DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

dondan
I have been waiting for this to come, but a single question is holding me back.
What about European countries outside the Union? Like Iceland, Norway and Switzerland?
Will the german vat be deducted for them as well?

I have seen a lot of strange stuff before, often ending up with having to pay double vat.

It's been covered before, countries outside the EU will have the VAT subtracted from their shipping cost, this is why the shipping to Switzerland and Norway are free. Iceland is not in the list countries.
This is also why those countries can't pick two cases, since the shipping cost is not enough to offset the double VAT cost.

dondan Do you have the option to reallocate the reward limitations? It seems like the single cases will be sold out by this evening while only 10% of 2xsilver is sold. If this is possible, the campaign would be sold out way earlier. Also, with the tremendous start of the campaign whats the reason to wait until it's over before contacting resellers for B2B orders? I guess you have a plan, just asking out of curiousity ;)

Could be possible, depends if a fundraiser can end a campaign early. BTW, we have hit 1K backers now! Congrats!

Does the kickstarter campaign end when all cases are out of stock or?

No, Kickstarter campaigns always have a fixed end date.

From the campain page: "This project will be funded on Tue, Jun 28 2016 5:45 PM CEST."

Hello all. I've been lurking this own post since two months but had to log on today. First, I would like to thank Dan for this awesome project.

Second, the Kickstarter is going pretty well. It would be bad to miss an opportunity to stop the wave in the middle if the hype continues.

You can either go for a bigger batch and cutting prices down (I know more handling though), resulting in even a greater demand.

You could even add some tiers for the second batch with a delivery date further and have that settled already.

I just firmly think it would be a shame to stop a startup growing in front of us. The potential is there and I hope Dan is seeing this also. I may be time to seek for some partners and getting serious.

And since a lot of you are giving their 2 cents here's mine. Dan would shoot himself in the feet aiming his case only to hardcore enthusiast. Yes the price is steep but I really hope it could go mainstream. The money is there, the profitability also. Sure you don't need to be big but at least making some money and be viable. When everybody on here will have their case how he will like and live of his passion? He needs the global consumer interest so stop bashing people who don't have that much money to buy a case. You can make a product accessible to them not the reverse!

Last edited:
Reactions: Woxys
like this
No, Kickstarter campaigns always have a fixed end date.

From the campain page: "This project will be funded on Tue, Jun 28 2016 5:45 PM CEST."

So if you purchased it in time, before the specific tier goes out of stock you arr guarentee a case :)?

I remember some people saying "the dan a4 mini itx case is definitely not going to sellout and just sit there on kick starter like the ncase m1 did, trust me! There's a very little market for that type of pc case blah, blah. It's gonna take months before it does etc. etc."

well, well, well. Them people are wrong as hell haha :LOL: yeah boyy!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm amazed by all the people who think 1500 cases are going to sell that quickly to cause problems. There were only 907 backers during the M1 Indiegogo, for a run of something like 600 cases (according to TechReport). It took about a week for those to be sold. This case is even more of a niche than those were. (And the Cerberus couldn't even get the 600 it needed to get funded - I don't think this will have the same problem, but it's an idea of how tiny these markets are).

Yes, there's a lot of us here who are excited about this, but we're a small group of enthusiasts. I suspect we'll all have plenty of time to get orders in (though of course I hope it's wildly successful because it DOES fit a niche few others are filling).
I remember some people saying "the dan a4 mini itx case is definitely not going to sellout and just sit there on kick starter like the ncase m1 did, trust me! There's a very little market for that type of pc case blah, blah. It's gonna take months before it does etc. etc."

well, well, well. Them people are wrong as hell haha :LOL: yeah boyy!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Haha I remember JoeH823 saying that. Looks like he didn't expect it.

Has it sold out yet? I'm pretty sure there's about 600 cases left right now. :D I'll be the first to admit that it's sold faster than I expected, but my point still stands that there wasn't going to be any panic to be in the first group. People were acting as if they'd miss the window if they weren't on the Kickstarter right when it opened.

Also, with a lot of Kickstarters you see huge numbers the first couple days and then it winds down a bit until the last few days. But yes, they're selling faster than I expected.

Anyway, with the wild success of the campaign, I'm just glad that there's such a well-defined scope of the project. A lot of the big failures occur when demand far exceeds what the company is able to handle or when the scope keeps expanding to meet the increased funding, and the hard limit on the number of cases for this campaign should be a good thing to prevent that, considering it's a one-man company.

Has it sold out yet? I'm pretty sure there's about 600 cases left right now. :D I'll be the first to admit that it's sold faster than I expected, but my point still stands that there wasn't going to be any panic to be in the first group. People were acting as if they'd miss the window if they weren't on the Kickstarter right when it opened.

Also, with a lot of Kickstarters you see huge numbers the first couple days and then it winds down a bit until the last few days. But yes, they're selling faster than I expected.

Anyway, with the wild success of the campaign, I'm just glad that there's such a well-defined scope of the project. A lot of the big failures occur when demand far exceeds what the company is able to handle or when the scope keeps expanding to meet the increased funding, and the hard limit on the number of cases for this campaign should be a good thing to prevent that.
About 390 cases left :)

Is it just me or do the video cards showcased at Computex look bigger and badder than ever?

Is it just me or do the video cards showcased at Computex look bigger and badder than ever?
A lot of board partners are building taller PCB's.
A few are making reasonable cards. personally I'm really interesting in the 10X0 G1 gaming and basic ACX 3.0 cards.

Anyway, with the wild success of the campaign, I'm just glad that there's such a well-defined scope of the project. A lot of the big failures occur when demand far exceeds what the company is able to handle or when the scope keeps expanding to meet the increased funding, and the hard limit on the number of cases for this campaign should be a good thing to prevent that, considering it's a one-man company.
I don't think anyone was panicking.

hey last minute question guys! Does this support the length of Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 which I measured now is like 30 cm long?

hey last minute question guys! Does this support the length of Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 which I measured now is like 30 cm long?
Graphics Card

• Max. Height from bottom of PCIe slot to top: 144mm
  • Max. Width without backplate: 40mm; including backplate: 45mm
  • Max. Length without bracket: 295mm; including bracket: 306mm

For me it looks like the Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 will fit. On my site I wrote 295mm but this is with 8mm of clearance. So in total you have 303mm. So it could be very tight. Maybe I buy a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 and test it by myself ;).

Ugh ... debating between this and the Sentry. Dang you Dan and your compelling SFF case! It's truly a work of art. Maybe I missed it, but is there a compatibility list for what GTX 1080 cards will fit into this case? That will probably be the selling point for me.

Also, congrats on the massive Kickstarter success so far!

Ugh ... debating between this and the Sentry. Dang you Dan and your compelling SFF case! It's truly a work of art.
The next cases you then will be interested in will be the <4L realm that allows for small-itx up to 180mm graphics cards such as Hahutzy's project. If flex-atx psus, get standardized in their dimensions and more are available, 'big' UCSFF cases will become decently popular.

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work Dondan and I ordered one silver case from the KickStarter!

I have a Danish VAT number. Can you deduct the german VAT if I provide you my number on ordering, (which is normal practice btw.)?

Never mind! Found the compatibility list.

Here is a compatibility list for the GTX 1080:

Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition = compatible
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 OC = compatible
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 = compatible
Colorful iGame GTX 1080 X-Top = no data
EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 = compatible
EVGA GTX 1080 Classified = no data
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW = no data
EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid = no data
EVGA GTX 1080 KINGPIN = no data
Inno3D GTX 1080 iChill X3 = incompatible
Inno3D GTX 1080 iChill X4 = incompatible
Inno3D GTX 1080 iChill Black Edition = incompatible
Gainward GTX 1080 Phoenix = high chance
Gainward GTX 1080 Phoenix GS = high chance
Gainward GTX 1080 Phoenix GLH = high chance
Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming = high chance
Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming = no data
KFA² GTX 1080 EX OC Edition = compatible
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X = compatible
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk = incompatible
MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC = compatible
MSI GTX 1080 Armor = compatible
MSI GTX 1080 Aero = compatible
MSI GTX 1080 Aero OC = compatible
Palit GTX 1080 GameRock = incompatible
Palit GTX 1080 JetStream = incompatible
Palit GTX 1080 Super JetStream = incompatible
Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! = no data
[Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme = incompatible

Does the ASUS ROG Strix really fit into this case? That's ideally the card I want, but the dimensions are larger than you specify on your website. How does this fit? Obviously I won't be able to do much overclocking with this type of case, but some of the Strix videos show it boosting to 2 GHz out of the box and that's plenty enough for me. It's really hard to beat that $640 price tag for the ASUS.

The next cases you then will be interested in will be the <4L realm that allows for small-itx up to 180mm graphics cards such as Hahutzy's project. If flex-atx psus, get standardized in their dimensions and more are available, 'big' UCSFF cases will become decently popular.

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work Dondan and I ordered one silver case from the KickStarter!
Yeah, no thanks. Was looking at these two (Sentry and Dan's case) because they're the smallest cases I've seen that can still house a full size GPU. Thanks though.

Last edited:
Backed!

I never thought in all my life I'd spend nearly $300 on a PC case, but the lack of good, SMALL ITX cases are virtually nonexistent and this one clearly appears to be the best.

Ugh ... debating between this and the Sentry. Dang you Dan and your compelling SFF case! It's truly a work of art. Maybe I missed it, but is there a compatibility list for what GTX 1080 cards will fit into this case? That will probably be the selling point for me.

Also, congrats on the massive Kickstarter success so far!
I decided to go with Dan's case since the Sentry should be more easily acquired down the road, and even though the sentry is technically smaller, the shape makes it feel bigger to me.

STX might be interesting in a year or two. ;)
650_1200.jpg

I decided to go with Dan's case since the Sentry should be more easily acquired down the road, and even though the sentry is technically smaller, the shape makes it feel bigger to me.
Well the Sentry is only 2.5" wide ... so it can fit into things like backpacks and whatnot. But the Dan case, despite its size, appears to fit cards that are a bit bigger than reference, if that compatibility list is accurate. The Sentry can fit reference only. The Dan case also costs twice as much. But the extra room for slightly bigger cards might be worth it. I'm still undecided. >_>

So the Cryorig C7 is every bodies choice for this case?

I have been contemplating which cooler to get since I'll probably be putting a 4790k into it. (Actually I am not sure, I can't find any <300$ priced z97 mITX motherboards with Ultra m.2 support and i'd hate to have to lose my m.2 ssd (SM951), so I might upgrade to zen/canonlake.)

Congrats to Dan btw. Can't wait to replace my huge mid tower with this tiny little thing.

I have a C7 with the 4790k.
Don't go over 1.2v and it should keept it under 80 degrees in full load.
Will know for sure when i have the A4.

Now in a Thermaltake V1 Core and an Asus Impact VII with only the included front fan.

Yes, the same for me, the Impact 7 is the only one for M.2 4x support in mitx.

Well the Sentry is only 2.5" wide ... so it can fit into things like backpacks and whatnot. But the Dan case, despite its size, appears to fit cards that are a bit bigger than reference, if that compatibility list is accurate. The Sentry can fit reference only. The Dan case also costs twice as much. But the extra room for slightly bigger cards might be worth it. I'm still undecided. >_>
The A4 is only 4.5" wide, it'll fit fine in a backpack.
Bigger cards is a big deal to me, I don't like the height limit the Ncase has since so many cards are getting super tall now.
Also the Ncase fits in a backpack if you find the right one. :p
The other small issue I have with the sentry is I wish the GPU fan was facing the same direction as the CPU fan, it's doable, but for reasons I forget they decided against it.
So the Cryorig C7 is every bodies choice for this case?

I have been contemplating which cooler to get since I'll probably be putting a 4790k into it. (Actually I am not sure, I can't find any <300$ priced z97 mITX motherboards with Ultra m.2 support and i'd hate to have to lose my m.2 ssd (SM951), so I might upgrade to zen/canonlake.)

Congrats to Dan btw. Can't wait to replace my huge mid tower with this tiny little thing.
I'll be using a C7, but if I'm not happy with temps I might try to get my hands on a LP53.

Only the case body itself is 0,25L smaller. But you can't use the Sentry without feeds and with feeds for horizontal usage or the stand for vertical usage it is bigger.

With the response to the campaign so far, what are the chances of a retail release later this year/early next year?

I have a C7 with the 4790k.
Don't go over 1.2v and it should keept it under 80 degrees in full load.
Will know for sure when i have the A4.

Now in a Thermaltake V1 Core and an Asus Impact VII with only the included front fan.

Yes, the same for me, the Impact 7 is the only one for M.2 4x support in mitx.

Too bad it's impossible to find the Impact 7 any where for a reasonable price. I hate ASUS but i'd give them another shot (And technically, the ASUS mobo I owned never actually failed, just nearly every damn thing else of theirs I bought over the years)

Also I'm not entirely worried about "Full load" since that never happens with any game. Honestly the 4790k is *too much* CPU for most games but that's kinda why I bought it, so i'd never have to worry about being CPU limited. also I couldn't pass up the price tag of 280 bucks

Hi Dan,

1st off, awesome case design! I've been lurking for months and am so pleased to see the Kickstarter doing so well.

I have a question about the case that I cant see has been asked \ answered anywhere (apologies if I have missed this)..........

Do you plan on making a cover to hide the PCIE slot screws like on the Ncase or will this just be a hole? If not in this version then maybe the version 2?

upload_2016-5-30_22-15-53.png

Only the case body itself is 0,25L smaller. But you can't use the Sentry without feeds and with feeds for horizontal usage or the stand for vertical usage it is bigger.
Interesting, I hadn't considered that. :)
Too bad it's impossible to find the Impact 7 any where for a reasonable price. I hate ASUS but i'd give them another shot (And technically, the ASUS mobo I owned never actually failed, just nearly every damn thing else of theirs I bought over the years)

Also I'm not entirely worried about "Full load" since that never happens with any game. Honestly the 4790k is *too much* CPU for most games but that's kinda why I bought it, so i'd never have to worry about being CPU limited. also I couldn't pass up the price tag of 280 bucks
My 3570K @ 4.1 got the hottest while I played Civ V online (aside from benchmarking/ torture testing)

Back