DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Backed.

Question will the Asus ROG m-itx board with the power daughter boards fit?

dondan you say that the maximum thickness of a GPU with backplate is 45mm. How much clearance is it between the gpu fans and side panel?

I have a 980 ti Gaming Extreme from gigabyte and it's about 55mm thick

Sorry, not enough that your card will fit :( The Gigabyte 980 ti Gaming Extreme is too thick.

Has any come up with any ideas/solution for the rear PCIe gap? I'm guessing the perfect solution like the Ncase has is impossible until a V2 or later revision.

Has any come up with any ideas/solution for the rear PCIe gap? I'm guessing the perfect solution like the Ncase has is impossible until a V2 or later revision.
I would also be interested in having such a cover. Given these are easily attached afterwards, i'd happily pay for that part if there comes a v2 that has it.

I would also be interested in having such a cover. Given these are easily attached afterwards, i'd happily pay for that part if there comes a v2 that has it.
That would be great, but I doubt many people are willing to tap screw threads.

I would make my own, but the paint matching would be extremely hard or expensive.

I'm already planning on a AIO to feed through the rear IO panel and attach to the side panel to push air through it.

And I am planning on feeding tubes out the back of the case, over the edge of my desk, into a 50mm tube custom-built into the wall that leads up to the attic on the floor above me, and connected to a seriously big radiator in the attic. A bit of a pipe dream, we'll see.;)

It doesn't matter. Radial and blower style GPU coolers will work perfectly.

Reactions: jb1
like this
Can someone help me understand what type of GPU cooler is ideal for this case?

As Dan mentioned, both types of coolers would work great since they are drawing cool air in directly from outside the case. One benefit of this case is that axial fans typically found on non-reference designs also will work great in this case. Many SFF designs have limited air flow and thus blower coolers often work better–– not the case here!

Easy if we had access to the black they use.
It's a simple black anno, any anodizer should have no problem matching it. You'd probably need to get a bulk run of about a hundred for it to be worth paying for the anno since it's such a small single piece.

its at the back of the case! does it really matter if the black is slightly off?! nit pick much?!

edit: fixed quote sorry dude
It does matter to me. This is the only "issue/complaint" I have about the case, which says a lot consider even I know this is nitpicking.

If I could get it 95% or so matched i'd be happy, but that means I have to spend a lot of money on different paint. I might just buy some carbon fiber cut to size and call it a day.

It's a simple black anno, any anodizer should have no problem matching it. You'd probably need to get a bulk run of about a hundred for it to be worth paying for the anno since it's such a small single piece.
It's not anodized.

It does matter to me. This is the only "issue/complaint" I have about the case, which says a lot consider even I know this is nitpicking.

If I could get it 95% or so matched i'd be happy, but that means I have to spend a lot of money on different paint. I might just buy some carbon fiber cut to size and call it a day.

It's not anodized.
It is indeed, read the website again. Only the interior is painted. All the exterior aluminum panels are anodized and the pci plate would be matching those so logically it too would be anodized.
DAN Cases

I saw Dondan will ask if 3M can provide black pci riser (pcb & ribbon I guess). Anyway, I think it would be very nice if possible. Would look similar to this I guess.

Premium Gold Plated 16x PCI-E Extension Shielded Cable Riser (30cm)
We are:

sxXAWF9.jpg

It is indeed, read the website again. Only the interior is painted. All the exterior aluminum panels are anodized and the pci plate would be matching those so logically it too would be anodized.
DAN Cases
there is NO pci plate. that is what we are talking about. the back of the case it part of the frame and is painted. the side and top panels are anodized. he wouldn't get just the back of the case frame anodized then have the interior painted. that would not make any sense.

and on that note: "Colors: Anodized black or silver exterior, matte black painted interior" so the black is matte. matching matte black cant be that hard...

Last edited:
Is there any other coolers that will fit with a slimmer fan? I'm trying to get the BEST cooler/fan combo available. I'm not worried bout sound (although I don't want a jet engine), more interested in cooling. TIA

From what I understand, your two best options would be the Cryorig C7 (fits stock) and the Cooltek/Thermolab LP53 which requires a slimmer Noctua fan. Someone else might be able to provide more info on that though.

The next cases you then will be interested in will be the <4L realm that allows for small-itx up to 180mm graphics cards such as Hahutzy's project. If flex-atx psus, get standardized in their dimensions and more are available, 'big' UCSFF cases will become decently popular.

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work Dondan and I ordered one silver case from the KickStarter!

<4L? Where did you find this?

dondan you say that the maximum thickness of a GPU with backplate is 45mm. How much clearance is it between the gpu fans and side panel?

I have a 980 ti Gaming Extreme from gigabyte and it's about 55mm thick

Sorry, not enough that your card will fit :( The Gigabyte 980 ti Gaming Extreme is too thick.

I have the card, I think at the start of the cooler at PCI bracket just fit underneath edge of the chassiet, but the actual cooler will definitely stick out. So there isn't any option to close the side panel.

But I have a thought in my mind, maybe modding the side panel by cutting out the venting holes and mount a glass panel at your own choice with some aluminium distanser?

If this seemed not to crazy and doable, I might pass the Lian Li wall mounting case, and getting an A4. So please Dondan give some feedback about it ?

I have the card, I think at the start of the cooler at PCI bracket just fit underneath edge of the chassiet, but the actual cooler will definitely stick out. So there isn't any option to close the side panel.

But I have a thought in my mind, maybe modding the side panel by cutting out the venting holes and mount a glass panel at your own choice with some aluminium distanser?

If this seemed not to crazy and doable, I might pass the Lian Li wall mounting case, and getting an A4. So please Dondan give some feedback about it ?

How is the air going to get into the chassis to feed the GPU…?!?

This is 49mm tall without a fan, so it wouldn't work at all. But I do agree with you. I love this little cooler!

From the first page
"PH-TC12LS:
The last test sample is the PH-TC12LS. With it's 72mm this cooler is too hight as well, but after unscrewing the top fan it fits.
You can mount a Scythe SY1012SL12M (12mm) between the top fins and the lower heatplate."

As can also be seen from the first page, in this fan setup cooling performance was much poorer than other third party coolers, but at least this suggests that we may be able to go a little over the specified 48mm CPU cooler height.

If anyone had even the smallest amount of doubt as to if the Gigabyte 1080 XTREEEEME would fit in the A4, doubt no more! :p
JjKvYqr.png

From the first page
"PH-TC12LS:
The last test sample is the PH-TC12LS. With it's 72mm this cooler is too hight as well, but after unscrewing the top fan it fits.
You can mount a Scythe SY1012SL12M (12mm) between the top fins and the lower heatplate."

As can also be seen from the first page, in this fan setup cooling performance was much poorer than other third party coolers, but at least this suggests that we may be able to go a little over the specified 48mm CPU cooler height.

The fan on the PH-TC12LS is 25mm thick, subtract that from the overall 72mm height & you have a cooler that is 47mm tall; the post also talks about adding in a fan BETWEEN the top fins & lower heat plate…

Which means the overall package is still only 47mm tall; you cannot go over the specified 48mm maximum, this includes heatsink & fan combined…

The fan on the PH-TC12LS is 25mm thick, subtract that from the overall 72mm height & you have a cooler that is 47mm tall; the post also talks about adding in a fan BETWEEN the top fins & lower heat plate…

Which means the overall package is still only 47mm tall; you cannot go over the specified 48mm maximum, this includes heatsink & fan combined…
My bad, I didn't check whether that comment about it being 49mm was accurate and was curious as to whether the 48mm measurement was concservitave as we find that with many sff cases you can usually go a little over the specified height.

If anyone had even the smallest amount of doubt as to if the Gigabyte 1080 XTREEEEME would fit in the A4, doubt no more!

you're not missing anything by not owning that card. big coolers like that are a good idea for gtx 480/580/780ti because those cards approach 300W. gtx 1080 is closer to 150W. board makers are just fooling their customers with coolers like that

There is only one acceptable HSF for 115x MBs in the A4-SFX, and that is the Cryorig C7…

CRYORIG C7…!!!

;^p

AMD just announced the RX480 on Computex. It will be fast enough for VR and will cost a mere $199. It should go on sale at June 29, so it should be well on time for the A4-SFX. I'm not a 100% sure whether I will get one, but I'll definitely check out the benchmarks when it arrives.

Back