DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

Also sorry for my ignorance, is it possible to use risercard not with video card, but with 4 lane PCIe peripheral card?

Sure is! If you have a motherboard that supports bifurcation, such as the Asrock z170 itx or x99 itx boards, you could even purchase a bifurcated riser card and install two 4 lane PCIe peripheral cards.

One thing I would recommend to anyone looking for sff psu is to avoid sx500-lg from Silverstone. This is last cent they got form me. Love how they are claiming that everything is fine with it but I must be going crazy - I hear galloping sounds coming from it. Only reason to have SFX-L is silence and this PSU is not.

Thanks for the tip of the SF450, was looking at the Be Quiet 400W ... but happy to pay the extra £30 for full modular 80 Plus Gold if it's really quiet as well.

SF450 user here, it's very quiet PSU, I'd say it's the best option for this build.
Far better than noisy and grindy silverstone sf series.

Also sorry for my ignorance, is it possible to use risercard not with video card, but with 4 lane PCIe peripheral card?

Also another Silverstone SF450 user here. I have the modular variant. I could get the PSU to wine under heavy load, but that was with a max OC'd GTX 780 and OC'd 4770k CPU. With the same CPU and OC'd GTX 980, the fan would spin up but was not audible.

Budda5150 's SF450 is the Corsair unit because he says it's far better than the Silverstone SF. It seems to cause quite a bit confusion that there are two PSUs named SF450. I also own the Corsair SF450 and I share his opinion that it's both awesome and silent.

Everyone is always talking about PSU's and showing of what they are going to buy, etc, etc... And the thread is always full of garbage. When you want to find information about the A4-SFX, it becomes very difficult to find.

Everyone is always talking about PSU's and showing of what they are going to buy, etc, etc... And the thread is always full of garbage. When you want to find information about the A4-SFX, it becomes very difficult to find.
I think there should be bookmark links on the 1st post to catalog the information here.

No offense here, however this thread is for people who like to discuss stuff related to the A4, even if it's not directly. Dan already uses blue font so you find the important info faster. The essential info is on the web page and the OP anyways.
Now both you and me are producing OT "garbage", so let's throw in the obligatory "can't wait, only 4 days left until crowdfunding" :)

No offense here, however this thread is for people who like to discuss stuff related to the A4, even if it's not directly. Dan already uses blue font so you find the important info faster. The essential info is on the web page and the OP anyways.
Now both you and me are producing OT "garbage", so let's throw in the obligatory "can't wait, only 4 days left until crowdfunding" :)
Time has been passing by so slowly!

That thing won't compete with A4. Though I wonder what kind of pci riser they are using. Looked black sleeved.

Hi Dondan.

If I place an order this Sunday via Kickstarter, what are estimated shipping time to say UK? I was wondering if anything has changed/been revised since your last estimations. I am in the process of moving so I am trying to work out which address I should order it to.

@ ALL: Great news, I got the ACCRIDET mail from Kickstarter! So the last thing I have to do on sunday is setting the status of the project to live. Today I plan to send out the subscribtions mail if I got the revised version of my proofreader.

case1: Shipment is between Oct. and Dec. 2016. Best case Oct. worse case Dec.

Glad to hear you're ready to go on Kickstarter dondan - been a lurker of this project for a long time now. Plan to preorder as soon as the kickstarter goes live!

Dan do you know what the approximate shipping costs will be to the USA? If you want me to be more specific, the state of Missouri.

October to December shipping dates means US customers can stuff our new Dan cases with black Friday deals...and maybe plug it into a nice new black Friday 4k display. Yum. My wife is going to hate me.

Dan,

Do you know if the gtx 780 classified fits this case? Thank you.

From the specs of evga.com it looks like it will fit.

Dan do you know what the approximate shipping costs will be to the USA? If you want me to be more specific, the state of Missouri.

For one case 22€ and for two 10€.

Customers outside of the EU will not pay the 19% German VAT, but may have to cover local taxes. To make reward tiers handling easier, the VAT tax will be cleared with shipping costs for those customers. Therefore, they can expect to pay much less in shipping charges.

October to December shipping dates means US customers can stuff our new Dan cases with black Friday deals...and maybe plug it into a nice new black Friday 4k display. Yum. My wife is going to hate me.
After seeing 4K at 40" in person, I'm in love.
Now I'm just waiting for something in the right price range with the right specs to tempt me.

Is there a link to the kickstarter that I can send people looking for SFX + full length GPUs? Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm a lurker here but made an account to ask a couple quick questions as I'm thinking of ordering a case once the Kickstarter is live (trying to decide between A4 or ncase M1 for my next build - I'm planning a portable rig that I can pack in my carry-on)

1) are there any limitations (bandwidth or otherwise) on using the Riser cable vs a normal PCI-E slot?
2) will Dominator platinum RAM fit in the A4 or will I need to buy low-profile DIMMs?

3) WHAT COLOR I CAN'T DECIDE!!!

Congrats Dondan!!

1. Dondan is using the highest quality 3M pci riser if I remember correctly. Edit: DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world
2. It depends on the heatsink.
3. Get black, because I want silver! :D

Last edited:
Best case Oct. worse case Dec.

Hey Dan! Those are great news for everybody :)

Quick question:

Are you going to apply the FIFO procedure, First In, First Out?

Meaning that the first who buys, is the first that you ship the case?

Hi everyone,

I'm a lurker here but made an account to ask a couple quick questions as I'm thinking of ordering a case once the Kickstarter is live (trying to decide between A4 or ncase M1 for my next build - I'm planning a portable rig that I can pack in my carry-on)

1) are there any limitations (bandwidth or otherwise) on using the Riser cable vs a normal PCI-E slot?
2) will Dominator platinum RAM fit in the A4 or will I need to buy low-profile DIMMs?

3) WHAT COLOR I CAN'T DECIDE!!!

Congrats Dondan!!

1) The cable is as fast as using the card inside the slot. Theoretical the cable is able to handle the double performance of PCe 16x Gen3
2) No they are to high

3) flip a coin ;)

Platinum are a few mm to tall, but you can unscrew the metal-bar thus making it fit without problem grats

Whaaaaaaaat?????

I can't f#ck%ng believe it! i just realize that they are 55mm tall and the max is 52mm

I was planning to get them for my build on the A4....

F#ck my life!!! I'm so sad...

Those ram's are so good looking... And i won't use them without the metal bar, that will make no sense at all...

Whaaaaaaaat?????

I can't f#ck%ng believe it! i just realize that they are 55mm tall and the max is 52mm

I was planning to get them for my build on the A4....

F#ck my life!!! I'm so sad...

Those ram's are so good looking... And i won't use them without the metal bar, that will make no sense at all...
Yeah.. I know :( And I already have them rams.. Gotta trade with somebody or simply take of the metal-bar. :-(

Hi Dondan, I've been lurking for a bit and I'm looking forward to the kickstarter, but I have a few questions that hopefully you can answer:

How are the thermals for a more modern CPU? Have you tested this case and the coolers in your first post with, say, a Skylake processor?

AIB GTX 1080 cards are being announced today. Here's what an ASUS one will look like: ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Strix GTX 1080

Note the card extrudes above the backplate, maybe by half an inch I would guess? How well do you think such a card will be accommodated in the case? Should I get a card that is flush with the top of the backplate?

Phew, I'm so glad i've already gone with some Vengeance LPX instead. Did not pay attention to memory clearlance in any way...

Dan, I don't know if it's been asked before...but how safe is an m2 ssd in this system? On my mitx board, it's on the back...which means it will be sandwiched in between the motherboard and the gpu backplate. I assume it would get quite toasty.

Dan, I don't know if it's been asked before...but how safe is an m2 ssd in this system? On my mitx board, it's on the back...which means it will be sandwiched in between the motherboard and the gpu backplate. I assume it would get quite toasty.
Nope, he already talked about it and said the temps were fine.

Hi Dondan, I've been lurking for a bit and I'm looking forward to the kickstarter, but I have a few questions that hopefully you can answer:

How are the thermals for a more modern CPU? Have you tested this case and the coolers in your first post with, say, a Skylake processor?

AIB GTX 1080 cards are being announced today. Here's what an ASUS one will look like: ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Strix GTX 1080

Note the card extrudes above the backplate, maybe by half an inch I would guess? How well do you think such a card will be accommodated in the case? Should I get a card that is flush with the top of the backplate?

Regardless, at 298mm long, the card is about 4mm too long for this case.

I am curious about the new MSI Gaming series. On the 1080, at 42mm wide with a backplate I guess this is within the 45mm limit (for cards with back-plates) for this case?
GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G | MSI Global | Graphics card - The world leader in display performance

Heck we may just want to create a list of all new cards that appear to be compatable. I beleive most of the 2 slot, 2 fan models will fit.

Here is a compatibility list for the GTX 1080:

Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition = compatible
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 OC = compatible
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 = compatible
Colorful iGame GTX 1080 X-Top = no data
EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 = compatible
EVGA GTX 1080 Classified = no data
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW = no data
EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid = no data
EVGA GTX 1080 KINGPIN = no data
Inno3D GTX 1080 iChill X3 = incompatible
Inno3D GTX 1080 iChill X4 = incompatible
Inno3D GTX 1080 iChill Black Edition = incompatible
Gainward GTX 1080 Phoenix = high chance
Gainward GTX 1080 Phoenix GS = high chance
Gainward GTX 1080 Phoenix GLH = high chance
Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming = high chance
Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming = no data
KFA² GTX 1080 EX OC Edition = compatible
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X = compatible
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk = incompatible
MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC = compatible
MSI GTX 1080 Armor = compatible
MSI GTX 1080 Aero = compatible
MSI GTX 1080 Aero OC = compatible
Palit GTX 1080 GameRock = incompatible
Palit GTX 1080 JetStream = incompatible
Palit GTX 1080 Super JetStream = incompatible
Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! = no data
[Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme = incompatible

Why does the Asus Strix 1080 fit with a length of 298mm? Yes on my site I wrote 295mm but this value is with a bit of clearance! The maximum length is 303mm ;)

Last edited:

Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 OC = incompatible
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 = incompatible

Thanks for this list. Waiting for the kickstarter to go live!!

Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 OC = compatible
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 = compatible

Why does the Asus Strix 1080 fit with a length of 298mm? Yes on my site I wrote 295mm but this value is with a bit of clearance! The maximum length is 303mm ;)
You're the man Dondan! Thanks!

Back