limited stock for their 550w and 750w SFX-L platnium-rated psus and offer only a 2-year warranty. FSP is coming out with a 500 and 600w SFX psu option, but it has only an 80mm fan.

Well, what I was getting at was that the DAN A4 will have limited cpu overclocking since there is only room for air-cooling. The most optimal for the price and performance is the CryOrig C7, which at best would allow a i7 6700K to run @4.2GHz. Even with a 250W gpu like the 980TI, it probably is not a good idea to overclock. Most of the DAN A4 owners will probably get a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 gpu with moderate overclocking at best. Thus, I feel that a 500-550w SFX psu will be optimal.

I was mainly asking future DAN A4 owners if SFX-L would be more attractive to them if Corsair came out with a 550-600w SFX-L gold/platinum rated psu since Silverstone is pretty much the only option. Lian-Li has limited stock for their 550w and 750w SFX-L platnium-rated psus and offer only a 2-year warranty. FSP is coming out with a 500 and 600w SFX psu option, but it has only an 80mm fan.

About that water cooling thing.
I am currently thinking about buying this AIO: SilverStone TD03-SLIM
and this GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini ITX

The GPU is 169mm long and the radiator only 120mm wide, this gives a total length of 289mm which is below the 300mm limit. I could even give them 5mm space between each other.
The radiator plus fan is only 37mm thick which is less than the 45mm limit for the GPU so that should fit too. The radiator is 153mm long and Dan says starting from the PCIE connector we have 144mm so this should also fit (I assume).
The critical part were it might not fit is the pcb for the power switch. I don't know how big it is but frankly I don't really care. I can easily mod this part by myself if I have to.

P.S: I already have a Cryorig C7 sitting on my desk which I can use if it doesn't work. If it works I will share it here but first I need the case xD

Corsair SF series is quiet enough and SFX-L over SFX reduces the number of hard disk below the PSU from two to one, and increases weight and clutter. There's not much reason to go SFX-L over SFX now that we have the non-noisy 92mm fan version of SFX.

This statement feels over-conservative. As the temperature of the gpu inside the a4 sfx is generally going to be within a few degrees of that without a case, I expect gpus to overclock to a similar degrees as what reviewers with open air cases are getting.

This statement feels over-conservative. As the temperature of the gpu inside the a4 sfx is generally going to be within a few degrees of that without a case, I expect gpus to overclock to a similar degrees as what reviewers with open air cases are getting.

I am more worried about noise if anything, but never really worried about the temperatures as all the components are so close to the vent holes and thus have quick access to fresh air. The case is so small in even height, that since hot air rises, the excess heat should get out of the case with decent ease even without case fans. That is why I am wondering if I should just wait for a Corsair 550-600w SFX-L psu as those should run quieter and cooler under load especially during the summer time.

You can of course overclock the gpus fairly well, but since the gpu would be so close to the vent holes and the fan speed would be essentially at 80-100% of max speed for high overclocks, it would be really noisy imo.

I don't know of any 1070s or 1080s that require 80-100% fan speed for overclocking. Even with the worst case scenario on the FE there's little need to go over 70%.

Back